• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

He was pretty solid for the Marlies. Didn't really have a chance to be called up to the NHL but maybe this will help him.

Not sure what kind of role he'll have but I think he'll slide into your bottom six, with some offensive potential. Had 7 goals in 9 games in the AHL Playoffs this year so that was fun to watch as well.

The Marlies will probably miss him but we need the roster spots for our younger guys. Guys like Ross/McKegg didn't really get a lot of playing ice-time until at the end of the season.
Bottom 6 wasnt what I was hoping for, but I guess that it will be alright if he is a solid 3rd center. Just because he is from NA Im hoping that he will be a gritty player with a lot of fighting spirit.

And here I was sitting and waiting for a homoerotic fan fiction.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Yes, YES. "I'm Malcolm Reynolds widow" *gasp*

Jaynestown had me in stiches.

I'm just sad that because there's only 1 season there's not enough time to actually have Simon/Kaylee and Inara/Mal fleshed out :(

Not to mention exploring all the Asian aspects of the universe. There'd be so much potential there, too.

I'm just sad that because there's only 1 season there's not enough time to actually have Simon/Kaylee and Inara/Mal fleshed out :(

Not to mention exploring all the Asian aspects of the universe. There'd be so much potential there, too.

Yeah they could have done so much with such an amazing universe.

Silexx

This sort of thing happens all the time lately. Coaches who make enemies in the locker room and can't foster a good working relationship with their players do not last long. Players make far more money and are far more irreplaceable than a coach.

The players have pride and still want to win etc. but that extra 10% or whatever will not really be there all that much. How much drive do you have every morning to play hockey when you still have to deal with that asshole behind the bench ?

It's no different in the workplace. If your boss is an asshole you are not going to work very hard for him(only enough to keep your job) and if he makes a lot of enemies and publicly calls out and insults his subordinates he will not last long either.

Sens went through the same thing. MacLean's predecessor got good short term results but the players absolutely hated him and he was terrible at communicating with the team.

I think hate is a bit of a strong word, but he he certainly frustrated a lot of the vets on the team due to his closed mindedness and, as you said, terrible communication.

Seeing the Wings and Sharks fight to seven games irks me. When's the last time the Canucks actually fought back in a series?

Down 3-0 to LA? Win one game and then keel over at home.
Down 3-0 to SJ? Fight back in the 3rd period of Game 4 and then keel over in OT.
Up 3-0 on Chicago in 2011? Mail in the next two games, start Schneider in Game 6, and then scrape out a Game 7 win. I don't know why there isn't a statue of Chris Campoli outside Rogers Arena.

Discounting 2007 (when the Canucks overachieved with a one-line team and Luongo) the Canucks haven't faced and overcome much adversity over the past 7 years. They've won the division title against inferior competition and having top-tier goaltending gives them a chance to win every night.

2009 they swept a young Blues team ravaged by the flu and choked away a potential series stranglehold against a young Hawks team (I wouldn't be surprised if they went up 3-1 and lost in 7, to be honest).

2010 they beat a young Kings team and got stomped by the Hawks. Down 3-1, they pulled out a gutsy Game 5 win on the road and proceeded to keel over at home in Game 6.

2011 they won the first game of every series they were in. They still needed 6 games to beat an overachieving Nashville team, and that was due to Kesler and Luongo (Suter and Weber shut down the Sedins pretty well). They beat the Sharks in 5 thanks to a stanchion and Thornton playing with a separated shoulder.

When's the last time a Sedin scored a huge goal? I can think of one: Henrik's goal in Game 4 against LA in 2010 with under 3 minutes left to tie the series 2-2. Yes the Sedins produce all the time and they do play with Burrows (who has scored some huge goals himself) but they don't really have that game-changing element needed in the playoffs.

To me it almost seems like the Canucks are arrogant; they know they're one of the top teams in the league with a talented lineup and they should just breeze into the Cup finals every year. I guess the media doesn't help with all the excuses; they're injured, they lost to the Cup champs, etc. I thought the LA series would've humbled them but it didn't help against SJ.

One last comment on goaltending: the whole adversity thing is why I think Luongo is better for the Canucks then Schneider. Schneider has frankly been coddled every step of the way while playing behind of the league's best goalies. Luongo, on the other hand, toiled for years on a bad Florida team and has faced criticism ever since he arrived in Vancouver. Yet for all his meltdowns he's still given the Canucks every opportunity to win.

ZeroGravity

Also, Bob McKenzie on Twitter suggesting that Roberto Luongo might be a good fit on the Islanders. Essentially, Canucks would trade Luongo to New York, and in turn would have to take on DiPietro's contract with the intent on buying him out (which would actually be slightly cheaper than buying out Luongo). Islanders would basically be swapping out one bad contract for another, but for a goaltender who can actually help them win.

Seems to make sense if no one else will trade for Luongo. They would just have to work out the details and whatever else could be coming back for Vancouver.

Socreges

Banned
Also, Bob McKenzie on Twitter suggesting that Roberto Luongo might be a good fit on the Islanders. Essentially, Canucks would trade Luongo to New York, and in turn would have to take on DiPietro's contract with the intent on buying him out (which would actually be slightly cheaper than buying out Luongo). Islanders would basically be swapping out one bad contract for another, but for a goaltender who can actually help them win.

Seems to make sense if no one else will trade for Luongo. They would just have to work out the details and whatever else could be coming back for Vancouver.
Brock Nelson pls

TSN has been talking about 'Luongo to the Isles' for a couple weeks now. We have zero indication that this interests Garth Snow, but they'll continue to push it as if it does.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If Thomas plays for the Leafs I'll probably drive off a cliff. I thought I was done with that SOB.

Socreges

Banned
Finished the first episode of Sherlock. Pretty good. I'll keep going.

Don't understand, though, how Sherlock can figure everything out but think Watson was hitting on him.

yyzjohn

Banned
Leafs fan here making my presence known for October. I can barely think about hockey in this crazy heat we're getting the last 2 days but you know

still feeling that game 7 meltdown pain

Razorskin

----- ------
But can he jump?

RbNiYTF.png

A true measure of one's athletic ability.

Per Helene St, James, Pavel Datsyuk said he wants to sign extension this summer with Red Wings, wants to stay several more years. Huge plus for team.

Pavel Datsyuk ‏@Datsyuk13

Dear Friends, Thank You for the support you have shown me and The Red Wings. I look forward playing here for many years to come.

cbvebrY.gif

Top Bottom