• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Sorry Leafs fans, but DGB did a pretty great article on the game last night.

Got me thinking. What are "Those Games" for everyone else here?

For me there are a few:

1.) I remember vividly in 4th grade staying up to watch the Flyers get ripped 6-0 by the Wings in the SCF. That's when I knew it was over for the first time in my young life. Never forget.
2.) Fedetenko. Goddamn Lightning. Should have been our year.
3.) Kane. Fuck you Michael Leighton.
4.) Stevens on Lindros... Ugh. True franchise turning point in one hit.
5.) Hasek's diving blocker save from one goal post to the other...

On the other side of the coin:

1.) Six OT game against the Pens.
2.) Game 7 against the Bruins 2010.
3.) Richie's "shift" against the Habs. (Damn 2010 was great.... and awful)
4.) LeClair's "through the net" shot on Hasek.

Socreges

Banned
Dunno if it's been mentioned, but because Minnesota didn't make it to the WCF (which no one really expected), their 1st, now Buffalo's, will be the 16th pick. Pominville trade will continue to look worse in retrospect, I think.

Also interesting (to me): Ottawa, New York, Detroit and San Jose could each make the Conference Finals. If they all do, teams like Vancouver and Montreal move up 4 spots in the draft. But I've got them all losing this round, so I'm personally not going to get my hopes up.

UberTag

My "Those Games" list (not in any particular order):

1) Game 7 against the Flyers 2010
2) MAY DAY MAY DAY MAY DAY - Game 4 against the Sabres 1993
3) Scott Norwood - No Good, Wide Right - Super Bowl XXV
4) Music City Miracle - Bills vs. Titans
5) Dale Earnhardt's crash at the end of the Daytona 500 - 2001
6) No Quitters 4 GAF fantasy football championship game against Dinner Out this past December

And on the flipside...

1) Joe Carter's walk-off home run - Game 6 of the 1993 World Series
2) Crosby wins the Gold Medal Game in OT at the 2010 Olympics
3) Boston Bruins win the Stanley Cup - Game 7 vs. the Vancouver Canucks 2011
4) Buffalo Bills comeback win over the Houston Oilers - 1993
5) LAST NIGHT

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

For me there are a few:

1.) I remember vividly in 4th grade staying up to watch the Flyers get ripped 6-0 by the Wings in the SCF. That's when I knew it was over for the first time in my young life. Never forget.

I feel old.

So I wanted to upgrade my Schenn jersey as I didn't want to walk around with a signed jersey so I decided to buy a new one before the playoffs started.

Trolled by the fucking post office as it came in today.

20130514_164253_zpsc6992f02.jpg

Razorskin

----- ------
So I wanted to upgrade my Schenn jersey as I didn't want to walk around with a signed jersey so I decided to buy a new one before the playoffs started.

Trolled by the fucking post office as it came in today.

Haha damn.

Leafs are a good team, nice to see the strides they've made in building a competent young team. Their performance this year is commendable and I'd be happy with it over what they've done in years past. But losing the way they did hurts even taking that into account.

I feel like I understand a bit about how Milan fans felt after going up 3-0 on Liverpool, only to end up losing that game.

I think Milan giving up a 3 goal lead in the 2nd half was also the first time that had happened in the European Cup/Champions League.

Liverpool and Milan met again in 2007, and Milan won that game convincingly (even though the scoreline was 2-1).

And then there's Bayern's amazing collapse against United in 1999.

And John Terry's bumslip penalty in 2008!

Samyy

Haha damn.

Leafs are a good team, nice to see the strides they've made in building a competent young team. Their performance this year is commendable and I'd be happy with it over what they've done in years past. But losing the way they did hurts even taking that into account.

I can only hope that group takes that loss and channels it into something great next year, I refuse to get my hopes up though that fucking new division -_-.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I can only hope that group takes that loss and channels it into something great next year, I refuse to get my hopes up though that fucking new division -_-.
Subban has said before that there's no such thing as carrying over momentum from season to season, I don't know how other players feel about it, but the Leafs should be better prepped for a similar situation if they find themselves in one again.

