• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
TSN has the full shootout from the US / Finland game for those that missed it:

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/929918/clip/0

Gally's second move was even more beautiful.

What gets me about the 'system wars' is how people have taken sides before they even know what both consoles are all about. I was a PS2 guy last gen, a 360 guy this gen, and I have no idea which I'll own (down the road) next gen.
This is probably what irks me the most, there's 50 page threads about people fighting for a side when they know nothing about either console. Seems really childish.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This is probably what irks me the most, there's 50 page threads about people fighting for a side when they know nothing about either console. Seems really childish.

On the bright side, we get amazing gifs like this:

ibyj42JfSHsGh4.gif

From the one and only Sunhi.

Sweden scored on their first shot of the game... shots are like 8-1. Dayum.

Smiley90

Henrik scores on the PP, again. Fuck, why couldn't they run a decent powerplay for the Canucks.

That's I believe 6 powerplay-points in 3 games for the Sedins.

Montresor

Yep AGally's second shootout move was awesome. I loved his reaction too. That's nice for USA.

Between Switzerland and Sweden I don't care who wins.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly, I'm referring to the people whos live are literally changed because of shit like that, I was lurking then, and that was probably one of the best moments on gaf, especially for whoever made the ytmnd page of the guy talking about how Sony fucked Japan and all that stuff :lol

Yeah, that's pretty funny. I'm definitely an Xbox guy, but I don't care enough to go mental on the gaming side. Also phone wars are almost as bad.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
What if the new Xbox ends up being significantly inferior to the PS4 in some important ways? You wouldn't get a PS4 instead?

I already play on consoles basically exclusively so technically I'm already using an inferior system. There a couple of PS3 exclusives I like, but not enough to trump the Xbox exclusives I like. I think the power of both consoles will be close anyways.

Smiley90

I'm going into the next generation firmly pro-xbox, but if there's some significant advantage of the PS4 (e.g. Xbox live STILL costs, ps4 is a lot cheaper (lol won't happen) or some crazy exlusive rush), I might switch. Don't think that'll happen though.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I went 360 over PS3 this gen because I've never owned a Sony console and don't like their controllers, it helped that 360 was getting the best versions of every game. I only ever bought one 3 month Gold card for it though, so I never really played anything online.

I'm not sure what I'll do next. I do a pretty good job ignoring "AAA" games, so I'm not tempted to buy a PS4 yet, and have no attachment to the Halo's and other Xbox franchises. Hopefully the PC continues to receive most games, stupid EA.

Smiley90

I'd be blown away if Microsoft stops charging for Live.

There's just no more excuse for them charging. I mean, I understood when it first started out to charge for proper infrastructure and ad-free online gaming. But now there's ads EVERYWHERE and it's comparatively simple to run stable online gaming. At this point it's just milking customers for something they really should be providing for free. Or at least make non-gaming things free (e.g. why do I need gold to use Netflix, that I'm ALREADY paying for.)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Microsoft charging for live is dumb, but I've always found it hilarious that people who spend thousands on games every year bitch and moan about $60 or w/e it is. The quality of the service is top notch as well, sucks they charge but it's not a big deal imo.

Smiley90

Aaaand we're done here. Oh well. Still the biggest achievement in our hockey history. I'm proud. Sedins were too good...

pringles

Wooo Gold!! Didn't expect that after the shitty start to the tournament, but the Sedins came in and things fell into place.

Impressive tournament by the Swiss, but you guys would've needed a better goalie and maybe a Damien Brunner on offense to really threaten sweden in the final. Still gotta be awesome for swiss hockey to get the silver.

Smiley90

Can't wait for Switzerland to repeat this performance at Sochi. ;)

We beat Canada in 2006, we can do it again! (probably not) I'll be okay with just making the Quarter finals at the Olympics, that's been about as good as we would do. Semis would be a HUGE achievement, but not sure we can do that. We'll see.

Wooo Gold!! Didn't expect that after the shitty start to the tournament, but the Sedins came in and things fell into place.

Impressive tournament by the Swiss, but you guys would've needed a better goalie and maybe a Damien Brunner on offense to really threaten sweden in the final. Still gotta be awesome for swiss hockey to get the silver.

Yeah, the Sedins definitely gave you guys the edge, not just on the powerplay. Plus, you were able to keep up with the speed, which was our biggest weapon in other games. Oh well, congratz. :p At the Olympics we'll have Hiller, so that will definitely be an improvement.

Marvie_3

Banned
I went 360 over PS3 this gen because I've never owned a Sony console and don't like their controllers, it helped that 360 was getting the best versions of every game. I only ever bought one 3 month Gold card for it though, so I never really played anything online.

