• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

We can always go back and talk about how stupid prioritizing a few playoff games over the great season Bobrovsky had if you'd like.

Correct. Won't happen anytime soon though so for now I'd settle with Kompon getting the boot.

When a team hasn't made the playoffs every year but once I'd say thats pretty significant. What do you think CBJ would have rather had, a trip to the playoffs or a Vezina winner?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
When a team hasn't made the playoffs every year but once I'd say thats pretty significant. What do you think CBJ would have rather had, a trip to the playoffs or a Vezina winner?

Stupid question, they would have been even further away from a playoff spot without their Vezina winner. They nearly made it BECAUSE of Bobrovsky. If they lost Bobrovsky, the playoffs would be out of reach again for sure. With him, they can at least hope to make it, if he puts up another year. Plus it's not like they have cap issues. And if they through some miracle free agent frenzy of signing all the big names (who are we kidding, not gonna happen) DO run into cap issues and Bobrovsky underperforms, they're off the hook in 2 years.

Marvie_3

Banned
Wait, don't you almost always want Joel fired?

Yeah, what's your point? In both 2010 and 2013, the Hawks won in spite of Quenneville. We had almost the same team from last year but went from 6th in the West to Stanley Cup winners. Granted, Toews missing half of last season was part of the reason they finished 6th but a bigger part of the turnaround was because Quenneville stopped fucking with the lines every 3 minutes and let them build chemistry.

There were times in the playoffs where he fell back into the habit of changing lines for no reason and putting lines out that made no fucking sense(see the Kruger/Frolik/Toews line or the Kane/Kruger/Bolland line) and as much as I hate Stalberg, you don't bench him just to put in garbage like Bollig.

He'd rather bring in his buddies to be assistant coaches than bring in someone who will actually help the team. Chicago's PP was horrible last year and because of it, one of the assistants gets fired(the one that wasn't one of Quenneville's friends). Who does he bring in? Another of his friends who got fired from a Stanley Cup winning team because he couldn't coach a power play.

He's way too in love with veteran players. He'll bench a young player for the smallest mistake yet leave vets out there no matter how bad they're playing(see Sean O'Donnell last year). As happy as I was with Handzus this year, I don't want him back. Why? Because there's no way any of the centers Chicago has in the system will have a chance to play with Handzus on the roster.

Stupid question, they would have been even further away from a playoff spot without their Vezina winner. They nearly made it BECAUSE of Bobrovsky. If they lost Bobrovsky, the playoffs would be out of reach again for sure. With him, they can at least hope to make it, if he puts up another year. Plus it's not like they have cap issues. And if they through some miracle free agent frenzy of signing all the big names (who are we kidding, not gonna happen) DO run into cap issues and Bobrovsky underperforms, they're off the hook in 2 years.

This.

Smiley90

It's a hypothetical

It's still a stupid question.

"Would you rather have X or Y" when you can't have Y without X.

"Would you rather win a cup or have a cup-winning team". Of course you'd rather win a cup, but you can't win a cup without a cup-winning team, duh.

My problem with this is the ripple effect it's going to have. Agents are going to happily point to this contract down the road.

You're taking issue with Bobrovsky's contract here? I'd argue there are MANY other free agents over the past... I don't even know how many years that have gotten much worse contracts. This is not a new phenomenon. Columbus needed to keep Bobrovsky not just for his skill as a goaltender, but also for franchise reasons, and they got him for a decent length at an affordable (to Columbus) contract.

Cake Boss

Banned
My problem with this is the ripple effect it's going to have. Agents are going to happily point to this contract down the road.

And their GMs will happily accept it, they will rather have the players point towards this contract than Letang's contract or Smith's contract.

You wish Lundqvist points towards this contract and not Malkin's next summer.

"Would you rather win a cup or have a cup-winning team". Of course you'd rather win a cup, but you can't win a cup without a cup-winning team, duh.

It wasbt meant to be literal. If I said to CBJ before the season started "I'm a wizard and can grant you 1 of 2 things, a playoff spot, or you almost make it and your goalie plays well enough to win the Vezina" what do you think they would say? Which would be more important. The point I'm trying to make is, it doesn't matter if you have a 50 goal scorer or a Vezina winning goalie if you miss the playoffs. What's the point? The second season is all that matters.

