• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Sucks that they just completed that 3 year renovation plan and now might have to move.

Though the idea of a renovated Penn Station and a new building for the Knicks and Rangers actually sounds like a great one. 10 years to get it figured out.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Dave Nonis has a brand new five-year extension.

Great, a good indicator that he won't try to rush anything as he builds this team.

why
He already had another two years to go :lol and he hasn't done anything t(-_-)t

????

I'm really confused at what you think he hasn't done since he was given full control since January?

Or is this more of you just upset he didn't make the moves you wanted hence he's done nothing?

Samyy

Great, a good indicator that he won't try to rush anything as he builds this team.

????

I'm really confused at what you think he hasn't done since he was given full control since January?

Or is this more of you just upset he didn't make the moves you wanted hence he's done nothing?

Hes traded Lombardi and sign Bozie and Clarkson (to a pretty bad contract).
Plus resigned Gunnarson.
Bernier deal was okay too.

Do you think that warrants a 5 year extension? It doesn't really matter but maybe we should see if he can successfully sign Kadr and Franson/ move him for a good return as well as dealing with Kessel and Phaneuf? Just a puzzling situation, not sure why it happened or needed to happen right now.

Kessel and Phaneuf have a year left on their contracts, shouldn't that be his priority over getting himself a new contract? Just don't see why he chose to spend time negotiating a new contract for himself when theres so much work to do and hes currently on a deal anyway.

And he got lucky they made the playoffs, if Burke was still around they would have made the playoffs as well, no significant piece was added/changed since he took over that would have affected the seasons outcome.

If you want to point out a reason for why hes earned a new contract please let me know. The Leafs corporate culture has to be pretty fucking rotten if you can earn a comfy extension for doing barely anything - the new president should have made him really earn an extension, seems like a giant gift for no reason.

Merguson

Banned
It's essentially a contract to allow room to build the type of team that he wants to. If it's a short-term contract, you bet your ass the GM will be thinking about making short-term moves all the time just to save his hide.

I don't really care either way, spend whatever money they want for their front office.

Meh. If the team is awful this year, Nonis and Carlyle will get bounced.

And then the Leafs will hire the recently-canned Mike Gillis, and I will go into the West and diminish.

Socreges

Banned
So I've started playing Company of Heroes.

I have no idea what I'm doing. When I start a new skirmish, what should be my first several steps? Someone please direct me to a good strategy guide or video.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Hes traded Lombardi and sign Bozie and Clarkson (to a pretty bad contract).
Plus resigned Gunnarson.
Bernier deal was okay too.

Also traded for Dave Bolland
Lost Komarov, Kostka, and traded Frattin
Bought out Grabovski

But again as you said he's done "nothing" since he took over.

Do you think that warrants a 5 year extension? It doesn't really matter but maybe we should see if he can successfully sign Kadr and Franson/ move him for a good return as well as dealing with Kessel and Phaneuf? Just a puzzling situation, not sure why it happened or needed to happen right now.

So you want to base if we should re-sign a GM on if he can re-sign restricted free agents? That the deals he gives Kadri and Franson are the tipping point to decide if he needs to be extended or fired?

Kessel and Phaneuf have a year left on their contracts, shouldn't that be his priority over getting himself a new contract? Just don't see why he chose to spend time negotiating a new contract for himself when theres so much work to do and hes currently on a deal anyway.

You're right, the priority should be to work on signing two players under contract for next season. As opposed to working on building the roster for this season. I totally had my priorities wrong there. I forgot that if we don't decide to re-sign or trade them before the end of the summer we lose their rights and they immediately become free agents that we no longer can sign EVER.

Your last sentence pretty much proves you don't like Nonis, which is fine. But don't try to hide it under some weird pretense that "he's done nothing".

And he got lucky they made the playoffs, if Burke was still around they would have made the playoffs as well, no significant piece was added/changed since he took over that would have affected the seasons outcome.

Does that really matter? The Leafs overachieved last year and Nonis seems to realize that hence why he's done a bit of turnover on the team since the end of the season.

