• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

A lot more could go wrong. I don't see how anyone can expect an "healthy" season from Jason Spezza, for instance.

I just think the Sens are overachievers, talent-wise. Maybe I'll be wrong, I'm not trying to be Pierre McGuire here. Just an opinion.

And what did I say would "go wrong"? Anderson not repeating and Bobby Ryan not being as great as he was with a star-filled lineup? The rest isn't things going wrong, it's just my opinion of the talent on this team.

Spezza was fourth overall in scoring during his last full season.

I fail to see how Mihalek / Spezza / Ryan is a talent starved line.

So yes if every single one of our star players collectively shit the bed then we won't make the playoffs.

I could say they same thing about les smurfs de Montreal, except it would be way closer to the truth.

yyzjohn

Banned
A lot more could go wrong. I don't see how anyone can expect an "healthy" season from Jason Spezza, for instance.

I just think the Sens are overachievers, talent-wise. Maybe I'll be wrong, I'm not trying to be Pierre McGuire here. Just an opinion.

And what did I say would "go wrong"? Anderson not repeating and Bobby Ryan not being as great as he was with a star-filled lineup? The rest isn't things going wrong, it's just my opinion of the talent on this team.

You could be right about Anderson as he was off the charts good, but Bobby Ryan might actually produce more on Ottawa since he'll get his ice time bumped up. I think he was averaging around 16 min/game with Anaheim, playing on the Sens first line he'll most likely get between 18-20/game.

No, Florida lacks talent. Now with Barkov on the team, you're getting better.
11-12 squad didn't lack talent, scoring depth yeah. That squad had was far better at two-way play. Top line of Flash-Weiss-Steeg was one of the better lines in the league.

Last season was everything going wrong, and then some, absurd amount of man games lost, off season signings were busts (Parros, Kuba) and players not in shape.

You could be right about Anderson as he was off the charts good, but Bobby Ryan might actually produce more on Ottawa since he'll get his ice time bumped up. I think he was averaging around 16 min/game with Anaheim, playing on the Sens first line he'll most likely get between 18-20/game.

Anderson was off the charts good but he's been solid ever since he came to Ottawa and had that 1 awesome year in Colorado so he can be very good, he's got the talent.

Ottawa is the 1st team where he's been a #1 goalie for an extended period of time. He's had success working with our goalie coach as well so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise he's gotten better.

Anderson was off the charts good but he's been solid ever since he came to Ottawa and had that 1 awesome year in Colorado so he can be very good, he's got the talent.

Ottawa is the 1st team where he's been a #1 goalie for an extended period of time. He's had success working with our goalie coach as well so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise he's gotten better.

The stats he had last year are not even repeatable. I don't see how someone could think that you can have a 1.69, 0.941 short season and repeat it. That shit would be unheard of.

The stats he had last year are not even repeatable. I don't see how someone could think that you can have a 1.69, 0.941 short season and repeat it. That shit would be unheard of.

I posted above that I don't expect him to repeat those numbers, it's pretty much impossible.

I am just saying that goaltending will not be a problem for us.

yyzjohn

Banned

I have to agree with FJ here, I doubt Anderson puts up .940+ save % over an 82 game schedule, but I don't think .920+ is unrealistic, and really that's all any great goalie needs to provide a team for success.

I have to agree with FJ here, I doubt Anderson puts up .940+ save % over an 82 game schedule, but I don't think .920+ is unrealistic, and really that's all any great goalie needs to provide a team for success.
But that's my question, you know.

If Anderson can't repeat those stats, and the Sens were kind of a fringe team last season, it's gonna be hard to repeat. They really didn't score a lot of goals...

Cake Boss

Banned
I think the Sens, just like the Habs, overachieved this year.

I don't think Anderson will ever have another year like this.

lol, how about the last 3 years? even if he doesnt we still have .936SV% goalie as a backup, worry about Carey before you worry about our goaltending.

I don't think the defense corps is all that sound.

BWAHAHAH 2nd best GAA in the league and the best PK% in the league even though 2 of our better players were injured (Cowen and Karlsson)

I don't think losing your captain when he's Daniel Alfredsson is easy.

