• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Cake Boss

Banned
It's not about money dude.

Yeah right, Garrioch is to the sens as Dreger is to the Leafs, pure PR damage control.

He goes from a 2nd round team to another 2nd round team, it is about the money.

The Wings finished with the same # of points as the injury-riddled Sens last year, its about the money.

Now that I think of it, he's old and he's a swede. I swear though if he actually has like a 5 million dollar deal and he is our only FA acquisition, I will be pretty upset. Not gonna be a legit contender by signing him. We need some more pieces.

Yeah right, Garrioch is to the sens as Dreger is to the Leafs, pure PR damage control.

He goes from a 2nd round team to another 2nd round team, it is about the money.

When has Alfie ever been about money? He made plenty of money in his time here.

He doesn't think this team will challenge for a Cup before he is too old to play.

We could afford to resign him but then we'd have no money to add anyone else (of significance).

He'd be playing for pretty much the same team as last year.

OH SNAP!

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Some think NHL issued memo yesterday to cool specific negotiations because one club complained to NHL about losing its UFA before UFA begins

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Player may have said: I have better offer elsewhere, I'm not coming back. GM flipped he was beat by competing offer before UFA period begins

Socreges

Banned
How's Detroit doing for cap space? Maybe they've got another FA incoming. Because yeah I don't see the improvement over Ottawa.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
If some team actually claims Grabo on waivers do we still pay him or that team takes over and does that mean we get a compliance buyout back?

Cake Boss

Banned
When has Alfie ever been about money? He made plenty of money in his time here.

He doesn't think this team will challenge for a Cup before he is too old to play.

We could afford to resign him but then we'd have no money to add anyone else (of significance).

He'd be playing for pretty much the same team as last year.

He has been about the money when Ottawa lowballed him with a 3M offer, that blank check comment is pure bullshit, the team couldnt even afford to pay for its equipment on the 2nd half of the season and the playoffs, the NHL had to step in.

they have $7.5 million with 4 empty roster spots

10 million, still need to sign UFA (Nyquist, Smith, Andersson). That right their is a potential 4-5 million tied up. Which leaves 5 million left and no real wholes to fill as our roster is full. However as stated just getting Alfie would suck as we still need a 2nd line C as well unless we get one for less than 3-2 million.

He has been about the money when Ottawa lowballed him with a 3M offer, that blank check comment is pure bullshit, the team couldnt even afford to pay for its equipment on the 2nd half of the season and the playoffs, the NHL had to step in.

what is the source of all these comments that the NHL was giving the team money?

I am sure they lost a lot in the lockout, lots of teams did.

So you believe those stories and the $3M offer but not the blank check?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
10 million, still need to sign UFA (Nyquist, Smith, Andersson). That right their is a potential 4-5 million tied up. Which leaves 5 million left and no real wholes to fill as our roster is full. However as stated just getting Alfie would suck as we still need a 2nd line C as well unless we get one for less than 3-2 million.

that quote i was replying to was about Vancouver

You can still use it today if the player has a NMC then he can block waivers. However, the only player on our team with a NMC is.. Phil Kessel.. so yeah.

i don't think so, considering waivers close when FA opens... there's no chance to use it.

Socreges

Banned
Detroit has ~10 million

if alfredsson goes for 5 million... yeah... iginla is going to red wings :|

well 7 if you want the 23 roster

4 to ice a team
Exactly. And what team would be comfortable only having 20 players signed and not allowing themselves any cap space to sign more? So, 7 more needed. Which means we really can't afford anyone who wants more than $1.5m.

yyzjohn

Banned
Alfredsson going to Detroit wouldn't have hurt as much last season with Detroit in the West..now with them in the same division as Ottawa? Yikes.

Cake Boss

Banned
what is the source of all these comments that the NHL was giving the team money?

I am sure they lost a lot in the lockout, lots of teams did.

So you believe those stories and the $3M offer but not the blank check?

Yost posted it not too long ago.

And yeah I believe the 3m offer because it came from Dreger and BobbyMac, I believe it more than Garrioch's blank check comment, the same guys who talked about the 3M offer are the same guys that have been saying that Detroit and Boston are in on Alfie. Looks like they were right after all.

Garrioch is basically the team's PR guy and social media person, you talk about the NA media being played like fiddle, Garrioch is the biggest fiddle there is.

Merguson

Banned
that quote i was replying to was about Vancouver

i don't think so, considering waivers close when FA opens... there's no chance to use it.

Yeah, you're right. For some reason I thought it closed today but "In 2013, the buyout period begins 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends and concludes on July 4 at 5 p.m."

Yost posted it not too long ago.

And where did Yost get it from? He's no insider, he's not even in Ottawa.

The $3M smells like BS because they could offer more than that if our budget is $50M, we're at $40M right now with only 2 cheap RFAs to sign.

Hell they could raise prices or move someone out as well if they had to.

Cake Boss

Banned
ALL HAIL CAPTAIN SPEZZA!

iGvxjbwNump5Z.gif

Merguson

Banned
Andrew Walker ‏@fan960walker 23m
#Leafs Cody Franson wants a Voynov/ Shattenkirk type of deal.

I don't know if this guy is really reliable at all.. but if true..

Voynov is earning $4.167 million for six years.. Shattenkirk earning $4.25 million for four years.

getout.gif

Wings beat writer:

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 15 s
Can confirm what has been reported, Daniel Alfredsson will sign 1-year deal with Red Wings after noon.

Can't believe it, this better not be Kenny's only signing though that is for sure.

Cake Boss

Banned
And where did Yost get it from? He's no insider, he's not even in Ottawa.

The $3M smells like BS because they could offer more than that if our budget is $50M, we're at $40M right now with only 2 cheap RFAs to sign.

Hell they could raise prices or move someone out as well if they had to.

He got it from the same place he got all of that shit on Melnyk which looks to be right about now, now the Citezen is reporting on it and TSN radio is talking about it as well.

They were probably offering him 3M and the rest on a free agent, Detroit is willing to spend to the cap to win, Ottawa isnt, hence why he went to Detroit.

I'm sorry Cakeboss :(

Edit:

Oh for the love of...

#RedWings still in mix for Daniel Cleary, are willing to offer 3 years. Dallas Stars offering more $$.

There is only room for one number 11 on this team, and it is not Cleary.

Red Wings while contenders are no longer top contenders. I would never write them off, but I feel Alfie could have picked somewhere better if he wants to win a cup. Sorry to Sens fans, this must hurt.

He got it from the same place he got all of that shit on Melnyk which looks to be right about now, now the Citezen is reporting on it and TSN radio is talking about it as well.

They were probably offering him 3M and the rest on a free agent, Detroit is willing to spend to the cap to win, Ottawa isnt, hence why he went to Detroit.

He went through this budget and money shit when Bryden owned the team and player's paycheques bounced and he gave up his own salary for others. Probably doesn't want to go through that again.

Hopefully this will put pressure on Eugene to find additional investors or sell the team. We're a big hockey market, there is no fucking way we should be this cheap.

As for Spezza with the C, I think he will do good in that role.

Looks like we're the Coyotes East until this shit gets sorted out.

Top Bottom