I'm not sure what I'll do next. I do a pretty good job ignoring "AAA" games, so I'm not tempted to buy a PS4 yet, and have no attachment to the Halo's and other Xbox franchises. Hopefully the PC continues to receive most games, stupid EA.

This is the biggest reason why I am not a playstation guy. The dual shock controllers are flat out awful and the new controller for PS4 doesn't look like it's going to fix any of my complaints.

Smiley90

For what it's worth, Roman Josi won MVP of the tournament, so... Uh... Congratz Nashville I suppose?

Also, the Xbox360 controllers are the best controllers in existence. They're perfect. I hope they don't change them at all for next gen. Or if so, then only the middle part, but not the button/stick-layout and/or shape.

This is the biggest reason why I am not a playstation guy. The dual shock controllers are flat out awful and the new controller for PS4 doesn't look like it's going to fix any of my complaints.
I'm the exact opposite. Maybe because I like to play flight games the DS is as good as gets making yaw, pitch, roll, and thrust easy to use. Never likes the box controller.

Lawd MacKinnon is playing like a man on fire. Not on the scoresheet yet but has rung iron 3 times.

His speed just breaks open d-men before they can turn around. Kid is unreal.

Quick

Banned
Our beat writer is saying Roy is being talked to for the coaching position. Honestly not sure how I feel about it.

I got the alert on my phone, lol.

He seems like the easy choice, but I'm sure there's better choices. Tippett's contract is done with Phoenix this off-season, and he said (I think) he won't commit until the situation with Phoenix is resolved. I can see the Avs pry him away from the Yotes.

I got the alert on my phone, lol.

He seems like the easy choice, but I'm sure there's better choices. Tippett's contract is done with Phoenix this off-season, and he said (I think) he won't commit until the situation with Phoenix is resolved. I can see the Avs pry him away from the Yotes.

I'd prefer Tippet tbh. I think the avs will go with the nostalgic thing though, Sakic-Roy will save the avs yet again etc. We like feel good stories over here, the fuck is winning?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still not sold on Roy's ability to coach adults, and I don't think he's had to coach a bad team in the Q yet.

Socreges

Banned
Someone was telling me tonight that Vigneault didn't want to put Schneider in over Luongo, but there was "meddling" from above, either by Gillis or Aquilini. Anyone know anything about this? Sounds like a rumour that anyone could start.

TUSR

Banned
Someone was telling me tonight that Vigneault didn't want to put Schneider in over Luongo, but there was "meddling" from above, either by Gillis or Aquilini. Anyone know anything about this? Sounds like a rumour that anyone could start.

well its not THAT far fetched, attempting to dispel goalie controversy rumors wouldn't be a bad thing.

i havent heard a single thing close to being 'official' about this rumor though

well its not THAT far fetched, attempting to dispel goalie controversy rumors wouldn't be a bad thing.

i havent heard a single thing close to being 'official' about this rumor though

AV would have to be very afraid to lose his job to accept to let go of his authority like that. I guess that him being afraid to lose his job is pretty likely, but I still think that it is highly unlikely.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Darren Dietz was player of the game last night in the Blades/Moosehead game. Looking like another solid 5th rounder by Timmins.

AV would have to be very afraid to lose his job to accept to let go of his authority like that. I guess that him being afraid to lose his job is pretty likely, but I still think that it is highly unlikely.

I heard on the radio - 1040 I think - that it was 100% AV's decision. And when I ask you has the radio ever been wrong?

Heretic

I think he played it perfectly, tbh. He gave both goalies a shot and neither played better or worse than the other. Neither goalie was devalued.

Or you can say that Luongo played better than Schneider because of how the team plays in front of him.

The outcome of the series didn't look like it would have changed.

Curufinwe

Eric Gustafsson was not on the ice for a single opposition even strength goal in the whole tournament despite leading Sweden with 23:59 average ice time per game.

Eric Gustafsson was not on the ice for a single opposition even strength goal in the whole tournament despite leading Sweden with 23:59 average ice time per game.

Once Edler was out, he was the #1 D, right?

Injuries at the end of this eason and this WC run have done wonders for him. Very excited to see him out there next year.

Curufinwe

I think so. Hopefully he can take on some of the puck moving duties that Coburn struggled so terribly with this season.

Timonen Schenn
Gustafsson Coburn
Mezaros Grossmann

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if this is old, but Grabbo admitted to biting Patches, maybe that's why he was awful most of the year. Grabbo infected him.

Top Bottom