• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Compliance buyouts are gone after this season, I believe.

They're available in the 2013 and 2014 off-seasons.

Under the provisions of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, each team is allowed two compliance buyouts in the next two seasons, during specific windows of availability, as spelled out by the CBA.

The first of these windows opened at 11 p.m. on June 26 and closes at 5 p.m. on July 4. Any player bought out during this window has his cap hit completely wiped clean, but the team must pay two-thirds of the remaining contract across twice the remaining term of the deal. The bought-out players become free agents July 5 and can sign with any team, other than the one that bought out the player.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=675349

Dreger on TSN Radio says Letang has received an 8 year/$7m contract offer from the Pens.

If he doesn't sign...

Edit: He didn't say that they offered him 8 X $7m. Here's the quote: If they have already committed to paying him more than seven million per times eight years, then i don't believe that they're going to panic if the negotiation isn't going brilliantly to start and say alright, let's move him now. I still think that he stays in Pittsburgh, just a bit more time is needed.

Cake Boss

Banned
Letang is pretty much gone at this point, whenever Shero leaks your contract extension then its pretty much set in stone that you are getting traded, he did it with Stall and Hossa.

Letang to be traded at draft /Tabris Guarantee.

Curufinwe

Letang is pretty much gone at this point, whenever Shero leaks your contract extension then its pretty much set in stone that you are getting traded, he did it with Stall and Hossa.

Letang to be traded at draft /Tabris Guarantee.

I tend to agree. Look at their cap situation if they do sign him at $7M AAV.
Stolen from HFB.

Malkin (9.50)
Crosby (8.70)
Letang (7.00)
Fleury (5.00)
Neal (5.00)
Kunitz (3.85)

$39.05M of the $64.3M salary cap spent on 6 players.

cube444

Dreger said this:

"If they have already committed to paying him more than seven million per times eight years, then i don't believe that they're going to panic if the negotiation isn't going brilliantly to start and say alright, let's move him now. I still think that he stays in Pittsburgh, just a bit more time is needed."

So it's possible the Pens have offered Letang let's say $6.5M per knowing full well that they'll go as high as $7M per if they want/have to.

calder

If Vinny is looking for a team that desperately needs a center and has a bit of cap space... hey buddy pick up the phone! As a benefit, he averages like 6 points a game when he plays against the Jets (just under Eric Staals' 7.2 ppg and Malkin's 9.45 ppg) so I'm sure that works the other way too.

imBask

Banned
5 year deal, Galchenyuk demoted to 3rd line centre forever.

i'm getting horrific Gauthier/Gainey flashbacks from your post

"we want to make him a better all-around player so he'll be playing with Moen and Armstrong"
"we don't think that center is a good fit for him"

I CAN HEAR THEM IN MY HEAD, MAKE IT STOP

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
He's not even playing centre right now, we need to get rid of centres not add more of them. Someone take Plekanec off our hands.

If they could get rid of Desharnais, Lecavalier would be welcome. Centre depth would be great:

Plekanec
Lecavalier
Eller
Dumont/veteran ufa

Lecavalier would be on a 3-4 year contract ideally. They could hold onto Plekanec an extra year to make sure Eller is 100%, then trade Plekanec next summer when Eller and Gally establish themselves as top 6 guys.

Alucard

Banned
Dreger on TSN Radio says Letang has received an 8 year/$7m contract offer from the Pens.

Seems like a more-than-fair offer for the Pens to make. I really don't get how they keep other guys on the squad with Letang making that kind of money, though. I see him getting traded by the draft.

Kunitz finished 8th in league scoring this past season. 3.85 million for that? Great signing.

Next up: Dupuis.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If they could get rid of Desharnais, Lecavalier would be welcome. Centre depth would be great:

Plekanec
Lecavalier
Eller
Dumont/veteran ufa

Lecavalier would be on a 3-4 year contract ideally. They could hold onto Plekanec an extra year to make sure Eller is 100%, then trade Plekanec next summer when Eller and Gally establish themselves as top 6 guys.
They're not moving DD though, and Eller needs to be the 2nd C at least, he was our best centre for the last two months. It's not worth having Lecavalier with all the media bullshit that would follow him too.

