• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Ridding the team of Hunwick and Zanon was near the top of my off-season wishlist. Despite Hunwick leading in ice time he coughed up the puck in front of the next all the time. He has some speed to his game, but that's about all he has going for him. Zanon on the other hand is just awful, really just awful. Tanguay is back, adding MacKinnon and our top 9 is quite awesome. This is a really good off-season, guys! :D

Socreges

Banned
Your schizophrenic-emotional-rollercoaster-perpetual-depressed-reverse-jinx-followed-by-blind-optimism personality must be exhausting, Crazed.

yyzjohn

Banned
I hope I live long enough to see another Flyers goalie with a .920+ save percentage over a full season.

http://www.goaliesarchive.com/flyers/yearbyyear.html

Cechmanek was the only previous one, but he was insane and a playoff bust.

People love to rip on the Leafs goalies but Reimer has achieved that .920% in 2 of the past 3 seasons, so I hear what you're saying. The Flyers goaltending situation has been really bad the last little while.

Curufinwe

People also rip Dubnyk despite him putting up .920 behind a team with one good defensemen and forwards who don't play defense.

This website is great...

Cactus

Banned
I would pay Bozak 4 mil, over 5 years to be the 2C IF we buyout Grabo.
But only because we are in such a dire need of centers and Bozak has proven to be a bit more consistent.

On the flip side if Grabo plays like he did before his miles better then Bozak...
Ultimately I think we should keep Grabo, give him another year and let Bozak walk. We can sign Weiss or let Kadri play 1C.

Bolded: YES!!

Grabovski had a terrible season statistically, but one of the factors that contributed to his poor numbers was the type of minutes he received from Carlyle. He saw a lot of D zone starts and played mostly against the toughest competition.

With Bolland/McClement/Kulemin looking like a legitimate shutdown line (on paper), Grabovski should finally get a chance to play with scoring wingers again on a consistent basis.

If he underperforms again, then we have that second compliance buyout, but his possession numbers and offensive instincts make that unlikely, IMO.

Also, Bozak can go to hell. Nonis should be fired immediately if he considers anything close to 8 years or $5m for Bozak. Bozak is a product of his linemates. His possession numbers are terrible, his D game sucks, and a ridiculously high percentage of his points are either goals that were assisted by Kessel or assists on Kessel goals. He won a lot of faceoffs, but that's not a terribly important aspect of the game, IMO, especially since his possession numbers generally nullified any advantage the Leafs received after winning them.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I think leafs are unsure if they should compliance buyout Komi (reg buyout would be really cheap)

And if they should buyout either liles, grabo or both

They know bozak staying would bode well for kessel signing long term

They'd have to shore up everything with UFA signings and hope bozak/kadri/bolland/McClement are good enough

yyzjohn

Banned
I think leafs are unsure if they should compliance buyout Komi (reg buyout would be really cheap)

And if they should buyout either liles, grabo or both

They know bozak staying would bode well for kessel signing long term

They'd have to shore up everything with UFA signings and hope bozak/kadri/bolland/McClement are good enough

I don't see the sense in compliance buyout on Komisarek. He only has 1 year left, why waste a compliance buyout on him when a regular buyout still buys you some of the cap room. His "regular buyout" cap hit would only be $2.16M this year on the cap and 1.16 next year which is very manageable (as opposed to his 4.5 hit this year). All numbers from capgeek.

Grabovski makes the most sense for compliance buyout. You wipe out $5.5M for good.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Bolded: YES!!

Grabovski had a terrible season statistically, but one of the factors that contributed to his poor numbers was the type of minutes he received from Carlyle. He saw a lot of D zone starts and played mostly against the toughest competition.

With Bolland/McClement/Kulemin looking like a legitimate shutdown line (on paper), Grabovski should finally get a chance to play with scoring wingers again on a consistent basis.

If he underperforms again, then we have that second compliance buyout, but his possession numbers and offensive instincts make that unlikely, IMO.

Also, Bozak can go to hell. Nonis should be fired immediately if he considers anything close to 8 years or $5m for Bozak. Bozak is a product of his linemates. His possession numbers are terrible, his D game sucks, and a ridiculously high percentage of his points are either goals that were assisted by Kessel or assists on Kessel goals. He won a lot of faceoffs, but that's not a terribly important aspect of the game, IMO, especially since his possession numbers generally nullified any advantage the Leafs received after winning them.

