• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Cake Boss

Banned
Stephen Weiss is a better option than Lecalvier, at least Weiss has been his team's #1C and been producing while Lecalvier has been the #2 C for his team the past few years. Put Weiss on your team as the #2C and watch him outproduce Lecalvier next season. Plus hes 4 years younger.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It'd be fucking sweet to get paid a couple million bucks from multiple teams every year and not have to do anything.
I can't deny this :lol

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me. Can't remember any top defensive prospects jumping right into the NHL and playing top minutes the year they were drafted.
As high as I am on him, I think this is too much too quickly too.

ZeroGravity

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me. Can't remember any top defensive prospects jumping right into the NHL and playing top minutes the year they were drafted.
Hedman averaged 20 minutes a game his rookie year, and didn't have anyone the quality of Weber to play with. Jones should do much better.

Socreges

Banned
Apparently a terrorist plot was foiled yesterday at the Parliament building in Victoria, huh. Walked by there at like 1am last night, saw tons of police and just assumed it was a traffic stop for DUIs.

I want Vinny at 3 years. 4 is pushing it but 5 no. I will admit, if he does sign for 5 years at 5 million like rumored than I won't be angry, if he signs for less than yeah, won't be too happy. I'll take Weiss as it seems Detroit is pretty high on him, just was really hoping for Vinny since I think he is better.

CakeBoss, you speak sober words of wisdom, I hope we sign him and your prediction turns out to be true.

*Standing ovation*

Well said.

And Crazed, if Cleary wants more than two years and Holland says that they only want to give him two years, then, yes, they want to give him two more years.

I thought you said Holland wanted to give him more than 2 years.

Samyy

Apparently a terrorist plot was foiled yesterday at the Parliament building in Victoria, huh. Walked by there at like 1am last night, saw tons of police and just assumed it was a traffic stop for DUIs.

Wow really? Surprised I've barely heard anything about this.
Props to the RCMP.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I want Vinny at 3 years. 4 is pushing it but 5 no. I will admit, if he does sign for 5 years at 5 million like rumored than I won't be angry, if he signs for less than yeah, won't be too happy. I'll take Weiss as it seems Detroit is pretty high on him, just was really hoping for Vinny since I think he is better.

CakeBoss, you speak sober words of wisdom, I hope we sign him and your prediction turns out to be true.

I thought you said Holland wanted to give him more than 2 years.

No--two more years, not more than two.

Watch him let Brunner walk but re-sign Cleary.

Hedman averaged 20 minutes a game his rookie year, and didn't have anyone the quality of Weber to play with. Jones should do much better.

Generally speaking you don't want to rush prospects into the NHL. Even if they can "handle" it you ease them into the NHL and don't just throw them into the fire.

History is full of first round picks who were busts or never reached their expected potential because they were rushed into the NHL.

Kulikov and Hedman stepped in just fine.

Cats don't QA Mueller and Skille. Not surprised with Skille but Mueller I thought was a lock. 1C and 2 RW are the biggest needs now.

Red_Man

There's also a huge amount of prospects that never fully matured because they weren't given the time to play in the NHL.
Ill be a skeleton before you can show me an example of a prospect who's development was ruined because he didn't play in the NHL right after he was drafted.

Cake Boss

Banned
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 51s

San Jose Sharks have traded TJ Galiardi to Calgary for a draft pick.

Mueller a UFA, that would be a decent cheap pickup by someone, looked good in the few Florida games I saw last season.

Tabris

Well maybe a better choice of words would be development halted / slowed.

Look at someone like Michael Grabner. Stuck in the minors due to not being given a chance, traded by VAN, put on waivers by FLA. Gets picked up by NYI and given a chance to play good minutes when not performing to NHL standards. Turns into a 25+ goal scorer.

It's hard to answer the full question of those that never matured because we can't quantify their actual potential if given the chance, but I think Michael Grabner is an example that shows that you need to give your young guys time in the NHL and allow them to make mistakes.

Tabris

Is it your first day in this thread?!

No forgive and forget? I forgave Chris Pronger when he moved to the east. I've forgiven Detroit as they are moving to the east. Infact, I'll cheer for them to do well because it'll show that the West is better than the East.

Acid08

Banned
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 51s

San Jose Sharks have traded TJ Galiardi to Calgary for a draft pick.

Mueller a UFA, that would be a decent cheap pickup by someone, looked good in the few Florida games I saw last season.
Saw it coming after the story yesterday. Dude either wanted too much money or too long of a contract. Maybe both. Oh well. His skill set is replaceable even if I liked him. Dude had the chance to keep playing with Joe Thornton and prove his worth but I guess he wasn't interested.

DW, you better have another trade or FA signing up your sleeve.

Cake Boss

Banned
Do you have something of value to bring to the conversation or are you just trolling?

iPy2XK5BPMjp5.gif

Edit: I spent 2 hours the other day talking about Kassian, the argument was that he has not been given the correct amount of ice time to produce, so STFU.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

As much as I bash Tabris, he's right on the money with this one.

Once players go through draft and find no career in it, they move on to other things.

People just assume that what you see is what you get

Players like Tim Thomas who didn't even get a chance until he was in his thirties...

Ed Belfour, Martin St. Louis both undrafted and weren't great at first... How many bust prospects could have become great?

Socreges

Banned
Saw it coming after the story yesterday. Dude either wanted too much money or too long of a contract. Maybe both. Oh well. His skill set is replaceable even if I liked him. Dude had the chance to keep playing with Joe Thornton and prove his worth but I guess he wasn't interested.

DW, you better have another trade or FA signing up your sleeve.
Nah man, you guys are set

Marleau-Couture-Hertl
A. Draftpick-Thronton-Burns
Torres-Pavelski-Kennedy
Desjardins-Wingels-Burish
Havlat(injured)/Sheppard/Kearns

Vlasic-Braun
Stuart-Demers
Irwin-Boyle

Niemi
Stalock

Yep. I'm going for discussions, tired of every response of mine being trolled so I'll continue at it :)
This is like a man born with no legs deciding one day to try walking. Good luck.

Cake Boss

Banned
As much as I bash Tabris, he's right on the money with this one.

Once players go through draft and find no career in it, they move on to other things.

People just assume that what you see is what you get

Players like Tim Thomas who didn't even get a chance until he was in his thirties...

Ed Belfour, Martin St. Louis both undrafted and weren't great at first... How many bust prospects could have become great?

The general consensus has always been that goalies take longer to develop and teams arent willing to give goalies roster spots and hope they can develop while playing important games for the club, an underdeveloped inexperienced goalie can lose you games on his own, a skater can be in your lineup and not hurt you as much. Which is why you see goalies buried in the AHL or in Europe until they are 28-30 to finally get their chance at a #1 position.

As for StLouis, his issue and the question mark was always about his size and weather he could handle the NHL physicality.

Nah man, you guys are set

Marleau-Couture-Hertl
A. Draftpick-Thronton-Burns
Torres-Pavelski-Kennedy
Desjardins-Wingels-Burish
Havlat(injured)/Sheppard/Kearns

Vlasic-Braun
Stuart-Demers
Irwin-Boyle

Niemi
Stalock

This is like a man born with no legs deciding one day to try walking. Good luck.

I'll be taking this...

Red_Man

"Wow! My lifelong dream has come true!! #FLAMES" - TJ Galiardi

First and last time that will ever be said.

Top Bottom