Speaking during an afternoon conference call, Lecavalier said he's interested in Detroit. "If you just think about the Detroit Red Wings, it's actually a team I grew up idolizing. Them and Montreal were my favorite teams. Ironically, Steve Yzerman was my favorite hockey player."

Asked whether there'd be worse fates than being teammates with Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, Lecavalier laughed. "Definitely, those guys, they're one of the best duos in the league. And I mean, Detroit, they've made the playoffs the last 20 years. They're a great team. They're a great organization.

"It'd definitely be a place that I think I would consider, for sure."

AHLXP.gif

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
They're not moving DD though, and Eller needs to be the 2nd C at least, he was our best centre for the last two months. It's not worth having Lecavalier with all the media bullshit that would follow him too.

I'm saying I'd rather have him than DD if I could choose, even at an extra million. I don't think we'll get much for Plekanec this summer, St. Louis may be the only team in a position to give up anything for him.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I saw on twitter Vinny said he'd be willing to play wing? If so I wouldn't mind Bergevin bringing him in, as long as he can handle the media circus around here.

I'm saying I'd rather have him than DD if I could choose, even at an extra million. I don't think we'll get much for Plekanec this summer, St. Louis may be the only team in a position to give up anything for him.
True, but like I said I don't see Desharnais going anywhere, anytime soon.

Socreges

Banned
Lecavalier, if he's smart, will express interest in every team. A bidding war would obviously drive up his price.

I could see him landing in Detroit, of course, but I feel like they should be spending money on dmen...?

ZeroGravity

I saw on twitter Vinny said he'd be willing to play wing? If so I wouldn't mind Bergevin bringing him in, as long as he can handle the media circus around here.
That'd be pretty weird. He never played wing here, and he's become a really good two-way center, so it'd be a bit of a waste.

Lecavalier, if he's smart, will express interest in every team. A bidding war would obviously drive up his price.

I could see him landing in Detroit, of course, but I feel like they should be spending money on dmen...?

Honestly our D is pretty decent especially with the rise of Kindl and Dekeyser. I expect Smith to have a better season this year and Quincey picked his play up at the end of the season. I would still like a top 3 guy, but won't be worried if we have a Kronwall-Ericsson, Smith-Quincey, Kindl-Dekeyser set up going into next year. Our offense was more of a concern at times than our D, this would address that very well.

Cake Boss

Banned
@reporterchris Bill Daly on #coyotes: "There are relocation opens here."

Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA 3m

Gary Bettman just essentially said that if the City of Glendale doesn't approve the proposed deal, "it won't be playing there anymore".

Nick Cotsonika ‏@cotsonika 56s

Bettman says there is enough time to move Coyotes before next season. But, of course, they have been focused on Glendale.

Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA 32s

Asked Bill Daly if Quebec City is a possibility as a possible relocation for the #Coyotes. "I wouldn't rule it out".

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
RIP coyotes

maybe

unless glendale does something stupid

Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA 1m
Asked Bill Daly if Quebec City is a possibility as a possible relocation for the #Coyotes. "I wouldn't rule it out".

Cake Boss

Banned
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 1m

Gary Bettman:"if we don't have a deal in Glendale, the Coyotes are not going to play in Phoenix next season."

Russostrib Daly said multiple relocation options, but no issues with #Seattle's Key Arena hosting #NHL hockey.

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris 24s

It sounds like the NHL has prepared multiple 2013-14 schedules for Phoenix/Seattle scenarios, etc. Expect release in mid-July.

Oh shit lol.

The deadline is July 2.

Socreges

Banned
Wow, perfect gif

Right now there are several goalies on the market. Which means that no team would bite on Luongo's contract while they've got other options. Which means that he won't be bought out until it's more certain that there are no more suitors (imo). Which means that this go on for a bit longer.

Wow, perfect gif

Right now there are several goalies on the market. Which means that no team would bite on Luongo's contract while they've got other options. Which means that he won't be bought out until it's more certain that there are no more suitors (imo). Which means that this go on for a bit longer.

Yeah but at the same time, no one is going to offer anything realistically enticing, so he should just bite the bullet.

Top Bottom