• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Yeah, you tend to think of Boston or Philly (although not so much with their current roster) when you think of tough teams.

Takes time to build up a reputation. Gryba's hit surprised me as much as anyone, didn't think he was that kind of player.

As much as injuries and goaltending were a factor, Habs didn't score a single goal in the 3rd period and I believe you were outshot as well.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
As much as injuries and goaltending were a factor, Habs didn't score a single goal in the 3rd period and I believe you were outshot as well.
They were getting deflated after Anderson continued to stand on his head, it's part of the problem the team has had a for a while and only Subban, Gallagher and Bourque were scoring. It's something they'll over come with experience.

Solo

Takes time to build up a reputation. Gryba's hit surprised me as much as anyone, didn't think he was that kind of player.

To me there were 2 defining moments in the series.

1. Game 3 line brawl. We got embarrassed and you guys got a huge boost.
2. Game 4 Habs up 2-0 going into the third. We sat back like chumps and you know how that played out.

If the brawl doesn't occur and we hold in Game 4, its hard to say how the series plays out.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Boston is overrated, and I think we're seeing that in their series with Toronto right now. If you get sucked into the goonery, yeah they're going to win, but if you avoid all of that stuff and just play hockey, they're not very scary, especially without Thomas in net.

They're still a good team, but I don't understand anyone choosing them as the cup winner, or even coming out of the east.

Prust needs some help in the physicality department, nobody else in the top 9 does anything. Bourque occasionally comes through with a big hit, but not nearly as often as he should, and Pacioretty rarely hits. You don't need a team full of power forwards, but clearly Karlsson was off his game in game 2 when they were hitting him every chance they got, and we've seen the Montreal defencemen turn the puck over after being hit by bigger guys. It's nice to put a little fear in the other team's defencemen when they go into the corners.

Aside from getting a little bigger, it'd be nice to have guys that don't get pushed off the puck so easily and lose board battles. If all of our forwards played like Gallagher they'd be fine.

Red_Man

Boston is overrated, and I think we're seeing that in their series with Toronto right now. If you get sucked into the goonery, yeah they're going to win, but if you avoid all of that stuff and just play hockey, they're not very scary, especially without Thomas in net.
Exactly, it's not a guaranteed way to win.

lamaroo said:
Prust needs some help in the physicality department, nobody else in the top 9 does anything. Bourque occasionally comes through with a big hit, but not nearly as often as he should, and Pacioretty rarely hits. You don't need a team full of power forwards, but clearly Karlsson was off his game in game 2 when they were hitting him every chance they got, and we've seen the Montreal defencemen turn the puck over after being hit by bigger guys. It's nice to put a little fear in the other team's defencemen when they go into the corners.
I agree Prust needs some help in that department, Moen doesn't fight and White is all over the place. Prust can't be depended on to stand up for guys every single time.

Just look at Detroit and the Hawks who are the cup favourites. Hawks use skill and speed, how many goons do they employ? As disappointing as the season the Wings have had they just knocked out one of the best teams in the league through the regular season. I think Bergevin is trying to emulate the Hawks team he was around to help build and I like that. I'd rather watch a skills based team like the Hawks for the next 10 years then a goon-hit everything based type of team like the Bruins. Basically get bigger if we can, but don't give up assets for guys who won't play more then 10 minutes.

Solo

Hawks also have a few guys named Hossa, Toews, and Kane. Nobody on Montreal's roster is on a level close to those guys. Not yet, anyway.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly, it's not a guaranteed way to win.

I agree Prust needs some help in that department, Moen doesn't fight and White is all over the place. Prust can't be depended on to stand up for guys every single time.

Just look at Detroit and the Hawks who are the cup favourites. Hawks use skill and speed, how many goons do they employ? As disappointing as the season the Wings have had they just knocked out one of the best teams in the league through the regular season. I think Bergevin is trying to emulate the Hawks team he was around to help build and I like that. I'd rather watch a skills based team like the Hawks for the next 10 years then a goon-hit everything based type of team like the Bruins. Basically get bigger if we can, but don't give up assets for guys who won't play more then 10 minutes.

Yeah I'm not going to jerk it over player height and weight like hfboards does, but far too many of our players lose puck battles, tall or short. I love watching a fast team play, and prefer it, but Montreal is too far down on the height and weight scale imo, too many small guys, and they're not Gallagher. I don't just mean height or weight when I refer to small guys either, Pouliot wasn't a big guy, neither was Tanguay.