I don't see the sense in compliance buyout on Komisarek. He only has 1 year left, why waste a compliance buyout on him when a regular buyout still buys you some of the cap room. His "regular buyout" cap hit would only be $2.16M this year on the cap and 1.16 next year which is very manageable (as opposed to his 4.5 hit this year). All numbers from capgeek.
Ugh so we'd be stuck with 4 mil total from regular buyouts? Fucking Armstrong and Tucker...

Still, we have a compliance buyout, why not use it? Unless there is something else in the works...?

Curufinwe

Vinny is truly in it for nothing but cash if he goes to Dallas.

Dallas could have a decent team with him there. They weren't far out of the playoffs this year, they have a good goalie, and only six western teams will miss the playoffs under the absurd new realignment.

But it is kind of a slap in the face to Montreal if he goes to Dallas.

Samyy

Only need to compliance buyout Komi is if there is a pressing need for the cap space.
On the flipside though we have them, might as well use them. We don't have many buyout targets on the team anyway.

DopeyFish

Ugh so we'd be stuck with 4 mil total from regular buyouts? Fucking Armstrong and Tucker...

Still, we have a compliance buyout, why not use it? Unless there is something else in the works...?

If we buy out liles and grabo and Komi that opens up 10 mil

Komi sitting in the minors eats up over 3 mil

But we have to be sure about grabo and liles

Both are pretty decent and both were coming back to form

yyzjohn

Banned

Forgot about those 2 stiffs. Yeah already with $2M to carry so maybe that makes a Komisarek buyout make sense. Only thing that can save them is some bottom cap team that takes Komisarek in a trade to keep above the cap floor. His actual salary is only $3.5 million but you can show 4.5 on the cap. Long shot that anyone wants this stiff.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Also sounds like Holland may not buyout anyone, just great, just great. Just shoot me now.

:lol :lol :lol

Oh man. Samuelsson must have dirt on this guy or something.

Also, good for Dallas. 5 years for Lacavlier is not something I'd do right now.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Meh, $$$$ always matters, but even as cynical as I am, I'd like to think at least some of these guys actually want to play for a chance to win too.

Especially when they're already being paid by another team for the next 14 years or whatever.

cube444

Dallas could have a decent team with him there. They weren't far out of the playoffs this year, they have a good goalie, and only six western teams will miss the playoffs under the absurd new realignment.

I don't look at it that way. Some guys love to play in pressure filled cities. Vinny spent ages in Tampa so probably loves the anonymity and less pressure of playing hockey there. That makes Dallas much more enticing to him than say Montreal.

yyzjohn

Banned
I don't look at it that way. Some guys love to play in pressure filled cities. Vinny spent ages in Tampa so probably loves the anonymity and less pressure of playing hockey there. That makes Dallas much more enticing to him than say Montreal.

Yeah, after a career in a market where nobody knows you on the street would be really want to be thrown into a pressure cooker while his game is on the decline? He can disappear in Dallas and count his money to retirement.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It is :(

I'm dead

Here's my favorite part of the Mlive article.

Term, not money, is the sticking point with Cleary, who is 34. The Red Wings likely don't want to commit to more than two years.

Holland wants to give Cleary TWO MORE YEARS.

:lol

Fire this guy, please, Ilitch.

Curufinwe

I guess so. But the thought of being the missing piece that comes home and wins a Cup in Montreal has to be somewhat enticing.

But we have to be sure about grabo and liles

Both are pretty decent and both were coming back to form

This is why I think we won't see either bought out. Both still have a lot to offer, especially Grabovski.

Komisarek seems to be a perfect compliance buyout. You immediately clear up 4.5 in space that you can use to resign Kadri and (???) Colborne, and in 2014 won't have any buyout leftovers effecting your cap.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Forgot about those 2 stiffs. Yeah already with $2M to carry so maybe that makes a Komisarek buyout make sense. Only thing that can save them is some bottom cap team that takes Komisarek in a trade to keep above the cap floor. His actual salary is only $3.5 million but you can show 4.5 on the cap. Long shot that anyone wants this stiff.
He is from New York, right? How about it? Islander fans?

cube444

I guess so. But the thought of being the missing piece that comes home and wins a Cup in Montreal has to be somewhat enticing.

Maybe more so if he didn't have a Cup already. I'm guessing when he weighs all the factors he'd much rather be walking in flip flops somewhere in Texas unnoticed instead of doing likewise in Montreal and being mauled for autographs.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
He could potentially get a shitload of money from endorsements in Montreal.

