• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So to add more fuel to the "something major must have changed" fire with this whole Tortorella thing, ESPN NY now says that Torts had actually signed a contract extension during this season, so next year was NOT going to be his last year under contract.

So as I thought, Torts was supposed to be here for the long haul. Must have been fallout from Lundqvist interviews + exit meetings with Torts that did it.

Revenant

Welcome!

AH8Hq.gif
AH8Hq.gif
AH8Hq.gif
AH8Hq.gif

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Cleary/Filppula/White/Miller should not be re-signed

Samuelsson/Bertuzzi should be bought out

Re-sign Brunner/Nyquist/Andersson/Kindl/Smith (yes even Smith, trade bait for later)

Bring up Tatar/Sproul/Jurco

Make a trade for a scoring winger

Frazen/Datsyuk/Tatar
Nyquist/Z/Brunner
Jurco/Andersson/Abdelkader
Eaves/Helm/Tootoo
Emmerton

Kronwall/Ericsson
Quincey/Smith
Kindl/DeKesyer
Colaiacovo

Howard/Gustavsson

To the guy out there who is screaming about firing Babcock: shut the fuck up.

To everyone else: well, that was depressing, but we still overperformed, and as Wingfan noted, we have some space for improvement and some bodies to throw overboard. Or under the bus. Or whatever.

Also, remember: we didn't spend all that money on Parise and Suter for the next 13 years only to barely make the playoffs and nearly get swept by Chicago, right?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Welcome Wings fans.

It sucks in here.
That's during the adjustment period, once you get into the groove of things, you realize how much better this thread is then the other one. The Detroit reject gif should be great.

Socreges

Banned
Soc, I misunderstood the context of your initial post.

That's the point I was clumsily making.
Ah, gotcha.

Eakins does seem like a great coach, but is probably a better fit elsewhere. That's not to say that he couldn't excel with a veteran team as well, but that's much less certain and Gillis might not want to take that gamble.

Regardless, he won't be with the Marlies for much longer. Like a flower that grew out of a pot of dirt.... I have no idea how to make this metaphor work.

I did an image search for 'Detroit', hoping for something funny to come up that I could post here, but it was mostly pictures of abandoned and decrepit buildings.

(; _ ; )

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Gotta build that concourse fast.

I'm really worried that they're going to ruin the view of the ceiling with those stupid bridges. Also, I feel like putting bridges below the ceiling where the lights are is just going to make the lighting even worse. :D

At least we're finally getting a modern Gardenvision and the first new ice plant since the building opened in 1968. So maybe the ice will be (slightly) less shitty next year!

Razorskin

----- ------
I'm really worried that they're going to ruin the view of the ceiling with those stupid bridges. Also, I feel like putting bridges below the ceiling where the lights are is just going to make the lighting even worse. :D

At least we're finally getting a modern Gardenvision and the first new ice plant since the building opened in 1968. So maybe the ice will be (slightly) less shitty next year!

With all the events that place hosts the ice will always be shit.

Quick

Banned
Having a bridge seems like a stupid idea, but I'd actually like to see how it turns out.

The major thing I immediately thought about is lighting issues. I'm sure they got it all figured out, though.

Merguson

Banned
Hey leafs(Marlies) fans! Tell me everything about Greg Scott all I know is that he plays power play as well as box play.

He was pretty solid for the Marlies. Didn't really have a chance to be called up to the NHL but maybe this will help him.

Not sure what kind of role he'll have but I think he'll slide into your bottom six, with some offensive potential. Had 7 goals in 9 games in the AHL Playoffs this year so that was fun to watch as well.

The Marlies will probably miss him but we need the roster spots for our younger guys. Guys like Ross/McKegg didn't really get a lot of playing ice-time until at the end of the season.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
So who wants Ryder because he is not coming back to the Habs according to reports and common sense after his playoff performance/final games of the regular season.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So the update today from a few different writers is that Tortorella was not going to be fired when the season ended, but a group of players went to Sather and told him that Torts needed to go, including several "top guys." That combined with Lundqvist's comments on Monday forced Sather's hand.

Long story short, he was fired for off-ice reasons and not on-ice. Which shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone.

Though to be honest, I'm not sure I completely buy this. I'm sure there was some of this, but the players responded to Torts pretty damn well late in the season, especially after some of Sather's personnel issues were at least partially resolved at the trade deadline, and Carl Hagelin even today says he likes Torts, was surprised he got fired, and didn't have a problem with his comment that he stinks on the PP.

Long story short, he was fired for off-ice reasons and not on-ice. Which shouldn't be much of a surprise to anyone.

This sort of thing happens all the time lately. Coaches who make enemies in the locker room and can't foster a good working relationship with their players do not last long. Players make far more money and are far more irreplaceable than a coach.

The players have pride and still want to win etc. but that extra 10% or whatever will not really be there all that much. How much drive do you have every morning to play hockey when you still have to deal with that asshole behind the bench ?

It's no different in the workplace. If your boss is an asshole you are not going to work very hard for him(only enough to keep your job) and if he makes a lot of enemies and publicly calls out and insults his subordinates he will not last long either.

Sens went through the same thing. MacLean's predecessor got good short term results but the players absolutely hated him and he was terrible at communicating with the team.

This sort of thing happens all the time lately. Coaches who make enemies in the locker room and can't foster a good working relationship with their players do not last long. Players make far more money and are far more irreplaceable than a coach.

The players have pride and still want to win etc. but that extra 10% or whatever will not really be there all that much. How much drive do you have every morning to play hockey when you still have to deal with that asshole behind the bench ?

It's no different in the workplace. If your boss is an asshole you are not going to work very hard for him(only enough to keep your job) and if he makes a lot of enemies and publicly calls out and insults his subordinates he will not last long either.

Sens went through the same thing. MacLean's predecessor got good short term results but the players absolutely hated him and he was terrible at communicating with the team.

Cory Clouston was a wiener.

Top Bottom