• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Solo

Assuming Pleks is shipped, our lineup will look something like this next season:

1st line: Gallagher-DD-Pacioretty
2nd line: Bourque-Eller-Briere
3rd line: Prust-Galchenyuk-UFA
4th line: White-Dumont-Moen

1st pairing: Subban-Gorges
2nd pairing: Markov-Diaz
3rd pairing: Boullion-Tinordi
7th man: Drewise

Price
Budaj

IR: Emelin, Gionta

Although AGally will probably spend another season at wing. That line-up is not good enough/worse than this season's.

Assuming Pleks is shipped, our lineup will look something like this next season:

1st line: Gallagher-DD-Pacioretty
2nd line: Bourque-Eller-Briere
3rd line: Prust-Galchenyuk-UFA
4th line: White-Dumont-Moen

1st pairing: Subban-Gorges
2nd pairing: Markov-Diaz
3rd pairing: Boullion-Tinordi
7th man: Drewise

Price
Budaj

IR: Emelin, Gionta

Although AGally will probably spend another season at wing. That line-up is not good enough/worse than this season's.

For your sake I hope they trade DD and have Plekanec or Eller as the 1C.

Solo

For your sake I hope they trade DD and have Plekanec or Eller as the 1C.

So do I, man.

So do I. Eller is the 1C we've been waiting for years to have (and of course AGally is that and more a few years down the line). Don't screw the pooch here, Habs.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Health + Therrien + health + Gallys + health + the team not actually being as bad as 15th + health were much bigger factors than any of Bergevin's moves (aside from hiring MT).

Pretty disingenuous to attribute the Habs rising to 2nd to Bergevin when the team was basically the one Gainey/Gauthier put together.
You think all the kids would have flourished under the old regime? It's Bergevin whit bought out Gomez, traded Cole and brought in Therrien and set the precedent for winning that the team showed all year, none of that would have happened had Gautheir remained.

Eh, not really true with Horvat and Shinkaruk now in the system. Canucks are one of the weakest teams in that area, of course, but I could see Gaunce or Schroeder being dealt now that we've got Horvat.
I meant in the context of teams prospect pools, Canucks have on be of the weaker ones and nothing of interest to the Habs.

Who's saying the team is awful and will crash and burn?

Briere isn't the first bad contract he's signed. I'm still giving Bergevin the benefit of the doubt, but I'm losing more and more confidence in him with every bad signing he makes.

Nothing I've seen seems to suggest Eller is going to get the playing time he deserves so far, and I guarantee DD starts the season between our two best wingers.
Overreactions on here and on twitter / hfboards are disgusting people calling him worst then Gautheir? Wtf? People think to think for a minute, Bergevin just went through the draft drafting big guys to fill a need on the team, he didn't get Briere without something else planned, he clearly wants the team to get bigger so someone else is on the move. I don't like the contract either, but we should wait until the team actually plays to see if his moves paid off or not, which he's not finished yet either.

Cake Boss

Banned
You guys know that the free agency still hasnt even began yet, and teams are just now beginning to trade players. Still lots of time left.

Solo

not so bad then, the real drama here is that Galchenyuk NEEDS to play center ASAP

I don't think you'll see AGally as a full-time centre until 2014-2015. I think this season he'll be a 3rd line winger (again) or more likely a 2nd line winger. 2014-2015 he'll become 2C.

What they MUST do this season though is give AGally some fucking PP time. I don't ever want to see grinders like Moen on the PP over him again.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Contrary to my reaction here, I don't think signing Briere makes the team worse, but it's a lateral move. We'll see what Toronto ends up doing, but the new division is going to be insane.

Red_Man

Who's spot is he taking anyways? Thomas? He's 5'9 we don't have any winger prospects that could fit into the top 6 right now, so there's not a whole lot of options out there. I still don't like the signing but people need to quit pretending like there's a lot of better options out there right now. It's two years, the fate of the Habs won't depend on one winger.

Eller is not and will never be a true 1C.
He's not and he's not suppose to be. Neither is Pleks, Pleks is an elite 2 way centre which is what most fans should hope for out of Eller. He's not quite there yet, which is why it's risky to trade Plekanec now but his value is not going to decrease from this point onwards.

Solo

Eller is not and will never be a true 1C.

Sure he will - in a sense. I get what you're saying, but Eller will become Plekanec for this team for the next 2-4 years. ie. a 2C forced into the 1C role because we don't have anyone else.

Eventually AGally will become the first legit 1C we've had since the Damphousse/Turgeon days of 20 years ago.

Cleary is looking for a three-year contract around $3 million per season, and he has garnered interest from almost a dozen other teams.

YESSSS!!!!! I feel bad for whoever signs him for that, but it looks like the Wings won't. With that said, Brunner better resign here shortly!!!

