• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Quick

Banned
I know, I had one of them, doesn't seem the same though. They seem to take it much more seriously.

Considering that gaming side is gigantic compared to NHL-GAF, I think we did a pretty good job on that.

I didn't have a Nope/Hope avatar.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
lololol my name is on the back of the book of P4 for the PS2 version. Was a tester just out of college. Oh the stories I could tell...

I'm going to have to check and see if I still have the book with my copy. I hope P5 comes out soon. I wish SMTIV wasn't coming out for the 3DS. I might have to get the system.

Solo

How can ANY of you justify getting an X-boner now? Fuck Microsoft's bullshit. The 360 is a great console but they've gone fucking looney tunes. Hopefully Sony can restore some sanity with the PS4. But if they don't and they're also pushing this shit, looks like I'll be back to being a 100% PC gamer.

And Halo sucks and always has, so don't say because of Halo.

RE: Xboned talk

daM5Iz2.png

TUSR

Banned
How can ANY of you justify getting an X-boner now? Fuck Microsoft's bullshit. The 360 is a great console but they've gone fucking looney tunes. Hopefully Sony can restore some sanity with the PS4. But if they don't and they're also pushing this shit, looks like I'll be back to being a 100% PC gamer.

The whole Kinect thing creeps me out.

PC Gaming is where I will be until the PS4 gets some killer games like ZoE 3, MGS5, and a few others.

How can ANY of you justify getting an X-boner now? Fuck Microsoft's bullshit. The 360 is a great console but they've gone fucking looney tunes.

I am waiting to see what they show at E3 and also how the policies they have in place will work. My wife and I have 2 consoles and we buy 2 of each mp game that comes out, so if the XB1 will really let us share a single copy that is a huge feature. I also buy games on steam so I am used to always online and not being allowed to trade games in or lend them to a friend. If MS can really find a way to allow people to trade in digital games and lend them then it sounds like they will have a more fair system then what currently exists on PCs. It sucks that as consoles add more PC features they are also adding the shitty parts of PC gaming but I can live with it if it has great games. In the end that will be the main factor for me. I think the 360 had the best games this gen, and if the XB1 is going to have the best games next gen then I will grab one. I am sure Sony will have some great games as well so I am planing to get a PS4 as well.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Halo.

Like I have said before the policies don't effect me. If it bothers others I really don't give a shit. I like what I like. I'm older, I'm not trading shit to friends (they have there own disposable income). I don't trade a lot of games and my internet is almost never down (certainly not for 24hours). I'm not trying to be an apologist, I just don't care.

Halo 4 was great from every perspective that the mind is capable of taking in visually and aurally, but it was still amazingly simple in gameplay.

But yes, I agree with you to a certain extent.

Most of it is "old way" gamers refusing to give up their pagers for mobile phones. Actually, quite a lot of it is.

But with the 'game trading' issue it's very forbidding to students and younger folk who work part time jobs who like to buy games AND have a social life.

It's always been the case that you NEVER own the game you buy, you simply buy a single license to use it. Physical media has allowed that license restriction to always exist. But with the digital age coming into play it's becoming more increasingly obvious that they are nearly literally stamping your license (that you've had this whole time) to your identity (gamertag).

But hey, any Steam/PC gamer already knows the feeling.

The whole Kinect thing creeps me out.

Yes. After last fall's cam network hack. There was a thread here and a site you could look into people's security cams without them knowing. It has been a fear of mine. I don't cameras that are always on, it seems like something bad waiting to happen.

At least PS4 can go without being connected to the internet, ever. So it rules out the terrible Xbone "always check in."

Re:The Steam analogy,
Steam came in when PC gaming was dying and each publisher had their own terrible DRM for each game. What it did was make a marketplace and uniformed most DRM. The two are not the same, at all. Xbone is attempting to cut out consumer rights and the main marketplace (physical stores) to replace it with their own.

TUSR

Banned
Yes. After last fall's cam network hack. There was a thread here and a site you could look into people's security cams without them knowing. It has been a fear of mine. I don't cameras that are always on, it seems like something bad waiting to happen.

At least PS4 can go without being connected to the internet, ever. So it rules out the terrible Xbone "always check in."

Steam came in when PC gaming was dying and each publisher had their own terrible DRM for each game. What it did was make a marketplace and uniformed most DRM. The two are not the same, at all. Xbone is attempting to cut out consumer rights and the main marketplace (physical stores) to replace it with their own.

Only problem is that Steams market place and sales completely shit all over what Microsoft is "offering" (forcing) consumers.

Samyy

Halo.

Like I have said before the policies don't effect me. If it bothers others I really don't give a shit. I like what I like. I'm older, I'm not trading shit to friends (they have there own disposable income). I don't trade a lot of games and my internet is almost never down (certainly not for 24hours). I'm not trying to be an apologist, I just don't care.

He doesn't care if the industry is ruined for the rest of us along as he gets his
This is where someone in gaming side got it right. This is why MS will get away with it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Loving the Animal Crossing buy in here. I legit thought Marvie and I would be the only ones.

My copy has been preordered since June 2012. I'm ready.

