• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Time for some catharsis in the form of roster speculation. (Part 1)

Leafs' UFAs:

MacArthur
Bozak
Orr
Hamilton
O'Byrne
Kostka
Connolly
Lombardi (retained salary coming off the books)

Probable Compliance Buyouts: Komisarek

Leafs' RFAs:

Kadri
Komarov
Colborne
Gunnarson
Fraser

Cap geek says we have $19.5 million in cap space for next year. If Komisarek is bought out it's $25 million.

Time for some catharsis in the form of roster speculation. (Part 1)

Leafs' UFAs:

MacArthur
Bozak
Orr
Hamilton
O'Byrne
Kostka
Connolly
Lombardi (retained salary coming off the books)

Probable Compliance Buyouts: Komisarek

Leafs' RFAs:

Kadri
Komarov
Colborn
Gunnarson
Fraser

Cap geek says we have $19.5 million in cap space for next year. If Komisarek is bought out it's $25 million.

So pretty much all the UFA's are gone minus Bozak at the right price.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Leafs-GAF I want you all to hold your heads high.

9 agonizing years of no playoffs, no high draft picks, constantly being reminded of LOLeafs, Toronto Make Me Laffs, the Laffs and a million other insults and jokes.

Yet despite all that we did something this season that no one thought we'd be able to accomplish. No it's not making the playoffs or even fighting back against the Bruins. What we did is bring back some respect to the Toronto Maple Leafs organization.

For the first time in 9 years you can be proud of the team we have representing us. I love it, I've always found the louder the haters are the more scared they are of what this team may become. I'm sure none of them will admit it but they look at the team and see the makings of what can hopefully become a strong team in a few years.

These next two off seasons in my opinion are going to be very important to determine what this Leafs team will be able to do going forward. We made the playoffs and we got exposed to what our biggest weaknesses are. It's on Nonis and company to now go out and fix those weaknesses.

The future is bright for the first time in over a decade. We are still a few years away from even having a window but it all begins now.

9 agonizing years of no playoffs, no high draft picks, constantly being reminded of LOLeafs, Toronto Make Me Laffs, the Laffs and a million other insults and jokes.

Yet despite all that we did something this season that no one thought we'd be able to accomplish. No it's not making the playoffs or even fighting back against the Bruins. What we did is bring back some respect to the Toronto Maple Leafs organization.

For the first time in 9 years you can be proud of the team we have representing us. I love it, I've always found the louder the haters are the more scared they are of what this team may become. I'm sure none of them will admit it but they look at the team and see the makings of what can hopefully become a strong team in a few years.

These next two off seasons in my opinion are going to be very important to determine what this Leafs team will be able to do going forward. We made the playoffs and we got exposed to what our biggest weaknesses are. It's on Nonis and company to now go out and fix those weaknesses.

The future is bright for the first time in over a decade. We are still a few years away from even having a window but it all begins now.

tumblr_ml1ycwiN8v1qfw572o1_500.gif

tumblr_ml1ycwiN8v1qfw572o4_500.gif

Quick

Banned

BOSS.

izkVq5FEsLwEs.gif

Samyy

tumblr_mipbirDGnW1rv5zh8o1_r2_500.gif

I have real doubts about Bozak or MacArthur coming back. Bozak's stock has definitely risen, and I think there's a team out there that would give him a contract like Grabovski's. As for MacArthur, he's not been bad for his price, but does the front office think he has another 60 point season in him?

Kostka will probably sign with Edmonton.

Head tells me to be optimistic about the coming seasons
but my heart hurts

Merguson

Banned

So beautiful.

0484_izrml.gif

Montresor

Turn your frown upside down.

Thanks for the uplifting post Kave.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Head tells me to be optimistic about the coming seasons
but my heart hurts

Just think of it this way.

Your heart wouldn't hurt as much if you thought this team shouldn't have competing in that series. The majority of us in Leafs-GAF were realistic about our chances in this series. The Leafs actually surpassed what a lot of us thought. Hence why this loss hurts so much.

zroid

Banned

You done good, sir

Samyy

I swear to god I read one article, hear one so called sports reporter, rip into my fucking Reimer tomorrow I will kill them.

I swear to god I read one article, hear one so called sports reporter, rip into my fucking Reimer tomorrow I will kill them.

The Globe and the Star already decided that Kessel and Phaneuf need to be kicked out off the team, and I'm sure the Sun has called for something equally idiotic.

My tears of sadness have gone to tears of happiness.

I am proud to be a fellow Leaf-GAF'er with all of you.

The Globe and the Star already decided that Kessel and Phaneuf need to be kicked out off the team, and I'm sure the Sun has called for something equally idiotic.

Someone on HF made a thread about wanting Carlyle fired. But I guess that was to be expected from there.

Cactus

Banned

The uture is bright for the first time in over a decade. We are still a few years away from even having a window but it all begins now.
sKyp67A.gif

Socreges

Banned

I don't think this has been true of the Leafs. NHL-GAF, myself included, absolutely shit on the Leafs for years, but I feel like they actually get respect now. I know I'm not willing to trash them much because they're actually capable of making me eat my words (eg, I thought they'd make the playoffs this year). If they ever go from '1 of 16 teams to make the playoffs' to a team that actually looks threatening and elite, THAT is when the hate will truly kick in.

I hope Leafs fans aren't just assuming that their team will do better next season. It often doesn't work out that way. I think you'd have to see them as a playoff team again for next season, though. Especially since they have an opportunity to shed some dead weight and pick up some pieces.

