• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Seems I am one of many who have an opportunity to buy winter classic tickets.

Just got an email from the Leafs.

Socreges

Banned
I would take Jones over him for sure. Surprised to see it starting to go the other way.
Depends on your needs. MacKinnon was extremely impressive during the Memorial Cup. The fact that he elevated his game *while Jones was on the ice* is apparently not going to be ignored.

Depends on your needs. MacKinnon was extremely impressive during the Memorial Cup. The fact that he elevated his game *while Jones was on the ice* is apparently not going to be ignored.

I have no doubt that Mac will be a great player, but I think a top flight defenseman is much harder to find then a top forward. Maybe it is just the Flyers defensive struggles clouding my mind though. If Mac does go 1st Homer should trade what ever it takes to get the 2nd pick.

Cake Boss

Banned
Scouts are just like fans, they have the whole " What have you done for me lately" mentality and the shiny new product thinking. If the memorial cup was held in January and the juniors tournament was held last week, all of the talk would be how Jones dominated that tournament and is the clear cut #1 pick, and how Mac sucked at the tourney and how Drouin outplayed him and should be picked over him.

You have to look at the whole body of work of their seasons and not just a couple of weeks here and there.

Socreges

Banned
^^^ true, though scouts consider these tournaments to be indicative of a certain trait where the players do better under more difficult circumstances.

I have no doubt that Mac will be a great player, but I think a top flight defenseman is much harder to find then a top forward. Maybe it is just the Flyers defensive struggles clouding my mind though. If Mac does go 1st Homer should trade what ever it takes to get the 2nd pick.
Jones has a higher ceiling than Mac (imo) and a dman of his calibre is more difficult to find, yeah.

That said, Mac is the first player to give 'Crosby vibes' in quite a while. And if he's not going to be as valuable as Crosby, which he won't be, then he could be at the level of Tavares and look at what he's done for the Isles.

So I think an argument could go either way. But I'm pretty sure that the Avs will take Jones.

That said, Mac is the first player to give 'Crosby vibes' in quite a while. And if he's not going to be as valuable as Crosby, which he won't be, then he could be at the level of Tavares and look at what he's done for the Isles.

So I think an argument could go either way. But I'm pretty sure that the Avs will take Jones.
Mac won't have the Crosby playmaking but his scoring touch is unreal. He is close to Stamkos/ Hall with a touch of Bure in his skates. Watching him skate is unreal. It's the rare amount of speed and fluidity which will put him among the league's best skaters as a rookie.

Var

I just hope they trade up for some defenseman. The FA market looks bleak and there is no way that they can go into next season with the same terrible group.

I don't think anyone we could draft on D would be ready next year. Maybe Jones, but even then it would be better if he spent a year or two developing before getting called up.

I don't think anyone we could draft on D would be ready next year. Maybe Jones, but even then it would be better if he spent a year or two developing before getting called up.

Damn that sucks. I was really hoping they could get some kind of help this year out of the draft.

Yup, this. Flyers D gonna suck next year regardless. These kids are all around 19. Very few (even the best) are ready for the NHL at that age.

Socreges

Banned
Mac won't have the Crosby playmaking but his scoring touch is unreal. He is close to Stamkos/ Hall with a touch of Bure in his skates. Watching him skate is unreal. It's the rare amount of speed and fluidity which will put him among the league's best skaters as a rookie.
Didn't mean to suggest they're the same type of player. Just in terms of what kind of impact he could have.

Besides, Connor McDavid is the real Next Next One.

Ristolainen might have an easier transition, since he's been playing in an adult league. Might benefit him to get some guidance from Timonen while we still have him.

Other than maybe him, wouldn't want any other D we could draft jumping to the main league this year. They'd all benefit from another year mastering/dominating the junior level (depending on their talent level) and then adjusting to the AHL after that before coming up. Murray'll help a lot with that adjustment. AHL time will only help them before hitting the NHL.

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-Gustafsson
Grossman-Mezaros
(maybe Lauridsen as 7th for further development? Will have to clear waivers next year, so I can see them keeping him with the main club.)

Won't be godawful if they stay healthy (though they admittedly won't.)

ZeroGravity

The problem is that anyone who drafts him will most likely have to play him. Playing another year in junior won't really help his development, and you can't put him in the AHL.

Cake Boss

Banned
Philly and Edmonton are the 2 teams I could see giving Gonchar the contract he wants.

edit: checked capgeek, Philly is over the cap by $3M next season, sweet jesus lol.

It's happening!
BLYGliqCYAA8Oqc.jpg

Only 3 people I want to see drop the 1st puck next season: 1. Scott Mellanby 2. Bill Torrey 3. Wayne Huizinga.

Var

Philly and Edmonton are the 2 teams I could see giving Gonchar the contract he wants.

edit: checked capgeek, Philly is over the cap by $3M next season, sweet jesus lol.

This may be a stupid question, I don't really get the salary cap rules, but is that counting Pronger against the cap? Since he can't be put on LTIR until the season starts?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Scouts are just like fans, they have the whole " What have you done for me lately" mentality and the shiny new product thinking.
Explains why Galchenyuk went 3rd overall.

Apparently Roy is high on Drouin, I don't know how you pass on Jones/Mackinnon though
He's coached against them, so he definitely has a intriguing opinion, and of Mack / Druin I would personally take Druin, but I don't see how Jones is passed up.

Samyy

Explains why Galchenyuk went 3rd overall.

He's coached against them, so he definitely has a intriguing opinion, and of Mack / Druin I would personally take Druin, but I don't see how Jones is passed up.

I dont know, elite centers and franchise d-men are the hardest thing to find in this league, I guess Avs will do okay whatever they do
But Seth Jones would be quite something to build around.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I dont know, elite centers and franchise d-men are the hardest thing to find in this league, I guess Avs will do okay whatever they do
But Seth Jones would be quite something to build around.
They already have Duchene, O'Rielly and Statsny.

I'm expecting some big moves on draft day with how good the top end is, hopefully that includes Bergevin, although I've accepted there's not chance of him nabbing a guy like Druin without giving up Subban +.

Top Bottom