• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Had a chance to read about the kid Lazar the Sens drafted. Sounds exactly like the type of player we need if the comparisons to Callahan and Brown have any truth to them. The team's scouting and drafting is unreal so I'll trust with whomever they take.

Yes I know it's really unlikely he'll be the next Ryan Callahan or Dustin Brown.
The McCagg guy I quoted for his analysis on McCarron is really high on Lazar, said he thinks he's Captain material.

Not sure. Boucher hated rookies and wouldn't give them any decent ice time, but not sure how Cooper will handle things. Also hard to project without knowing who our 2C is going to be.
Ah, true. A line with Stamkos at C and both Druin & St Louis feeding him amazing passes :drool

To be fair, none of us know jack shit about any of these guys. We only know what the analysts tell us, analysts only know what individual scouts tell them, and scouts can only watch teenagers play in minor hockey leagues and try to decide which of them have a mix of skills that are likely to translate to the NHL. Saying Barkov was chosen over a potential Norris winner or that Drouin was objectively the better forward is incredibly premature. It's not like Florida went off the board.
Druin & Jones are quite unanimously looked at as better players then Barkov, and I've personally never seen a better defensive prospect play then Jones. Saying Barkov will help the Panthers far more then either of them is incredibly premature as well.

You know, upon thinking about it more, I think I see the Canucks' plan. Torts is nortorious for teaching players how to block the puck well. Maybe they figure he can teach Luongo how to block shots too.

Worth a shot at least.

ZeroGravity

Ah, true. A line with Stamkos at C and both Druin & St Louis feeding him amazing passes :drool
I honestly worry that might be too much playmaking on one line. Especially because Stamkos refuses to be selfish and passes off great scoring chances all the time.

The McCagg guy I quoted for his analysis on McCarron is really high on Lazar, said he thinks he's Captain material.

That's good to hear with our current captain retiring in the near future. He must have interviewed really well, I know Ottawa values interviews quite a lot.

Red_Man

That's good to hear with our current captain retiring in the near future. He must have interviewed really well, I know Ottawa values interviews quite a lot.
Here's what he had to say, pretty high praise and this guy is usually pretty spot on with his scouting, he was hoping the Habs would grab him:

I've liked Lazar since first seeing him kick butt at the Canada Winter Games, and then again in leading his team to the Midget Championship. He's followed that up with a Memorial Cup appearance and WHL Finals. The kid is quite simply a winner...every team he plays on ends up winning, and he's a key piece.

Major character with this kid, very high hockey IQ, solid skater, gritty, highly competitive, knows how to score goals. Won't be an elite playmaker, but that's the only real knock on him, and it's not like he never passes or something.

I've heard some scouts suggest he may end up being a winger..I think he's the type of player who would have no problem making the switch if that's the case...and if you look at the NHL, the main position switch you see is from center to the wing.

A third-line center on a winning team is a tremendously important piece...and that to me is his downside. He has a legitimate shot at being a top six character forward who helps you win. Future captain material.

Acid08

Banned
Druin & Jones are quite unanimously looked at as better players then Barkov, and I've personally never seen a better defensive prospect play then Jones. Saying Barkov will help the Panthers far more then either of them is incredibly premature as well.
Still too early to tell really. That's just the nature of prospects. Should hold off on hyperbole until we've actually seen them play an NHL game.

yyzjohn

Banned
What in the blue fuck are you talking about?

If Aquilini is willing to pony up the dough for a buyout, you're insinuating Gillis will do a regular buyout instead of compliance? For the hell of it?

Nothing he's done in the last few seasons points to him being competent as a GM so yeah, he could find a way to screw this up too. LOL

CCF23

Still too early to tell really. That's just the nature of prospects. Should hold off on hyperbole until we've actually seen them play an NHL game.

Yup. There's so many examples of it.

Fact is, you can project how these kids will translate to the NHL all you want, but you just don't know, especially the difference among the top 4-6 picks usually, unless it's an absolute can't miss like Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Ovechkin, or Tavares.

Red_Man

Fucale's dads reaction when he was picked by the Habs :lol

iioemj01jcYwC.gif

Acid08

Banned
Yup. There's so many examples of it.

Fact is, you can project how these kids will translate to the NHL all you want, but you just don't know, especially the difference among the top 4-6 picks usually, unless it's an absolute can't miss like Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Ovechkin, or Tavares.
Yeah, none of these kids seem to be that kind of talent. You could bet your ass that if Jones was really on those other players levels that he would have gone first no matter what.

Red_Man

They're from Quebec and supposedly the entire family are Habs fans, but maybe he's a closet Leafs fan :lol

cube444

So can all UFAs field offers starting on Wednesday? Obviously they can't be signed until Friday but just wondering if the former is true.

Red_Man

Interesting. Didn't know that.
He was suppose to have the teams narrowed down to 4 today, but it's taking longer because more teams talked to him then they previously thought. Around 12 or so teams I believe, probably more unofficially.

Dreger was on TSN radio saying Dallas were the front runners for Cavalier.

Personally I think it is down to about 3 teams.. Montreal, Red Wings and Stars.

EDIT: Also Stars are apparently after Horton.. yeesh.

Red_Man

I wonder why FA's love to Drive for Ninth with Dallas?
They dish out the money that other teams won't, why do you think Jagr went there? If he goes to Dallas I assume he just wants more cash for his retirement fund and isn't too concerned about winning.

I wonder why FA's love to Drive for Ninth with Dallas?

Well we aren't bankrupt anymore..and an owner who wants to spend money. We also have Nill who knows his shit.

We also have no bad contracts attached to us minus maayybe Goligoski at the moment and we have shit tons of cap space. Gonchar brought us ABOVE the floor.

Quick

Banned
No wonder it is the place where goalies go to die.

Bryz should have known. :(

It's the kind of place that makes more sense the more drugs you take.

Not that it gets better, just makes more sense.

No kidding. I went around today, and just...wow. Maybe because it's raining, but it just sucks. :( Then there's all the homeless guys.

Of all the places I've been to in the US, this has to be the most depressing. Buffalo doesn't count, only because I only passed by there.

Acid08

Banned
Well we aren't bankrupt anymore..and an owner who wants to spend money. We also have Nill who knows his shit.

We also have no bad contracts attached to us minus maayybe Goligoski at the moment and we have shit tons of cap space. Gonchar brought us ABOVE the floor.
Makes sense. Where there's money they're players. Lots of players don't seem to mind being in Texas either.

Top Bottom