• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

iLLmAtlc

Fucking god damn fucking shit. Fuck this. I should have seen this coming. Whatever. Fuck it. Sit there and say "OH YEAH WE WANT TO WIN NOW" and then do the exact opposite. Fuck it. Whatever. Rebuild time. God fucking dammit. FUCK FUCK

I'd give gillis the benefit of the doubt I honestly don't think people were offering much, they knew how much gillis was backed into a corner. Of course, it's all gillis' fault that the Nucks were in such a precarious position to begin with, so fire him for that.

On the positive side, the Nucks added two high end prospects to the farm, and that was desperately needed. All of a sudden the future looks a lot better when you list out all of the prospects/young players:

Kassian
Jensen
Gauce
Horvat
Shinkaruk
Tanev
Corrado

Schroeder >_>

I don't know shit about amateur or minor hockey but there seems to be a lot to like the two 1st rd picks based on what I've been reading online.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Christian-Bale-And-Kermit-The-Frog-Conversate.gif

We drafted a Swiss kid Smiley, maybe you can cream your pants over him in the World Championships 5 years from now.

Well, he has Weber to talk to, so that's a plus.

Smiley90

Edmonton made Gillis a better offer.

You mean Diaz? I don't think Weber will still be playing hockey in 5 years....

The Edmonton offer was what the Canucks asked from Edmonton. Not what Edmonton offered us.

And well... Weber isn't that old yet, is he? Isn't he still in his 20's? Or what's the joke here?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
And well... Weber isn't that old yet, is he? Isn't he still in his 20's? Or what's the joke here?
He's young, just not that great and his development has gone down hill pretty fast.

Reading some of these drafts threads on hfboards are pure gold, and I haven't even gotten to the Schnedier thread yet.

iLLmAtlc

Edmonton made Gillis a better offer.

You mean Diaz? I don't think Weber will still be playing hockey in 5 years....

Dunno what it was but due to the new playoff format I think I'd only be ok with getting one of the big 4 but I doubt EDM would even think about it. I mean shit, the move could keep the Nucks out of the playoffs for the next 10 years or something, that's pretty scary.

Smiley90

Dunno what it was but due to the new playoff format I think I'd only be ok with getting one of the big 4 but I doubt EDM would even think about it. I mean shit, the move could keep the Nucks out of the playoffs for the next 10 years or something, that's pretty scary.

What? No. Our goaltending depth is fine. That wasn't the issue Canucks-GAF was having with the trade.

Trading Schneider over Luongo is fine.
Picking Horvat at Nr9 is fine.
Getting ONLY the 9th pick for Schneider is NOT fine.

ZeroGravity

The Lightning will hire an assistant with NHL experience to work behind the bench with coach Jon Cooper and assistant Rick Bowness. Assistant Steve Thomas, likely an eye in the sky; video coach Nigel Kirwan; and goaltenders coach Frantz Jean are expected to be retained
iboHERVL4t8Dgd.gif

iLLmAtlc

What? No. Our goaltending depth is fine. That wasn't the issue Canucks-GAF was having with the trade.

I was referring to giving Schneider to Edmonton would boost their team a lot, because of how much a top end goaltender can help in the regular season. Given the new payoff format (top 3 teams + wildcard) and influx of la, anh, and SJ into the division, I was arguing that moving Schneider to EDM could dash the Nucks playoffs hopes for years on that basis.

Fucking god damn fucking shit. Fuck this. I should have seen this coming. Whatever. Fuck it. Sit there and say "OH YEAH WE WANT TO WIN NOW" and then do the exact opposite. Fuck it. Whatever. Rebuild time. God fucking dammit. FUCK FUCK

We traded one roster player, acquired two top end prospects and restocked our cupboards, and your only take away is that we're in rebuild mode now?

Hell, if anything, we're in a better position than before.

iLLmAtlc

Yeah, on the return for Schneider front, I really think you guys are underestimating how tough it is to deal when you have 0 leverage. Just look at the Rick Nash fiasco, he is one of the most highly regarded players in the whole league, and the return they got was unanimously lawl'd because of his ntc and revelation that he wants out.

But like I said gillis made his own bed and he should be canned. Howeverm given the situation that gillis put himself in, I'd argue today was a positive day overall.

Assuming if luongo can get over it, which I think he will. I'm more worried about the fans going ape shit everytime luongo has a bad game, so I hope people can chill out.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

That and how it was done. Seeing as Gillis as obvious about moving Schneider, he should have spent more time shopping him, probably would have fielded a larger amount of offers with better rewards.

Yeah, on the return for Schneider front, I really think you guys are underestimating how tough it is to deal when you have 0 leverage. Just look at the Rick Nash fiasco, he is one of the most highly regarded players in the whole league, and the return they got was unanimously lawl'd because of his ntc and revelation that he wants out.