Red_Man

Yeah I'm not going to jerk it over player height and weight like hfboards does, but far too many of our players lose puck battles, tall or short. I love watching a fast team play, and prefer it, but Montreal is too far down on the height and weight scale imo, too many small guys, and they're not Gallagher. I don't just mean height or weight when I refer to small guys either, Pouliot wasn't a big guy, neither was Tanguay.
This is true. One of the biggest issues we've always had is being too small down the middle, hopefully Eller and Gally are given more prominent roles next season to help address this. I want Desharnais gone not because he had a bad year, but because there's no room for him on the team, especially with guys like Gallagher and Gionta still playing.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
This is true. One of the biggest issues we've always had is being too small down the middle, hopefully Eller and Gally are given more prominent roles next season to help address this. I want Desharnais gone not because he had a bad year, but because there's no room for him on the team, especially with guys like Gallagher and Gionta still playing.

Yeah I'm worried DD is going to impede Galchenyuk's progress. Instead of getting some good linemates, and favourable matchups next season, they'll all be given to Desharnais instead. Not to mention first line PP minutes, and most of the offensive zone starts.

Socreges

Banned
Subban got his invite to the Worlds, I can finally sleep at night.

The only one of these that is genuinely a bad move right now is the Moen contract.
Probably no coincidence that he was invited as Schenn was potentially facing a multi-game suspension.

He'll be a huge addition to the PP.

Why I hate Yormark reason number 4683.5

Raises STH prices for new scoreboard, then goes to county to get them to pay for a new scoreboard. Asshat? Yes. Then he proceeds to drop this turd of a remark:

"We're not in the position to buy one. If the scoreboard just collapses next year, which I'm sure it will, we just won't have a scoreboard.''
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flap...rn-of-draft-all-star-game-to-sunrise-cou.html

This cunt.

Scoreboard mock-up looks nice, and according to it we are wearing home whites again.
scoreboard_zps87a8524f.jpg

Red_Man

Team #ColouredHomeJerseys

I'm surprised there aren't more Canuck fans in here talking about the million different things that could happen this off season for them. Guess they're still getting over the shock.

RC

Banned

I'm surprised there aren't more Canuck fans in here talking about the million different things that could happen this off season for them. Guess they're still getting over the shock.

Because a million different things won't happen. With all the no trade clauses and extended contracts we have on our roster. Wholesale changes will be next to impossible.

bremon

Don't even really know what to say. I'm assuming not a lot will change. Roberto and Gillis move to Florida together and star in a sitcom where Roberto plays the goofball to Gillis' Mr. Serious character? Meanwhile, eccentric neighbor Alain pops in unexpectedly in most episodes? I dunno, I've got nothing. My biggest hope for an off-season acquisition is a Henrik and a Daniel who can score goals in the playoffs. Their last names don't have to be Sedin :p.

Because a million different things won't happen. With all the no trade clauses and extended contracts we have on our roster. Wholesale changes will be next to impossible.
Well said.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I like seeing other team's coloured jerseys, but I would also rather look at Montreal's red jerseys as much as possible.

Solo

Chicago laughs in your already out of the playoffs direction.

Not that it necessarily means anything, but ESPN ranked the Habs jersey the best across the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL. Saying a lot for an American publication that pretends hockey doesn't exist 99% of the time. I also say another publication rate it #1.

Red_Man

Don't even really know what to say. I'm assuming not a lot will change. Roberto and Gillis move to Florida together and star in a sitcom where Roberto plays the goofball to Gillis' Mr. Serious character? Meanwhile, eccentric neighbor Alain pops in unexpectedly in most episodes?
This sounds more entertaining then Vancouvers season.

I like seeing other team's coloured jerseys, but I would also rather look at Montreal's red jerseys as much as possible.
I absolutely love the Reds, they're perfect imo. Going to buy a couple jerseys this summer, might go with Gallagher and Prust, but I'm not sure yet.

Socreges

Banned
For me, it's not that. The Canucks organization currently has little idea what it's going to do, which makes speculation kinda silly. We discussed after (and just before) the sweep what we'd like to happen. Right now there's not much to add.

It could be a busy offseason, but for now there's plenty of hockey to watch (NHL + IIHF).

Marvie_3

Banned
For me, it's not that. The Canucks organization currently has little idea what it's going to do, which makes speculation kinda silly. We discussed after (and just before) the sweep what we'd like to happen. Right now there's not much to add.

It could be a busy offseason, but for now there's plenty of hockey to watch (NHL + IIHF).

AIHL too.

Top Bottom