• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm happy about the future of this Leaf squad though. Very optimistic.
It's nice to see the Habs and Leafs both competitive at the same time, especially with both teams having talented rookies coming up. Should make for a great, legitimate rivalry for years to come.

Curufinwe

So the Lightning may be targeting Nichushkin at #3 over Drouin.

trdmhlE.gif

I can't believe they would pass up Drouin but I hope Nichushkin goes somewhere in the top 10.

Delryk

I dont want Domi, fack small centers we already have Kadri (Kadri is bigger at 6 feet though).

If Domi plays the same style in the NHL, who cares about his size... Doug Gilmour was 5'10" and we never cared about how small he is. Dude was gritty and strong. Domi doubled his pts in his 2nd season with the Knights and leading them to the cup! :p

So the Lightning may be targeting Nichushkin at #3 over Drouin.

trdmhlE.gif
Would be a shake-up and Nashville would wet themself thoroughly. Makes sense though, wasn't Conacher moved because Yzerman thought the forward core was too small? A big Nash like player in Nichushkin would be a boost in the size department.

Personally I don't think Drouin is in the NHL next season. I think he takes one more jr. year to bulk up like Huberdeau.

Red_Man

Personally I don't think Drouin is in the NHL next season. I think he takes one more jr. year to bulk up like Huberdeau.
I disagree, he won't last past the 5th pick and all of Tampa, Nashville and Carolina could use him right away. It'll be similar to RNH's first season. Tampa is the only team I could see not playing him right away, but I don't see how you don't put that kind of talent in your line up right away.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I just want one in Minnesota so I can finally go to one. :lol

An outdoor game in Minnesota? In the winter? How many jackets do you have to wear to survive that? How many drunk fans and teenage girls will die that day?

ZeroGravity

Would be a shake-up and Nashville would wet themself thoroughly. Makes sense though, wasn't Conacher moved because Yzerman thought the forward core was too small? A big Nash like player in Nichushkin would be a boost in the size department.
Well Conacher was mostly moved because he was the most NHL-ready of our prospects and that's what Ottawa needed. Plus we have a better, but equally-as-small forward in Tyler Johnson in waiting.

I think Droun is just too good to pass up. No scout has Nichushkin rated higher. If you like someone better or you're drafting on need, you had better trade down and maximize your assets.

I disagree, he won't last past the 5th pick and all of Tampa, Nashville and Carolina could use him right away. It'll be similar to RNH's first season. Tampa is the only team I could see not playing him right away, but I don't see how you don't put that kind of talent in your line up right away.
He'd almost certainly start the season at least, give him the 10 game tryout. We have forward positions up for grab.

Red_Man

He'd almost certainly start the season at least, give him the 10 game tryout. We have forward positions up for grab.
Well in that case then there's no way he doesn't start the season in the NHL. He's the best forward of the draft imo, I'd give up anything besides Galchenyuk, Price and Subban to get him. Too bad it would take one of them to get that pick.

vilmer_

I hope to god that americans aren't tuned in to cbc, anywhere. It's pretty sad as a canadian company. We just had to endure an hour of an ottawa practice between the goddamn periods.

I think Droun is just too good to pass up. No scout has Nichushkin rated higher. If you like someone better or you're drafting on need, you had better trade down and maximize your assets.
Early international scouting had Nish up in the top 3. Have also remember he is in the KHL against much bigger opponents than the CHL prospects. I do see the top 4-5 being near perfect matches for the teams. I would be extremely surprised to see the very too teams trade away or shake up the order.
COL- Franchise D-man
FLA- 1C
TPB- St. Louis protege
Nash-Big 1C

All perfectly fit the needs of the respective teams.

Well in that case then there's no way he doesn't start the season in the NHL. He's the best forward of the draft imo, I'd give up anything besides Galchenyuk, Price and Subban to get him. Too bad it would take one of them to get that pick.

I still go with MacKinnon's overall package over Druoin. MacK's got increadible speed and can stickhandle at speed , 2 way play and the ability to finish plays. Drouin's a highly skilled player but his size and style will be harder to adjust to the NHL.

Samyy

I wore my Leafs ballcap in downtown Toronto earlier today. The sting of defeat is washing away.

I know I said it already, but I legitimately teared up after that loss. I'm more emotional than most people I know, but I was still surprised at myself for being so emotionally invested and in such a delicate state after the collapse in game 7. Heck "teared up" is really a euphemism - I cried, hahah.

I'm happy about the future of this Leaf squad though. Very optimistic.

Im tempering expectations, new division is extremely tough. It may be hard to get into the playoffs next year.

Theres also a ton of questions to be answered. What happens to Grabo? Do we resign Bozak? If Kadri is ready to be the 2C then who is the 1C, Grabo or Bozak? Or do we just slot in Kadri.
Im also interested to see what happens with Colborne, I thought he looked great with Frattin and could see him slotting into the 3C role. He needs to be given a shot so we can see what he really is. I don't think were going to find a 1C anywhere through FA, so I hope Nonis blows a ton of picks on center prospects this draft.

Nonis also needs to find a veteran D to help Phaneuf out.

A veteran backup goalie is also needed for an 82 game season, need someone who can come in and play some solid hockey for 15-25 games. Both Scrivs and Reims are still young. Scriven should be logging solid minutes in the A not wasting away on the bench.

Is St. Louis letting go of Stewart and Berglund?

They are certainly potential trade pieces, yes. At least one of Stewart, Berglund, Perron or Oshie is gone. Maybe Shattenkirk depending on the return.