Var

Yep. I held out on Steam until around 2008. When I bought my 9800 Pro back in 2003, it came with a redemption for HL2 on Steam you could use whenever they decided to release the game. I ended giving the code away because I didn't want to use Steam.

Only problem is that Steams market place and sales completely shit all over what Microsoft is "offering" (forcing) consumers.
Yup and Steam unified friends, and social aspects across PC gaming. Funny enough would never have happened if not for the Live model(Steam just requires a game even F2P to unlock it's services, not a subscription).

I agree that this is far more restrictive than Steam, but I'm kinda sick of this "consumer rights" bullshit. Caveat emptor. The consumer has the "right" to not purchase the thing. This isn't like some fundamental good like food we're talking about where we need to control prices so people can survive. It's entertainment, it's governed solely by market forces and people will pay for this crap so I'm not about to hold it against Microsoft. It's dumb consumers faults.

He doesn't care if the industry is ruined for the rest of us along as he gets his
This is where someone in gaming side got it right. This is why MS will get away with it.

Do you know who "the rest of us" are? Underagers, students and people with low income.

Corporations don't care about you because you won't willingly give over money.

Welcome to capitalist society.

Do I like it? Far from it, but that's what it is.

Samyy

Do you know who "the rest of us" are? Underagers, students and people with low income.

Corporations don't care about you because you won't willingly give over money.

Welcome to capitalist society.

Do I like it? Far from it, but that's what it is.

Hm I seem to recall a similar thing happening to the PS3. Over priced with shit games, no one bought the damn system and they were forced to rethink their strategy and look where they are now.

If no one buys the xbox MS will have to change their tune as well. I don't see it happening though.

Corporations may not give a shit about us but they need us to survive.

In the age of physical media, that was very much the case. Preowned and purchase-once-play-unlimited-times was the standard of content delivery.

Now welcome to the new age, where content is stored in a hybrid of physical AND digital, but all your ownership rights are kept on the cloud.

If you want it enough, you'll acquire it however you can.

If Johnny-5-hours-a-week-at-Dominos can't afford Gears Of Duty 12 then that doesn't matter, because there's 20 middle class manchild suits who will gladly pay that and the extra $40 for DLC.

These fuckwits have done their research for the past 5 years, and if you think the result of that is "Oh just keep doing what we're doing - we're all good!" then you're SERIOUSLY mistaken. This story does not have a happy ending for everybody.

Samyy

In the age of physical media, that was very much the case. Preowned and purchase-once-play-unlimited-times was the standard of content delivery.

Now welcome to the new age, where content is stored in a hybrid of physical AND digital, but all your ownership rights are kept on the cloud.

If you want it enough, you'll acquire it however you can.

As far as we now the PS4 wont be like that so there's still a chance to show them that's what we want.

Of course they probably haven't completely revealed their strategy so we will see.

I guess im just trying to be optimistic but your probably right.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I'm sorry Optimus "I didn't know who he was until PS4 conference" Cerny.

I have been gaming for a long ass time, and I'm still going to for a long time. That's not changing. Unless we have complete collapse of the internet, which if that happens we will have bigger problems. to be honest 10 years ago I probably would have issues with this, but things were a lot different 10 years ago. I'm learning to relax and let go. 20 years from now if for some reason I can't go back and play Forza 5, I'll get over it pretty quick.

Remember when we heard that Xbox 360 wasn't going to allow for dial-up modems and we all could've had a bigger whinge about it but our 33.6k connections wouldn't allow for Web 2.0?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Somewhere Call of Duty is to blame for all of this shit.

Aren't they the ones who introduced the season pass? Consumers gladly giving the $50 for nothing but the promise that they'll deliver content in the future that they may not even like.

Remember when we heard that Xbox 360 wasn't going to allow for dial-up modems and we all could've had a bigger whinge about it but our 33.6k connections wouldn't allow for Web 2.0?

I remember when MS said broadband only for the OG XBOX and people went nuts. So many posts about how XBL was doomed and broadband adoptions rates never being good enough in the US. It really is funny to watch the internet get in a thither about things like this.

TUSR

Banned
I remember when MS said broadband only for the OG XBOX and people went nuts. So many posts about how XBL was doomed and broadband adoptions rates never being good enough in the US. It really is funny to watch the internet get in a thither about things like this.

Arguing about video games and consoles is so... pointless.

Buy what you want and use it.

Pretty much.

Welcome to the 2013 version of the same thing.

Quick

Banned
Buy what you want and use it.

NO, TUSR, NO.

I have to let people know that the system I purchase is the superior system, and to make sure they don't forget it.

Don't try to bring your stupidity in this thread, TUSR. I'm on to you and your Xboner.

TUSR

Banned
NO, TUSR, NO.

I have to let people know that the system I purchase is the superior system, and to make sure they don't forget it.

Don't try to bring your stupidity in this thread, TUSR. I'm on to you and your Xboner.

I can play 64 hockey games + playoffs for the expected price of an XBoner.

Imagine a tinfoil hat conspiracy where the GUVVAMENT make video games so expensive and inaccessible that it forces kids and unemployed slackers to physically go outside and do things, like work or play sport, instead of play video games. Thereby being more productive to either society or themselves, mentally and physically.

Oh god, please let nobody from any activist group hear these ramblings.

Top Bottom