• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

A Rangers fan harping on another team for a "bad contract" concerning a goalie who just won the Vezina is hilariously ironic.

If people want to make fun of the Rangers for bad UFA contracts, be my guest. They suck in that regard.

RFA contracts? Sather might be the only GM who actually uses the leverage afforded to him with restricted free agents.

Marvie_3

Banned
I love the banner ads I get in this thread:

MacAttack

Tim Thomas needs to sign in Philly for the drama with the media, the Flyers unending pursuit of goaltending and whether or not this comeback will cement Thomas' legacy as a great goalie or tarnish it.

So many good storylines to watch for...

Edit: FU

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Has Lu said anything substantial either way yet? Last I read he said he needed to discuss things with his agent which doesn't sound particularly reassuring.

RC

Banned
Has Lu said anything substantial either way yet? Last I read he said he needed to discuss things with his agent which doesn't sound particularly reassuring.

I haven't heard anything. And discuss what exactly? He's under contract.

Red_Man

Gillis said on the radio today he's going to see Lu in two weeks :lol :lol no rush eh Gillis?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
wait what

letang hasn't signed his contract with pens?

According to Rob Rossi, the deal between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Kris Letang has been held up because the team will not guarantee the defenseman that he will not be traded next summer. The deal had been agreed upon that would pay Letang $58 million over the next eight years but Letang wants a verbal agreement that he will stay in Pittsburgh. Letang's current deal will expire on July 1 and the new NHL CBA does not allow for changes to be made to existing deals.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Couple thoughts on the Habs draft picks :

Fucale : I don't like picking goalies early, but after reading more up on this kid, and watching his interviews, I love it. He interviews extremely well, and coaches and players having nothing but good things to say about him, and people believe he's one of the main reasons the Mooseheads were able to win a MC even with a stacked team, he allowed them to play an offense driven game. He's already won a MC at 17 which is huge, and should back stop team Canada at the 2015 WJ with McDavid a la Price / Toews way back. He's in a perfect position and city to develop too.

I was pretty hesitant when they picked him at 25 with the same thoughts in mind, but after researching him a bit more, I think this pick is perfect. He was in the top 30 of most scouting services and Grant McCagg who has scouted for the Habs before has been pimping him for a long time, here's a few tid bits of his on him:

Corey Pronman also believes he has top 6 upside, he's a bit of a project but that's the kind of guys Timmins likes to go for, almost like a forward version of Tinordi. If he can reach that potential, then we'll hit pay dirt, a 6'6 winger who can score 20-25 goals? Sign me the fuck up. I'm really hoping he goes to play in London, he'll play with Bo Horvat where he can develop both his offensive and physical game, and the Hunters would be perfect to bring him up through juniors.

JDL - typical Timmins pick, he's the captain of his team, noted leader and always busting his ass, great 2 way player and has already been playing against men for 2 years .

Lehkonen - Small, very skilled forward but has concussion issues

The rest of the guys seem very hit and miss, I don't really expect much from them, although scouts have a lot of good things to say about Andighetto, and believe he's very underrated and a gem from this draft, but that remains to be seen.

I really like McCarron, I was talking about Connor Crisp. Everyone seems to think he could have been had way later, if at all.

CCF23

Gillis said on the radio today he's going to see Lu in two weeks :lol :lol no rush eh Gillis?

It's not like this is a busy time of year for a general manager or anything...Besides, Torts is our coach. We don't need goaltending when we block everything thrown at our net :p.

Red_Man

I really like McCarron, I was talking about Connor Crisp. Everyone seems to think he could have been had way later, if at all.
Oh yea, he's a weird pick. He's suppose to be a huge gym rat and in amazing shape, but I'm not really expecting much from him.

Samyy

Pretty much. The man's still expected to do his job. The shitty situation is irrelevant.

Players are affected by shitty situations, your crazy if you think an unhappy player is not going to be affected by that

Its not necessarily a fault of his own either, the media is going to talk this to death around and now he's expected to be the starter on a team he doesn't want to play for? He'll do his job but unhappy workers never perform as well.

Cheerilee

2. There were no buyouts back then.
Ah, right. I forgot that part. I guess I can't blame Aquilini.

1. At the time Luongo's contract was signed, it was almost universally praised. Front-loaded deals with long terms to bring down the cap hit were nothing new; Hossa, Franzen, Zetterberg had one. Luongo was also the captain, the Canucks' best player, and one of the league's top goalies.
One of the guys at work tried to tell me recently that Luongo was a chump, and Schneider was the real deal, so I asked him when he expects Schneider to win an Olympic gold medal on home ice.

