• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
We're arguing different things Smiley. I already acknowledged it was a weak argument on my part and modified it a bit in the quote you have up there which you didn't really respond to.

If you're arguing that this number>that number then great, you win! The Xbone has more exclusives. Technically I guess that wins. Which showed more games that I actually want to play? Sony. Which can I get for less money? The PS4. And it's not just that Sony showed indie games, they seem to be dedicated to them. Lorne Lanning was out there for fucks sake.

Care to respond to the Vita/tablet comparison you were so dismissive of? :p

Which will be different for everyone. I'm getting old for the console pissing matches, but whatever I guess. Both look great, imo, but Xbox is still my preferred choice since it has the games I want to play :p. 3rd party games will be strong on both, but I prefer Halo, Gears, Forza, etc. I got over Final Fantasy a long time ago, since the franchise is a shadow of what it used to be.

DRM I can see people being annoyed about, but people trumping the online always on stuff is funny. How often are you guys without internet? Also if you need to take your PS4 or Xbox One to the "cabin" that's sad.

Also people going on about there free PS+ games, which is solid, but newsflash you can't share those with your friends or trade them in (oh no!!), and once your subscription lapses they are gone correct?

And I agree with Spectre, they aren't even out yet and if people don't think both won't have great launches that's sad.

Var

19zPzEu.jpg

Flyers-Gaf represent!

both consoles are ugly.

dark souls 2 and witcher 3 are the titles that i'm interested in, so no need to get either yet. FROM's PS4 game might tempt me to get a PS4.

probably going to cancel my XBL gold sub. i need a DNA sample and a signed letter from the President to do that, right?

i could see getting an xbone down the road once the kids are in school and all their friends a peer-pressuring them into flailing around in front of the tv like spastic idiots.

PS4 is awesome, will acquire one this year.

Sidebar: the Killer Instinct "rape joke" thread makes me embarrassed to be on this message board. Pathetic. This manufactured outrage is just pathetic.
I have no idea what started this whole white knight epidemic. Though anyone who uses "misogyny" on a message board has been slotted to the fedora wearing, neck beard, OK Cupid "nice guy." I'm already done with hearing it for the year.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I have no idea what started this whole white knight epidemic. Though anyone who uses "misogyny" on a message board has been slotted to the fedora wearing, neck beard, OK Cupid "nice guy." I'm already done with hearing it for the year.

:lol might as well have that thread in the OT.

My real concern about the multiplayer pay wall is PSN+ not being the service it is today because everyone will need it so why bother with so many games or so many discounts? The inclusion of the launch title is an interesting hook, but I can't imagine it stays as good as it is today.

I honestly am not a fan of the DRM policy or the used game policy but it doesn't really effect me too much since I buy most games new now a days or when they drop in price though it is still extremely troubling (the DRM, not used games). The overall price also doesn't bother me as well since it makes sense (same price as launch day 360 plus a Kinect which of course gives us the 499). My main problem though is with having to have Kinect always connected and that the machine is not as powerful as the PS4 and is more expensive, so my bang for my buck is seriously crippled. If they had a version where there was no Kinect and was the same price as the PS4, I wouldn't have too much of a problem. I also do hate the PS controller, I know they fixed it up but idk, plus I have never had any luck with 3rd party controllers.

MS also needs to give me more incentives with Live. Now that PS+ is pretty much required and they seemed to have caught up in terms of features and added some (free games and such), Sony has actually listened and learned while MS has not. MS needs to show why Live has been the leading Online platform for consoles since it's debut and start possibly offering some of these extra game benefits and such that Sony has been doing.

Curufinwe

It's going to be hard for me to resist getting a Wii U just for Bayonetta 2.

I honestly am not a fan of the DRM policy or the used game policy but it doesn't really effect me too much since I buy most games new now a days or when they drop in price though it is still extremely troubling (the DRM, not used games). The overall price also doesn't bother me as well since it makes sense (same price as launch day 360 plus a Kinect which of course gives us the 499). My main problem though is with having to have Kinect always connected and that the machine is not as powerful as the PS4 and is more expensive, so my bang for my buck is seriously crippled.

