• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

So the more I read about Morin the happier I am. I think he's a real gamble. Flyers scouts have traditionally been pretty good at identifying talent, and Morin has the potential to fill an important need for any team. Doesn't seem likely he misses the NHL entirely, and in that case at least we get a big roster D-man in a few years. So no matter what we get a future roster player, and there's a chance he develops into something amazing, which would obviously be welcome.

So the more I read about Morin the happier I am. I think he's a real gamble. Flyers scouts have traditionally been pretty good at identifying talent, and Morin has the potential to fill an important need for any team. Doesn't seem likely he misses the NHL entirely, and in that case at least we get a big roster D-man in a few years. So no matter what we get a future roster player, and there's a chance he develops into something amazing, which would obviously be welcome.

Comparable to the kid the Rangers drafted in 2010 McIlrath

Didn't you punch a mirror when they drafted him? Or am I recalling something else

yes....

Although I'm fine with it now. I wanted Fowler but he hasn't been better than MDZ who we already had so I can live with it. Plus the Ranger's defense is "soft", need some meanness back there.

Tabris

OK, I'm now more calm.

There is no doubt at all that Vancouver is in a better position. The draft picks were all quite good (as much as you can evaluate right now until we see results in 2-3 years). There's 2 issues with what happened yesterday:

1) For the first time ever, I feel we truly got robbed.

People will talk about the Kassian / Hodgson deal but you still have to give a player like Kassian a couple of years to mature. Also AV's style doesn't match with allowing a player like Kassian to grow. So judge that deal at the end of this next season.

But this deal here, we gave away a top 10 goaltender who could potentially be a top 5 goalie for the 9th overall pick. The 5th, 6th, and 7th were available. We could have traded to Carolina as they said they would have taken that deal. We didn't want S.Monnahon? Fine. Trade for 5th, then trade down to 9th with also getting a 2nd round pick, like multiple teams did.

Further to that, we should have gotten a player for the now as part of the package. We are in a Sedin window situation and need desperately a 1st line scoring winger. We did not address that concern at all.

2) We didn't handle the personnel in a professional manner. Once again, this isn't a Cody Hodgson situation where he was acting like a perpetuate child and whining to be traded. There should have been a conversation with Luongo before the draft day to talk about the options being considered. It also should have been better handled from day 1, but just talking about this deal here.

EDIT - Free agency day can be where everything is forgiven. If you can get a discounted player to wash out the bad taste in our mouths Gillis and make amends with Luongo, then maybe it will be all forgiven.

Merguson

Banned
Teams can start talking to any pending unrestricted free agent today, correct? Well, the period is normally June 25th to June 30th but they have to push it back for this year.

Cake Boss

Banned
Calmed down a bit, read up a bit more about the Lazer, came around to likening him a bit more.

Had 38 goals, 30 goals came in his last 45 games, apparently his shit start had to do with him trying to work on his defensive game then on December he got back to his game and started to score. Also got intangibles coming out of his ass so that makes sense why Murray picked him.

My favorite pick was Vincent Dunn, kid is a shit disturber that has some skill as well, a day away from being eligible for next year's draft, should be interesting how he develops. Another Gatineau kid to keep an eye on.

We usually have that 1 late rounder that exceeds all expectations and become a top prospect for us, last year was Vikstrand, in 2011 it was Pageau, 2010 was Stone, this year my pick is on Dunn to become that guy.

Our last 2 picks were complete shit though.

Samyy

Calmed down a bit, read up a bit more about the Lazer, came around to likening him a bit more.

Had 38 goals, 30 goals came in his last 45 games, apparently his shit start had to do with him trying to work on his defensive game then on December he got back to his game and started to score. Also got intangibles coming out of his ass so that makes sense why Murray picked him.

My favorite pick was Vincent Dunn, kid is a shit disturber that has some skill as well, a day away from being eligible for next year's draft, should be interesting how he develops. Another Gatineau kid to keep an eye on.

Lazar is also very likely to make it to the NHL as at least a 3rd line player
Pretty safe pick

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Pronger sees some potential in him too.

I think he looks like Pronger's illegitimate son.

Cake Boss

Banned
Why the fuck would be trade for Blum, isnt he a UFa now since Nashville decided not to qualify him?

Plus for Greening straight up? Has to include a 2nd rounder in that deal at least.

Give me Ellis instead please.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Wasn't around much this weekend, so just went back and read all the pages during the draft. Schneider trade reactions were priceless.

Curufinwe

Nolet has done well scouting QJMHL before.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-05-06/sports/31598140_1_paul-holmgren-claude-giroux-scouts

Osorio

Wasn't around much this weekend, so just went back and read all the pages during the draft. Schneider trade reactions were priceless.

