• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

While there's nothing wrong with Yost looking into some finances and posting about it, the email he got was correct that he was bordering on libel there.

Bordering at best, all he did is look up public info and I think any conclusion he wrote came directly from Price Waterhouse not him.

The fact that team sems to be on a strict budget is worrisome, it doesn't affect us much now as we're rebuilding through the draft but down the road we're going to have a lot of raises to give out to RFAs and the cap and floor will be higher. I don't mind not spending much. The Leafs have unlimited money and look at the stupid shit they do with it LOL.

If they're unable to resign Alfie due to money I would love to hear them explain that to fans and season ticket holders.

yyzjohn

Banned
I'm ok with the Grabovski buy out, his $5.5M was a ridiculous contract when Burke first signed it and he can never live up to that number. Really don't want a big money contract on Bozak though, we'll see what Nonis has brewing.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I'm ok with the Grabovski buy out, his $5.5M was a ridiculous contract when Burke first signed it and he can never live up to that number. Really don't want a big money contract on Bozak though, we'll see what Nonis has brewing.

grabo was the heart of the team for the last few years :(

now we have 2 centers with a contract

yayyyyyy

Delryk

They only reason i see is Bozak is the link to Kessel resigning.... ug. Grabo is lightyears better than Bozak. I blame Carlyle on Grabos season.

Samyy

we now have over $24 million in cap

COME TO US FREE AGENTS

COME TO US

Not really, need to resign a bunch of RFAs and conserve money for Kessels new contract
Lets say Kessel gets a 2.6million dollar raise, we now have around 22.4mil to play with
Kadri, Bernier are the big RFAs that need contracts probably 3.5/2.5 respectively
So thats what16.4mil? Then theres a couple other RFAs, one center to sign and maybe one more 1-2 defence men
Eh I guess it is a decent amount of cap space.

Oh forgot Franson, thats probably another 3 million

Cake Boss

Banned
Bordering at best, all he did is look up public info and I think any conclusion he wrote came directly from Price Waterhouse not him.

The fact that team sems to be on a strict budget is worrisome, it doesn't affect us much now as we're rebuilding through the draft but down the road we're going to have a lot of raises to give out to RFAs and the cap and floor will be higher. I don't mind not spending much. The Leafs have unlimited money and look at the stupid shit they do with it LOL.

If they're unable to resign Alfie due to money I would love to hear them explain that to fans and season ticket holders.

Try next season.

Conacher
Silfverberg
Greening
Obrien
Cowen
Gryba
Lehner

are all RFAs next summer, we aren't in a rebuild anymore, making the playoffs for 2 years straight and drafting at 15, and 17 isnt rebuilding.

We have been rebuilding through the draft since 2008, Murray has already stated he wants to take the next step by acquiring talent externally through trade or through free agency but he says he has to work through the budget thats been given to him. Melnyk is fucking up hard here.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
AHLXP.gif

YES!!!! Run Cleary, run, run far far away to another team that will pay you your 3 million! One of your guy's teams better be stupid enough to offer him his money!

Here, Cleary, I'll save you the time:

Zero. That's the interest around the league for your services. Zero.

Silexx

His posts could be read as insinuating that Melnyk may default on payments. That's where things get really murky and can land him in serious trouble. But there is absolutely nothing wrong into looking at why the team is suddenly on a strict budget this year.

We have been rebuilding through the draft since 2008, Murray has already stated he wants to take the next step by aquiring talent externally through trade or through free agency but he says he has to work through the budget thats been given to him. Melnyk is fucking up hard here.

Most of those guys will not make that much and may not be with the team either. We've been rebuilding through the draft since '08 but we're only now seeing results. They need identify the new 'core' of the team, which guys should be signed long term because they are irreplaceable. Too soon to tell.

We also made a run at Nash last year. Unless that was false, it seems the money is there for a top player. Even a year ago, Melnyk said on Team 1200 his door is always and he's always willing to listen, which tells they can make an exception.

Clarkson is a UFA signing disaster waiting to happen. One year where he scored 30G on a 13% shot percentage much higher than his other years.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Josh rimer:

Hearing Leafs are in talks with Riberio, Weiss and Clarkson. Bozak a possibility too. They can't sign them all but could sign 2 of them

Hahahaha oh man

Calling it now, Grabo to St. Louis.

Grabo is now likely the best 2 way center on the market. Great pickup for any team.

yyzjohn

Banned
Josh rimer:

Hearing Leafs are in talks with Riberio, Weiss and Clarkson. Bozak a possibility too. They can't sign them all but could sign 2 of them

Hahahaha oh man

Grabo is now likely the best 2 way center on the market. Great pickup for any team.

Grabovski is a great 2 way center? OK...give your head a shake man.

Cake Boss

Banned
Most of those guys will not make that much and may not be with the team either. We've been rebuilding through the draft since '08 but we're only now seeing results. They need identify the new 'core' of the team, which guys should be signed long term because they are irreplaceable. Too soon to tell.

We also made a run at Nash last year. Unless that was false, it seems the money is there for a top player. Even a year ago, Melnyk said on Team 1200 his door is always and he's always willing to listen, which tells they can make an exception.

Yeah that was last year, with the lockout and all, shit got tight for Melnyk.

We'll see though, as of right now its not looking good as our franchise player shouldnt have never had the ability to talk to other teams. And with this talk of 50M budget it doesnt look like Melnyk is ready to make an exception.

We'll see though, as of right now its not looking good as our franchise player shouldnt have never had the ability to talk to other teams. And with this talk of 50M budget it doesnt look like Melnyk is ready to make an exception.

Let's wait and see what happens. I still refuse to believe he will sign elsewhere, this is typical Newport BS.

The 50M figure is just speculation, they spent $52-53 last year. I'd rather Murray keep going, especially after seeing what Nonis is doing :lol.

Any team that tries to build through free agency is headed for disaster, we've seen it time and time again.

terrible

Banned
Pretty surprised at the Grabo buyout

Unless they plan on signing Ribeiro, etc or making some trades that'll bring some salary in I see it as a bit of an overreaction. He's had one awful half season on his career. Meh. He was thrown into a role that didn't make sense given his skillset and he pooped the bed. It would have made more sense to give him another year before buying him out unless they absolutely needed the cap space. If they did this just so they'd have room to overpay Bozak it's goofy.

Top Bottom