That's exactly how I feel about it. I even like the way the Xbox One lets you install disc based games to the hard drive and then uses a 24 hour online check in place of the disc-in-the-drive DRM they use for the 360. But they were idiots not to allow the people out there with poor internet connections to play their single players games offline indefinitely if they kept the disc in the drive.

Hunter S.

It's going to be hard for me to resist getting a Wii U just for Bayonetta 2.
Did they upgrade her boobies to bigger or something?

On another note, the xbone does seem to havemgames , I just cannot share them and that is not cool. Third parties were always my big thing so PS4 by this holiday. Xbone maybe 3 years down the line.

Finally, everyone still thinks the Avs will pick Seth Jones First!!!!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
That was a weak E3 considering it was launching new consoles which both look like outdated shit. The only thing that intrigued me at all was Destiny.

calder

Oh for god's sake if you guys want to talk about gaming so much put on your big-boy pants and head over to the Gaming side and throw down for real. This simulated GAF next-gen discussion is stunting your growth, you'll never blister over your feelings in this hidden, insular colony. :p

That being said, I told you bitches PS4 would be cheaper.

Heretic

Gaf is back!

So here's the thing with MS:

The way they revealed the console was downright atrocious. They let the bad news cloud the benefits of what they're doing. Everyone is harping on the negatives without stopping to think about the positives or why they're doing it.

Sony went the traditional route while MS is headed towards the inevitable digital download future. This is the middle ground that we're in.

There are positives, or better yet, good reasons to all of the "dumb" moves that MS has made. People just don't want to see them.

People don't want change and that's completely acceptable.

Gaf is back!

So here's the thing with MS:

The way they revealed the console was downright atrocious. They let the bad news cloud the benefits of what they're doing. Everyone is harping on the negatives without stopping to think about the positives or why they're doing it.

Sony went the traditional route while MS is headed towards the inevitable digital download future. This is the middle ground that we're in.

There are positives, or better yet, good reasons to all of the "dumb" moves that MS has made. People just don't want to see them.

People don't want change and that's completely acceptable.

There's no positives to anything Microsoft is doing. It benefits only them.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Will you be able to install your game fully to the HD on the PS4? Personally I'm going to like not switching discs on the X1. Maximum laziness.

edit: also it is a business, otherwise Sony would have kept multiplayer for free. Obviously Sony did this as a chance to get the upper hand over Xbox. Do you truly believe Sony won't institute DRM on the next PS? Things are changing.

Just because the future is going to demand change within the console game market doesn't mean that any change at all is groundbreaking. Microsoft's taking a fucking TERRIBLE approach to this shit, and Sony is essentially launching without making that mistake but at the same time offering nothing towards changing for the future. Both platforms can and will change as time goes on, but Microsoft started with the most draconian bullshit possible. It's not just messaging with Microsoft though, I couldn't give a fuck about their peripheral features. The TV/Kinect shit is completely irrelevant to me.

Bu bu bu teh positives!

Heretic you sound like a gamespot poster who just discovered his penis. The Xbone is getting flak for plenty of good reasons, not because we are "teh blind sheeps".

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
There's no positives to anything Microsoft is doing. It benefits only them.

You see absolutely 0 benefit in what MS is doing? ... Do you use Steam?

I'm not gonna pretend it's customer-friendly, but there's definitely reasons for it. Some better than others.

Also, calder, gaming-gaf is atrocious.

You see absolutely 0 benefit in what MS is doing? ... Do you use Steam?

I'm not gonna pretend it's customer-friendly, but there's definitely reasons for it. Some better than others.

Steam is not remotely the same service, didn't come from the same place and doesn't have nearly the same terrible DRM policies as Microsoft has proposed. Terrible argument continues on.

Smiley90

Steam is not remotely the same service, didn't come from the same place and doesn't have nearly the same terrible DRM policies as Microsoft has proposed. Terrible argument continues on.

I didn't say it was the same, I just said that an all-digital future has similar benefits to Steam.

It's totally MS's fault for the way they're trying to do it being BS and the way they're messaging it is making it all worse, too. That and too many BS decisions coming together (DRM, always-on and privacy/kinect), they definitely deserve the backlash. Heck, it's the only reason I'm even considering getting a PS4 and I'm firmly pro-MS.