But like I said gillis made his own bed and he should be canned. Howeverm given the situation that gillis put himself in, I'd argue today was a positive day overall.

Assuming if luongo can get over it, which I think he will. I'm more worried about the fans going ape shit everytime luongo has a bad game, so I hope people can chill out.

That's exactly how Gilman explained it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdVYhf6DjBU

I'm happy with the 9th overall, I wish we got a 2nd, but considering how much of a shitshow this ride has been, and how awful it could've gone, I'm just happy we got something out of it.

This absolutely should be a big black mark against Gillis, and it's clear his time is limited. The man got lucky that Shinkaruk fell to 24th. It took away a LOT of heat. This season will make or break his job here.

Socreges

Banned
My post keeps getting blocked. Maybe it's a sign. Not like I'd be saying anything that hasn't been said a million times already today.

That is, all hail Mike Gillis. May his reign carry us into the next millennium, remaining Cupless for centuries more.

I just had the most amazing dream...

Nill wants to move Benn back to Left Wing.

Jamie Benn - Lecavalier - Valeri Nichushkin

MAKE IT HAPPEN NILL!

(Probably wont)

Sibylus

Banned
I understand the whys of this all, but did we really willingly throw a half-decent goalie out of the picture for one I'm not entirely positive we should trust to change out the towels in the locker room, let alone cope in the playoffs? Maybe if he wasn't on a team that seemingly can do nothing but EAT AND MINDFUCK ITS GOALTENDERS.

We brought this on ourselves. We could have committed Jonah to the Pacific while it mattered, but we let that mealy-mouthed Cheshire Cat of a false prophet live it up in that god-forsaken apartment of his as he hext our beloved franchise.

Our hopes are dust and Lucifer dances upon the tear-watered grave of the Vancouver Canucks. Woe to you all, WOE TO YOU ALL.

Sibylus

Banned
Believe you me, I know. I'm just working past the "vociferously religious" phase of this meltdown.

So we make a cripple, bring in guy to replace him, start crippling him too, double down on decision making and dump half-cripple for full cripple, and neglect to even tell him until it's all over TV.

Fuck, now it's just getting funny. Have we opened a circus? Are we going to legit kneecap Luongo and lobby the NHL for a smaller net?

jaybeeze

Believe you me, I know. I'm just working past the "vociferously religious" phase of this meltdown.

So we make a cripple, bring in guy to replace him, start crippling him too, double down on decision making and dump half-cripple for full cripple, and neglect to even tell him until it's all over TV.

Fuck, now it's just getting funny. Have we opened a circus? Are we going to legit kneecap Luongo and lobby the NHL for a smaller net?

stahp

Sibylus

Banned
And holy shit, we traded a half-cripple for a baby! Does GM place even have stroller access?! Well, maybe he'll turn out. I don't know. I should go to bed before I lose complete touch with coherence.

Madness

As a huge Avs fan, is anyone else not surprised they took McKinnon over Seth Jones? I'm seeing some news on Yahoo how it's a shockwave he wasn't taken, but come on. He's a great player, but he's a defenseman. I'm just surprised Nashville took him because they're stacked with solid defense.

I understand the whys of this all, but did we really willingly throw a half-decent goalie out of the picture for one I'm not entirely positive we should trust to change out the towels in the locker room, let alone cope in the playoffs? Maybe if he wasn't on a team that seemingly can do nothing but EAT AND MINDFUCK ITS GOALTENDERS.

We brought this on ourselves. We could have committed Jonah to the Pacific while it mattered, but we let that mealy-mouthed Cheshire Cat of a false prophet live it up in that god-forsaken apartment of his as he hext our beloved franchise.

Our hopes are dust and Lucifer dances upon the tear-watered grave of the Vancouver Canucks. Woe to you all, WOE TO YOU ALL.

And holy shit, we traded a half-cripple for a baby! Does GM place even have stroller access?! Well, maybe he'll turn out. I don't know. I should go to bed before I lose complete touch with coherence.

Jesus Christ.

Bo Horvat is not at all excited about being a Vancouver Canuck.

RC

Banned
Jesus Christ.

Bo Horvat is not at all excited about being a Vancouver Canuck.

And I thought I was having a bad nigjht. I shouldn't have to hold some random woman's hair as she pukes in her toilet. Good thing she's completely passed out, she won't even notice that I'm gone.

Well that was underwhelming, Holland I guess made an offer for Edler that probably sucked and that was it. Also they don't want to go more than 2 years for Vinny, so cross him off the list already.Can't wait to not sign anyone and watch 3 players (2 top guys) walk on friday, going to be great. :/

Cheerilee

Didn't the Canucks give Lou a shitty contract on purpose, knowing they would have to buy him out later, as a sneaky way to get around the salary cap? Of course he's hard to trade. The Canucks are basically hoping that some other team is going to be dumb enough to fund their 2011 playoff run for them.

