• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

If Henrik moves to Isles, etc. that makes the market for Miller a little smaller. Miller / Allen would be fantastic if we could move Halak and Elliott somewhere, one in a package for a Center or playmaker with Stewart/Perron/Prospect and one for pick(s).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It pretty much has to be that. There was nothing else pressing happening in the club, they were probably afraid he wouldn't resign.

Yeah, I know it might be surprising to everyone else around the league, but there were NO indications coming from the Rangers at all that they were thinking of dumping Torts, and there have been rumblings well in advance for almost every Rangers coaching change I can think of off the top of my head all the way back to Roger Neilson. I mean, there have been plenty of rumblings from elsewhere around the league about Torts being fired (and a whole lot of guys in the media practically chomping at the bit for it), but nothing at all actually coming from the Rangers.

I think this has to be a move directly and specifically for the purpose of re-signing Lundqvist this summer. I think Hank more than anyone has been frustrated with Torts' system, and that frustration came out a number of times during the season in interviews and then again on breakup day. He's been playing Vezina level hockey for the last couple of years, but Torts' system hasn't generated the goals to win even when he's giving up fewer than 2 goals a game.

And the fact of the matter is that there are 29 other teams who would happily give Lundqvist one of the biggest goalie contracts of all time if they let him get to the end of his contract.

So the real question is: what if Hank still doesn't re-sign?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Torts is a lousy coach and I hope the next team dumb enough to hire him struggles considerably as a result.

Andreychuk and having St Louis in his prime won that Cup for Tampa, not Tortarella.

Holy shit that 3DS thread. Our people are dropping like flies.

Yeah, I know it might be surprising to everyone else around the league, but there were NO indications coming from the Rangers at all that they were thinking of dumping Torts, and there have been rumblings well in advance for almost every Rangers coaching change I can think of off the top of my head all the way back to Roger Neilson. I mean, there have been plenty of rumblings from elsewhere around the league about Torts being fired (and a whole lot of guys in the media practically chomping at the bit for it), but nothing at all actually coming from the Rangers.

I think this has to be a move directly and specifically for the purpose of re-signing Lundqvist this summer. I think Hank more than anyone has been frustrated with Torts' system, and that frustration came out a number of times during the season in interviews and then again on breakup day. He's been playing Vezina level hockey for the last couple of years, but Torts' system hasn't generated the goals to win even when he's giving up fewer than 2 goals a game.

And the fact of the matter is that there are 29 other teams who would happily give Lundqvist one of the biggest goalie contracts of all time if they let him get to the end of his contract.

Welcome to Philly Henrik!

Would Rangers fans be happy with Couts Reed and this year and net years 1st? I dont think many top goalies have been traded in their prime so it is hard to imagine what fair compensation would be.

calder

Damn only a few of us casual posters now...

He left the bubble didn't he ?

Haha reading it now. Pretty tame, but he got caught up in a few slap fights in the Gaming Side. I think for a generational shift period Gaming is going alright so far (I remember the PS2 launch era here, it was.. intense), but I wouldn't be surprised if mods start picking guys out of the crowd in the testy exchanges and throwing out short bans like candy beads at a Mardi Gras parade.

Haha reading it now. Pretty tame, but he got caught up in a few slap fights in the Gaming Side. I think for a generational shift period Gaming is going alright so far (I remember the PS2 launch era here, it was.. intense), but I wouldn't be surprised if mods start picking guys out of the crowd in the testy exchanges and throwing out short bans like candy beads at a Mardi Gras parade.

It's a good time for Frey's friendly Gaming Side PSA:

Not even once. OP for news and close thread.

I don't think you're much worse off if doesn't sign compared to him not signing and not firing Torts. Torts hasn't been getting it done. Maybe it was partly the players but at some point with the amount of talent you guys acquired and traded for, there shouldn't be the trouble in scoring like you had. You guys made it to the second round and that's good but they're playing under their potential for a while now and I think you have to try a shake up eventually. I get the feeling he'll wait until middle/end of next year to resign if at all. He probably wants to see how the team is after the change before making a long term commitment.

Welcome to Philly Henrik!

Would Rangers fans be happy with Couts Reed and this year and net years 1st? I dont think many top goalies have been traded in their prime so it is hard to imagine what fair compensation would be.

He can command pretty much any team he wants. He's not going to a shitty team who can't make the playoffs. Dude probably wants one final contract and a cup. It's not going to happen.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
like frey said, not even once. I hate going to that side.

Its great for news and info. and good for impressions on new games at times.

But man, it degenerates quickly. best to lurk and not post. And like OT, it has feminism and sexism threads that are insanely hostile and contentious. I don't get the appeal of taking part in such nonsense.

But you best believe I'll be on gaming side when GT6 comes out.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see Lundqvist going anywhere this off-season no matter what, even if he refuses to sign. Next season is sort of penciled in and circled in red ink as "THE YEAR." The team is in "win right now" mode, so there's no chance of starting from scratch in goal.

