• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm glad they spent so much time on this shit instead of fixing the millions of other problems in the game.

Exactly. I'll be skipping the series until they put a new engine on next-gen. So, looks like I may never play this series again.

The whole point was him feeling like he is being robbed by the Pens. Crosby is getting $12m this year he is only getting $7.5m. I doubt when he looks at his salary he thinks, well at least my cap hit is more. You keep saying his contract is front loaded but the most salary he got in any year was $9m, which is still $3m less per year then Crosby gets. Maybe before you rush to insult people you should actually look up what it is that you are talking about.

Dragon

Banned
What physics?

dVIEUzO.jpg

The whole point was him feeling like he is being robbed by the Pens. Crosby is getting $12m this year he is only getting $7.5m. I doubt when he looks at his salary he thinks, well at least my cap hit is more. You keep saying his contract is front loaded but the most salary he got in any year was $9m, which is still $3m less per year then Crosby gets. Maybe before you rush to insult people you should actually look up what it is that you are talking about.
:lol You can't be this dumb, you just can't.

Curufinwe

:lol You can't be this dumb, you just can't.

The actual value of Crosby's contract over the next eight years is $86.4 million. That is why we think Malkin is going to want an average of $10 million a year, and not be content with $8.7 million. He's as good as Crosby, and a lot better than Corey Perry.

Socreges

Banned
Zaraki is annoying and has the brain of a small child.... but I actually agree with him here. I don't think Malkin would give a shit what the yearly salaries are since players recognize the value of the contract over the entire term. If Crosby is making more than him this year, that's made irrelevant by the fact that Malkin will make more in other years. All you can really do is look at the AAV to make these sorts of comparisons.

Crosby is going to be making only $3m in salary when he's 35 years old. Do you think, assuming he keeps up with someone like Datsyuk, that he's going to think 'This isn't reflective of my skills!' and be upset? No, he's going to realize that it's simply how his contract was structured.

Agreed, though, that Malkin is worth more than $8.7m AAV. No disagreement there.

Curufinwe

By the time Crosby is 35 there will have probably been another lockout and another set of amnesty buyouts. I don't see players like Zach Parise playing for a paltry million bucks in 2024-25 when they will be 40 years old.

Zaraki is annoying and has the brain of a small child.... but I actually agree with him here. I don't think Malkin would give a shit what the yearly salaries are since players recognize the value of the contract over the entire term. If Crosby is making more than him this year, that's made irrelevant by the fact that Malkin will make more in other years. All you can really do is look at the AAV to make these sorts of comparisons.

Crosby is going to be making only $3m in salary when he's 35 years old. Do you think, assuming he keeps up with someone like Datsyuk, that he's going to think 'This isn't reflective of my skills!' and be upset? No, he's going to realize that it's simply how his contract was structured.

Agreed, though, that Malkin is worth more than $8.7m AAV. No disagreement there.

Between now and 2021-22 the lowest salary Crosby will make in any season is $9m. $9m also happens to be the most money Malkin made in any year of the last contract he signed. You might be right about players not comparing salaries in hockey, but that has been a huge problem in both the NFL and MLB. Players sign a new contract and then another player signs for more that season and then suddenly player A is no longer happy with his deal. I really have no idea about Malkin perse, I only was chiming in because I agree with the original point that the Pens have had him the last 4 years on a below market contract. It was very surprising to me to see anyone disagree with that.

Ding, ding, ding. The annual salary is irrelevant since they're making the same money, the disbursements are just changed. Crosby shouldn't have resigned then since Malkin was making more than him since he was earlier in his contract than Crosby (And thus had a higher annual salary) a couple years ago. It doesn't make sense like that.