Everything was going so well. Haters expecting us to get swept. Expecting Kessel to wilt and for us to get shutout in every game. Then after a bad first game we go on to outplay the Bruins for 90% of the remaining 6 games. Come back from being down 3-1 to tie it behind great performance from Reimer. Kessel with 2 GWG and silencing all the critics. Seguin being a complete bust. Chara getting knocked on his ass every game. Being up 4-1 in fucking game 7 away from home. Then the worst thing in the history of sports happens.

Subban has said before that there's no such thing as carrying over momentum from season to season, I don't know how other players feel about it, but the Leafs should be better prepped for a similar situation if they find themselves in one again.

Yep I'm going to have to agree with Subban on that one. Each team starts the season on a clean slate, in fact this is a very common thing in all sports. Teams will look to build upon their strengths and improve their weaknesses but once training camp starts, there was no last season. There is no taking Boston to game 7 while coming back from a 3-1 deficit. There is no choke. There's only training camp and the season that follows it.

Socreges

Banned
Everything was going so well. Haters expecting us to get swept. Expecting Kessel to wilt and for us to get shutout in every game. Then after a bad first game we go on to outplay the Bruins for 90% of the remaining 6 games. Come back from being down 3-1 to tie it behind great performance from Reimer. Kessel with 2 GWG and silencing all the critics. Seguin being a complete bust. Chara getting knocked on his ass every game. Being up 4-1 in fucking game 7 away from home. Then the worst thing in the history of sports happens.
Shine that turd!

calder

Smith has been good for Canada. I have less confidence in Dubnyk.

I'm mentally preparing myself for having to cheer for Sm*th in Sochi. God it'll be tough.

The Swedes have looked pretty crappy so far in this tournament, but damn playing the host country in the quarterfinal sucks. At least US/Russia in another quarter is guaranteeing a bad result for a good team.

And props to Red_Man, whose energetic campaigning finally forced Yzerman and co. call over Subban. ;) Yzerman does not read GAF (his account was never processed) but I can't prove Lindy Ruff does not. Team Canada will not likely use it's last roster spot you'd have to assume, even an injury wouldn't give them enough time.

Socreges

Banned
I'm mentally preparing myself for having to cheer for Sm*th in Sochi. God it'll be tough.
Sochi is 9 months away and we really don't have anyone quite at the level of Quick, Lundqvist, or Rinne. Price was getting effuse praise some months ago, which I didn't think was merited, and now those people have probably been quieted by how he's done recently.

Here's hoping Luongo, Price, Ward, Smith, whoever have a great first half of 2013/14 and bring that run to Sochi.

Sweep that turd too!

Why you gotta be like this? We're all brothers in elimination.
I think I've been kind, considering. But SuperSonic's post was ridiculous. Sorry for the collateral damage.

Merguson

Banned
Sochi is 9 months away and we really don't have anyone quite at the level of Quick, Lundqvist, or Rinne. Price was getting effuse praise some months ago, which I didn't think was merited, and now those people have probably been quieted by how he's done recently.

Here's hoping Luongo, Price, Ward, Smith, whoever have a great first half of 2013/14 and bring that run to Sochi.

I think I've been kind, considering. But SuperSonic's post was ridiculous. Sorry for the collateral damage.

Smith?

Mike Smith?

EDIT: I suppose you include him in the conversation as he's had better numbers than Price for the past two seasons..

EDIT2: And Luongo.. and Ward.. oh this is good..

The hell are you talking about? Your enormous hatred for the Leafs is obviously making you see things that aren't intended. By no means am I "polishing a turd". Quite the opposite. All i'm saying is that the storyline of the series had been going in a direction that, had we lost respectably in Game 7, I could still be proud of the team and getting the Boston monkey off their backs. However, the massive, inexcusable, trainwreck, fucking disaster of epic proportions, was enough to completely destroy any good thing I could have taken from this series. No amount of damage control can console me from this fuck up. If you think i'm trying to downplay it then you are sorely mistaken.

Red_Man

No way Smith is the starter for Canada, unless every other goalie is injured, Lu will be the starter before Smith.

