• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Socreges

Banned
You said "doesn't Toronto normally get more Saturday games?" or whatever, he asnwered your question and gave a reason for the change.

No need to be a dick about it
No. Let me explain. His posts, in reply to mine, have not answered my question or really even attempted to. I'm just trying to understand his replies. This:

"99% of CBC's regular season games are on Saturday, all this means is the Leafs don't play as much on Saturday nights."

...was just a banal tangent that doesn't address my point. CBC televising more games of certain teams is not a coincidence that's subject to how often a team plays on Saturdays. It's the opposite. And irrespective of mid-week games, CBC still has 25 Saturday night Habs games and 23 Saturday night Leafs games. And apparently this has been the case over the last few seasons.

Just suggested he might be trying to save face because otherwise I don't understand why he'd be making these irrelevant points.

If CBC games are the be-all and end-all of hockey godliness then yes i'm "saving face". I love hearing that Hockey Night in Canada theme song on CBC...oh...
I don't disagree.

Socreges

Banned
Sweden: Sedins, Edler
Canada: Luongo
USA: Kesler, Schneider

Maybe Hamhuis (Canada), Garrison (Canada), or Booth (USA) depending on how well they play.
No chance for Garrison, imo. I do think Hamhuis is underrated. And I'd love for Booth to turn things around, but I just don't see it.

yyzjohn

Banned
No. Let me explain. His posts, in reply to mine, have not answered my question or really even attempted to. I'm just trying to understand his replies. This:

"99% of CBC's regular season games are on Saturday, all this means is the Leafs don't play as much on Saturday nights."

...was just a banal tangent that doesn't address my point. CBC televising more games of certain teams is not a coincidence that's subject to how often a team plays on Saturdays. It's the opposite. And irrespective of mid-week games, CBC still has 25 Saturday night Habs games and 23 Saturday night Leafs games. And apparently this has been the case over the last few seasons.

Just suggested he might be trying to save face because otherwise I don't understand why he'd be making these irrelevant points.

I don't disagree.

You're giving CBC far too much credit in how the NHL schedules games. If you honestly believe that Saturday night ratings for Montreal games on CBC would be higher than for Leafs games on CBC I don't know what to tell you. Truth be told, the CBC would probably want to broadcast ALL 82 Leafs games since the ratings are the highest for that team, but alas they're not allowed to do so.

Alucard

Banned
Time to revert to the trap.

Hockey fans:
id9HtYOVOczl5.gif

Socreges

Banned
How often is he praying nowadays? Maybe he fell in with the wrong crowd.
I'd like to think he's praying more than ever. This season should prove once and for all if God truly does exist.

You're giving CBC far too much credit in how the NHL schedules games. If you honestly believe that Saturday night ratings for Montreal games on CBC would be higher than for Leafs games on CBC I don't know what to tell you. Truth be told, the CBC would probably want to broadcast ALL 82 Leafs games since the ratings are the highest for that team, but alas they're not allowed to do so.
No, obviously the Leafs draw the largest crowd. I just wanted to dispute you suggesting that their broadcast schedule is subject to the whims of which games fall on Saturdays.

yyzjohn

Banned
I'd like to think he's praying more than ever. This season should prove once and for all if God truly does exist.

No, obviously the Leafs draw the largest crowd. I just wanted to dispute you suggesting that their broadcast schedule is subject to the whims of which games fall on Saturdays.

Well it kinda is. It's not as if there's a Leafs game on a Saturday and CBC chooses not to show it in favor of a Habs game. When the Leafs play on Saturday, it's on CBC. The schedule comes down to many factors not least of which is the team itself lobbying for specific games/dates. The Leafs have complained in previous seasons of playing too many back to back games on Friday/Saturday vs. other teams that don't. Having fewer Saturday games can alleviate this. Looks as if the Leafs play back to back 16 times this season which is fairly in line with other teams schedules.

Socreges

Banned
Well it kinda is. It's not as if there's a Leafs game on a Saturday and CBC chooses not to show it in favor of a Habs game. When the Leafs play on Saturday, it's on CBC. The schedule comes down to many factors not least of which is the team itself lobbying for specific games/dates. The Leafs have complained in previous seasons of playing too many back to back games on Friday/Saturday vs. other teams that don't. Having fewer Saturday games can alleviate this. Looks as if the Leafs play back to back 16 times this season which is fairly in line with other teams schedules.
We're talking about the principal cause for the shift here. And it isn't some scheduling anomaly that CBC has taken a backseat to, as you suggest. Here:

Wikipedia said:
Critics of what the show chooses to program allege that the Eastern broadcast in particular favours the Toronto Maple Leafs. Some feel that Toronto games are aired too often across the network, usually to the detriment of the Ottawa Senators, Montreal Canadiens, and Winnipeg Jets, whose fans sometimes do not see a Saturday night game of their teams, even when those teams are playing at home (CBC has English-language exclusivity on Saturday nights, although all Canadiens games air in French on RDS without restriction).

Beginning in 2008, CBC is limited in the number of times it can show each team during the regular-season, so there are likely to be fewer complaints.
HNIC used to have many, many more Leafs games than any other team. During the the 07-08 season (prior to the change), there were 28 Leafs games and 17 Habs games (14 for the Canucks, etc). And that was a jump UP for the Habs who had 13 during the previous season. Leafs dominated for years and people weren't happy about it (except for Leafs fans, of course). Since CBC decided to change its model, including parallel broadcasts (eg, Leafs and Habs playing two separate games, simultaneously, with two separate CBC feeds) there was an immediate and massive boost in Habs (and Sens) playing on Saturdays. CBC meanwhile has had an exclusive deal with the NHL for Saturday evening broadcasts.

Socreges

Banned
Fata1moose said:
I totally forgot about that, couldn't they have forfeited the 1st round pick the year they went to the final? What a mistake.
Gillis, perhaps detecting the Devils' dire situation, generously donated future elite locker room cancer goaltender Cory Schneider.

Where the fuck is Breaking Bad? Wasn't it supposed to be back around July?
Cancelled.

Okay, what the fuck is this season start?

Leafs
Flyers
Cal
Edm
Van
Win
Columbus
Nash
Edm
Ana
San Jose
NYR
Dal
Min
Colorado
St-Louis

Which division are we in again???

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
My dad is coming to visit from Europe but he's stuck in Montreal because of the weather.

This is somehow the Habs' fault.

Fucking Montreal.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
As expected, the NHL botches the naming of divisions.

Would it be that hard to go back to the old names? WOULD IT?

Heretic

Babby plays a game in Anaheim before he plays one in Ottawa.

the fuck NHL?

Second home game for us! I hope he steals the puck from Karlsson and scores on Anderson then rips his Sens sweater off to reveal the Ducks third jersey that he was wearing underneath the whole time! Then the camera pans to Old Man Murray and he's doing the Nicholson nod!

MutFox

Banned
Yeah, Bob Cole isn't as good as he once was,
but he still probably has the best voice out of any NHL commentator.

No one has that style anymore,
and I for one will miss it when he's gone.

Second home game for us! I hope he steals the puck from Karlsson and scores on Anderson then rips his Sens sweater off to reveal the Ducks third jersey that he was wearing underneath the whole time! Then the camera pans to Old Man Murray and he's doing the Nicholson nod!

You still have Baldzlaf and Perry!

Top Bottom