And their GMs will happily accept it, they will rather the players point towards this contract than Letang's contract or Smith's contract.

Lundqvist has been the ONLY reason the NYR have made the playoffs these last years, and he's one of, if not the most, consistsant goalie in the NHL. He'll also be a UFA. Bobrovskys contract and Henriks are two different things.

Smiley90

Lundqvist has been the ONLY reason the NYR have made the playoffs these last years, and he's one of, if not the most, consistsant goalie in the NHL. He'll also be a UFA. Bobrovskys contract and Henriks are two different things.

Would you rather make the playoffs next year or keep Lundqvist?

.. See? Stupid question. You wouldn't make the playoffs without Lundqvist. And you might make them with Lundqvist.

You're taking issue with Bobrovsky's contract here? I'd argue there are MANY other free agents over the past... I don't even know how many years that have gotten much worse contracts. This is not a new phenomenon. Columbus needed to keep Bobrovsky not just for his skill as a goaltender, but also for franchise reasons, and they got him for a decent length at an affordable (to Columbus) contract.

It's the gross overpaying of restricted players that get me. RFAs.

Would you rather make the playoffs next year or keep Lundqvist?

.. See? Stupid question. You wouldn't make the playoffs without Lundqvist. And you might make them with Lundqvist.

Again, it wasn't taken to be literal. If you had said the same thing to me, playoffs or almost make it and he wins the Vezina, I take playoffs 10/10.

Edit: Henrik also not an RFA and has many years of proving his worth.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Are some of you really arguing against Bobrovsky's 2 x $5.625M contract??
That's a fantastic signing. Perfect.
The right $ for a Vezina-winning goalie, and the right term for one that has yet to fully prove himself.
He's still a RFA at the end of it too.

Alucard

Banned
And their GMs will happily accept it, they will rather have the players point towards this contract than Letang's contract or Smith's contract.

Blame Ryan Suter and Shea Weber for starting it. They're getting paid 7.5 million a season each.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The more I read about McCarron, the more I like the pick.

“A revelation in the tournament, McCarron should continue his rise up many draft boards. At 6-5, 225, he doesn’t have to do much to be noticeable, but it seemed he was doing something every time out. Not just a bruising forward, McCarron showed terrific skating and puck skills. He was incredibly difficult to out battle along the boards and while he didn’t throw his weight around a ton, he showed he can be physical. McCarron has elite puck skills for a player of his size and showed both a willingness to distribute and a lack of fear of his shot, which is quite good. His footwork is solid enough and improving. There’s a good chance a team is going to take the risk late in the first round just because of McCarron’s immense upside. His decision-making could improve a bit, but the physical tools are right where they need to be at this point. McCarron could turn into a heck of a pro hockey player down the line.”

“McCarron is a valuable physical beast on skates for the United States Development Program’s Under-18 squad, especially when they play the bigger competition of their NCAA schedule. He is a north/south winger that plays up to his size and makes opponents look over their shoulders for his number when he is on the ice. He relishes all contact and wreaks havoc along the wall and in front of the net. He has some impressive tools like strong skating ability, balance on his feet and a hard shot off the rush as well as the ability to finish in close but is not overly creative and needs to compliment an offensive minded linemate to get best results.”

UNF

The real exciting news as far as I'm concerned is tomorrow's scheduled Coyotes implosion vote.

cue your favorite Quebec Nordiques/Seattle Mets/Toronto Legacy proposals! (yes, those last two names suck! But they're real.)

Smiley90

The real exciting news as far as I'm concerned is tomorrow's scheduled Coyotes implosion vote.

cue your favorite Quebec Nordiques/Seattle Mets/Toronto Legacy proposals! (yes, those last two names suck! But they're real.)

Seattle Metropolitans doesn't suck... Toronto Legacy sucks hardcore though, please tell me that's not a real thing.

Cake Boss

Banned
I thought Evander Kane was getting traded yesterday?

Oh dang.
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 4m

Expect an announcement shortly that Tim Thomas is exploring his return to play opportunities in the NHL.

BOOM

There is your goalie Vancouver.

Smiley90

I thought Evander Kane was getting traded yesterday?