Anything involving Berglund would likely involve a Center coming back. Lehtera is pretty much the only option we have at Center right now outside of busts and no one knows if he's NHL ready.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
They are certainly potential trade pieces, yes. At least one of Stewart, Berglund, Perron or Oshie is gone. Maybe Shattenkirk depending on the return.

Anything involving Berglund would likely involve a Center coming back. Lehtera is pretty much the only option we have at Center right now outside of busts and no one knows if he's NHL ready.

Damn, Oshie is a possibility too?

St. Louis would probably be a good destination for Plekanec, but I'm not even sure he's a trade possibility.

Red_Man

Damn, Oshie is a possibility too?

St. Louis would probably be a good destination for Plekanec, but I'm not even sure he's a trade possibility.
I would bet a lot on him being available, but Oshie and Perron are both too much of the same. A guy like Stewart on the other hand might be a nice fit. If Bergevin uses Pleks as trade bait, I'd rather he use him to get a high draft pick.

Cake Boss

Banned

Dips on 1 of them, we need some experience on the top 6, got an entire 2nd line full of rookies.

Stewart looked like shit in the playoffs, for a big guy playing in one of the most physical series he was soft as hell. I saw Schwartz finish his checks more than him, plus he seems a bit dumb on the ice, doesn't know where to be on the ice, especially in the defensive zone. But he does have a nasty shot and seems hard to knock off the puck down low too.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I would bet a lot on him being available, but Oshie and Perron are both too much of the same. A guy like Stewart on the other hand might be a nice fit. If Bergevin uses Pleks as trade bait, I'd rather he use him to get a high draft pick.

Oshie and Perron are very different aren't they?

I could see Plekanec returning Berglund and Stewart as they're both RFA's, unless Berglund's potential ceiling is too high still.

Red_Man

Oshie and Perron are very different aren't they?

I could see Plekanec returning Berglund and Stewart as they're both RFA's, unless Berglund's potential ceiling is too high still.
What I meant is that they're both smaller, skilled forwards which we already have too much of, combined with Kristo coming up soon and guys like Collberg in junior.

Seattle's attempt to steal an NBA team has finally been put to bed, and thereby so to has Bettman's dream of a NHL franchise in that fair city (or at least the possibility so he could gouge the Quebec group).

Quick

Banned
You shut your whore mouth.

Why u heff to be mad?

Sweet, should hopefully be seeing it this weekend.

I'm watching it again on Friday.

Is it true Kirk and Spock make out?

John Harrison turns out to be Alternate Universe Evil Mirror Kirk. It's why it's called "Into Darkness". Enterprise has a transport mishap while escaping from under water, and gets transported to the mirror universe, and the whole movie is them escaping.

calder

I just saw Star Trek Into Darkness.

DAMN.

Man I hope it's good. I've been slightly.. underwhelmed by the trailers and couldn't figure out why until recently. I think it's just too much footage of shit going on in San Fran. Sure the Enterprise (presumably) crashing in the ocean looks cool, but I don't watch Star Trek to see some random dude blowing shit up on Earth. I'm hopeful the movie is much more focused on space, and god knows I'll see it anyway, but the trailers really didn't do much for me. And I think whoever did the advertising for the movie really really overestimates the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch to the average movie goer.

Socreges

Banned
I'm guessing Cumberbatch is the guy playing the villain? Looks like a great casting. I don't think they need a famous name to draw people in

calder

I'm guessing Cumberbatch is the guy playing the villain? Looks like a great casting. I don't think they need a famous name to draw people in

I'm sure he's great in it - he's the best thing on the criminally overrated Sherlock - but the first ads for Star Trek were weird. It's like they positioned him as a major, recognizable star by focusing the trailers on him so much when I'd guess 95% of the potential audience would have zero idea who he is.

Quick

Banned
I'm sure he's great in it - he's the best thing on the criminally overrated Sherlock - but the first ads for Star Trek were weird. It's like they positioned him as a major, recognizable star by focusing the trailers on him so much when I'd guess 95% of the potential audience would have zero idea who he is.

I'm sure he's great in it - he's the best thing on the criminally overrated Sherlock

he's the best thing on the criminally overrated Sherlock

criminally overrated Sherlock

criminally overrated

tumblr_m7na7eGkwA1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

8NZU6Dg.gif

You know why.

Socreges

Banned
As someone who doesn't really know who he is, apart from recognizing him from Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, it made me more interested in the film because the villain seems really interesting. I'm also not sure what else would be worth showing - there are zero big names in the film.

As someone who doesn't really know who he is, apart from recognizing him from Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, it made me more interested in the film because the villain seems really interesting. I'm also not sure what else would be worth showing - there are zero big names in the film.

Watch Sherlock.

Right the fuck now.

calder

Sherlock is a mediocre-to-poor show with two good actors in the lead roles and some decent cinematography/atmosphere. The plots are lousy and the mysteries are horribly bad (I've only seen the first season and first eps of the second). Every episode has a few head slappingly ridiculous plot holes or absurdities.

calder

I hope Soc does watch it, he can be the Offseason TV Decider and guide our collective opinion of the show.

And seriously, how that show so beloved is the real fucking mystery. Just thinking about the plotting and central mystery of the final eps of season one makes me dizzy lol.
so the guy just happened to have the complete missile defense plans on a $5 Sandisk USB drive that he took from work and BROUGHT TO A BAR DURING HIS BACHELOR PARTY FOR NO REASON TO DRUNKENLY WAVE IT AROUND?!
That plot illogic is an insult to the Holmes legacy.

Top Bottom