• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Heretic

So i'm going sky diving tomorrow! Never even been on a plane haha. But what better way to celebrate my first plane ride than by jumping out of it at 15,000 ft. above sea level :D

Anyone ever sky dive?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So i'm going sky diving tomorrow! Never even been on a plane haha. But what better way to celebrate my first plane ride than by jumping out of it at 15,000 ft. above sea level :D

Anyone ever sky dive?

Wat. Really?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Oh wow, big cool Swiss guy taking planes and shit.

I've never ridden a Segway, if that makes you happy.

I've always wanted to :( I also wanna try skydiving one day. Not bungie-jumping though, fuck that.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
- Not a bad start for MacT and the Oilers.
- Nothing flashy, but Andrew Ference, Boyd Gordon, and LaBarbera are solid. Ference's and Gordon's contracts are a tad excessive, but that's free agency for ya.
- Glad that we lost the David Clarkson sweepstakes. Close call there.
- We still need a big top-6 winger (probably via trade), a 2/3 center (Grabo!!!), another top-4 dman (Coburn or Gilbert?) though.

- Leafs' moves have been awful. There's a chance they may work, but advanced stats say they've regressed.
- I like what Detroit and Dallas have done thus far. Islanders too. Sens too (bold!).
- Nikolai Khabibulin gets a $2M contract from the champs?! Seriously? SERIOUSLY? No, SERIOUSLY??
- Worst contract imo (other than above) is Ryane Clowe's 5 x $4.85M (Devils)
- Why did the Flames trade a 5th round pick for Kris Russell, who was available for free on waivers a few days ago??? Oh right, Feaster.
- Canucks should probably do something. Anything.

- Canucks should probably do something. Anything.
They did, they signed Weber and Richardson.

Honestly, I'm glad we did nothing. Everyone was getting ridiculous contracts, and I wanted no part of that shit. Canucks want youth coming up, and that won't work if we keep plugging holes with veterans.

Solo

Like Heretic and Dastardly have mentioned already, Ryan is extremely inconsistent. He'll get you 30 goals a season every year, but it's extremely streaky. When he's not scoring he's invisible on the ice.

This describes like 90% of goal scorers, unfortunately. Pacioretty is the same way on the Habs. Fucking useless if he isn't scoring.

If Ryan was Russian fans' opinions about him would be much different.

fd6OwAP.jpg

And the Ducks got a great return for Ryan. Silver is going to be a really good player. Already had a solid rookie season and he lit it up in the Swedish leagues before. He is very strong on the puck. Really sad to see him go but guys like Pageau sort of made him expendable.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Putting Nishkunin on the first line right away seems pretty ambitious, especially with Seguin who's been stuck at wing these past few years. Seeing Cole on the third line brightens my morning, maybe he should retire like he said he might after the lockout.

Curufinwe

Grabovski should take a discount to go to a Northeast team and get some revenge. Maybe Florida.

What's a "Pronger to Philly"? Seems to me both teams didn't get that much out of that trade...

I still think that trade was worth doing for the Flyers. You can't plan on freak eye injuries happening, although it does make me more wary of getting any player who doesn't wear a visor.

Putting Nishkunin on the first line right away seems pretty ambitious, especially with Seguin who's been stuck at wing these past few years. Seeing Cole on the third line brightens my morning, maybe he should retire like he said he might after the lockout.

And this is Ruff too, who has trust issues with young guys and has his favorites. Well, he hasn't had the chance to make any yet in DAL, and I'll bet upper management is pretty steadfast on what they want. Not the same when Ruff practically ran the Sabres with Regier. Fuck it's going to be interesting to watch that team...

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Montreal opening day lineup:

Pacioretty- Desharnais - Gallagher
Bourque - Plekanec - Moen
Galchenyuk - Briere - Prust
Parros - White - Blunden

Gorges - Subban
Markov - Diaz
Tinordi - Bouillon

Injuries: Emelin, Gionta
Healthy Scratch- Drewiskie, Dumont, Eller(for not practicing hard enough)

We've had him on a pedestal a little too high.

For all he's done here, he can still be as selfish as anyone else.

Time for the team to prove him wrong.
Yea but Detroit? I fail to see how they are so much better than Ottawa. Plus similar style of play, management etc.

If he went to Boston, it'd at least make some sense.

Anyway, he will get his jersey retired and all obviously, but way to ruin your taste with the fans for selfish reasons. Where else would anyone get their name chanted 3 times every game.

