• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT| Celebrate Good Times Come On

Solo

Meh, doesn't hurt me. Sorry if you feel you are getting boned. I used to be concerned about physical media. Time moves on. Like I said earlier if for some reason I can't play Forza 5 in 20 years I will get over it.

It's not just the physical media stuff (although that is fucking ludicrous). The bigger issue is all the big brother shit going on with it.

Taken from the Gaming side, some quotes by some high-level MS guy:

Keighley:"Did you know or did you anticipate the way the people would push back?"
Mattrick:"Absolutely - it's a super passionate community of people... till you use it [Xbox One] it's really hard to understand what all the advantages are."

Mattrick: "Xbox has been created by gamers for gamers."

Mattrick: "Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called xbox 360"

Mattrick: "The avarage internet connection is working the majority of the day - people are imagining that it isn't... It's change. There was a point in time when people would say all i want my phone to do is make a phonecall."

Yikes! There are better ways to do damage control and market your product!

Razorskin

----- ------
NHL-GAF is like a microcosm of GAF. We discuss all big news in here now (insular!). Reminds me of old GAF before it got so big that you wouldn't recognize anyone.

Got kicked out but your town theme is pretty sweet.

Yeah weird, my internet did it's best GAF server impression I suppose?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
You're thinking too much into it. It's completely obvious why they did it. Besides, who knows how much damage sand can do when it gets into the nick and crannies of your MJOLNIR armor...
:lol

The always connected the Internet thing doesn't bother me, I'm literally always connected, the only problem will be if your Internet goes down for whatever reason.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I won't be getting an Xbox one, and will only be getting a PS4 if there are a bunch of third party games skipping the PC. I don't buy many games anymore, so I shouldn't be missing out too much, haven't felt bad skipping some of the AAA stuff this gen.

Heretic

The restrictions that Microsoft has placed on their console certainly exist on Steam in some way but they are far more punishing to the consumer and that is why everyone has thrown their arms in the air. You may as well be reading from their handbook with posts like this. And saying that Sony is staying in the past is horseshit, especially since they've done a better job of providing day one digital releases than Microsoft has the past couple of years.

There are ways of implementing these systems without ass fucking the paying customer the way Microsoft has. THAT is the issue at hand, not some fucking brush-it-off this-is-the-future-deal-with-it crap you're trying spoon feed us between Bill Gates wank sessions.

I'm not defending anything that they're doing. I don't agree with always online even though it doesn't bother me. I don't agree with DRM even though it doesn't bother me. I understand the "push back" that it's getting but I certainly don't want it to fail like everyone else does.

The direction they're heading unfortunately has restrictions. How else can you have all your games accessible to you from any console without have these restrictions in place? What's to stop me from downloading my game and and then passing it on so someone else can download it?

Maybe I'm giving MS too much credit here but I see the vision as the focal point and the restrictions as an unfortunate necessity rather than the other way around.

I don't think... I hope they didn't sit there and think, "Let's fuck over the consumer by having so and so restriction" but instead thought, "Let's do all of these cool things and give them access to their games everyone" then sat down and laid out the rules.

Am I too naive? Probably. Maybe it's cause I'm getting it despite all of this can I see the good rather than focus on the bad. But this plays Halo and TitanFall and Quantum Break, and all of other cool games that they showed.

Dang it MS, maybe they'll realize their mistake sooner rather than later... yeah right, guess I can always wait and just clear out that back log on 360 for a while until they start losing a boat load of money and they realize why people are having a problem with them.

Acid08

Banned
I haven't commented on Sony having paid for online yet. Tbh I didn't expect it to continue to be free but it still is kind of disappointing. At least the PS+ benefits will be rolled into it and not kept as a separate service. Stoked for free Driveclub.

I paid for XBL for years and never really regretted it. They had the best service out there on console. Now I hope Sony can offer something on par with MS and hopefully exceeding it with the added PS+ value. Never having to deal with some of the crap that PSN was before would be great.

Still super excited for the console after the glow of that great E3 moment have worn off. Even though their relatives are lesser in number right now I'm not really worried about it going forward. Sony always brings it with exclusives.