I was in Newark for the Red Bulls game with a Devils hat on and when I walked downtown some guy in a Flames hat shook my hand and told me he was jealous. I didn't know wtf he was talking about til much later on in the night though.

Samyy

Just watched Brodeur draft his son
Teared up a little bit
Devils are a classy organization, good move by the Kings as well

Vman

Seth Jones come to us

0SPYJht.png

yyzjohn

Banned
OK, I'm now more calm.

There is no doubt at all that Vancouver is in a better position. The draft picks were all quite good (as much as you can evaluate right now until we see results in 2-3 years). There's 2 issues with what happened yesterday:

1) For the first time ever, I feel we truly got robbed.

People will talk about the Kassian / Hodgson deal but you still have to give a player like Kassian a couple of years to mature. Also AV's style doesn't match with allowing a player like Kassian to grow. So judge that deal at the end of this next season.

But this deal here, we gave away a top 10 goaltender who could potentially be a top 5 goalie for the 9th overall pick. The 5th, 6th, and 7th were available. We could have traded to Carolina as they said they would have taken that deal. We didn't want S.Monnahon? Fine. Trade for 5th, then trade down to 9th with also getting a 2nd round pick, like multiple teams did.

Further to that, we should have gotten a player for the now as part of the package. We are in a Sedin window situation and need desperately a 1st line scoring winger. We did not address that concern at all.

2) We didn't handle the personnel in a professional manner. Once again, this isn't a Cody Hodgson situation where he was acting like a perpetuate child and whining to be traded. There should have been a conversation with Luongo before the draft day to talk about the options being considered. It also should have been better handled from day 1, but just talking about this deal here.

EDIT - Free agency day can be where everything is forgiven. If you can get a discounted player to wash out the bad taste in our mouths Gillis and make amends with Luongo, then maybe it will be all forgiven.

Sign Bozak 5 years $28M and all is forgiven.

If Nolet has a hand in it, I'm happy enough. I thought he always ran the Q, though. This article mentions Todd Hearty is handling the Q out of the 3 scouts working on the CHL.

Overall, I'm fine with the first round pick (though I wanted Zadorov, Morin's an okay gamble.) Hagg was a steal in round two, my favorite pick from yesterday (until we got him, I was annoyed we hadn't traded up a bit for Fucale.)

I'm baffled by the third round pick. It seems like a complete and utter waste.

Everything else seems like low NHL likelyhood projects. Sure, that's what you get with later round picks, but eh. Nothing to be excited about.

In conclusion 3rd round pick why rabble rabble rabble (also goddamnit at Buffalo walking out of the first with Ristolainen and Zadorov.)

Acid08

Banned
Used a regular 3DS for the first time in forever today, that thing is so fucking tiny. I had forgotten how crappy it was.

Socreges

Banned
Didn't the Canucks give Lou a shitty contract on purpose, knowing they would have to buy him out later, as a sneaky way to get around the salary cap? Of course he's hard to trade. The Canucks are basically hoping that some other team is going to be dumb enough to fund their 2011 playoff run for them.

I guess it wasn't really a sneaky way around the salary cap, since Aqualini won't pay to buy Lou out. The Canucks just mortgaged their future when they signed Lou, and now they're paying for it.

It's also ridiculous how poorly they treated both Lou and Schneider. How hard is it to pick up a phone and say "Hey Lou/Cory, we're having trouble trading Lou as planned, so we're reconsidering trading Cory. Sit tight, and we'll work this out somehow"? I mean, the axe can fall on any player at ant time, but they specifically told Lou that he was getting traded, and told Cory that he wasn't. When that stops being true you should really tell them that.

I wish Cory Schneider lots of luck in New Jersey, and hope they like him as much as Vancouver did.
.... the hell are you talking about?

Merguson

Banned
Keith Ballard on waivers. However, as Bob McKenzie notes, this is not the waivers required for the compliance buyout.

Why is Ballard on regular waivers?

Just buy him out ffs

I suppose their owner is being pretty stingy about handing out money for nothing, basically.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Keith Ballard on waivers. However, as Bob McKenzie notes, this is not the waivers required for the compliance buyout.

I suppose their owner is being pretty stingy about handing out money for nothing, basically.

But compliance buyouts are calculated as part of the 50% player share

Cactus

Banned
Still way better than the Smith contract...

Komarov is officially gone
So long sweet prince

Supposedly he has an out clause after the first year. The Leafs have retained his rights, just in case. I doubt he comes back, though. The KHL will always offer him more minutes and more money.

Marvie_3

Banned
Used a regular 3DS for the first time in forever today, that thing is so fucking tiny. I had forgotten how crappy it was.

That's how I felt the day I got my XL. I was more than happy to send that thing off to the person that bought it from me on Amazon.

Top Bottom