If you want to point out a reason for why hes earned a new contract please let me know. The Leafs corporate culture has to be pretty fucking rotten if you can earn a comfy extension for doing barely anything - the new president should have made him really earn an extension, seems like a giant gift for no reason.

It's fine for you to just come right out and say you don't like Nonis, that's fine. Don't try to hide it behind some flimsy excuses.

But based on the start of free agency til now it seems nothing will really satisfy you.

You were angry with pretty much all the moves he did but at the same time seemed to be upset if he didn't make any moves at all.

Sibylus

Banned
So I've started playing Company of Heroes.

I have no idea what I'm doing. When I start a new skirmish, what should be my first several steps? Someone please direct me to a good strategy guide or video.
Capturing sectors = resources, you have to get out on the map immediately and start getting income. Map control is life and death. I'm not sure how competitively viable rushing more worker units is initially, but I like to do it because it frees me up to start capping as soon as the game starts.

Samyy

Also traded for Dave Bolland
Lost Komarov, Kostka, and traded Frattin
Bought out Grabovski

But again as you said he's done "nothing" since he took over.

So you want to base if we should re-sign a GM on if he can re-sign restricted free agents? That the deals he gives Kadri and Franson are the tipping point to decide if he needs to be extended or fired?

You're right, the priority should be to work on signing two players under contract for next season. As opposed to working on building the roster for this season. I totally had my priorities wrong there. I forgot that if we don't decide to re-sign or trade them before the end of the summer we lose their rights and they immediately become free agents that we no longer can sign EVER.

Your last sentence pretty much proves you don't like Nonis, which is fine. But don't try to hide it under some weird pretense that "he's done nothing".

Does that really matter? The Leafs overachieved last year and Nonis seems to realize that hence why he's done a bit of turnover on the team since the end of the season.

It's fine for you to just come right out and say you don't like Nonis, that's fine. Don't try to hide it behind some flimsy excuses.

But based on the start of free agency til now it seems nothing will really satisfy you.

You were angry with pretty much all the moves he did but at the same time seemed to be upset if he didn't make any moves at all.

I think everyone in this thread would rather have 9.5mil in cap space then have it locked into long term deals with 2 third line players in Clarkson and Bozak. I would have been very happy if he didn't make any moves actually, especially if they are like those.

And in terms of dealing with our RFA's/ upcoming UFAs of course thats a fucking big deal, if he can't sign them its a big fucking issue especially if deals like Bozaks or Clarksons are limiting our ability to sign key young players. Then you also need to see what type of return he could get from them.

Kessel and Phaneuf are the team, of course he should be talking to them now. If it becomes apparent they don't want to fucking be here we want to maximize our return or address their issues. Theres nothing wrong with signing them to extensions this off season, rather that then sit with our asses clenched waiting to hear anything as we approach the end of the season and Kessels still not signed.

Sorry I haven't seen him do any move that significantly helps our roster next season outside of the Bernier trade but your fucking blind if you think anything he has done warrants a hefty extension when hes already on a two year deal.

Oh yea Bolland, another third line centre, now we have 4 of them (Bolland/Bozak/McClement/Corlborne). Oh and our only legit top six center still hasn't been signed, but I'm sure he'll get that done soon enough.

What am I supposed to see that I'm happy about? Bernier is his best deal and we still don't know if that was a necessary move. Our number one issue has still not been addressed.

Quick

Banned
The Phaneuf trade rumors at least make sense, because he was acquired to be a #1. Something Phaneuf isn't.

And he is a #1 defenceman.

He doesn't go for that big hit as much anymore, but I'd rather he stick to his defensive game, rather than try to deck someone out and give up positioning.

His mistakes are glaring (his fuck-up in the playoffs was tremendous), but that really comes with the territory. He's still solid, otherwise.

Socreges

Banned
Capturing sectors = resources, you have to get out on the map immediately and start getting income. Map control is life and death. I'm not sure how competitively viable rushing more worker units is initially, but I like to do it because it frees me up to start capping as soon as the game starts.
By this you mean you get all your units built early so you can focus on capturing points with them? Only problem I've seen with that is resource limitations reducing unit spamming.