Kind of agree there, but the veteran core here is still strong. Methot, Philips, Neil, Spezza etc

I don't think Spezza is a good first line center.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA hold on BAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH ahahahahahah

wait..... AHAHAHAHAHA 621 points in 611 games 52 career points in 53 playoff games. Michalek's best season in his career was under Spezza's wing, Heatly's best season was under Spezza's wing, same with Greening and everyone he played with.

I don't think Bobby Ryan will thrive as much with this first line.

BWAHAHAHAHAH

I think Karlsson's defensive flaws have been exposed.

Yes him playing on 1 leg for 10 games has really exposed what a fraud he is, lets ignore the other 15 games he played before the injury and the other 82 games before that lol.

I think the Sens will be a fringe team, just like the Habs.

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooolllllllllllllllllllll

iZrT9aJlNXlPd.gif

Cake Boss

Banned
But that's my question, you know.

If Anderson can't repeat those stats, and the Sens were kind of a fringe team last season, it's gonna be hard to repeat. They really didn't score a lot of goals...

Sweet jesus, maybe it had to do with their best 3 offensive players being fucking injured you dink.

The year before that they were 4th in the league in offense.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
????

Makes the playoffs in the shortened season and all of the sudden Isles fans are loud?

hey, you made the playoffs by the skin of your teeth, fired your coach, hung on to horrible Richards, and still have a shitty blueline. You are by no means a lock to make the playoffs.

hey, you made the playoffs by the skin of your teeth, fired your coach, hung on to horrible Richards, and still have a shitty blueline. You are by no means a lock to make the playoffs.

1) We were the 6th seed
2) Fired a coach that the players didn't want to play for.
3) Shitty Blueline? What? You've just lost all credibility.

Keep dreaming pal. If you want to talk about making the playoffs by the skin of your teeth, you should look at your own team, who wouldn't even had made the playoffs in the new alignment. Even if all that other shit hampered us, we still have Henrik Lundqvist.

But whatever helps you sleep at night.

FJ lots of teams might make the playoffs. It's awfully close now, there's very few teams you can pretty much money down guaranteeing they will make it. Especially with the new format.

Injuries and bad luck can take anyone out of the running.

Ottawa might make it, they might not. I don't see how we are overachievers at all though.

Maybe because we were a lottery team a few years ago so everyone believed the media when they said we'd be a basement team for years?

1) We were the 6th seed

Keep dreaming pal. If you want to talk about making the playoffs by the skin of your teeth, you should look at your own team, who wouldn't even had made the playoffs in the new alignment. Even if all that other shit hampered us, we still have Henrik Lundqvist.

lawl.. Any team with Lundqvist and this blueline (what the hell is this isles fan talking about), with Vigneault coaching, is going the make the playoffs.

FJ lots of teams might make the playoffs. It's awfully close now, there's very few teams you can pretty much money down guaranteeing they will make it. Especially with the new format.

Injuries and bad luck can take anyone out of the running.

Ottawa might make it, they might not. I don't see how we are overachievers at all though.

Maybe because we were a lottery team a few years ago so everyone believed the media when they said we'd be a basement team for years?
That's all I said in the first place : they might not make the playoffs.

Why didn't you guys sign Benoit? He was pretty awesome against us this year. 10 points in 33 games isn't bad either.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I think the Sens will make the playoffs, but they can dismiss the abscense of a guy like Alfie. Sens fans credit Gonchar for Karlsson, Weirdcocks development, but when he leaves nothing is lost? Doesn't work like that, same with Alfie. That being said they shouldn't have a problem making the playoffs with Maclean coaching, they'll keep playing for 1 goal games like last year if they have too.

So Dupont from the Boston Globe saying Marchand and Kelly could be traded now
Fuck yes, please do Boston.

lol the irony.

BTW I think the umad bro is bannable, you might want to change that, because HFboards is the only thing you will have left after.
Ironic coming from the guy who's been banned what? 3 or 4 times now?

He's going to want to get PAID in 2 years though. I think that was a huge reason why Ducks were willing to trade him. They won't be able to afford him if he keeps it up and there's no reason to think he won't.

If the rumor is true and the cap goes up to 75 mill next year, and then continues to rise after that, he's going to be getting MAD ducats. at least 7, maybe even 8 if the way free agency goes continues.