Oh dang.

BOOM

There is your goalie Vancouver.

He's not going to Canada.

I'd say most realistically he'd go to Florida, Texas or South Carolina. Given only 2 of those 3 states are in need of a goalie, I'll say it's down to Tampa or Florida.

It's so real they even have a logo.

And the Mets already have an MLB team, just seems a bit tired to me is all. Thunderbirds is a cooler taken name.

That is terrifying. Also Vancouver already has a team called the Thunderbirds... all the UBC teams... I wouldn't enjoy that.

Marvie_3

Banned
Seattle Metropolitans doesn't suck... Toronto Legacy sucks hardcore though, please tell me that's not a real thing.
Metropolitans is the only good name for the Seattle team.

It's so real they even have a logo.

And the Mets already have an MLB team, just seems a bit tired to me is all. Thunderbirds is a cooler taken name.
Thunderbirds is a good name if you're a 50's greaser gang. It's terrible for a hockey team.

Cheerilee

.... the hell are you talking about?

In 2009, the Canucks gave Lou a 12-year, $64 million contract. I remember analysts saying that nobody really believed that Lou would still be a number one goalie into his 40's, but that the Canucks made his contract really long because that was a way to push his "official" pay down to only $5.3 million a year, in order to sneak under the salary cap, and because Aqualini was loaded and willing to buy Lou out when the time came.

2012 was the year to say goodbye to Schneider, but instead the Canucks signed him for $12 million over three years, on some deluded idea that there were cash-rich goalie-desperate teams out there willing to take over the worst part of Lou's contract.

Lou's trade would've been easy if Aqualini had bought him out, which would've meant we could keep Schneider and have $1.3 million more in cap room, but apparently Aqualini writes checks his ass can't cash.

Cake Boss

Banned
I hope the flyers get timmy and he shuts the bed, he took a year off and is old....

A 39 year old goalie that hasn't played in over a year, a goalie that is seen to have some issues in the locker room and the media, going to that market. What could possib-lie go wrong. Uh, possibLY go wrong? That's the first thing that's ever gone wrong.

Curufinwe

A 39 year old goalie that hasn't played in over a year, a goalie that is seen to have some issues in the locker room and the media, going to that market. What could possib-lie go wrong. Uh, possibLY go wrong? That's the first thing that's ever gone wrong.

Still better than Bryz. One year, and a few million bucks would be fine by me. They're not winning the Cup in 13-14 so they may as well be interesting.

toro5741

That was so the Isles could reach the cap floor :lol

Technically that's not true since it was a mid-season trade, they were already over the floor. It was so they had the flexibility to be sellers at the deadline (which they obviously ended up not being) without going below the floor or taking on extra salary.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
A Rangers fan harping on another team for a "bad contract" concerning a goalie who just won the Vezina is hilariously ironic.

cube444

Just watched a video on ESPN and Lebrun was saying that 3 different NHL GMs walked up to him "unprovoked" during the draft and told him Bo Horvat was going to be a special player.

Guess that's something for Canucks fans?

TUSR

Banned
Bobrovksy's AAV is ridiculous for his one awesome year, but the term makes it more sensible.

The fact is that Bob was going to ask for a lot of money given his Vezina and the KHL offer. So CBJ was smart, I think, to spend more over fewer years.

It was the right call by CBJ to sign him to that contract.

Red_Man

Just watched a video on ESPN and Lebrun was saying that 3 different NHL GMs walked up to him "unprovoked" during the draft and told him Bo Horvat was going to be a special player.

He's going to have to be, he'll be compared to how Schneider does for years now, just like Eller was with Halak unfortunately.

Marvie_3

Banned

I bet it was Gillis, Feaster, and Sather.

In 2009, the Canucks gave Lou a 12-year, $64 million contract. I remember analysts saying that nobody really believed that Lou would still be a number one goalie into his 40's, but that the Canucks made his contract really long because that was a way to push his "official" pay down to only $5.3 million a year, in order to sneak under the salary cap, and because Aqualini was loaded and willing to buy Lou out when the time came.

2012 was the year to say goodbye to Schneider, but instead the Canucks signed him for $12 million over three years, on some deluded idea that there were cash-rich goalie-desperate teams out there willing to take over the worst part of Lou's contract.