Samyy

So after calming down today I have to say im pretty dissapointed in Nonis. I don't know what he expects to do considering we haven't solved any of our defensive issues. Leafs fans might forget we were getting brutally outshot for the last 2-3 weeks of the season and were just generally outplayed.

Clarkson is the new whipping boy. If hes not producing at the contract the media will rip him to shreds and I hope hes aware of that. If they don't make the playoffs and hes scored less then 40 points it'll be tough to read what they say about him but ultimately for the sake of the team I really hope he steps up. Kadri has a way about making who he plays with better and being on a line with Lupul and him should help.

I don't think we make the playoffs, just based on our defense right now. Thats not to say Nonis couldn't make moves but we essentially wont have cap space after signing more RFAs so don't know what he could do. If they could move Liles that would be a start I guess. On top of this a lot of teams in the East got better so its tough to say if we can sneak into a wildcard spot. I have a bad feeling well be the 5th place team in the division, probably 9-10 in the conference. I do think it was a fluke we made it in this year.

Boston/Detroit/Healthy Sens are pretty much a top 3 lock imo, so we'll be battling it out with the Habs most likely for the wildcard.

Cake Boss

Banned
Yesterday.

7Nergdr.gif

Babby motherfucking Ryannn, receiving passes from a 2 legged Karlsson and Spezza with metal rods on his back. HNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG

They have been talking about doing a trade like that, a 3for1 trade, finally used our prospect depth to use, our 1st legit 1stliner since the FuckingAllstar.

Lost in all of this, the MacArthur signing was pretty good, should replace Silfver's production from last season on Turris's wing.

Need another D though.

Merguson

Banned
Yesterday.

7Nergdr.gif

Babby motherfucking Ryannn, receiving passes from a 2 legged Karlsson and Spezza with metal rods on his back. HNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG

They have been talking about doing a trade like that, a 3for1 trade, finally used our prospect depth to use, our 1st legit 1stliner since the FuckingAllstar.

Lost in all of this, the MacArthur signing was pretty good, should replace Silfver's production from last season on Turris's wing.

Need another D though.

MacArthur needs to be put in the top six, and produce, otherwise he's useless.

Spl1nter

Leafs are at and odd point with there defence situation as they have a lot of very good D prospects in Rielly, Finn, Percy, Blacker, Granberg but they are all a year to early. However there is a chance one or two of them make it to the team still. Granbeg, Percy, Blacker all shoot right and we need a RHD.

cube444

I understand the whole process of free agency but giving Clarkson 7 years and over 5 million per seems really stupid to me. A power forward who is 29 and will be 36 when the contract is up? What a joke. I can't stand Bozak too. Seems to me that this was done merely to appease Kessel.

The Leafs D is still a joke and they desperately lack a true 1C.

I also think Carlyle has way too much influence on the roster and I get the feeling these recent moves have his fingerprints all over them.

Carlyle is a very overrated coach IMO.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The one positive I take from clarkson is he fills a need and he could be very potent with kadri and lupul

Definitely consider it a big upgrade over MacArthur which is mainly finesse

Grabovski -> Bolland basically means the leafs want to challenge for the puck every inch of the ice. Basically out of all our players, kessel is the only one who won't engage with authority. It's all about making the leafs harder to play against.

Do I think we got better offensively player to player? No. but I think the difficulty in containing the leafs will lead to more goals for and less against.

If we can keep franson and kadri and Gunnar as well as Fraser and possibly add someone like penner on the cheap on a prove contract, I feel very very good about the leafs next year.

Leafs have 4 PFs in lupul, JVR, clarkson and kulemin. That's a very valuable thing to have.

With that said we have to see how it all works out, it may be the best thing ever or the worst thing ever. One thing we didn't have a lot of last year was garbage goals as most people will point out... So working under the assumption our shooting % dives, having clarkson would be a good idea. Just hate the salary.

I still think that trade was worth doing for the Flyers. You can't plan on freak eye injuries happening, although it does make me more wary of getting any player who doesn't wear a visor.

Definitely no doubt about it. I didn't want what happened to Pronger to happen, and what I'm talking about is mainly the return Anaheim. I wouldn't wish what happened to Pronger to anyone.

Originally it was a bad trade for Anaheim, but after seeing how well Sbisa, Emerson Etem and Beauchemin turned out, I'm very happy that it happened.

TAKE CARE OF BOBBY, Y'HEAR?

Wait.. MacArthur reproducing... Silversurfers*... Production?