I don't think this has been true of the Leafs. NHL-GAF, myself included, absolutely shit on the Leafs for years, but I feel like they actually get respect now. I know I'm not willing to trash them much because they're actually capable of making me eat my words (eg, I thought they'd make the playoffs this year). If they ever go from '1 of 16 teams to make the playoffs' to a team that actually looks threatening and elite, THAT is when the hate will truly kick in.

I hope Leafs fans aren't just assuming that their team will do better next season. It often doesn't work out that way. I think you'd have to see them as a playoff team again for next season, though. Especially since they have an opportunity to shed some dead weight and pick up some pieces.

This Leafs team is far from being finished which is the best thing. The fact that they took Boston to game 7 and were winning 4-1 before their unfortunate collapse is a pretty good feat in itself. Also most of the Leafs players havent even hit their prime yet. If you get the right pieces to fill in, as well as working on your flaws (i.e. Reimer and his rebound control), this team is definitely going to go places that we were hoping for during the rebuild 3-4-5 years ago.

Jayhawk

I am proud of what Leafs were able to accomplish this season, and I'm excited for our players to learn and grow from this and for our prospects to get better and compete for roster spots.

Socreges

Banned
This Leafs team is far from being finished which is the best thing. The fact that they took Boston to game 7 and were winning 4-1 before their unfortunate collapse is a pretty good feat in itself. Also most of the Leafs players havent even hit their prime yet. If you get the right pieces to fill in, as well as working on your flaws (i.e. Reimer and his rebound control), this team is definitely going to go places that we were hoping for during the rebuild 3-4-5 years ago.
This isn't how it works. Not every player gets better throughout their 20s and peaks at the age of 26. I think you'll find that some of those players that you listed have already hit their ceiling. Many players peak in their early-mid 20s.

I definitely expect guys like Kadri and Gardiner to get better, though.

Spike

I have been following the Leafs since the 70's, so I've been witness to some of the worst years that the buds have seen. We are on the cusp of becoming a contender going forward. Of all the things that happened in this series with the Bruins, it really shows us where we need to diversify. Namely, a good face off man, and a deeper defensive unit. Reimer has proven himself as a goalie. We just need a few bigger d-men that can move people out of his way.

This isn't how it works. Not every player gets better throughout their 20s and peaks at the age of 26. I think you'll find that some of those players that you listed have already hit their ceiling. Many players peak in their early-mid 20s.

I definitely expect guys like Kadri and Gardiner to get better, though.

Kadri and Gardiner will get better definitely, Reimer is leagues above what he was last season and hopefully an off-season working on rebound control will get him on his way.

Kessel I think has already peaked and JVR is pretty close it if he hasn't already, but they're already in a good place in terms of their play.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
What is it about the Leafs that bring out the worst in other hockey fans?

Maybe its because I'm American, but I can certainly name 6 teams I hate more than the Leafs. Probably 10-12 if it weren't for Darcy Tucker.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What is it about the Leafs that bring out the worst in other hockey fans?

Maybe its because I'm American, but I can certainly name 6 teams I hate more than the Leafs. Probably 10-12 if it weren't for Darcy Tucker.
Bish put it rather well:

bishoptl said:
Try having the Leafs rammed down your gullet - to the detriment of the home team, for Chrissakes - year after year after year. Especially when they're (redundancy alert!) not doing shit. So annoying, and even worse this year with Toronto in the postseason. Glad this group is off my television and we can wake up from our long short national nightmare.

GO SENS
Combine that with the cocky and arrogant bullshit attitude a lot of Leaf fans have even though their team did jack shit for 9 years and it creates a recipe for hatred.

Leafs did good this year, happy for Leafs gaf to have something worth cheering for anyways.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
At least the Habs and Leafs putting on similar chokejobs as the Canucks makes me feel slightly better. So thanks for that.

Socreges

Banned
It still doesn't come close to the Bruins' own chokejob in 2010 when they lost a 3-game series lead and then, in game 7, lost a 3-goal lead to lose the series. I don't think we'll ever see anything like that again.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Registered players:
Slovenia: 943
Canada: 617,107

lol

Number 943 is too high, around 450 is more realistic.

We have:
-One 'professional' team (which owe over 700.000 € to national tax service and around 2 mil € to other subjects)
-Another one went bankrupt last year (almost all national squad players are product of it's hockey school)
- four semi-professional teams, mostly filled with amateur players. They even have hockey schools
- Three operational ice rinks (and one is under renovation for Eurobasket 2013)
- Clueless national hockey organization

rinse82

So, did anybody else wake up this morning and hope that last night was all just a bad dream?

First thing I did was check the score on my phone =(

Had to watch the game delayed as I was sleeping off a night shift.. had a really bad feeling when I saw the run time on the GCL replay was 3 hours, and that feeling got worse and worse as the Leafs lead grew.. pretty devastated coming into work tonight.

Anyway, was a great ride with the rest of Leafs-GAF, and very much looking forward to doing it all again!!

Socreges

Banned
Number 943 is too high, around 450 is more realistic.

We have:
-One 'professional' team (which owe over 700.000 € to national tax service and around 2 mil € to other subjects)
-Another one went bankrupt last year (almost all national squad players are product of it's hockey school)
- four semi-professional teams, mostly filled with amateur players. They even have hockey schools
- Three operational ice rinks (and one is under renovation for Eurobasket 2013)
- Clueless national hockey organization
Regardless, your guys did extremely well yesterday. Especially Gracnar.

Top Bottom