Red_Man

I have a hard time seeing Price continuing his play from this year over into next season, if he does then Team Canada will have an issue, but I don't think it will be a problem.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
My "Those Games" list (not in any particular order):

1) Game 7 against the Flyers 2010
2) MAY DAY MAY DAY MAY DAY - Game 4 against the Sabres 1993
3) Scott Norwood - No Good, Wide Right - Super Bowl XXV
4) Music City Miracle - Bills vs. Titans
5) Dale Earnhardt's crash at the end of the Daytona 500 - 2001
6) No Quitters 4 GAF fantasy football championship game against Dinner Out this past December

And on the flipside...

1) Joe Carter's walk-off home run - Game 6 of the 1993 World Series
2) Crosby wins the Gold Medal Game in OT at the 2010 Olympics
3) Boston Bruins win the Stanley Cup - Game 7 vs. the Vancouver Canucks 2011
4) Buffalo Bills comeback win over the Houston Oilers - 1993
5) LAST NIGHT
Super Bowl XLII
Super Bowl XLVI
2009 Game 7 Bruins/Hurricanes (I was there)
2010 Game 7 Bruins/Flyers (I was there, again)
2003 ALCS Game 7 Sox/Yankees
2004 Game 7 Bruins/Canadiens
2007 AFC Championship Patriots/Colts

I know people hate when Boston fans complain about losses from the past decade, but the dichotomy between pain and pleasure is amazing/awful.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
LOL HOLY SHIT.

IIHF is on its game. So I've mentioned this a few times before, but the IIHF brings out very humours "power ratings" every 2 days throughout the World Championships. The rankings are serious, the descriptions... not so much. They're hilarious, though.

From today's update, after the USA lost 4-1 against Slovakia:

UNITED STATES
Too bad we weren’t playing the Leafs

LOL. Even the IIHF is rubbing it in.

Here's Russia's after beating Austria 8-4:

RUSSIA
In QF, we win 16-8, in SF, 32-16...no problem

UberTag

2004 Game 7 Bruins/Canadiens

I know people hate when Boston fans complain about losses from the past decade, but the dichotomy between pain and pleasure is amazing/awful.
I was at Game 2 of that series. I clearly had more fun than you did.
Winning in overtime.
Chanting "sweep sweep sweep" as we descended out of the arena.

:(

Slurmer

Banned

For me there are a few:

2.) Fedetenko. Goddamn Lightning. Should have been our year.
3.) Kane. Fuck you Michael Leighton.
4.) Stevens on Lindros... Ugh. True franchise turning point in one hit.
5.) Hasek's diving blocker save from one goal post to the other...

On the other side of the coin:

1.) Six OT game against the Pens.
2.) Game 7 against the Bruins 2010.
3.) Richie's "shift" against the Habs. (Damn 2010 was great.... and awful)
4.) LeClair's "through the net" shot on Hasek.

Important ones to me you didn't mention.
The good:
Roenick knocking out the leafs after kapanen got crushed and stumbled off the ice.
Lupul knocking out the Caps in game 7. I loved that team.
Getting to watch Forsberg and Gagne pay together
Lindros winning the Hart

The bad:
Losing to the Panthers in the playoffs.
All of the Lindros drama and it culminating in blowing the 3-1 lead to the devils.
Getting stonewalled by Patrick Lalime in 2002. 1 regulation goal the entire series.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So, apparently Alex Burrows now has twitter too.

Alex Burrows ‏@aburr14 2h
Hey @kbieksa3 @ryan_kesler I've finally made it to the twitter world. Lets have fun!!

His second tweet:

Alex Burrows ‏@aburr14 40m
@stefanolanni cest quand on commence. Jai hate de vous vpir

... in French, of course.

Not verified yet, but confirmed by...

Strombone ‏@strombone1 1h
If you wanna see a guy get abused by his teammates then you need to follow @aburr14

On that note, Luongo had a twitter conversation with Jimmy Fallon...

Strombone ‏@strombone1 21h
. @jimmyfallon count chocula? That cuts deep Jimmy......
Expand

jimmy fallon ‏@jimmyfallon 12h
.@strombone1 All I meant is that you’re delicious, nutritious, and part of a balanced breakfast.
Expand

jimmy fallon ‏@jimmyfallon 12h
.@strombone1 If it makes you feel any better, I’ve got the same exact physique as Boo Berry.
Expand

Strombone ‏@strombone1 8h
. @jimmyfallon I always considered myself more of a Clooney clone but I guess the cereal guy is the next best thing
View conversation

Top Bottom