• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Currently considering spending $1500+ on a gaming rig. I need a new laptop/PC and thought if I was going to do it, I'd do it right.

I'm going to regret this. In too deep now, though.

What are you guys running?

Only advice I'd give you is if you're gonna build and buy it piece by piece, seriously look at the deals a lot of places in Vancouver give you. There are a ton of part shops in Van and a good portion of them give decent discounts if you buy with cash. It is something I seriously recommend to every one of my friends.

Socreges

Banned
Only advice I'd give you is if you're gonna build and buy it piece by piece, seriously look at the deals a lot of places in Vancouver give you. There are a ton of part shops in Van and a good portion of them give decent discounts if you buy with cash. It is something I seriously recommend to every one of my friends.
Dude, I'm a high-end PC gamer now. I don't look for deals. I look for the best, at whatever price.

p1sRLuP.gif

What are these places you speak of?

Dude, I'm a high-end PC gamer now. I don't look for deals. I look for the best, at whatever price.

p1sRLuP.gif

Atic on broadway near main (I think Ontario?) is my go to place, though they are bunch of elitist pricks, just go in knowing what you want and speak to no one.

Currently considering spending $1500+ on a gaming rig. I need a new laptop/PC and thought if I was going to do it, I'd do it right.

16 gigs DDR3 RAM
670 GTX Geforce Graphics Card
Intel i5-3570K 3.40 GHz CPU
128GB Corsair SSD
1 TB WD Black HDD
ASUS P8Z77-V LK Motherboard
CPU fan, optical disc, etc.....
Built it at the end of last year.

All running on Windows 8 (seriously, Windows 8 haters be screwed, have classic shell on and I never visit the metro side and I get all of the great performance upgrades). Computer runs like a charm.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Desi and I are both part of the Asus G74 gaming laptop master race.

Socreges

Banned
16 gigs DDR3 RAM
128GB Corsair SSD
1 TB WD Black HDD

All running on Windows 8 (seriously, Windows 8 haters be screwed, have classic shell on and I never visit the metro side and I get all of the great performance upgrades). Computer runs like a charm.
That's very similar to what I'm looking at right now. Except less memory and probably a better card. How much did you spend after taxes/shipping?

Desi and I are both part of the Asus G74 gaming laptop master race.
About $2000 after taxes? I'd probably just get an equivalent desktop PC for gaming and a laptop for word processing, browsing, etc. :p That's pretty sweet, though.

fallout

1500 is a looot for a gaming rig. I don't think I've ever spent more than 500, excluding monitor(s). Granted, I've been frankensteining it for awhile now ... I've still got the same case from like a decade ago.

4 GB DDR3 RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3 GHz
GTX 560

It's not a lot, but it runs most stuff just fine. I haven't tried throwing anything at it like Bioshock Infinite, mind you.

That's very similar to what I'm looking at right now. Except less memory and probably a better card. How much did you spend after taxes/shipping?

About $2000 after taxes? I'd probably just get an equivalent desktop PC for gaming and a laptop for word processing, browsing, etc. :p That's pretty sweet, though.

It was close to 1200 I want to say without a monitor, though that price is including the case, sound card, power supply, wireless card etc....

Razorskin

----- ------
AMD FX 8350
AMD Radeon 7850
8 GB DDR3
2 TB HDD 7200rpm

16 gigs DDR3 RAM
128GB Corsair SSD
1 TB WD Black HDD

Fuck man why all the ram

And yeah the only time I go into metro is to search something since its quick.

Smiley90

I think I paid like 1500/1600 at NCIX after taxes, yeah. I don't own a desktop PC, mainly because my room doesn't have space for a desk and I game in my bed. :p

I used to build my own PC's too, waaaaaay cheaper. Back when I had a desk. :p

You're probably looking at ~1000 for a good one, 1500 for high-end, so you're at a good point with your budget :p

Only $1500? My PC cost $2000+a good $1000 in upgrades since 2008. PC gaming is stupid and so am I.

Socreges

Banned
1500 is a looot for a gaming rig. I don't think I've ever spent more than 500, excluding monitor(s). Granted, I've been frankensteining it for awhile now ... I've still got the same case from like a decade ago
I'm starting from scratch. And included in that price is a very good monitor, Win7, keyboard, mouse, etc. Practically everything.

Only $1500? My PC cost $2000+a good $1000 in upgrades since 2008. PC gaming is stupid and so am I.
Keep telling me stuff like this and I'll probably back down. Which would be great.

AMD FX 8350
AMD Radeon 7850
8 GB DDR3
2 TB HDD 7200rpm

Fuck man why all the ram

And yeah the only time I go into metro is to search something since its quick.

I do some game creation, so I will have Maya, Unity, Photoshop, etc... up and running at once, so I figured I'll go with 16gb to give me enough room for everything and more if I wanted to run other things as well, plus RAM was pretty cheap so the more the better.

