• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The negativity on the gaming side is more than I have ever seen. The haters are drowning the "damage control" people. All the mixed messages by MS definitely doesn't help. Still think they haven't shown enough at either presser. Luckily E3 is almost here to reveal a lot more games. Games will be good on both consoles. 3rd party games I imagine will be very close in comparison with Sony having an edge in 1st quality.

edit: Also, GAF hating on Alice Eve's boobs in Star Trek makes me sad.

Montresor

Ooh boy, that Xbox One. Here's what I think:

Positives:

Blazing fast OS
Navigate the OS with voice and gestures
OS has multi-tasking and snap-in (the achievement whore in me likes the idea of playing Alan Wake 2 and snapping IE in on the side for a collectibles guide)
Acts as a cable box PVR
Can also record and edit video game play
Forza at launch
New IP confirmed from Remedy
15 new exclusives confirmed for first year
New d-pad perfects the 360 controller
Can use external HDDs

Negatives:

No used games (each game is tied one console)
Gotta be online once every 24 hours
Not as powerful as PS4
Still have to pay for XBL gold
Small focus on games in the conference
Forced Kinect might affect game controls (speculation)
Apparently no Live TV outside of the US (this is a game-breaker)

So a lot of negatives but still a lot of positives IMO. Those negatives are something else though lol. I think I will take Smiley's approach and wait until E3.

Cake Boss

Banned
Yeah the OS was easily the most impressive thing about it, looked sleek as hell and very quick, it made the other 2 OSes look like a decade old.

I still miss the blades :(

Merguson

Banned
Dallas Eakins is now free to talk to any teams regarding a NHL coaching job. He wasn't allowed to do in his 1st year. Should be interesting to see if any teams have interest.

Curufinwe

Voracek is apparently uninjured after crashing his Ferrari into a truck in Kladno, Czech Republic.

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/...not-injured-after-crashing-ferrari-in-kladno/
http://the700level.com/flyers/scary-photos-jake-voracek-crashes-ferrari-in-czech-republic/

vorch-car3.jpg

Erdrick

Mike Halford ‏@HalfordPHT 2m
Report: Burmistrov wants out of Winnipeg http://wp.me/p14QU5-8MwZ

His play was very inconsistent over the 2 years that I have watched him play here. He also has been in Noel's doghouse for most of last season, as he is very stubborn and refuses to adapt. He was rushed way too early for the NHL and it shows with his attitude often. I forget what game it was last year but probably during the end of March with the losing streak that basically killed their playoff chances, there was a game where the Jets were down like... 6-0 or something. (Or at least it felt like that... Could have been the 2 back to back Capitals games.) Burmistrov was shown on the bench, laughing and grinning. When you are pissing your season away and losing very badly, no one should be *that* happy.

He's been a very frustrating player to watch, as he is very talented but he just does not seem to be able to mesh his talent with actual in-game situations as much as I'd like him to. He was one of the few players during the lockout on the team who was assigned to St. Johns to play in the AHL and even there he did not produce much... I just don't really know why he has not been able to do more so far in the NHL. It would suck to lose him, as he is a fan-favourite. Of course, he was benched for a string of games this year, so I'm sure he was unhappy about that, just as much as I am sure Claude Noel was unhappy with Burmistrov's overall play that lead to said benching.

Funny, since I just read some thread last night on HF Boards about him being happy that he stayed here after the Trade Deadline passed a few months ago.

Time will tell what will happen.

Quick

Banned
Dallas Eakins is now free to talk to any teams regarding a NHL coaching job. He wasn't allowed to do in his 1st year. Should be interesting to see if any teams have interest.

I was hoping he'd be promoted to the Leafs when Wilson was fired, since he seemed like the natural choice and has great rapport with pretty much half the team right now, considering they came from the AHL under his tutelage.

I actually do hope he gets a chance to coach an NHL team, seeing as the Leafs won't be having a coaching change anytime soon.

Curufinwe

I was hoping he'd be promoted to the Leafs when Wilson was fired, since he seemed like the natural choice and has great rapport with pretty much half the team right now, considering they came from the AHL under his tutelage.

I actually do hope he gets a chance to coach an NHL team, seeing as the Leafs won't be having a coaching change anytime soon.

He should be the new coach in Philly.

NHL scouts re-rank the 2012 draft.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/50530-NHL-scouts-rerank-2012-NHL-draft.html

1. Nail Yakupov, RW (actually taken 1st by Edmonton)
2. Alex Galchenyuk, C (taken 3rd by Montreal)
3. Ryan Murray, D (taken 2nd by Columbus)
4. Jacob Trouba, D (taken 9th by Winnipeg)
5. Hampus Lindholm, D (taken 6th by Anaheim)
6. Mikhail Grigorenko, C (taken 12th by Buffalo)
7. Morgan Rielly, D (taken 5th by Toronto)
8. Filip Forsberg, RW (taken 11th by Washington)
9. Griffin Reinhart, D (taken 4th by NY Islanders)
10. Andrey Vasilevski, G (taken 19th by Tampa Bay)
11. Teuvo Teravainen, C (taken 18th by Chicago)
12. Scott Laughton, C (taken 20th by Philadelphia)
13. Tomas Hertl, C (taken 17th by San Jose)
14. Olli Maatta, D (taken 22nd by Pittsburgh)
15. Derrick Pouliot, D (taken 8th by Pittsburgh)
16. Malcolm Subban, G (taken 24th by Boston)
17. Mathew Dumba, D (taken 7th by Minnesota)
18. Zemgus Girgensons, C (taken 14th by Buffalo)
19. Radek Faksa, C (taken 13th by Dallas)
20. Tom Wilson, RW (taken 16th by Washington)
21. Stefan Matteau, C (taken 29th by New Jersey)
22. Mike Matheson, D (taken 23rd by Florida)
23. Oscar Dansk, G (taken 31st by Columbus)
24. Henrik Samuelsson, C (taken 27th by Phoenix)
25. Mark Jankowski, C (taken 21st by Calgary)

Montresor

Yeah the OS was easily the most impressive thing about it, looked sleek as hell and very quick, it made the other 2 OSes look like a decade old.

