• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Since he left as an RFA, does that mean that the Leafs control his NHL rights if he were to return in a year or two?

Nope

We didn't have his rights afaik when he came back to sign with us and we drafted him

It would have been nice to have him on the 4th line again

Edit: seems like I'm wrong, we own him until he's an old man

Edit: seems like I'm wrong about being wrong

After not signing for 2 years, he becomes UFA again. We didn't have his rights when we signed him and if he waits 2 years we won't have his rights again

Cactus

Banned
Nope

We didn't have his rights afaik when he came back to sign with us and we drafted him

It would have been nice to have him on the 4th line again

Edit: seems like I'm wrong, we own him until he's an old man

Edit: seems like I'm wrong about being wrong

After not signing for 2 years, he becomes UFA again. We didn't have his rights when we signed him and if he waits 2 years we won't have his rights again

The Leafs owned his rights when he signed here last summer. The Leafs own his rights for one more year (so if he opts out of his KHL deal next summer, he can only sign with the Leafs), but he'd be a UFA the year after.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The Leafs owned his rights when he signed here last summer. The Leafs own his rights for one more year (so if he opts out of his KHL deal next summer, he can only sign with the Leafs), but he'd be a UFA the year after.

He never signed

Which means he was a UFA since 2008-09 season

Leafs lose his rights when he turns 27

That's my main concern with the deal. I'm afraid of this turning into another Steve Mason type situation. I wanted something like 4.5 mil with additional performance bonuses.

It's a fucking 2 year deal. You guys have Brad Richards signed for 9 years. You also seem to have forgotten the ridiculous contracts you handed out to guys like Bobby Holik, Scott Gomez, Darius Kasparaitis, and Wade Redden?

All those guys were UFAs. Apples and Oranges.

Marvie_3

Banned
All those guys were UFAs. Apples and Oranges.

The only apples and oranges about it is that it's not a stupid contract like the ones I mentioned. Bob would have gotten that money from somewhere and it's a smart length on the deal. It's ok though. I'd be butthurt about other teams having smarter GMs if I was a Rangers fan too though.

The only apples and oranges about it is that it's not a stupid contract like the ones I mentioned. Bob would have gotten that money from somewhere and it's a smart length on the deal. It's ok though. I'd be butthurt about other teams having smarter GMs if I was a Rangers fan too though.

The fact that he would have gotten that money off of 1 good year doesn't make it right at all. What did we have the lockout for? That same argument can be used for the UFAs you mentioned. The contract those other guys got, they got on the open market after years of doing what they did. Columbus just gave a fortune to a guy whose rights they controlled after 1 good year that didn't even result in the playoffs. GMs give retarded deals to RFAs constantly. The Rangers have been one of the best teams in that regard.

android

Theoretical Magician
The fact that he would have gotten that money off of 1 good year doesn't make it right at all. What did we have the lockout for? That same argument can be used for the UFAs you mentioned. The contract those other guys got, they got on the open market after years of doing what they did. Columbus just gave a fortune to a guy whose rights they controlled after 1 good year that didn't even result in the playoffs. GMs give retarded deals to RFAs constantly. The Rangers have been one of the best teams in that regard.

ya but its a two year deal...so if he is a one hit wonder they arent locked in... and if he continues to improve or maintain contract extension in the 2nd year. It's actual a very smart deal to reward and lockup a Vezina trophy winner yet avoid a long contract to someone without a track record. It also avoids offer sheets which could have bankrupted the team... Philly offers 7.5 for ten years..now you gotta match Columbus or lose him.

ya but its a two year deal...so if he is a one hit wonder they arent locked in... and if he continues to improve or maintain contract extension in the 2nd year. It's actual a very smart deal to reward and lockup a Vezina trophy winner yet avoid a long contract to someone without a track record.

I have no problem with the length, but that money is crazy for a guy who doesn't have a playoff game to his name, other than in a relief roll. (Correct me if im wrong Flyers guys).

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So... with Schneider gone and Ballard most likely bought out, and Eriksson/Lack as our backup, we'll have..

7.3 Mio in Cap Space. Not that bad. With that we need...

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Booth
Hansen-xxx-xxx
Sestito-xxx-Kassian

Centers could be Schroeder and Lapierre that need to be resigned. 3rd line RW is probably gonna be Jensen for 860k.

D we're set if we resign Tanev, which we most definitely should.

So... with Jensen called up, we'll have 6.5 Mio to resign Lapierre/Schroeder/Weise/Tanev. Not that bad anymore.

EDIT: That is assuming Roy is gone.

If nobody picks up Ballard what's the situation for Canucks cap?

