• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If Price plays like he did the past two years this season, then I'll admit to him not being able to hit the potential he has.

Socreges

Banned
Almost every GM and reputable person in hockey disagrees with you.
Translation: Bergevin and Craig Button.

I'm sure some reputable people believe(d at some point) that Price could be #1, but reputable people say hyperbolic things all the time, particularly if there's a camera in front of them.

If we're going to say Price could be the #1 goalie in the league, let's extend that to another 25 active goalies as is necessary and make the claim irrelevant.

Cake Boss

Banned
You mean stats from the past two seasons that I've already said would be hfboard levels of dumb to base his development on? Right, continue on while people who have spent their whole lives in hockey say otherwise.

The stats are dumb because they don't agree with you?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I am not the one saying Anderson is a top 5 goalie in the league nor has a chance to be a #1 if he refines his game.

Maybe 3 years ago Price was a top 5 in the league but he hasnt shown it in the last 2 seasons. He is still young though and can get his game back on track, but the last 2 years he has been meh.

I got you, this season is definitely the make it or break it year for Price with Montreal. It's not going to settle what his actual ceiling is, or whether he can go to another city and dominate, but he only has so much time left before we can stop using the potential excuse.

Red_Man

The stats are dumb because they don't agree with you?
Basing a goalies potential on his past two seasons where one was shortened an one was one of the worst season for a team in their history is pretty stupid. Lots of goalies struggled last year, but keep on fighting the good fight, it's funny seeing how you like to compare Lehner's accolades to Price's as proof of his worth.

Price is good-great but he's not winning any Vezinas
Just like Subban wasn't going to ever win any Norris'? Price was already robbed of a Vezina nomination a few years back.

Price has talent, no one disagrees with that, but he's not very consistent and clearly has holes in his games that needs to work on. I see him as someone who would either turn into an elite goaltender, or a Fleury. Unless he's able to mold that raw talent into something consistently usable, he won't be a top 5 goaltender.

Price is also still extremely young for a goaltender, and you can't say for certain where his development will take him yet.

Red_Man

Price has talent, no one disagrees with that, but he's not very consistent and clearly has holes in his games that needs to work on. I see him as someone who would either turn into an elite goaltender, or a Fleury.
Pretty much, this is why this season he needs to turn it on and prove it, if he falters again this season then I'll agree he's not up there and probably will never be.

Cake Boss

Banned
Basing a goalies potential on his past two seasons where one was shortened an one was one of the worst season for a team in their history is pretty stupid. Lots of goalies struggled last year, but keep on fighting the good fight, it's funny seeing how you like to compare Lehner's accolades to Price's as proof of his worth.

lol which goalies struggled last year because it was a short season? his play doesnt count because it was a shortened season? what kind of excuse is that, its even worse when hes posting those stats and the team he is playing behind finished 2nd in the East. So when the team sucked the year before that it wasnt his fault, but when they are good last season, its because it was a short season? Ok there chief.

Yeah I compared Lehner's accolades to Price WHEN HE USED TO BE A TOP 5 GOALIE, because he used to be a goalie you want your prospect to compare to, but the last 2 seasons he has declined. He is not a top 5 goalie anymore, he has top potential, but he hasnt shown it lately, he still has time though.

Pretty much, this is why this season he needs to turn it on and prove it, if he falters again this season then I'll agree he's not up there and probably will never be.
He reminds me a lot of Edler. They're both players will the tools to be elite players and absolutely dominate, and once in a while, you see them do that, but they're wholly inconsistent, and there's just something in their head that isn't clicking for them most of the time. It's extremely frustrating.

yyzjohn

Banned
lol which goalies struggled last year because it was a short season? his play doesnt count because it was a shortened season? what kind of excuse is that, its even worse when hes posting those stats and the team he is playing behind finished 2nd in the East. So when the team sucked the year before that it wasnt his fault, but when they are good last season, its because it was a short season? Ok there chief.

Yeah I compared Lehner's accolades to Price WHEN HE USED TO BE A TOP 5 GOALIE, because he used to be a goalie you want your prospect to compare to, but the last 2 seasons he has declined. He is not a top 5 goalie anymore, he has top potential, but he hasnt shown it lately, he still has time though.