Heretic

I'm starting from scratch. And included in that price is a very good monitor, Win7, keyboard, mouse, etc. Practically everything.

Keep telling me stuff like this and I'll probably back down. Which would be great.

Any reason you're not going with Windows 8? I know it gets shit on a lot but under the hood it's a beast and with the update, whenever that is, you'll be able to launch directly into desktop mode.

RC

Banned
I think I paid like 1500/1600 at NCIX after taxes, yeah. I don't own a desktop PC, mainly because my room doesn't have space for a desk and I game in my bed. :p

I used to build my own PC's too, waaaaaay cheaper. Back when I had a desk. :p

You're probably looking at ~1000 for a good one, 1500 for high-end, so you're at a good point with your budget :p

$1500/1600 after taxes? You must have one of the higher end G74's. Mine was around $1300 after taxes.

I built a NAS last year. About a $150 for the processor, motherboard and ram.

Razorskin

----- ------
I do some game creation, so I will have Maya, Unity, Photoshop, etc... up and running at once, so I figured I'll go with 16gb to give me enough room for everything and more if I wanted to run other things as well, plus RAM was pretty cheap so the more the better.

Ah alright, makes sense, good choice.

MutFox

Banned
Hey guys, if you're getting into PC gaming,
remember to price match every item if you're building the PC yourself.

You can probably shave $100-$200 off your purchase.

I'm in Vancouver and usually buy everything from NCIX.
You can price match on their site.

Also, depending on your budget,
you don't have to spend more than $600 to have an awesome gaming rig. ($400 is probably as low as i'd go)

Socreges

Banned
Hey guys, if you're getting into PC gaming,
remember to price match every item if you're building the PC yourself.

You can probably shave $100-$200 off your purchase.

I'm in Vancouver and usually buy everything from NCIX.
You can price match on their site.

Also, depending on your budget,
you don't have to spend more than $600 to have an awesome gaming rig. ($400 is probably as low as i'd go)
Define 'awesome'.

And I didn't know NCIX price matches. Does that include online retail prices, like from Newegg?

Heretic

Top of the art? State of the line? It must be.

Soc, if you haven't already, read and use this thread:

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

I built a 'gaming' PC last year for about $800. I'm sure I could have cut the cost down, but my old PC had all but died and I didn't have the luxury of time.

My "gaming pc" cost me about $600

Yes, if you have 8, 8.1 will be free. I like a lot of the improvements in 8.1 so far.

I thought it was free... Glad it is!

Socreges

Banned

MutFox

Banned
Define 'awesome'.

And I didn't know NCIX price matches. Does that include online retail prices, like from Newegg?

Well, by awesome, it's going to play any of the current games decently. 30-60fps
This is if you don't mind using an AMD CPU and GPU.
Nothing has really pushed PC gaming recently.
Though with the new consoles coming out, that'll probably change.

Oh, and yeah, they'll price match newegg.ca not .com

Usually I'll go on google and type the model# and canada like "ABC123 Canada"
and it'll show prices from a lot of the competition.
Sites to look out for on the google search are pricebat.ca and shopbot.ca
they'll list all the online sites and their prices.

I've only had NCIX say no once,
and that's because it went under their cost.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

p1sRLuP.gif

Tabris?

1500 is about the right range for a gaming PCnl nowadays. Good time since the latest chips just came out a fee weeks ago.

Curufinwe

My PC is six years old now and still has a Core2Duo E6420 running at a pathetic 2.13 GHz. I overclock it in winter if I'm playing something, but its too hot in summer. I still have Fear 3 left to play from last years Steam sale.

ShaneB

My Asus K53TA laptop is still coming along with all the new games :) I'll eventually have to upgrade to keep up and that's when I'll put together a new desktop.

I built my PC for about $650 (no monitor) back in October.

i3-2120 (I could've gone with an AMD for more CPU-intensive games but the i3 outperforms in other areas)
8GB DDR3 RAM (I don't think you need any more than 8 IMO)
500GB HD (I could've gotten a bigger one but externals are so cheap nowadays. I decided to buy a higher-end HD (WD) instead of going with more capacity.)
2GB 7850 (outperforms the 560 Ti and uses less power, which allowed me to go with a cheaper PSU)
450W PSU
Standard case
No CD/DVD drive

Runs everything at max or near-max, 1920x1080. Then again I was upgrading from a 5-year-old laptop with a 8400 M GS so anything would've blown it out of the water.

Smiley90

Pshhh. I was rocking Windows 95 service pack 1 back in the day. With a motherfucking Mwave card. The blue screen was practically my screensaver.

It's debatable whether Windows 95 was actually worse than Millenium or not.

This truly is the darkest timeline.

Top Bottom