Between now and 2021-22 the lowest salary Crosby will make in any season is $9m. $9m also happens to be the most money Malkin made in any year of the last contract he signed. You might be right about players not comparing salaries in hockey, but that has been a huge problem in both the NFL and MLB. Players sign a new contract and then another player signs for more that season and then suddenly player A is no longer happy with his deal. I really have no idea about Malkin perse, I only was chiming in because I agree with the original point that the Pens have had him the last 4 years on a below market contract. It was very surprising to me to see anyone disagree with that.

Do you have examples? Only ones I remember in NFL are for younger players who have played above what was expected of them. Mojo and stuff complain because he's gone from being the back up to the only running back for the team and is paid peanuts and his stats and performance has been multiple levels higher than was ever though possible. I've seen a lot of rookies complain about that (it's been happening a lot in the NHL for years too) but I can't think of many others. The gap if there even is one will be gone once he resigns, using the twilight of his contract as a benchmarks is absurdly dishonest. You know most contracts are crap at the end, it's like doing this with Pronger's salary for his last year of the contract with Philly, or Luongo or whoever, most contracts pay more initially and taper over time.

Socreges

Banned
That's unrelated, no? We're talking about how the yearly salary fluctuates based on how the contract is structured. Players often get their deals front-loaded - so, they're not stupid enough to care when they're at the back end and getting relatively little since they'd recognize that they got paid big time early on.

Remember, it's not just numbers to them. Their contracts are meant to reflect their lifestyles and position in life. Young players want lots of money early on so they can make investments, buy a house (or two), etc. so by the time they're at the end of their contract they don't really need the big money as much.

As a separate point, yes it's fair to say that they've had him "below market". But pointing to his annual salary is irrelevant.

Var

As a separate point, yes it's fair to say that they've had him "below market". But pointing to his annual salary is irrelevant.

Agreed. I am more interested in what happens now that it is impossible for him to sign the same deal as Crosby. Does he demand market value for himself? As pointed out above, for him to get the same money as Crosby now, he would have to sign an 8 year/86+ million dollar deal. Could the Penguins keep Letang if they give Malkin that much?

That's unrelated, no? We're talking about how the yearly salary fluctuates based on how the contract is structured. Players often get their deals front-loaded - so, they're not stupid enough to care when they're at the back end and getting relatively little since they'd recognize that they got paid big time early on.

Remember, it's not just numbers to them. Their contracts are meant to reflect their lifestyles and position in life. Young players want lots of money early on so they can make investments, buy a house (or two), etc. so by the time they're at the end of their contract they don't really need the big money as much.

I don't know why this was brought up since I never disagreed with this. With their stats/performance, both he and Crosby have taken "cuts" from what they can get on the market. My only point was it's not the huge gap some were implying. The threat of him jumping ship to the KHL is also non-existent. He'll go to a bottom team before that. With the absurd money thrown at him and Ovechkin from the KHL, if they had any desire to be there they would have left years ago. Maybe they'll play there in their twilight when they don't care but not now in their prime.

Agreed. I am more interested in what happens now that it is impossible for him to sign the same deal as Crosby. Does he demand market value for himself? As pointed out above, for him to get the same money as Crosby now, he would have to sign an 8 year/86+ million dollar deal. Could the Penguins keep Letang if they give Malkin that much?

We could keep Letang. May be one year of growing pains but Martin is almost done and his contract was a big overpayment for the most part. Letang plays so weird sometimes I'm not even sure what he would command though. Sometimes he looks like someone who has Norris and then other times he looks like shit. He's been fucking terrible this round against Boston.

Ding, ding, ding. The annual salary is irrelevant since they're making the same money, the disbursements are just changed. Crosby shouldn't have resigned then since Malkin was making more than him since he was earlier in his contract than Crosby (And thus had a higher annual salary) a couple years ago. It doesn't make sense like that.