Socreges

Banned
Contrary to my reaction here, I don't think signing Briere makes the team worse, but it's a lateral move. We'll see what Toronto ends up doing, but the new division is going to be insane.
I think it could make the Habs worse, in a sense. With the cap being lowered, every million is precious. That's $4m less in cap space that could be used to acquire other players.

You guys know that the free agency still hasnt even began yet, and teams are just now beginning to trade players. Still lots of time left.

Luongo is the 1G in Vancouver, Briere is a Hab, Leafs actually got worse at C, and Cake Boss is acting as a calming force.

Strange days.

Red_Man

I think it could make the Habs worse, in a sense. With the cap being lowered, every million is precious. That's $4m less in cap space that could be used to acquire other players.
Both Markov and Gionta's contracts are up next year and won't be resigned / traded, and Bergevin has the move a centre at some point.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
You can be Desharnais and get first line centre minutes on this team.

:lol... :(

The free agent market is pretty slim for right wingers this summer, next summer it could be a problem. If they're making another move, they'll be moving somebody out, Plekanec is the only one who will get anything worthwhile in return, and that's $5 million.

I would have loved to add someone like Chris Stewart instead though.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wait wait wait wait WHAT?!

Leafs fan? New low for me. :(
You traitorous SOB! >: (
Luongo is the 1G in Vancouver, Briere is a Hab, Leafs actually got worse at C, and Cake Boss is acting as a calming force.

Strange days.

How did we get worse? We have 3 centremen and we're still looking for a no.1.

UFA? 1C Weiss? Trade? Bozak again...?
Kadri 2C
Bolland 3C
McClement 4C (the unsung hero of the season)

I had an inkling it'd be Komi and Grabo. Grabovski just wasn't meshing with Carlye's system, and he wasn't going to have a bounce back year playing defensive minutes. Hopefully, we can have Kadri and whomever our 1C is in the offensive zone more and Bolland and McClement doing the dirty work.

Cake Boss

Banned
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 3m

Going to be interesting to see what type of dollars a team offers David Clarkson. He's gotten a lot of attention. Leafs, Sens all over him.

Northbeast getting beastier.

Murray spent half of the conference talking about Alfie and pimping out Clarkson.

He is probably using us as leverage to get the most out of Toronto.

Quick

Banned
I'll cut you.

iGzh1NOoST8Gh.gif

Red_Man

Ill say this, I'd rather have Briere for 2 years at $4 M then whatever poor team is going to give Clarkson $5-6M x 5-6 years, there's a terrible contract.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Sens drive Clarkson's price up to $6M+ AAV and the Leafs bite.

I hope the Habs sign another undersized play...

oh shit... ;)

I think you're too rough on Briere. I'm not sure 1C is good for him, but if you hide him in 2C, he's going to surprise people. I still think he has 2 years left in tank

Samyy

I see the "Northbeast" division is going to be a hell of a challenge :/
Boston, Detroit, Sens, Habs, Leafs all had playoff spots
Who gets cut I wonder
Its probably us :(

Solo

I hope there are some more big trades ala Seguin/Erikkson/5 plugs coming, as I don't think the free agent signings themselves are going to be very exciting.

Samyy

I hope there are some more big trades ala Seguin/Erikkson/5 plugs coming, as I don't think the free agent signings themselves are going to be very exciting.

Free agent signings will be good for the meltdowns
I've already prepared a few

Yea but the other east division is no pushover either in Pit NY Wsh, also Devils could have a bounce back season. The Islanders are also probably going to challenge again, probaly push down one of WSH or NJ.

How did we get worse? We have 3 centremen and we're still looking for a no.1.

We had a pair of 2C's, a prospect playing at 3C, and a 4C.

Now we have a prospect playing at 3C, a 3C, and a 4C.

The last time we tried to fix our problems with the centre position via free agency we ended up with TIM CONNOLLY. So until we actually sign someone, and that person is actually good, yea, we're definitely worse.

Red_Man

I work all day tomorrow, which isn't that bad seeing as the last few years have been awful for UFAs.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

The last time we tried to fix our problems with the centre position via free agency we ended up with TIM CONNOLLY. So until we actually sign someone, and that person is actually good, yea, we're definitely worse.

No really big available Cs were available, and you know it.

I think Kadri deserves a shot at 2C with the way he played. It's 1C that has been the biggest problem since Sundin left. Not sure if Weiss or another 8 years of Bozak is the right way to go, but I say wait. Unless he signs Antropov or something then we got a problem...

Samyy

I don't think we can call Kadri a 3C anymore after this season. He deserves the 2C spot for now, but yea we are worse off.

Stasis

My mind has trouble seeing Alfredsson playing anywhere other than Ottawa. That said, Boston would be interesting. I think they're making good moves.

Top Bottom