I guess it wasn't really a sneaky way around the salary cap, since Aqualini won't pay to buy Lou out. The Canucks just mortgaged their future when they signed Lou, and now they're paying for it.

It's also ridiculous how poorly they treated both Lou and Schneider. How hard is it to pick up a phone and say "Hey Lou/Cory, we're having trouble trading Lou as planned, so we're reconsidering trading Cory. Sit tight, and we'll work this out somehow"? I mean, the axe can fall on any player at ant time, but they specifically told Lou that he was getting traded, and told Cory that he wasn't. When that stops being true you should really tell them that.

I wish Cory Schneider lots of luck in New Jersey, and hope they like him as much as Vancouver did.

Osorio

How can you not be excited? Unless you're trolling...

Brodeur is either done or done next year. If nothing was done, you guys would have no reliable goalie to step in. Schneider already has some seasoning on him and seemed ok for stretches. With the defensive system in front of him and his ability to rob the occasional game, goaltending isn't as huge a concern now.

The biggest need for NJD was goaltending, and Lou solved it...so...easily...?

I wrote my post after I took a weed brownie.

Now that I'm back to reality I realize how good a move it was. We were looking for a star forward and I don't think there was any we could pick that would make an immediate impact. Now we have a goalie great for the future, with good goalies in the farm system and I guess Marty Jr. now.

Next up we should go for Vinny

But at least this is vintage Devils. Build from the back. I like it.

yyzjohn

Banned
I sort of feel bad for Canucks fans and Luongo. He's now 34 and the last two seasons weren't great stats wise. He's locked into that shit contract so Canucks can't move him. If his stats continue to decline it could be a long year in Vancouver. I mean fuck Ben Scrivens had a better save % than Lou last year.

I wrote my post after I took a weed brownie.

Now that I'm back to reality I realize how good a move it was. We were looking for a star forward and I don't think there was any we could pick that would make an immediate impact. Now we have a goalie great for the future, with good goalies in the farm system and I guess Marty Jr. now.

Next up we should go for Vinny

But at least this is vintage Devils. Build from the back. I like it.

You have him for 2 years before he is a UFA, and with the Devil's spotless track record of keeping their UFAs....

The Blues didn't draft a single center.

What's a Center when you could have more project Defensemen?

I understand taking the best player available, but Army has to have something up his sleeve for us at Center or we are fucked. Hopefully that's more than just a hope that Vinny signs with us.

Osorio

You have him for 2 years before he is a UFA, and with the Devil's spotless track record of keeping their UFAs....

So a great goalie for 2 years with the possibility of more.

I would say our fortunes are going to be changing, but we also have financial problems that can hamper what we're spending on players.

Once Vanderbeek sells to a group with some pockets, we'll be good. And I think that'll happen before Schneider has to go on the market.

Holiday

Banned

I understand taking the best player available, but Army has to have something up his sleeve for us at Center or we are fucked. Hopefully that's more than just a hope that Vinny signs with us.

It's classic STL. I'll be scratching my head hard if he doesn't make a serious move on a decent playmaking center. And by scratching my head I mean weeping.

Razorskin

----- ------

Obviously Armstrong's got a trade lined up for Desharnais.

yyzjohn

Banned
He hardly played and was waiting on a trade. The year before last the team had the best record in the NHL and he was playing in a tandem. He'll be fine, once the shit settles.

Key point from my post is he's 34. Not an age where goalies start to improve. He's also played tons of hockey in his career and physical breakdown is always a concern. Is playing "fine" good enough? What happens if he's injured for any length of time? From my viewpoint this has the potential to be a disaster for the Canucks.

Quick

Banned
So a great goalie for 2 years with the possibility of more.

I would say our fortunes are going to be changing, but we also have financial problems that can hamper what we're spending on players.

Once Vanderbeek sells to a group with some pockets, we'll be good. And I think that'll happen before Schneider has to go on the market.

tumblr_lytzeymjyK1qcluwr.gif

Key point from my post is he's 34. Not an age where goalies start to improve. He's also played tons of hockey in his career and physical breakdown is always a concern. Is playing "fine" good enough? What happens if he's injured for any length of time? From my viewpoint this has the potential to be a disaster for the Canucks.

He has a long history of success, save for the cup itself. He has no significant injury history. There are plenty of comparables who don't just start walking around with a cane, ie: New Jersey. If he's injured we have a bunch of interesting prospects. And hey, he just had most of a season off, so he's not exactly exhausted.

This is not a Belfour/Joseph2/Giguere situation, though I can understand why a Leafs fan would be paranoid of such a thing.

Holiday

Banned
I'll take one year of a goalie who will never play over 4 years of Desharnais.

Though you should really acquire Plekanec for a good 2 way centre.

St. Louis needs offense much more than defense. I'd take both for your choice of any two wingers not named Tarasenko or Jaskin.

Top Bottom