I hope you mean strictly for the past season. He's got big shoes to fill.

*Calling him that until I know how to spell his name instinctively.

Curufinwe

They have to be under just before the season starts though right?

I think Mezaros will be traded for a conditional pick when he is passed fit in a month or so. Gustafson needs to be on the third pairing ahead of him.

Having to put Pronger on LTIR as soon as the season starts is not ideal, because then you have no room if anyone else gets injured and any performance bonuses to Schenn and Couts will be added on to next years cap. BSchenn has to be an All Star to to hit his 1.5m bonus this season which is very unlikely, but him and Couturier have some smaller bonuses which are attainable.

Cake Boss

Banned
TAKE CARE OF BOBBY, Y'HEAR?

Wait.. MacArthur reproducing... Silversurfers*... Production?

I hope you mean strictly for the past season. He's got big shoes to fill.

*Calling him that until I know how to spell his name instinctively.

Yeah just last season's production.

Silfver has the potential to put up 30 goals in this league, maybe even next season if he improves his acceleration a bit, and create room for himself to get that deadly shot of his off. He is a great 2 way player, protects the puck in the boards really well, Alfie style, hard to knock off and decent playmaker. Should be at least 20-25 scorer in this league with strong 2 way play. Noesen is pretty good too, always raises his game in the playoffs in terms of production and intensity, would be at least a 3rd liner in this league with a strong chance of a top 6 guy in the mold of a Ryan Callahan.

He is Silfver's goals from last season.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO9xezg1DpxPVlizwA6fJPO_ukC7Vq6sm

He and Zibenejad got cold in the last half of the season and the playoffs, mainly because it was their first pro season and they werent used to playing that many games in a year before coming from Sweden, played 30 something in the AHL, then 48 in the NHL and another 9 games in the playoffs, not to mention he was coming off a short summer where he MVPed the SEL in the season and playoffs, broke Alfie's goal record in the playoffs and won the championship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3nEtK__sZU

They sang his name after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2HP5MhV6Fc

Enjoy Silfver.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The one positive I take from clarkson is he fills a need and he could be very potent with kadri and lupul

Definitely consider it a big upgrade over MacArthur which is mainly finesse

Grabovski -> Bolland basically means the leafs want to challenge for the puck every inch of the ice. Basically out of all our players, kessel is the only one who won't engage with authority. It's all about making the leafs harder to play against.

Do I think we got better offensively player to player? No. but I think the difficulty in containing the leafs will lead to more goals for and less against.

If we can keep franson and kadri and Gunnar as well as Fraser and possibly add someone like penner on the cheap on a prove contract, I feel very very good about the leafs next year.

Leafs have 4 PFs in lupul, JVR, clarkson and kulemin. That's a very valuable thing to have.

With that said we have to see how it all works out, it may be the best thing ever or the worst thing ever. One thing we didn't have a lot of last year was garbage goals as most people will point out... So working under the assumption our shooting % dives, having clarkson would be a good idea. Just hate the salary.
Dopey our Spinmaster

Yeah just last season's production.

Silfver has the potential to put up 30 goals in this league, maybe even next season if he improves his acceleration a bit, and create room for himself to get that deadly shot of his off. He is a great 2 way player, protects the puck in the boards really well, Alfie style, hard to knock off and decent playmaker. Should be at least 20-25 scorer in this league with strong 2 way play. Noesen is pretty good too, always raises his game in the playoffs in terms of production and intensity, would be at least a 3rd liner in this league with a strong chance of a top 6 guy in the mold of a Ryan Callahan.

He is Silfver's goals from last season.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO9xezg1DpxPVlizwA6fJPO_ukC7Vq6sm

He and Zibenejad got cold in the last half of the season and the playoffs, mainly because it was their first pro season and they werent used to playing that many games in a year before coming from Sweden, played 30 something in the AHL, then 48 in the NHL and another 9 games in the playoffs, not to mention he was coming off a short summer where he MVPed the SEL in the season and playoffs, broke Alfie's goal record in the playoffs and won the championship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3nEtK__sZU

They sang his name after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2HP5MhV6Fc

Enjoy Silfver.

Oh shit yeah. Thanks for the glass of hopium dude!

Razorskin

----- ------
Yup

Gunnarsson and franson will be PAID

Franson was pacing at like 55 points and Gunnar at like 40 as a defensive d-man

Fraser had a really high +/-

I do not think arbitration will go in our favor :-(

Hopefully Nonis remembers what defence is and signs them beforehand.

Top Bottom