• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Acid08

Banned
Wow, perfect gif

Right now there are several goalies on the market. Which means that no team would bite on Luongo's contract while they've got other options. Which means that he won't be bought out until it's more certain that there are no more suitors (imo). Which means that this go on for a bit longer.
Well that buyout window is not very big so something will have to happen soon.

Socreges

Banned
Acid, when does the window close for this offseason?

Yeah but at the same time, no one is going to offer anything realistically enticing, so he should just bite the bullet.
A 3rd round pick might be more enticing than a compliance buyout.

The big thing is how much weight Gillis places on the Canucks having a cap hit in several years if Luongo is traded instead of bought out (assuming he retires before his contract is up). He's not really showing his hand.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Gillis is just waiting for the right fleecing, it's coming just wait and see.

Joe Sakic just reiterated that the Avs are excited about selecting No. 1 and Nathan MacKinnon will be the pick.
Dub am cry.

Cactus

Banned
Wow, perfect gif

Right now there are several goalies on the market. Which means that no team would bite on Luongo's contract while they've got other options. Which means that he won't be bought out until it's more certain that there are no more suitors (imo). Which means that this go on for a bit longer.
I agree with you, but I also think that it would be a major fuckup by Gillis if Luongo is still a Canuck when the buyout window closes.

calder

The best offseason ever better start picking up some steam tomorrow....

Don't even bother, nothing's going to happen and draft weekend is going to be a big disappointment like always on the trade front. But at least with the compliance buyouts the Free Agent Frenzy® may have some extra juice.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I wish I had something against Dubbed so I could really laugh at him right now. He hyped up MacKinnon for months... that's gotta sting bad.
I'm not getting as much enjoyment out of this that I wish I was, but seeing how much he spammed us with Mack updates is enough for me to get a few laughs out of the whole situation. I still wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Jones goes #1 to COL.

ZeroGravity

VL said he's looking for a longer term deal. Guess that puts the idea of him signing a 1 year deal to rest.
Yup.

A lot of Lightning fans were hopeful he'd sign a one-year deal with someone and come back next year, but its pretty clear he's done with this organization. Can't really blame him. He never wanted to leave.

The best offseason ever better start picking up some steam tomorrow....

Honestly, the buyouts have made this offseason already more exciting than last years.

Edit: If somehow we get Vinny and manage to resign Brunner:

Z Dats Brunner/Nyquist

Franzen Vinny Brunner/Nyquist

sooogood.gif

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Canucks-GAF, what position should we most likely be picking? Wing or D? With Connauton gone we don't have that many D prospects left (and Corrado might even make the roster), and we're notoriously thin on wing. For C we at least have Gaunce who's apparently making some great progress.

Canucks-GAF, what position should we most likely be picking? Wing or D? With Connauton gone we don't have that many D prospects left (and Corrado might even make the roster), and we're notoriously thin on wing. For C we at least have Gaunce who's apparently making some great progress.
Doesn't matter. Best player available (except for goaltending, we're too deep as it is with that).
Tanking for McDavid already.

Seems smart to me
Tanking? What tanking? They're clearly gearing up for a major cup run. Those three first rounders will convert wonderfully into more veteran players!

gaming_noob

Still waiting for the first blockbuster. Please let it be like the Jays mega deal:

Jays getting Johnson - "HOLY SHIT"

Looks like Buerhle is part of the package - "MEGATON"

That's not all, Reyes is joining them - "WTF BAUTISTA BETTER NOT BE TRADED"

Cake Boss

Banned
The Avs got a sick forward group on paper, if they can fix that defense by signing a couple of guys, they could surprise in the west.

Gotdamn is feaster just dumping these guys to the first suitor?

Whats jones contract look like? Seems like we traded for youth and a much less productive forward.. sigh

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Kuro eat a dick for even suggesting Morgan Rielly may fail!

I'm done with you!
Easy there. I'll get a Rielly jersey when he comes up.

And then I'm going to dig holes all around your house in AC! MwahahahahahhahahahHA

What is Feaster doing...? Even if they are last (and they look like it at this point) there's no guarantee of a #1.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Still waiting for the first blockbuster. Please let it be like the Jays mega deal:

Jays getting Johnson - "HOLY SHIT"

Looks like Buerhle is part of the package - "MEGATON"

That's not all, Reyes is joining them - "WTF BAUTISTA BETTER NOT BE TRADED"

Yeah, because that worked out reaaaallllly well for the ol' Jays, right?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
"I don't plan on giving up the net" -James Reimer to Jonas Siegel when asked about Bernier

I don't think Bernier is ready for Reimtime

RC

Banned
The Flames will draft another unaffiliated high school kid again. Maybe he plays street hockey.

icTiorcJUBt5Q.gif

calder

Watching the TSN draft retrospective about 2003. Awesome to hear about the Pittsburg trading up for MAF. So many memories, Sutter all smiles over getting Phaneuf, how many ppl thought Orton over Staal, etc

That first round, holy shit.

Edit: wow forgot about Hugh Jessiman aka Huge Specimen - was just about to laugh about him until he was interviewed about still trying to make the NHL. Now I'm rooting for him lol.

Always liked Tanguay, gave me his stick one time. Glad that Jones contract is gone, but I actually think he could bounce back last year he looked afraid to shoot. Wish we could have dumped Zanon on the Flames.

Anyway, I'd like if we took a run at Horton or Ference. What else we could do on defense to improve could be just about anything, but there really aren't any truly great d-man this off season.

Strachan (D), Theodore (G) and Weiss (C) will all test FA. Weiss going is the end of an era. It will weird to not see #9 on the roster come opening night. Couldn't ask for a more stalwart of player on and off the ice. Great guy, sad to see him go.

In other news this off season is set to suck horribly. Lost Weiss, lost a future 1C and we'll end up drafting yet another D-man this year and wait 4-5 years untill he can pull his weight. Yet we are still in the bottom of the league for goals and are heading into the season with no actual 1C. Likely Mattias will fill that spot and Shore/Bjugstad in the 2C. Versteeg probably won't be ready for the season start and word is Jovo's recovery is going poorly so he'll be LTIR at the start of camp. I should get familiar with next years pool.

Acid08

Banned
Sharks resign Demers to a 1 year, 1.5m deal.

Basically a "prove yourself" contract. I really like Demers, always have. He was pivotal in our 2011 run and our defense was much worse in the third round after he was injured. At his best he's fast, physical, and has a great outlet pass/point shot. Problem is he has been inconsistent and was injured or sitting in the press box most of last season. I hope this means he'll get more consistent ice time this season, hard for a young dman to find a consistent game when he gets played for two games then sits for five.

calder

Can't hate on Dubbed, so...:( Dubbed.

Lol yeah, Jones to the Avs just seemed so obvious after the lottery.

I'm watching Drouin highlights again wondering of maybe the Jets shouldn't have just tanked when they had the chance in March. Stupid prolonged streak of play just good enough to narrowly miss the playoffs.

Top Bottom