• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

calder

Subban hasn't gotten an invite for Team Canada which is a joke, Yzerman is an idiot.

No, but Canada has 8 Dmen now and has always been hesitant to replace a guy once the tournament starts except for injury. As Ruff said after they made their last addition (Hamhuis, who has WHC experience and was exactly the sort of veteran stay at home D that they said they wanted to add to their young squad) making any further additions isn't fair to the guys there and can be bad for chemistry. And any additions now means the added player will be in probably one game at most before the quarters.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
No, but Canada has 8 Dmen now and has always been hesitant to replace a guy once the tournament starts except for injury. As Ruff said after they made their last addition (Hamhuis, who has WHC experience and was exactly the sort of veteran stay at home D that they said they wanted to add to their young squad) making any further additions isn't fair to the guys there and can be bad for chemistry. And any additions now means the added player will be in probably one game at most before the quarters.
I get that, but Subban has played arguably his best games of his career in the last two weeks and is better then every single D man on the team currently by a mile. I don't see how you can't invite him if you're serious about winning.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Are people too hard on Price? Perhaps. But on the other hand, there is a lot of handwaving involved to wipe away what have now been 2 really subpar seasons from him.

Yeah, he should be playing like the third highest paid goalie in the league, not just "starting goaltender" level. We've all seen the flashes of brilliance, I don't know why he's so inconsistent, if it's mental, or just the way he plays.

Red_Man

Are people too hard on Price? Perhaps. But on the other hand, there is a lot of handwaving involved to wipe away what have now been 2 really subpar seasons from him.

Yeah, he should be playing like the third highest paid goalie in the league, not just "starting goaltender" level. We've all seen the flashes of brilliance, I don't know why he's so inconsistent, if it's mental, or just the way he plays.
He definitely hasn't played consistently well or up to the play that he's capable of, but the scrutiny he receives is ridiculous. He'll be the first to admit that he needs to be better, but the way the city jumps on him every game he doesn't get a shut out in is crazy. Fans don't deserve him, he'll come back ready to play next season.

Red_Man

Ryder missed out on the final player scrums today, apparently he "forgot about it and missed it". What a joke, hit the road asshole.

calder

I get that, but Subban has played arguably his best games of his career in the last two weeks and is better then every single D man on the team currently by a mile. I don't see how you can't invite him if you're serious about winning.

It's not fair to Subban to expect him to fly to Sweden and expect him to be a top pair dman the day after he gets there to play maybe one game before flying back home of they lose the quarter (which they've done lately), and it's a distraction to the team. Bringing in an older guy to fill in as a 3/4 or 5/6 is something else.

Subban would be there if the Habs didn't make the playoffs, and maybe if they had been eliminated a few days earlier. But to say that him not being there means Yzerman doesn't know what he's doing is absurd, the lockout changed the roster decision timing of this whole tournament - Hockey Canada wouldn't even contact a guy at all until his team was eliminated never mind invite him.

Oh and while HC is serious about winning there is no doubt that the focus is Sochi, not Stockholm. :p

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
He definitely hasn't played consistently well or up to the play that he's capable of, but the scrutiny he receives is ridiculous. He'll be the first to admit that he needs to be better, but the way the city jumps on him every game he doesn't get a shut out in is crazy. Fans don't deserve him, he'll come back ready to play next season.

Yeah, especially the guys reminiscing over Halak without looking at his stats, or injury problems.

I noticed his lateral movement lately had been really lazy looking, and slow, I wonder if his knee has been bothering him. He was really active in goal early in the season.

Red_Man

Subban said he would play for Team Canada 100% of the time if asked, he would have no issue going and playing. He's currently one of the best D-men in the world right now, but I guess it is the shitty tournament no one cares about. Still seems ludicrous imo.

Yeah, especially the guys reminiscing over Halak without looking at his stats, or injury problems.

I noticed his lateral movement lately had been really lazy looking, and slow, I wonder if his knee has been bothering him. He was really active in goal early in the season.
He changed his goalie style this season and some people think that's part of why he had a up and down season. I wonder if it's time for him to move onto a new goalie coach, I doubt he would as he loves the guy he's with now.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Subban said he would play for Team Canada 100% of the time if asked, he would have no issue going and playing. He's currently one of the best D-men in the world right now, but I guess it is the shitty tournament no one cares about. Still seems ludicrous imo.

:lololololol

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

He changed his goalie style this season and some people think that's part of why he had a up and down season. I wonder if it's time for him to move onto a new goalie coach, I doubt he would as he loves the guy he's with now.

I noticed the change, especially him learning to pokecheck finally. He was reacting more instead of just going to his knees and waiting, but that's probably harder on the body, especially for a bigger guy.

Socreges

Banned
Red, Subban not being invited isn't an affront to his sacred ability. calder explained it perfectly. Put away the salt!