Red_Man

McKegg says any rumours regarding Habs trading / signing for Jagr, Colbourn, Talbot, Simmonds are all false. Time to fleece Winnipeg for a centre with Burmistrov bolting.

Socreges

Banned

Why didn't you guys sign Benoit? He was pretty awesome against us this year. 10 points in 33 games isn't bad either.
There are few teams, if any, that this isn't true of. It's what you said in explanation that was kinda ridiculous.

I think the Sens will make the playoffs, but they can dismiss the abscense of a guy like Alfie. Sens fans credit Gonchar for Karlsson, Weirdcocks development, but when he leaves nothing is lost? Doesn't work like that, same with Alfie. That being said they shouldn't have a problem making the playoffs with Maclean coaching, they'll keep playing for 1 goal games like last year if they have too.

Yes that is the risk although who knows at what level Gonchar will play at now. Gonchar was a big help in developing our D-prospects but at this point I think they can continue the progress on their own. The hand holding has to stop at some point.
As for Alfie, hard to predict we have other leaders in the room who can step up. MacArthur should replace his regular season production, hopefully he can be clutch in the playoffs.

He's going to want to get PAID in 2 years though. I think that was a huge reason why Ducks were willing to trade him. They won't be able to afford him if he keeps it up and there's no reason to think he won't.

Yes that might be a problem. Probably looking at Giroux/Getzlaf/Perry numbers.

You called us overachievers, which says if we do make the playoffs it's a fluke. We made the playoffs when everything went right and we made it when everything went wrong. I'd say that's enough reason for optimism.

calder

Sigh. The kid has such talent, but he's amazingly streaky. Still, sad to see him go.]

Exactly the same. Sure he was clearly underperforming, even after you stop thinking of him as a 'top 10' pick which he probably shouldn't have been, but I still felt like he was a year or two away from becoming a really strong 2-way forward and maybe a good-to-great second line guy. Alas.

His development was perhaps stunted already, but his rocky relationship with Noel was going to continue to hurt him I think. Unfortunate situation, I hope he blossoms in the KHL and comes back.

More positive news:
NHLJets
Devin Setoguchi on joining the #NHLJets : "It's a great chance to come to a young team on the up rise"

If there isn't a cliche guidebook for guys to reference on joining a new team, there should be. Just say something that makes you sound even moderately excited and boom you just earned a half season grace period from the fans. Sure it's a jaded way of looking at the situation, but why anyone wouldn't want to get on the good side of the fans going into a situation is beyond me (*COUGH*evander*COUGH*).

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
1) We were the 6th seed

6th seed by what, 2 measly points? You clinched on the last day of the season. And i don't care if you think I'm credible, your world class goalie makes your mediocre D-Men look better than they are.

My wording was poor as I believe the Rangers blueline to be overrated, not shitty. Nail me to the cross if you must.

I'm not saying the Rangers suck, I'm saying they are by no means a lock to make it back to the playoffs and have plenty of issues, despite the ludicrous amounts of money they throw at said issues.

6th seed by what, 2 measly points? You clinched on the last day of the season. And i don't care if you think I'm credible, your world class goalie makes your mediocre D-Men look better than they are.

I'm not saying the Rangers suck, I'm saying they are by no means a lock to make it back to the playoffs and have plenty of issues, despite the ludicrous amounts of money they throw at said issues.

The Rangers didn't clinch on the last day of the season.

Again, whatever helps you sleep at night. I knew Isles fans were delusional but this takes the cake....

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
The Rangers didn't clinch on the last day of the season.

Again, whatever helps you sleep at night. I knew Isles fans were delusional but this takes the cake....

forgive me, they clinched on the 25th, season ended on 27th (28th was that makeup game to get real technical)

Like the Isles and Sens, they made it in by the skin of their teeth, calling them a lock is still ridiculous, and I sleep fine at night, thank you.

forgive me, they clinched on the 25th, season ended on 27th (28th was that makeup game to get real technical)

Like the Isles and Sens, they made it in by the skin of their teeth, calling them a lock is still ridiculous, and I sleep fine at night, thank you.

They are at worst the 4th best team in the new division. So again, whatever lies you have to tell yourself to help you sleep at night, please be my guest.

Red_Man

When are they suppose to reveal the division names? I'll just stick with Northbeast anyways.

Top Bottom