• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Cactus

Banned
Grabovski is a great 2 way center? OK...give your head a shake man.

Grabovski drove possession when he was on the ice...even against top lines. He's a very good two-way center, and he has been for the last three years.

Overpaid? Yes, sure, but he wasn't one of the problems with the team.

I mean, Nonis chose to buy Grabovski out over Liles? A fucking third-pairing D making $4m? I can't believe it.

I swear to god, if Bozak is re-signed, I'm going to have a meltdown.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Unless they plan on signing Ribeiro, etc or making some trades that'll bring some salary in I see it as a bit of an overreaction. He's had one awful half season on his career. Meh. He was thrown into a role that didn't make sense given his skillset and he pooped the bed. It would have made more sense to give him another year before buying him out unless they absolutely needed the cap space. If they did this just so they'd have room to overpay Bozak it's goofy.

The offensive prowess of ribeiro vs 2-way play of grabo in a defensive system

Our wingers would be so much more deadly but we may be sacrificing too much IMO

Having the ability to change ribeiro and kadri would be a benefit

^^ I'd rather have bought out liles as we have rielly in the wings... They might not be confident they will re-sign phaneuf

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Ribeiro would be a great role model for Kadri too.

Cactus

Banned
Grabmyballski WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

:'(

Let's remember the good times.

grabovsky_mikhail_pineapple.jpg

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder what exactly the Rangers are trying to do with putting Asham and Powe on waivers. It does open up about $2m in cap space, so it might be some added room so they can try to hang on to Clowe or maybe some one or two cheapo UFAs. Or maybe it's just to open up some room in case someone offer sheets McDonagh?

Cake Boss

Banned
Any team that tries to build through free agency is headed for disaster, we've seen it time and time again.

Yeah, but no one is saying that we should go all Pegula and get a bunch of shitty contracts, it just seems we are at that stage to take the next step and the only way of doing it is by spending a bit more either through trade or free agency. All of the cup winners have had to acquire external talent through trade or from the market. And no cup winner has won by being a budget team.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
We'll see what happens but you'd have to think Nonis has something big worked out. There wasn't a rush to have to buyout Grabo when they could still do it next season right?

yyzjohn

Banned
Grabovski drove possession when he was on the ice...even against top lines. He's a very good two-way center, and he has been for the last three years.

Overpaid? Yes, sure, but he wasn't one of the problems with the team.

I mean, Nonis chose to buy Grabovski out over Liles? A fucking third-pairing D making $4m? I can't believe it.

I swear to god, if Bozak is re-signed, I'm going to have a meltdown.

The contract is the issue here. If the move is to buyout Grabovski to only give Bozak big money then it's a mistake. If the Leafs have a trade or FA signing that gives them a #1C then the move makes sense. You can't have Grabovski making $5.5M and playing 3rd line center.

#1C
Kadri
Bolland
McClement

should be the centers.

Hmmm...

TSN said:
The Leafs second-line pivot landed in Russia for much of the recent NHL lockout, playing alongside one of his active idols, Pavel Datsyuk, for the Red Army squad in Moscow. Sharing the same agent, Gary Greenstin, the two have formed a friendship over time; Grabovski even spent a month living with Datsyuk in Detroit years back, his first attempt to pepper the brain of the Red Wings star.

"Right now it's better because that [at] time I'm a little bit young," he noted slyly of those early days alongside Datsyuk.

Suiting up in 29 games with CSKA Moscow - most recently on a line with Datsyuk and Alexander Radulov, the former Predators winger - Grabovski scored 12 times and added 12 assists. He did so while soaking up as much wisdom as he could from his mentor, the two-time Cup champion. "I don't want to give you secrets," Grabovski grinned, "but what he said is you need to work hard every day. I'm looking at him, how he worked; he worked two times before practice, after practice. If you want to be better, you need to work hard." Datsyuk also stressed that "if you want to win something, be closer to your teammates", a lesson that seemed to evade the younger disciple as a Montreal Canadien, but has engrained itself with age in Toronto.

Grabovski has long modeled his game and work ethic after the three-time Selke Trophy winner - often watching game-tape for pointers - committing his efforts toward becoming a stronger two-way force.

Article from early this year but still.

Grabmyballski with Datsyuk? I like this very much.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I enjoy that "Grabmyballski" has endured all these years.

Just wish "Latenstiff" wasn't injured as much so we could use that more.

yyzjohn

Banned
I don't know how I feel yet about the buyout - Grabovski's contract was pretty terrible, but I still thought he was a valuable part of the team.

Sarcasm?

Have to see what Nonis does in the next few days before we can totally judge the buyout. If he doesn't have a clear upgrade then they should have given Grabovski one more year to bounce back and then buy him out next summer if he still stinks.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Have to see what Nonis does in the next few days before we can totally judge the buyout. If he doesn't have a clear upgrade then they should have given Grabovski one more year to bounce back and then buy him out next summer if he still stinks.

Bingo.

You're doing well john, you may see yourself getting promoted to one of the assistant captains on Leafs-GAF.

terrible

Banned

^^ I'd rather have bought out liles as we have rielly in the wings... They might not be confident they will re-sign phaneuf

Doesn't really make sense to me right now either. They're something like 2nd in the league in terms of cap space right now. What are they planning on doing?

Fuck the Sun.

We need to publicly execute whoever writes their puns.

But I can't see Alfie signing with another team, It would be a complete PR mess that there's really no getting out of. Also it would just be sad.

I wonder what exactly the Rangers are trying to do with putting Asham and Powe on waivers. It does open up about $2m in cap space, so it might be some added room so they can try to hang on to Clowe or maybe some one or two cheapo UFAs. Or maybe it's just to open up some room in case someone offer sheets McDonagh?

Nobody is going to offer sheet McD, I'm not worried about that. They can elect arbitration to keep him away from them, but I also don't see another team trying to draw the ire of the Rangers. The extra 2 mill is nice though, gives us some flexibility. I think Clowe is a goner, though I'd love to keep him if he came cheap.

Merguson

Banned
On the other hand, we have $50 million to spend next year. Obviously this will be eaten up by whoever we sign in free agency.. including our restricted free agents.

Kessel, Bolland, Kulemin, McClement, Phaneuf, Gardiner and Reimer have expiring contracts the next year. We will need cap space for those. Most of these players we would want to keep, no?

Yeah, but no one is saying that we should go all Pegula and get a bunch of shitty contracts, it just seems we are at that stage to take the next step and the only way of doing it is by spending a bit more either through trade or free agency. All of the cup winners have had to acquire external talent through trade or from the market. And no cup winner has won by being a budget team.

You're right but:

On free agency the top players almost always get shitty contracts. You are not getting a good player without giving him a shit contract. And there is no guys I would call top end players. Chicago got Hossa as a free agent but he is an exceptional player, one of the best although he is on a shit contract.

We haven't fully identified our core yet, are we going to sign Zibanejad, Silf, Cowen etc long-term ? We can't be blowing through salary and cap space if it costs us key RFAs down the road. You spend on free agents when you've got the main pieces in place and you want to put yourself "over the top" so to speak.

On the other hand, we have $50 million to spend next year. Obviously this will be eaten up by whoever we sign in free agency.. including our restricted free agents.

Kessel, Bolland, Kulemin, McClement, Phaneuf, Gardiner and Reimer have expiring contracts the next year. We will need cap space for those. Most of these players we would want to keep, no?

FUCK THAT!

TEAR IT DOWN!

LET'S GO SHOPPING!

yyzjohn

Banned
Lebrun saying Leafs shopped Grabovski all over the league, even offered to retain part of the salary in a trade and no takers.

Top Bottom