Full-digital future which MS clearly tries to go to has its advantages, though.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The Animal Crossing conversations you guys have sounds pretty weird if you don't what you're talking about.

Also anybody else looking forward to giving World of Tanks a go on the 360?

I didn't say it was the same, I just said that an all-digital future has similar benefits to Steam.

It's totally MS's fault for the way they're trying to do it being BS and the way they're messaging it is making it all worse, too. That and too many BS decisions coming together (DRM, always-on and privacy/kinect), they definitely deserve the backlash. Heck, it's the only reason I'm even considering getting a PS4 and I'm firmly pro-MS.

Full-digital future which MS clearly tries to go to has its advantages, though.

Full-digital future won't happen during this generation. It's forward thinking to design a console around that concept, but the way they've designed the XBone is a completely terrible take on what an all-digital console should resemble. I welcome change, I want consoles to move forward. Microsoft's vision of how to change consoles is fucking bleak and awful.

calder

Also, calder, gaming-gaf is atrocious.

Yeah, so thanks for bringing the atrocious here. :p This is supposed to be a sacred place were we can heal after playoff disappointments (or non-playoff disappointments as it were) and subtly troll Leaf fans with random comments about regression to the mean and unrelated questions about Kadri's shooting percentage this year. Wholesome shit like that.

Smiley90

Full-digital future won't happen during this generation. It's forward thinking to design a console around that concept, but the way they've designed the XBone is a completely terrible take on what an all-digital console should resemble. I welcome change, I want consoles to move forward. Microsoft's vision of how to change consoles is fucking bleak and awful.

Agreed. I like what they tried to do, but the way they're doing it is awful and very anti-consumer. Hence the deserved backlash. Which sucks, because they have a damn good lineup of games that's being overshadowed by rightul complaining about awful console design.

Heretic

Please don't compare Microsoft s bullshit to Steam.

I compare it to PC gaming. When was the last time you were able to borrow or rent PC games? MS is at least giving you the ability to trade and borrow. Sure there are restriction but you can't have it both ways and MS is trying its best to accommodate that.

The features that MS has implemented in the XOne can't be done without these restrictions. Times are changing and Sony decided to stay in place which the majority of the gamers are ok with.

You need to have restrictions when having every game that you will purchase on the cloud. Easily accessible from anybody's XOne without the need of discs. Every game will be automatically installed at that's one of the best console features of this gen. No longer swapping disc will be huge. Just like automatic windows in your car.

Socreges

Banned
NHL-GAF is like a microcosm of GAF. We discuss all big news in here now (insular!). Reminds me of old GAF before it got so big that you wouldn't recognize anyone.

Dammit, I have cherries as well. But I'll leave my gate open though I'll be away.
Got kicked out but your town theme is pretty sweet.

Montresor

You guys are level-headed and yeah, MS is being hated on for legitimate reasons, but the discussions on gaming side have become unbearably toxic.

Do you remember the day before E3 when CBOAT made that post that made everyone think Xbox One's DRM is much worse than we think it is? The speculation was that Gold would be mandatory to play all games. And so the floodgates opened and from one flimsy rumour came 20 pages of venomous posts calling MS evil, saying fuck em, etc... etc... What really happened? Instead they announced a PSN+ style service for Gold members starting this July... and now everyone in your family gets your Gold membership for free.

And don't forget the people outraged at the "rape" joke at the Killer Instinct reveal. God fuck gaming side.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a fanboy, but I get why people dislike/hate the Xbox One. Me? I'm soooo hyped beyond belief for this thing. Yesterday made all my wet dreams come true. I'm someone who doesn't care much about the DRM and I'm much more interested in the OS, multitasking, speech recognition, and games games games games games. Microsoft killed it with games yesterday.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Having to pay over $1000 for a machine that will be outdated in 3 years isn't master race.

The Halo trailer looked great, but seeing the Chief wearing a robe is hilarious in a bad way, what a stupid design decision. There's no way to justify a guy in that armour wearing that.

Heretic

I agree with Montresor. I'd rather discuss it here while there's little to discuss NHL-wise and with more level headed people and those that aren't level headed (Solo), at least we're NHL buds and it won't get to a point where we'll get banned.

