• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

You're trying so hard to turn this conversation away from the trade :lol
I still think the trade was shit. But looking back, it's probably negligible shit. Oilers turned down a 1st, 2nd and a prospect. At best it would've been a top 10 pick + a 2nd rounder/prospect.

I'm more than happy with the draft though. Canucks came out ahead.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
No idea who this kid is.

And how long are you going to stand up for players after they bent over thousands of people whose livelihoods depended on them during the lockout?

The lockout killed any sympathy I had for either sides in terms of money and livelihoods.
Now you're blaming the guy for the lockout? He said he would give up the rest of his contract to play again, you're being ridiculous trying to sympathize with how hard Gillis fucked him.

No idea who this kid is.

Now you're blaming the guy for the lockout? He said he would give up the rest of his contract to play again, you're being ridiculous trying to sympathize with how hard Gillis fucked him.
How am I at all blaming Luongo?

Not feeing sympathy =! blame

I think Gillis fucked up big time, but I don't feel that sorry for Luongo. How the hell do you make the leap to blame?

Solo

Habs theme of the draft: pick size, fuck skill!

Can't say this draft is quite giving me the vapors that last year's did.

Red_Man

How am I at all blaming Luongo?

Not feeing sympathy =! blame

I think Gillis fucked up big time, but I don't feel that sorry for Luongo. How the hell do you make the leap to blame?
Trying to tie him to the lockout and for his contract that we would all take and almost one of us would give up like he said he would and using that as a reason to not feel bad for him seems like pretty terrible homer bias.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Leafs are fucked for cap

$19 million when Komi bought out for 8 more players

Gunnar 3 mil
Kadri 3-4 mil
Fraser 1 mil
Franson 3 mil
Colborne 1 mil
Mclaren 1 mil
Bernier 3-4 mil
+UFA (clarkson) 4-5 million

They need to buy out or trade another player (goodbye liles?)

Oh come on, you're blaming the players for not capitulating to the owners absurd demands now? Just stop.
Want me to dig up the lockout thread? Most of the people here were telling the players to shut the fuck up and to go fuck themselves. What's with the sudden 180?

Trying to tie him to the lockout and for his contract that we would all take and almost one of us would give up like he said he would and using that as a reason to not feel bad for him seems like pretty terrible homer bias.
I wasn't tying him into the lockout. All I'm saying is that he makes a lot of money to play a sport. It's hard to feel sorry for anyone in that position. How is that anything related to homerism? I feel the same way to any celebrity, athlete, businessperson in that position. Shit happens? Deal with it, your money puts you in a better position to deal with it than most of us.

MT @THNKenCampbell: Gillis: "Our plan 3 yrs ago was develop Cory and move him for a high pick and that's what we did."

:lol :lol :lol Gillis is so full of shit, it's incredible. If he survives the day with this job, it'll be a crime.

Trying to spin it like Hodgson? Totally different scenario.

Sure Schneider wanted a bigger role: but he got it. Gillis gave him a starter's salary, and Schneider was so convinced that he would be the goalie of the future that he didn't take an NMC/NTC (play well for his current contract and then sign a monster long-term contract after). For the past year we've heard that Schneider is the Canucks' number 1 guy: he started in the playoffs despite not being 100% and he started a majority of games last season. That's not showcasing/developing a young player for a trade; that's grooming the future of your franchise.

Gillis's record with "developing" players is atrocious. I bet next season he'll make Schroeder the second-line centre just so he can trade him at the draft for a winger.

Red_Man

Apparently this artturi kids one of the best pure goal scorers in the draft which is good to hear.

Also this :

His draft-year numbers are better than top prospects Teravainen and Armia were, just under Barkov's.

Quick

Banned
Leafs are fucked for cap

$19 million when Komi bought out for 8 more players

Gunnar 3 mil
Kadri 3-4 mil
Fraser 1 mil
Franson 3 mil
Colborne 1 mil
Mclaren 1 mil
Bernier 3-4 mil
+UFA (clarkson) 4-5 million

They need to buy out or trade another player (goodbye liles?)

As much as I like Liles as a person (seems like a cool dude), Leafs need to lose a defenceman or two.

Want me to dig up the lockout thread? Most of the people here were telling the players to shut the fuck up and to go fuck themselves. What's with the sudden 180?

Hockey came back, we're back to regular discussion. :lol

I do have to say that the lockout's definitely made me less sympathetic (if I ever was) to athletes and their financial "woes".

Next year's pick.

Ah, thanks.

I'm still in shock from the Schneider trade. I'd said that Gillis should move him, I just can't believe that the 9th overall pick was the very best offer out there. For Bo Horvat, a man with this scout blurb at bleacherreport:

Horvat is the type of player who doesn't stand out in any particular area. He'll help a team by contributing in every area, from special teams to faceoffs and everything in between.

That's the guy Gillis felt the team needed?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently this artturi kids one of the best pure goal scorers in the draft which is good to hear.

Also this :

His draft-year numbers are better than top prospects Teravainen and Armia were, just under Barkov's.

Nice, there's some lube for Solo.

Ah, thanks.

I'm still in shock from the Schneider trade. I'd said that Gillis should move him, I just can't believe that the 9th overall pick was the very best offer out there. For Bo Horvat, a man with this scout blurb at bleacherreport:

That's the guy Gillis felt the team needed?
Your first mistake.

Here's a more credible scouting report (Corey Pronman):

Horvat is one of the most complete forwards in this draft. He is tough, hard working, and defensively skilled, with enough offensive ability to project as a scoring line player. He was a top player for one of the best teams in the CHL. He is a good skater, with a technically sound stride, as he picks up speed quickly and easily. He is a strong, physical center who will lay the body, displaying the two-way work ethic NHL teams want to see. He is an aware penalty killer, good at faceoffs, and overall projects as a center who will start his shift in the defensive zone more often than not. His creativity progressed throughout this season, and his puck skills, hand-eye coordination, and playmaking vision all rank as above average; he can flash high-end offensive skill. It is difficult to find a weakness in his game.

Curufinwe

Ah, thanks.

I'm still in shock from the Schneider trade. I'd said that Gillis should move him, I just can't believe that the 9th overall pick was the very best offer out there.

Philly might have given up the 11th and Read. Who knows how many teams Vancouver asked for serious offers.

Philly might have given up the 11th and Read. Who knows how many teams Vancouver asked for serious offers.
Apparently Flyers asked, but they didn't push much. The final 4 was Calgary, Oilers, Devils and BJs. BJs backed out after they re-signed Bob, Canucks would've required severe overpayment from Flames and Oilers and they asked. Devils made the most sense and they were willing to take a hit on value to not have to see Schneider 6 times a season plus playoffs.

calder

I eagerly await being furious at Frolik for wasting a partial breakaway in OT by snapping a wrister square into the goalies crest. I've never noticed Frolik in a game where I didn't think he was underperforming somehow, I'm sure he'll be fine being expected to be a second/first liner on a crappy team. Sigh.

So lets go, Comrie and..... trading 61 for three later picks? Snore.

Top Bottom