Red_Man

Red, Subban not being invited isn't an affront to his sacred ability. calder explained it perfectly. Put away the salt!
Calder's points are valid, I just think they need to make an exception for Subban. I would think the same if Letang was in this situation, especially when Team Canada is dressing guys like Luke Schenn.

Edit: Pietrolangelo hasn't received an invite either which is just as ridiculous.

Smiley90

Calder's points are valid, I just think they need to make an exception for Subban. I would think the same if Letang was in this situation, especially when Team Canada is dressing guys like Luke Schenn.

You're forgetting how little Team Canada cares about the IIHF/World Championships.

Red_Man

You're forgetting how little Team Canada cares about the IIHF/World Championships.
How's that list of 10 coming? :p And yea I know they don't care, but it would be a good time to get some guys on the ice who will play in Sochi.

Socreges

Banned
It isn't that. The most important variable is that it's just really late in the tournament. Guys normally join in after the first round, but the first round normally doesn't stretch into mid-May.

Curufinwe

Edit: Pietrolangelo hasn't received an invite either which is just as ridiculous.

Luke Schenn is a very good defensive defenseman and deserves his spot. He's currently second on the team in ATOI. Harrison or Brodie would go before him.

Red_Man

Luke Schenn is a very good defensive defenseman and deserves his spot.
Only because there are so few quality defenseman to choose from. I don't think many people would qualify Schenn as a world class defenseman.

Curufinwe

Only because there are so few quality defenseman to choose from. I don't think many people would qualify Schenn as a world class defenseman.

I know he will get a nice rest next February when the Olympics are on, but he's not the last defenseman on Canada's current WC roster.

Marvie_3

Banned
A soft goal given up from Huet? Haven't seen that before.

jDYhjeXvfKhsp.jpg

Edit: Didn't realize this was a repeat broadcast from earlier today. :lol

Perfect.

The Isles are a great team, especially with a piece like Tavares. You just need some help in goal and on defense. The Canucks will be sending a Luongo/Ballard package to the island with this in mind, post haste!
Nah they want a Kuba/ Clemmensen package. Much cheaper.

Socreges

Banned
Letang
Green
Weber
Suter
Pietrangelo
Karlsson
Chara
Doughty
Keith
Phaneuf
Get Green and Phaneuf off of there. Ekman-Larson gets a spot and Subban has to be put on for his offensive abilities.

A year ago I would've included Edler (and so would have many others), but he struggled a bit after surgery. Hopefully he's better next season.

Cactus

Banned
Phaneuf would be top-10 if he cut down on the mental mistakes. That's unlikely at this point in his career, though. Right now he's probably somewhere between #15-20.

Smiley90

Canada beats the Czech Republic 2-1 with a Skinner GWG, Hamhuis leads all players in TOI in his first game. Nice.

Switzerland leading 3-1 against Norway halfway through the third period, en route to a 6-0 record.

bremon

Phaneuf would be top-10 if he cut down on the mental mistakes. That's unlikely at this point in his career, though. Right now he's probably somewhere between #15-20.
I could probably agree with this. Most of the TO fans I know aren't as enthusiastic about him anymore as they were when the Leafs got him.

TeethMummy, your Isles deserved better. That was a great series to watch, and realistically the only team I actively cheered for because I wanted them to do well instead of just cheering against the opposing team (after the Canucks got....destroyed...of course).

Red_Man

I think Doughty is ahead of Subban.
Doughty is his closest comparable and last year I would have agreed, but Subban took pretty great strides in simplifying his game this year and improving his defense. Subban is also better offensively.

And it'll be because Subban's black.

/racist

/come at me, kave.
Karlsson plays the white way.

Socreges

Banned
Fan overvalues one of his favourite players. News at 11.

Unless Red is adding value to Subban since he's younger than Weber/Suter, which is fair, but that's a separate conversation.

Fan overvalues one of his favourite players. News at 11.

Unless Red is adding value to Subban since he's younger than Weber/Suter, which is fair, but that's a separate conversation.

Even accounting for age, I'd still take Weber. He's not that old.... That's the only reason I wouldn't list Chara over Subban as well.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't get to see Weber at all this season, but I'd probably take him if he's as good without Suter as he was before.

Socreges

Banned
Even accounting for age, I'd still take Weber. He's not that old.... That's the only reason I wouldn't list Chara over Subban as well.
Yeah, same. Then I could understand taking Subban over guys like Chara and even Keith (who is maybe a little too old to 'build around'). But, again, then we've changed the conversation to make the previous claim seem true (in some way).

I didn't get to see Weber at all this season, but I'd probably take him if he's as good without Suter as he was before.
Still excellent, but the players surrounding him just aren't good enough. Even Rinne had an average season.

Top Bottom