Ballard in the minors doesn't really change that much, although I'm REALLY surprised we're not buying him out. Maybe we're first checking if somebody picks him up from Waivers and if nobody does we'll buy him out? Come on Aquilani, if you can't afford to buy out Luongo, at least buy out Ballard -.-

android

Theoretical Magician
I have no problem with the length, but that money is crazy for a guy who doesn't have a playoff game to his name, other than in a relief roll. (Correct me if im wrong Flyers guys).
Actually it isnt crazy money...It's a reward for being the leagues best goalie last year.. yet isnt a backbreaking term..offer sheets would have added at least a million to that total and probably 5 years.

Marvie_3

Banned
Nice job ignoring the fact that he was the biggest reason for Columbus coming within a point of making the playoffs instead of finishing in 30th like most people had pegged them for. Apparently a few playoff games is far more important than putting a bad team on his back and coming a point away from pulling off a miracle.

Nice job ignoring the fact that he was the biggest reason for Columbus coming within a point of making the playoffs instead of finishing in 30th like most people had pegged them for. Apparently a few playoff games is far more important than putting a bad team on his back and coming a point away from pulling off a miracle.

We're handing out accolades for "almost" now?

Cactus

Banned
Ballard in the minors doesn't really change that much, although I'm REALLY surprised we're not buying him out. Maybe we're first checking if somebody picks him up from Waivers and if nobody does we'll buy him out? Come on Aquilani, if you can't afford to buy out Luongo, at least buy out Ballard -.-

It would be crazy to bury him and keep the cap hit instead of buying him out. There's no way Gillis/Aquilani go that route.

Smiley90

He was the best player on the team. I'd be EXTREMELY happy if I was able to sign the best player on my team for 5 million for only 2 years. Less money than worse goaltenders and short-term if he declines. I don't see anything wrong with this.

It would be crazy to bury him and keep the cap hit instead of buying him out. There's no way Gillis/Aquilani go that route.

We'll see. After yesterday...

iLLmAtlc

Good deal for Bobrovsky. Jackets have cap space to burn and they absolutely needed to get him signed for the sake of the fans. There were more considerations here than typical achievement, salary and cap hit analysis. My only concern is the basis for his demand is having won a vezina in half a season essentially, the landscape could have looked a lot different after 82 games. I'm thinking about the one year where Byfuglien was in the Norris consideration at the half way point but didn't even get nominated. I really wish the Jackets can have a good season this year, I have a lot of respect for their ownership for their willingness to spend.

Anyway looks like Nucks clearing up cap space, exciting given the talent available in FA. Bold and aggressive move coming up, vinny 2 years 20 million.

Marvie_3

Banned
I can see why you wouldn't think almost making the playoffs is a huge deal for Columbus. After all, you're the one that quit on your team and acted like a whiny fucking baby when the Rangers almost won the President's Trophy 2 years ago.

I can see why you wouldn't think almost making the playoffs is a huge deal for Columbus. After all, you're the one that quit on your team and acted like a whiny fucking baby when the Rangers almost won the President's Trophy 2 years ago.

So are we done talking about Bobtovsky now and going straight to insults because you're out of points and things to say?

Where's your fire Quennville avatar?

Socreges

Banned
Bobrovksy's AAV is ridiculous for his one awesome year, but the term makes it more sensible.

The fact is that Bob was going to ask for a lot of money given his Vezina and the KHL offer. So CBJ was smart, I think, to spend more over fewer years.

Marvie_3

Banned
So are we done talking about Bobtovsky now and going straight to insults because you're out of points and things to say?

Where's your fire Quennville avatar?
We can always go back and talk about how stupid prioritizing a few playoff games over the great season Bobrovsky had if you'd like.

I'm pretty sure Marvie still wants Quenneville fired.

Correct. Won't happen anytime soon though so for now I'd settle with Kompon getting the boot.

Smiley90

Correct. Won't happen anytime soon though so for now I'd settle with Kompon getting the boot.

You should fire Kompon, then the Canucks will get him as our new PP coach and we'll see if we can get our powerplay from 25th all the way down to 30th.

Osorio

I'd think the Brobovsky deal was an easy decision to make.

What else does Columbus have?

No history
City sucks
Team isn't that good

So give the motherfucker money.

Cake Boss

Banned
Like they had any other choice, plus its not like they will be contenders in 2 years time and Bob's contract will give get in their way of signing someone or resigning someone.

5M for 2 years is nothing, look at what Smith is getting, you could argue he only had 1 good year in his entire career as well. Look at the rumored Rask contract, Bob's contract is pretty decent considering the market.

Top Bottom