I still miss the blades :(

Thanks for this post. I was beginning to think I was crazy, hahaha. I loved the look of the OS and I'm pretty stoked about the system, despite all the bad news.

I'll have to change my avatar soon though. I wanna get rid of the tacky Xbox stamp and Komarov might not even be a Leaf anymore. =/

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
MacKinnon so far is the Mem Cup MVP. I just hope he doesn't force the Avs to draft him.
Scouts and teams don't change their opinions on prospects over a few games, and rarely over a tournament such as this. I'd bet a lot of money on Colorado taking Jones.

He should be the new coach in Philly.

NHL scouts re-rank the 2012 draft.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/50530-NHL-scouts-rerank-2012-NHL-draft.html
Obviously hometown bias, but if Gally hadn't missed the entire year prior to the draft, I don't doubt he would have went 1st.

Red_Man

How many games did he play? Dumba fell quite a bit, and it's easy to see why Trouba has climbed so high. Ever since the WJ it's been obvious he is a level above, Jets really have a gem in him.

Samyy

14 had 3 points and was a -1

Not sure if thats counting the playoff games he got. Eakins used him a shit ton though he was out there more then anyone else so I guess he played well.

He needs to go back to junior, dominate, have a big WJC and see if he sticks with the club next year.

Red_Man

Seeing as it took the whole season for Carlyle to accept Gardiner as an actual player, I don't expect to see Rielly in TO until 2020.

Samyy

Seeing as it took the whole season for Carlyle to accept Gardiner as an actual player, I don't expect to see Rielly in TO until 2020.

It depends..
If we can add some pieces in the back end I think Carlyle will be better able to accept having a rookie on D. Gardiner was coming off a concussion and playing mehish, I dont know.

Scouts and teams don't change their opinions on prospects over a few games, and rarely over a tournament such as this. I'd bet a lot of money on Colorado taking Jones.

The Avs will take MacKinnon given their problems with 2 of their 3 centres: O'Reilly is a sour bastard and is going to leave next year, and Stastny has completely failed to live up to expectations.

Red_Man

Yzerman will draft him. It's feeling like a foregone conclusion at this point.
TB's head scout on his tourney :

"Was maybe the most dominant performance I've seen at any U18 or [U20] tournament."

:( man if they do pass on Druin..... I just dunno....

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
How many games did he play? Dumba fell quite a bit, and it's easy to see why Trouba has climbed so high. Ever since the WJ it's been obvious he is a level above, Jets really have a gem in him.

Like I said before, Timmins was really high on Trouba going into the draft and some people were worried we'd take him 3rd overall. I wonder if Yak/Gally went 1-2, if Montreal would have taken Trouba.

Ceci should be on there, certainly ahead of Jankowski.

Red_Man

Like I said before, Timmins was really high on Trouba going into the draft and some people were worried we'd take him 3rd overall. I wonder if Yak/Gally went 1-2, if Montreal would have taken Trouba.
There were reports that if Gally was gone Timmins would have went with Teravienen =/

ZeroGravity

TB's head scout on his tourney :

"Was maybe the most dominant performance I've seen at any U18 or [U20] tournament."

:( man if they do pass on Druin..... I just dunno....
Yzerman will probably be out of a job before he comes over from the KHL.

Our late round drafting is excellent. First round picks have been huge gambles, none of which have paid off yet. Vasilevski looks like the only one close to a sure thing.

Merguson

Banned
So Vancouver Sun reporter is saying that Alain Vigneault will be fired within the next few hours.

EDIT: TVA Sports say that assistant coaches will be gone as well.

Cake Boss

Banned
Yzerman will probably be out of a job before he comes over from the KHL.

Our late round drafting is excellent. First round picks have been huge gambles, none of which have paid off yet. Vasilevski looks like the only one close to a sure thing.

I read yesterday that hes been contacted mostly by Carolina and Tampa. And that he plans on going to NA next season.

calder

His play was very inconsistent over the 2 years that I have watched him play here. He also has been in Noel's doghouse for most of last season, as he is very stubborn and refuses to adapt.
Funny, since I just read some thread last night on HF Boards about him being happy that he stayed here after the Trade Deadline passed a few months ago.

Time will tell what will happen.

Yeah pretty much. It was certainly rumoured that the Jets were shopping him at the deadline, and no one is remotely surprised he wants out... and really no one is likely to be devastated if he goes. The problem of course is he's still young enough he could turn into a top line two way player who gets 20-25 goals a year, but he's not going to get that chance here. "Inconsistent" is certainly an accurate word for him. The writing was on the wall certainly by the time late in the year when he was a healthy scratch 4 games in a row when they needed wins badly. Hopefully the Jets can get close to decent value for him, because I'm sure he'd develop on a better team with a lesser role for a while.

"Report" is a bit of a stretch for something Gary Lawless wrote.

*fast nodding*

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So Vancouver Sun reporter is saying that Alain Vigneault will be fired within the next few hours.

EDIT: TVA Sports say that assistant coaches will be gone as well.

Mhmmmmmmm will wait with proper excitement until cofirmed.

Red_Man

A Montreal radio guy is saying that Vancouver is waiting to see what happens with Tippet in Phoenix, but I haven't seen that reported anywhere.

Top Bottom