CCF23

Gillis said if Ballard clears waivers they'll put him on unconditional waivers and buy him out. At least Aquilini will foot the bill for that one. Thank fuck.

$4.2 mil more in cap space get.

That'll leave us at almost exactly $56 million committed to 15 players.

Marvie_3

Banned
Gillis said if Ballard clears waivers they'll put him on unconditional waivers and buy him out. At least Aquilini will foot the bill for that one. Thank fuck.

Thats enough room to fit Cory Schneider on the team!

Red_Man

Fucale was the goalie for the Moosheads last year when they came back from a 3-1 deficit in the playoffs to defeat Roy & Grigorenko's Remparts too. Awesome.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Glendale posted the bids for Jobing.com arena

One of them says essentially... We will take $6 mil, we will share revenue and they put performance incentives where they will give up their AMF if they are unable to improve the operating income/loss of the building

Talk about taking a giant shit on NHLs head lol

yyzjohn

Banned

That'll leave us at almost exactly $56 million committed to 15 players.

Unless it's a compliance buyuout there will be a cap hit. If you could just buy guys out with no cap hit everyone would be doing it.

Red_Man

A part of me is happy Subban went to Vancouver instead of Montreal, if he went to Montreal he'd be playing in PK's shadow the entire time and have ridiculous expectations placed on him.

Don Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC 5m
Florida's GM Dale Tallon who always said he likes Canadians, drafted a Fin. He said he needed scoring. He could have had Drouin with the Mooseheads who won the Memorial Cup and he was the leader in scoring, over MacKinnon, the top pick. Florida missed out on a 2 way player who can score. I hope Dale knows what he's doing. He passed on 3 guys Drouin, Nurse and Jones, who are guaranteed to make the NHL for a guy who played last year in the ice follies.

I sense great salt.

Acid08

Banned
Rumor is that Galiardi is on the trading block. Sernd that they're having a hard time resigning him and he might go to arbitration yet again. Fuck him. He's playing with Joe fucking Thornton, still can't net 10 goals, and now thinks he deserves some big pay day? I like him as a player but he really needs to assess what his actual worth is.

Red_Man

He's the right guy with MacK of the board. Great in all aspects, only knock is his skating. He helps the team far more with Drouin or Jones.
At the 2nd pick you have to choose BPA and Jones / Druin are clearly better players then Barkov, you don't pass on franchise like talents like those two to fill a team need. How can you say he'll help the team "far more" then a guy like Jones who could be a Norris winner? Your obsession with filling the Center position, and Florida's apparent obsession with it is what fucks teams drafting up.

Red_Man

I couldn't be more thrilled that Florida doesn't have Jones or Drouin.
:lol

Where do you think Druin will fit into the line up this season? Right away with Stamkos? I'll be watching quite a few more lightning games to watch him now.

Had a chance to read about the kid Lazar the Sens drafted. Sounds exactly like the type of player we need if the comparisons to Callahan and Brown have any truth to them. The team's scouting and drafting is unreal so I'll trust with whomever they take.

Yes I know it's really unlikely he'll be the next Ryan Callahan or Dustin Brown.

ZeroGravity

:lol

Where do you think Druin will fit into the line up this season? Right away with Stamkos? I'll be watching quite a few more lightning games to watch him now.
Not sure. Boucher hated rookies and wouldn't give them any decent ice time, but not sure how Cooper will handle things. Also hard to project without knowing who our 2C is going to be.

Cactus

Banned
BPA, and BPA was Jones or Drouin.

At the 2nd pick you have to choose BPA and Jones / Druin are clearly better players then Barkov, you don't pass on franchise like talents like those two to fill a team need. How can you say he'll help the team "far more" then a guy like Jones who could be a Norris winner? Your obsession with filling the Center position, and Florida's apparent obsession with it is what fucks teams drafting up.

To be fair, none of us know jack shit about any of these guys. We only know what the analysts tell us, analysts only know what individual scouts tell them, and scouts can only watch teenagers play in minor hockey leagues and try to decide which of them have a mix of skills that are likely to translate to the NHL. Saying Barkov was chosen over a potential Norris winner or that Drouin was objectively the better forward is incredibly premature. It's not like Florida went off the board.

Top Bottom