Lou's trade would've been easy if Aqualini had bought him out, which would've meant we could keep Schneider and have $1.3 million more in cap room, but apparently Aqualini writes checks his ass can't cash.

1. At the time Luongo's contract was signed, it was almost universally praised. Front-loaded deals with long terms to bring down the cap hit were nothing new; Hossa, Franzen, Zetterberg had one. Luongo was also the captain, the Canucks' best player, and one of the league's top goalies.

2. There were no buyouts back then.

3. In 2012, facing elimination down 3-0, Schneider started Game 4 vs. the Kings. That was the beginning of the end for Luongo. Schneider was younger, cheaper, and "just as good" as Luongo. I like to think that if Luongo had started that game none of this would've happened.

4. Canucks signed Schneider on the basis that they would trade Luongo, except Gillis sat on his hands and did nothing. The Canucks were still under the cap so there was no urgency to offload one of them yet. The fact that Schneider did not get an NMC/NTC meant that trading him was still an option, though Gillis was doing that as a last resort.

5.Then the lockout happened. The cap went down and buyouts were possible. Gillis was in trouble. If teams weren't interested in Luongo before, they sure weren't interested now. Buying out Luongo was an option, but thats $28M the owner would have to throw at him with absolutely zero return.

I'm still happy we traded Schneider instead of buying out Luongo. Gives me more hope that we'll see Lack as our future starter and we got Bo Horvat in return. Really wish we got more for him, but what's done is done. Still doesn't change the fact that yesterday makes me feel much better about the future.

I'll re-iterate though. Canucks got immensely lucky at the draft as well. Shinkaruk and Horvat seem to be made for each. Horvat needs a speedy all offense winger to drive the bus, while Shinkaruk needs a big speedy two-way forward to open up ice and keep him defensively in check. Plus the fact that they're buddies is just icing on the cake. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88HL8f1WASo

Subban was also an amazing 4th round pick.

Yesterday could've been a disaster, but I'm happy it turned out alright in some aspects at least.

Red_Man

Couple thoughts on the Habs draft picks :

Fucale : I don't like picking goalies early, but after reading more up on this kid, and watching his interviews, I love it. He interviews extremely well, and coaches and players having nothing but good things to say about him, and people believe he's one of the main reasons the Mooseheads were able to win a MC even with a stacked team, he allowed them to play an offense driven game. He's already won a MC at 17 which is huge, and should back stop team Canada at the 2015 WJ with McDavid a la Price / Toews way back. He's in a perfect position and city to develop too.

Montreal took a goon early too.
I was pretty hesitant when they picked him at 25 with the same thoughts in mind, but after researching him a bit more, I think this pick is perfect. He was in the top 30 of most scouting services and Grant McCagg who has scouted for the Habs before has been pimping him for a long time, here's a few tid bits of his on him:

He is the player I want the Habs to take at 25 if he's there. I see his upside as a second line 6-5 winger who can score 20-25 goals and 40-50 points and chip in 100-150 PIM's. Not many of them in the NHL folks.

Did Tom Wilson? Where'd he go - 16th? McCarron has more offensive upside than Wilson, and he's bigger. I saw him a few times, and I saw offensive upside. Very rarely do 6-5 17-year-olds reach their offensive potential in their draft year. He is the best power forward prospect in this draft

Corey Pronman also believes he has top 6 upside, he's a bit of a project but that's the kind of guys Timmins likes to go for, almost like a forward version of Tinordi. If he can reach that potential, then we'll hit pay dirt, a 6'6 winger who can score 20-25 goals? Sign me the fuck up. I'm really hoping he goes to play in London, he'll play with Bo Horvat where he can develop both his offensive and physical game, and the Hunters would be perfect to bring him up through juniors.

JDL - typical Timmins pick, he's the captain of his team, noted leader and always busting his ass, great 2 way player and has already been playing against men for 2 years .

Lehkonen - Small, very skilled forward but has concussion issues

The rest of the guys seem very hit and miss, I don't really expect much from them, although scouts have a lot of good things to say about Andighetto, and believe he's very underrated and a gem from this draft, but that remains to be seen.

Top Bottom