• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, Glen Sather said the decision to scratch Richards the last couple of games was an "organizational decision."

Buyout incoming!

This is just me trying to convince myself Vancouver won't take Eakins

Am I the only one in Leaf-GAF that isn't upset about Eakins potentially going to Vancouver?

Let him cut his teeth on a different team without the excessive expectations he'd have to face in Toronto.

I'm assuming that Gillis is on a short leash. I'd think he'd go for a more name brand veteran coach instead of a new guy...

Is Eakins even the coach Vancouver fans want right now?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Am I the only one in Leaf-GAF that isn't upset about Eakins potentially going to Vancouver?

Let him cut his teeth on a different team without the excessive expectations he'd have to face in Toronto.

He'd be facing just as much expectations and pressure in Vancouver I'd feel.

The window is closing but it's not like they still can't compete for a Cup.

Quick

Banned
I have a feeling Eakins will come back to Toronto in the future. I do agree, sort of, with Bones, where he just needs to get his feet wet, but it would be a similar environment to Toronto.

Eakins definitely deserves a shot. And while I'm okay with Carlyle for now, he was my pick to be the next coach when Wilson was fired.

CCF23

Absolutely, unequivocally, without a doubt.

Razorskin

----- ------
Eakins is gone, you can't keep a guy like that locked up in the AHL forever. Dude is going to find a good position at NHL level and take it.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I believe cake got eaten WITHIN the bubble! D:

His fault for invoking the name of the psycho hose beast and dragging that drama in here. Hope the Boss is back soon, because in all honestly, it was pretty funny.

To be fair, Tortorella was also the person who whipped Lecavalier into shape when he was causing issues as young player. Lecavalier gives a lot of credit to Tortorella for helping get his career on track. Torts is a coach who can get a lot out of players in a short span but wears off easily over time. He was definitely a big reason why Tampa won that Cup.

Fair enough. I rescind my earlier comment with a decree of "Still think he's overrated".

Fei

Mostly for Sabres-GAF, but others might enjoy this...

ESPN 30 for 30 on Clint Malarchuck and his throat injury and him dealing with OCD and PTSD. Pretty riveting shit.

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=cutthroat

God that is tough to watch. I remember watching Malarchuck as a kid, but thankfully I did not see that live. Hearing Robataille's reaction is rough. Sounded like he wanted to just get out of the booth as soon as he saw it.

I'm not surprised the Zednik skate brought all those memories back. That was unbelievably scary to see. Let's hope he has his life together for good now.

Eakins is good but it's not like the Canucks have an abundance of young talent for him to work with. I can see Tortorella getting one or two years with the current core, and if they don't win a Cup the team will get blown up (fire Gillis and Torts and rebuild).

EDIT: I don't see Torts going for this though. He must know his time will be limited if he takes the Canucks coaching gig.

ZeroGravity

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 40s
Let's not forget Messier had extensive talks with the Oilers about coaching a year or so ago. He shouldn't be discounted as a NYR candidate.
No way they'd do this, right?

CCF23

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, either, but Eakins has Vancouver connections. He lives here in the Summers, I believe his wife is from here, he's good friends with Trevor Linden, and one of his idols was Roger Neilson.

Acid08

Banned
Eakins will go to Van and that will be a huge get for them. Really jealous.

Torts :lol saw that one coming. Messier as a coach sounds terrifying. Maybe Van will hire him so he can destroy their hopes and dreams one more time.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
No way they'd do this, right?

I have heard multiple people drop Mark Messier's name already, including a couple on the Rangers beat.

I think it's an outside shot, though.

If you put a gun to my head, I'd guess Lindy Ruff is probably first choice at the organization.

Socreges

Banned
Damn only a few of us casual posters now...

He left the bubble didn't he ?
Not sure what a casual poster is, but I don't think equipped would qualify.

And he didn't get banned for any particular offense, I don't think. More that mods came down hard on anyone engaged in an old-fashioned 'flame war'. I think they're really trying to cut that stuff out with how volatile it's been and with E3 approaching.

2nd surprise in that thread was seeing how salty Vita fanboys are
1st surprise was seeing that there are Vita fanboys

Fei

For the past few weeks, the Sabres beat writers have been hinting that the Rangers are Ruff's first choice. I could see it.

Heretic

Not sure what a casual poster is, but I don't think equipped would qualify.

And he didn't get banned for any particular offense, I don't think. More that mods came down hard on anyone engaged in an old-fashioned 'flame war'. I think they're really trying to cut that stuff out with how volatile it's been and with E3 approaching.

2nd surprise in that thread was seeing how salty Vita fanboys are
1st surprise was seeing that there are Vita fanboys

hahaha

Socreges

Banned
Much respect for Dallas Eakins, but is his greatness not a bit overstated in here? I know he's done really well with the Marlies (Calder Cup final appearance, etc), but what am I missing?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Much respect for Dallas Eakins, but is his greatness not a bit overstated in here? I know he's done really well with the Marlies (Calder Cup final appearance, etc), but what am I missing?

He's just the hot new coach that everyone is raving about.

He's so hot right now, I'm sure soon enough you'll fall in love with him as well:

dallas-eakins-toronto-marlies.jpg

Socreges

Banned
Torts fired? Henrik thinking about moving on? Loungo value drops even further?

Poor Luongo hahaha! He just wants to play!
If Lundqvist leaves New York (he won't), then New York will need a goalie. Biron isn't going to be their starter and they don't have anyone coming up through their system. So even if they wouldn't want Luongo, they'd need to grab someone from another team.

So the market remains exactly the same.

Montresor

This is just me trying to convince myself Vancouver won't take Eakins:

I'm assuming that Gillis is on a short leash. I'd think he'd go for a more name brand veteran coach instead of a new guy...

That's all I got.

I don't think we should be so worried about Dallas Eakins leaving. It's a good thing. A good, up-and-coming AHL coach made our kids better, and he's going to become a full-time coach elsewhere. Let's hope the next person we hire for the Marlies does the _exact_ same thing!

Meanwhile, Carlyle just broke our 9-year playoff drought, and I have faith that he'll bring us back into the playoffs next year.

I wonder if Eakins' relationship with Toronto is causing some Canucks fans(and writers) to overlook that he is still a functional novice. If he was in charge of Phoenix's farm team, I doubt anyone would be too enthused about Gillis handing him the reins to this roster, at this point in the club's cycle.

Socreges

Banned
I wonder if Eakins' relationship with Toronto is causing some Canucks fans(and writers) to overlook that he is still a functional novice. If he was in charge of Phoenix's farm team, I doubt anyone would be too enthused about Gillis handing him the reins to this roster, at this point in the club's cycle.
Not sure what you've been reading, but I was actually talking about the effuse praise from Toronto fans (and writers and brass). The praise that I've seen from Canucks fans and blogs has been a consequence of this glowing praise from Toronto. This article by Canucks Army is evidence of that. It's written by a Canucks blogger, but built entirely on the exhaustively positive claims of Toronto-based Clayton Hansler.

Botchford seems concerned about his lack of NHL experience as well. But, like everyone else, he's got a long list of quotes and anecdotes to point to in highlighting the positives.

Top Bottom