I'm not dismissing the hate. I just like to take the "chill out and let's look at all sides of the coin" approach.

Having to pay over $1000 for a machine that will be outdated in 3 years isn't master race.

The Halo trailer looked great, but seeing the Chief wearing a robe is hilarious in a bad way, what a stupid design decision. There's no way to justify a guy in that armour wearing that.

You're thinking too much into it. It's completely obvious why they did it. Besides, who knows how much damage sand can do when it gets into the nick and crannies of your MJOLNIR armor...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are level-headed and yeah, MS is being hated on for legitimate reasons, but the discussions on gaming side have become unbearably toxic.

Do you remember the day before E3 when CBOAT made that post that made everyone think Xbox One's DRM is much worse than we think it is? The speculation was that Gold would be mandatory to play all games. And so the floodgates opened and from one flimsy rumour came 20 pages of venomous posts calling MS evil, saying fuck em, etc... etc... What really happened? Instead they announced a PSN+ style service for Gold members starting this July... and now everyone in your family gets your Gold membership for free.

And don't forget the people outraged at the "rape" joke at the Killer Instinct reveal. God fuck gaming side.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a fanboy, but I get why people dislike/hate the Xbox One. Me? I'm soooo hyped beyond belief for this thing. Yesterday made all my wet dreams come true. I'm someone who doesn't care much about the DRM and I'm much more interested in the OS, multitasking, speech recognition, and games games games games games. Microsoft killed it with games yesterday.

Bro-fist

I'm really excited for the console, but I don't shit on people who want a PS4 either. Both have excellent game lineups. Probably looking forward to TitanFall, Forza and Quantum Break the most.

Solo

I am level headed, Heretic. I have an X-Box and a 360 and loved them both. But only the most willfully ignorant fanboy would not call Microsoft on their X-Boner bullshit. It's anti-consumer and hurts the industry. Sony is no saint, but they've thoroughly ragdolled MS here. X-Boner and what it entails = the beginning of the end.

I compare it to PC gaming. When was the last time you were able to borrow or rent PC games? MS is at least giving you the ability to trade and borrow. Sure there are restriction but you can't have it both ways and MS is trying its best to accommodate that.

The features that MS has implemented in the XOne can't be done without these restrictions. Times are changing and Sony decided to stay in place which the majority of the gamers are ok with.

You need to have restrictions when having every game that you will purchase on the cloud. Easily accessible from anybody's XOne without the need of discs. Every game will be automatically installed at that's one of the best console features of this gen. No longer swapping disc will be huge. Just like automatic windows in your car.

The restrictions that Microsoft has placed on their console certainly exist on Steam in some way but they are far more punishing to the consumer and that is why everyone has thrown their arms in the air. You may as well be reading from their handbook with posts like this. And saying that Sony is staying in the past is horseshit, especially since they've done a better job of providing day one digital releases than Microsoft has the past couple of years.

There are ways of implementing these systems without ass fucking the paying customer the way Microsoft has. THAT is the issue at hand, not some fucking brush-it-off this-is-the-future-deal-with-it crap you're trying spoon feed us between Bill Gates wank sessions.

Guys, we can't let console bickering tear at the fabric of our sacred sub-community.

Did anyone else take advantage of the Futureshop.ca pre-order deal? Order 3 $60 games, get $20 off each. I just put in an order for The Last of Us, The Bureau, and GTA5. There are Xbone and PS4 titles included in this deal as well, though not many.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I am level headed, Heretic. I have an X-Box and a 360 and loved them both. But only the most willfully ignorant fanboy would not call Microsoft on their X-Boner bullshit. It's anti-consumer and hurts the industry. Sony is no saint, but they've thoroughly ragdolled MS here. X-Boner and what it entails = the beginning of the end.

Meh, doesn't hurt me. Sorry if you feel you are getting boned. I used to be concerned about physical media. Time moves on. Like I said earlier if for some reason I can't play Forza 5 in 20 years I will get over it.

edit: so many of these games have significant online components that the 24 hour check is almost moot. I can't remember the last time my internet was down for a couple hours let alone a day.

Top Bottom