Thanks Bo

Sibylus

Banned
By this you mean you get all your units built early so you can focus on capturing points with them? Only problem I've seen with that is resource limitations reducing unit spamming.

Thanks Bo
Yeah, basically get a lot of lower-level infantry out early to secure the points (and thus resources) you need. Spending too much time dicking around waiting for "omg tanks" will more often than not backfire hilariously. Tanks after you've built stuff that come before them.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I think everyone in this thread would rather have 9.5mil in cap space then have it locked into long term deals with 2 third line players in Clarkson and Bozak. I would have been very happy if he didn't make any moves actually, especially if they are like those.

And in terms of dealing with our RFA's/ upcoming UFAs of course thats a fucking big deal, if he can't sign them its a big fucking issue especially if deals like Bozaks or Clarksons are limiting our ability to sign key young players. Then you also need to see what type of return he could get from them.

Kessel and Phaneuf are the team, of course he should be talking to them now. If it becomes apparent they don't want to fucking be here we want to maximize our return or address their issues. Theres nothing wrong with signing them to extensions this off season, rather that then sit with our asses clenched waiting to hear anything as we approach the end of the season and Kessels still not signed.

Sorry I haven't seen him do any move that significantly helps our roster next season outside of the Bernier trade but your fucking blind if you think anything he has done warrants a hefty extension when hes already on a two year deal.

Oh yea Bolland, another third line centre, now we have 4 of them (Bolland/Bozak/McClement/Corlborne). Oh and our only legit top six center still hasn't been signed, but I'm sure he'll get that done soon enough.

What am I supposed to see that I'm happy about? Bernier is his best deal and we still don't know if that was a necessary move. Our number one issue has still not been addressed.

Bull fucking shit you'd be happy if Nonis did nothing on free agency. You've already said he's done nothing since he took over, if he actually did nothing you'd be losing your mind.

I never said they shouldn't sign Phaneuf and Kessel this offseason. How your talking you're acting as if they don't get signed now they never will be. As if a potential ufa has never been signed after this period. Just go back a few months ago and look up Corey Perry.

Same way you're bitching about Kadri and Franson not being signed. Go back and look at PK Subban.

The main issue here seems to be you're ridiculously impatient that everything needs to be done immediately now and if its not something is going wrong.

And what GM works well on a 2 year deal? Based on what you want things would be even worse. Nonis now has the time to make this roster how he wants and isn't burdened by making the playoffs to save his job.

Cake Boss

Banned
i1DcG399HmIRg.gif

Samyy

Whats the point in having 9.5 million cap space if there is nothing to use it for.

Whats the point of tying that money up in a pile of shit?
Exactly as Soc said, especially since these are 5 and 7 year deals. Heck Clarkson's even has limited NTC.

Spl1nter

Whats the point of tying that money up in a pile of shit?
Exactly as Soc said, especially since these are 5 and 7 year deals. Heck Clarkson's even has limited NTC.

Clarkson and Bozak both bring something to the team and in a couple years those deals will be cap friendly with the cap raising. Its not like next will be an amazing crop of cheap UFAs either.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, Farhan tweeted some comments from Luongo's new agent. He's going to be at training camp. He switched agents because he's been through a lot over the past 2 years and needed a new sounding board/voice/therapist.

Glad to see him make light of it, too. I'm sure he got some assurance from Gillis that if Lack did actually prove himself worthy some day that there wouldn't be any drama.

Samyy

Clarkson and Bozak both bring something to the team and in a couple years those deals will be cap friendly with the cap raising. Its not like next will be an amazing crop of cheap UFAs either.

Im honestly tired of people trying to defend those deals. They are horrible dude, im sorry its just plain bad.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Can't wait for the Canucks to acquire Schneider in 5 years for Bo Horvat, Hunter Shinkaruk and a 1st when Lu hits the shitter.

Top Bottom