I'm pretty sure Beliveau even said he'd let Vinny wear his number 4 before.

Whatever, it would have been nice to have a big centre capable of putting up 60+ points and possibly attract more free agents, but I'm not going to get upset about it. Hopefully Eller contiues his progression and becomes that guy.

Here's my favorite part of the Mlive article.

Holland wants to give Cleary TWO MORE YEARS.

:lol

Fire this guy, please, Ilitch.

No, they don't want to give him more than two years, Cleary wants more it sounds like. Still, it is looking like a possibility we will lose Cleary, Brunner, Flip. While not picking up anyone of significance to fill in for them. Best we can hope now is that Brunner does come back and we get Weiss for that 2nd center position. Other than that it is going to be another depressing offseason with a lot of cap space left over. Only good news is that our young guys will be full time.

DopeyFish

This is why I think we won't see either bought out. Both still have a lot to offer, especially Grabovski.

Komisarek seems to be a perfect compliance buyout. You immediately clear up 4.5 in space that you can use to resign Kadri and (???) Colborne, and in 2014 won't have any buyout leftovers effecting your cap.

Especially if we aren't sure the cap will go up... $70 would require a $900 million increase from last full nhl season... And we need to resign kessel.

ObiDin

And that was without any true centers last year. Derek Roy was a waste of a roster spot. And tho I love Jamie Benn, he is a wing playing center.

I can't tell if you're disagreeing with me or just adding to the conversation.

The latter. The answer is obvious - the Devils could drop Brodeur today and be absolutely fine with Schneider in net. But he hasn't been an everyday Vezina candidate either and that is worth talking about. He could be that guy - and he certainly has a great personality to succeed in his career - but so far that's just potential, which explains why he could be dealt at all.

Not like those Canucks teams weren't still giving up a ton of odd-man rushes and chances in the slot. Their defense was always active pushing forward and pinching. Schneider and Luongo were not making easy saves.

You're right, of course - those odd man rushes were about all I remember of the Canucks D last year. That being said, about all we can really measure there is shots against, and that shows the Canucks firmly in the middle of the pack over the last three years. It would be interesting to see if any shot quality stats emerge but I haven't seen anything concrete online yet.

vinny already has his cup. if dallas is offering him 5x25, sunshine, and no income tax...i can't blame the guy for taking it.

Of course, if the tank really is nearly empty, he could do a 1 year deal, then just head back to his Tampa digs next season on a cheap deal. But Dallas makes a lot of sense if all he's interested in is one last payday.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
No, they don't want to give him more than two years, Cleary wants more it sounds like. Still, it is looking like a possibility we will lose Cleary, Brunner, Flip. While not picking up anyone of significance to fill in for them. Best we can hope now is that Brunner does come back and we get Weiss for that 2nd center position. Other than that it is going to be another depressing offseason with a lot of cap space left over. Only good news is that our young guys will be full time.
Holland is really starting to fucking piss me off, more now than ever. My friend has been texting me "Too much term too much money" as a joke every time the Wings are hinted at going after someone and it's become depressing because it's fucking true. Every article you read now has Holland saying they don't want to agree with how many ever years the guys are looking for, no matter how good they are. Just fucking sign them you jackass. Give him 3 years at 5.5 mil if that's what it takes. And for the love of god buy out that joke Samuelsson. Time to stop making the Wings a "boys club" and learn to cut ties with guys who don't do anything anymore. Cleary, bye bye, Sammy, bye, Bertuzzi, bye! Thanks for the Cup 5 years ago, time to go!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Montreal and Toronto aren't willing to offer Vinny more then 3 years while Dallas is offering him 5, good on Bergevin I don't want him signed here for 5 years.

Plinko

Holland is really starting to fucking piss me off, more now than ever. My friend has been texting me "Too much term too much money" as a joke every time the Wings are hinted at going after someone and it's become depressing because it's fucking true. Every article you read now has Holland saying they don't want to agree with how many ever years the guys are looking for, no matter how good they are. Just fucking sign them you jackass. Give him 3 years at 5.5 mil if that's what it takes. And for the love of god buy out that joke Samuelsson. Time to stop making the Wings a "boys club" and learn to cut ties with guys who don't do anything anymore. Cleary, bye bye, Sammy, bye, Bertuzzi, bye! Thanks for the Cup 5 years ago, time to go!

*Standing ovation*

Well said.

And Crazed, if Cleary wants more than two years and Holland says that they only want to give him two years, then, yes, they want to give him two more years.

Top Bottom