This is also why the Rangers are probably going to have their virtual pick of the litter with coaches, because probably only the Canucks are similarly situated with teams that can make a run at the Cup right now among the current vacancies. I imagine we're going to end up with either AV or Ruff, but maybe they'll surprise us again.

The only way Lundqvist gets shipped anywhere before his contract is up is if the season turns into an absolute disaster for one reason or another and the team has to enter rebuild mode by the trade deadline.

Its great for news and info. and good for impressions on new games at times.

But man, it degenerates quickly. best to lurk and not post. And like OT, it has feminism and sexism threads that are insanely hostile and contentious. I don't get the appeal of taking part in such nonsense.

But you best believe I'll be on gaming side when GT6 comes out.

I only participate in the gaming side for the PC building thread and that's it. It's remotely safe there. But damn, video games are srs business over there

I don't see Lundqvist going anywhere this off-season no matter what, even if he refuses to sign. Next season is sort of penciled in and circled in red ink as "THE YEAR." The team is in "win right now" mode, so there's no chance of starting from scratch in goal.

This is also why the Rangers are probably going to have their virtual pick of the litter with coaches, because probably only the Canucks are similarly situated with teams that can make a run at the Cup right now among the current vacancies. I imagine we're going to end up with either AV or Ruff, but maybe they'll surprise us again.

The only way Lundqvist gets shipped anywhere before his contract is up is if the season turns into an absolute disaster for one reason or another and the team has to enter rebuild mode by the trade deadline.

They wont get hardly anything if they trade him at the deadline compared to now. A full year of control, plus a bunch of time to sell him on resigning is going to be way more attractive to trade partners.

They wont get hardly anything if they trade him at the deadline compared to now. A full year of control, plus a bunch of time to sell him on resigning is going to be way more attractive to trade partners.

Bullshit, it's freaking lundqvist, the interest won't disappear when it becomes playoff time. That's beyond silly.

Var

Bullshit, it's freaking lundqvist, the interest won't disappear when it becomes playoff time. That's beyond silly.

I don't think anyone outside of playoff contention is going to give NY a great return for renting Henrik for a couple of months. And those teams that are in serious contention aren't going to want to bust their teams up to get him at the deadline. They might as well wait and try to get him on the market at that point. There will definitely still be some interest but his value will certainly be lower.

Heretic

Gaming side was a cesspool the past week. It's calmed down since but whenever an XOne thread pops up and there aren't full details about the topic, it becomes a damn zoo.

I mentioned this in another thread but it seems the concept of being patient has gone out the window. No one wants to wait for E3 when it comes to MS. Any time MS PR mentions something along the lines of "We'll announce that at a later time" or "We're not ready to announce that just yet" all of a sudden that means MS has dropped the ball or they're fucked. It's quite annoying. Don't even get me started on how the WiiU is treated! Wait for the heavy hitters, people!!!

I don't think anyone outside of playoff contention is going to give NY a great return for renting Henrik for a couple of months. And those teams that are in serious contention aren't going to want to bust their teams up to get him at the deadline. They might as well wait and try to get him on the market at that point. There will definitely still be some interest but his value will certainly be lower.

No shit? Value always decreases the longer you wait, still doesn't mean "They wont get hardly anything". I'm sure plenty of teams like lightning or some other team on the cusp but have a shitty goal will pay pretty well.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Apparently CB is all of Sens-GAF now. The rest of us need to get pissed drunk and post here to compensate.

He's the most well known member, so rest of y'all gotta step up.

Same way I've unfortunately become the poster boy of sports sadness in the majority of Sports-GAF threads. :(

Merguson

Banned
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
VAN is interviewing Dallas Eakins today for the Canucks' head-coaching vacancy.

Also..

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzieTalked to NHL GM about COL shopping No. 1 pick: "Who are we supposed to call there?" Patrick Roy, apparently. Greg Sherman GM in name only.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Naturally, which is why that would only happen in an absolute emergency, where Lundqvist doesn't re-sign, Staal retires from his eye injury, Callahan starts playing like Brad Richards, and Nash has his arm ripped off by a chimpanzee in the Bronx Zoo.

The only reason Lundqvist would get traded this summer is if he makes it absolutely clear that there is zero chance of him re-signing with the Rangers at any price, which I don't think is going to be the case.

My expectation is that we're going to re-sign him to a fat deal that runs until he's 40, and this line of speculation will be moot.

ZeroGravity

Torts is a lousy coach and I hope the next team dumb enough to hire him struggles considerably as a result.

Andreychuk and having St Louis in his prime won that Cup for Tampa, not Tortarella.
To be fair, Tortorella was also the person who whipped Lecavalier into shape when he was causing issues as young player. Lecavalier gives a lot of credit to Tortorella for helping get his career on track. Torts is a coach who can get a lot out of players in a short span but wears off easily over time. He was definitely a big reason why Tampa won that Cup.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
This is just me trying to convince myself Vancouver won't take Eakins:

I'm assuming that Gillis is on a short leash. I'd think he'd go for a more name brand veteran coach instead of a new guy...

That's all I got.

Torts isn't a bad coach he just has a short shelf life with players, might be a good option for Vancouver as their window to win is closing.

Top Bottom