Do you have examples? Only ones I remember in NFL are for younger players who have played above what was expected of them. Mojo and stuff complain because he's gone from being the back up to the only running back for the team and is paid peanuts and his stats and performance has been multiple levels higher than was ever though possible. I've seen a lot of rookies complain about that (it's been happening a lot in the NHL for years too) but I can't think of many others. The gap if there even is one will be gone once he resigns, using the twilight of his contract as a benchmarks is absurdly dishonest. You know most contracts are crap at the end, it's like doing this with Pronger's salary for his last year of the contract with Philly, or Luongo or whoever, most contracts pay more initially and taper over time.

But Malkins contract has hardly gone down at all. He started at $9m and is now getting $7.5m. Even at the highest point of this deal he was still getting substantially less then Crosby will get for almost all of his contract. People were just pointing out that he did take less then market value this deal and you said he isnt underpaid and then started calling people dumb. Good on the ens for being able to lockup guys to team friendly deals, but I think it is fair to wonder if he will take another team friendly contract.

I wasn't even talking to you, but I scrolled up and:

Let me guess your reply to this:

Because I'll admit he could probably get higher but I don't think he's necessarily underpaid. Again, tell me what his salary should be then? No one wants to answer this. He's like the 5th highest paid player in the league this year, how much more can it go up? And this includes the crazy contracts teams tried to pull off before the new CBA. I'm sure you'll just act like a baby and hurl insults though since it's all you've done when quoting me. Funny how you claim to take the high ground in discussions.

Also Yankeehater, FYI but sports city is saying Malkin has salary of 9 mil this year and only has the 7.5 mil salary next year (his final year). I'm not sure if they're wrong or not but it's what I saw when trying to find the breakdowns of highest paid players in the NHL.

Andy McDonald retiring due to post-concussion syndrome.

I feel for him, he's an impressive story and is a great person, but watching his decline this year was brutal. So afraid of the next big hit that outside of the shootout he wasn't contributing much of anything. Turnovers like you wouldn't believe. Seems like he's staying in STL with his family and real estate business.

We weren't resigning him anyway, but that's effectively 3 gone in 2 days with Langenbrunner not far behind. Should be an interesting summer.

Socreges

Banned
Last of Us...what's that. Is it about Coyotes fans?
Heretic expressed interest in a PS3 game. You can't let him step out of line like this.

By the way, looks like I can buy Halo 4 for $15 and then trade it in (with another game) and get Animal Crossing plus a $25 credit. I won't even open Halo 4, Heretic. It's just a tool to me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Heretic expressed interest in a PS3 game. You can't let him step out of line like this.

By the way, looks like I can buy Halo 4 for $15 and then trade it in (with another game) and get Animal Crossing plus a $25 credit. I won't even open Halo 4, Heretic. It's just a tool to me.

:lol I know. I was thinking of picking up at some point. I had trouble getting into Uncharted 3 though. Last of Us looks great though.

Also real men play State of Decay over Animal Crossing.
Also I'm joking.

Curufinwe

I looking forward to playing my PS3 and 360 games while my wife is the other room playing Animal Crossing. Since we only have one HDTV, I get a lot more console gaming time if she has a 3DS game to obsess over.

Socreges

Banned
How do the social aspects work? ie, My character visiting Marvie's shithole. Is there a FAQ or something?

Does calling Marvie's town a shithole go against the spirit of Animal Crossing?

Marvie_3

Banned
How do the social aspects work? ie, My character visiting Marvie's shithole. Is there a FAQ or something?

Psssht....like I'd let you into my town.

Oh snap.

That reminds me, where's Smash?

Edit: neogaf still doesn't allow signing up with free email-providers, right?

Thankfully no. Otherwise we'd have 50 times as many Forza alts to deal with.

Heretic

THAT'S MY HEART YOU'RE MESSING WITH YOU SON OF A B!

LOL! I might pick up Animal Crossing. Still have Donkey Kong to finish then both Zelda Ages/Season that I've never actually played.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I was surprised how much I enjoyed digging for fossils, pulling weeds, and decorating my house was back when I played the Wii game.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So... when are we gonna start posting Nintendo Friend Codes in here and then shit in each others backyard?

Top Bottom