Lots of bolding and caps. I blame it on the lingering affect of Alfredsson bolting.

yyzjohn

Banned
Cake Boss has a point though. You can't use "lol worst team ever in front of him" and then "lol shortened season" to explain two crappy seasons. With the "worst defense" excuse it means every goalie who has ever played on the Leafs is probably amazing. Reimer would post .975 save % on a great defensive team!!

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I never realized what a ridiculous pedestal some folks have the Rangers D-Men on. They're an average group that gets a huge boost from having one of the world's best between the pipes. But if people gonna get butthurt, by all means nail me to the cross.

Cake Boss has a point though. You can't use "lol worst team ever in front of him" and then "lol shortened season" to explain two crappy seasons. With the "worst defense" excuse it means every goalie who has ever played on the Leafs is probably amazing. Reimer would post .975 save % on a great defensive team!!

I'm pretty sure the Leafs's defense two years ago was incredibly better than the Habs one.

Franson, Gunnarson, Phaneuf, Schenn, Gardiner, Liles, Komisarek...

vs.

Campoli, Diaz, Gill, Gorges, Kaberle, Spacek, St-Denis, Subban, Weber, Yemelin...

Subban and Yemelin were on their first years, Spacek and Kaberle were arguably on their last ones...

Red_Man

Cake_Boss needs to calm down
That's standard Cake Boss posting.

I am just trying to get through his head that hes not a top5goalie anymore.

Sorry if it looked like I was yelling or some shit.
He hasn't played like it the last two seasons but he's still considered one of the top 5.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=662735

Pierre McGuire, Brian Burke, numerous scouts, etc have all claimed he's one of the best even this year. Hell he got top Vezina votes in the East by Bob Mackenzie's polling this season even though he shouldn't have. There's more quotes that I don't feel like spending 2 hours searching for and I don't copy and save them to a document titled "Price rullezz!11!".

Why not? You could have put Quick in net on the 2012 Habs team and his stats would have shit the bed, Quick, Lehtoen, Rinne, Luongo, Smith, etc all had worse seasons this past year. If you don't think a lockout and not playing doesn't affect a goalie then I don't know what to say.

Solo

Price isn't elite. He has the skills to be, but he isn't there. I don't think anyone who has watched him the past 2 seasons could say with a straight face that he is elite. His 2010-2011 season put him on the cusp of it, but he's had 2 straight sub-par seasons.

yyzjohn

Banned
I'm pretty sure the Leafs's defense two years ago was incredibly better than the Habs one.

Franson, Gunnarson, Phaneuf, Schenn, Gardiner, Liles, Komisarek...

vs.

Campoli, Diaz, Gill, Gorges, Kaberle, Spacek, St-Denis, Subban, Weber, Yemelin...

Subban and Yemelin were on their first years, Spacek and Kaberle were arguably on their last ones...

Two years ago Franson was in and out, Komisarek played over half the season and Ron Wilson the non defensive coach was around. We also had the worst penalty killing in the history of hockey. Oh and we had the pylon slow-foot Schenn.

Red_Man

Diaz was also in his first season in the NHL that year FJ.

Price hasn't played elite these last two years, but I'm not going to write him off as not one of the top goaltenders until after this season if he shits the bed.

Didn't see it getting posted :

Evolution of Luongo's smile...

luongo.jpg

calder

Didn't see it getting posted :

Evolution of Luongo's smile...

luongo.jpg

Lol, after last years "well at least this stupid situation is almost over, they'll be trading me soon so may as well be a good soldier for a few months. I'll be shocked if I'm not in Florida for Christmas" grin I can't wait for next season. Hopefully he's just flipping off the camera.

Who was the last Ranger to be nominated for the Norris? Leetch?

Which has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

The grasping at straws is quite funny though.

I never realized what a ridiculous pedestal some folks have the Rangers D-Men on. They're an average group that gets a huge boost from having one of the world's best between the pipes. But if people gonna get butthurt, by all means nail me to the cross.

Translation: Nobody agrees with me and I look like an idiot.

Top Bottom