More sad that The Last Guardian is on hiatus now. I still believe :(

Curufinwe

Anyone else here have PSN+? XCOM just became free and I'm contemplating whether to play it again after loving the 360 version a couple of months ago.

Hey Acid, Yoshida claims TLG isn't really on hiatus. Tretton might have misspoke.

Solo

The other reason I'm going PS4 that has been lost in all this DRM stuff.... the specs. That is a beast of a piece of hardware. PS3 had bar none the best exclusive's this gen, and while MS certainly showed more exclusives at E3, I have no doubt that my mind will be blown when guys like Naughty Dog crank out Uncharted 4 or whatever on PS4.

Dat 8GB GDDR5!

jaybeeze

The Halo trailer looked great, but seeing the Chief wearing a robe is hilarious in a bad way, what a stupid design decision. There's no way to justify a guy in that armour wearing that.

Frankie's already stated in the Community thread that he's wearing it to disguise himself, not to protect his armor.

Plus it worked out great im terms of not revealing what the game was until the very end and surprising people in spectacular fashion.

Acid08

Banned
Frankie's already stated in the Community thread that he's wearing it to disguise himself, not to protect his armor.

Plus it worked out great im terms of not revealing what the game was until the very end and surprising people in spectacular fashion.
Is announcing a new Halo game really that shocking? It was a good teaser though.

The other reason I'm going PS4 that has been lost in all this DRM stuff.... the specs. That is a beast of a piece of hardware. PS3 had bar none the best exclusive's this gen, and while MS certainly showed more exclusives at E3, I have no doubt that my mind will be blown when guys like Naughty Dog crank out Uncharted 4 or whatever on PS4.

Dat 8GB GDDR5!

Very, very debatable, my PS3 is pretty much just a Naughty Dog Machine and that is it, there was really nothing else exclusive that I wanted for PS3, I just own all 3 Uncharted's and will get The Last of Us once it drops in price.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Gaf servers were more stable yesterday than today, madness.

Best part of the E3 in 45 minutes: Pokemon X&Y Nintendo Direct.

Heretic

I haven't commented on Sony having paid for online yet. Tbh I didn't expect it to continue to be free but it still is kind of disappointing. At least the PS+ benefits will be rolled into it and not kept as a separate service. Stoked for free Driveclub.

I paid for XBL for years and never really regretted it. They had the best service out there on console. Now I hope Sony can offer something on par with MS and hopefully exceeding it with the added PS+ value. Never having to deal with some of the crap that PSN was before would be great.

Still super excited for the console after the glow of that great E3 moment have worn off. Even though their relatives are lesser in number right now I'm not really worried about it going forward. Sony always brings it with exclusives.

More sad that The Last Guardian is on hiatus now. I still believe :(
The Last Guardian is still on!

PS+ is a great service. Pays for itself.

Curufinwe

Very, very debatable, my PS3 is pretty much just a Naughty Dog Machine and that is it, there was really nothing else exclusive that I wanted for PS3, I just own all 3 Uncharted's and will get The Last of Us once it drops in price.

It's all personal preference but Wipeout HD was why I got a PS3 a year before getting a 360.

Anyone else here have PSN+? XCOM just became free and I'm contemplating whether to play it again after loving the 360 version a couple of months ago.

I'll have it later on this evening. I enjoyed the PC version on the whole, but I didn't like how Firaxis added a fixed narrative.

Socreges

Banned
Wait, have they actually said something about TLG?

And Nintendo's conference sucked. No ambition whatsoever. Their biggest reveals were extremely standard. I can't see myself getting a Wii U anytime soon now.

Did they even show anything new for the 3DS?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So... how about dat inFamous?

No gameplay makes a gamer sad.

It's all personal preference but Wipeout HD was why I got a PS3 a year before getting a 360.

Basically, yeah. That's heavily personal preference, the same way I'd say MS had the better exclusives last gen and has the better exclusives announced for next gen.

And Nintendo's conference sucked. No ambition whatsoever. Their biggest reveals were extremely standard. I can't see myself getting a Wii U anytime soon now.

Nothing new for 3DS and I think only Donkey Kong new for the Wii U... Wasn't Bayonetta already announced? Not sure.

3DS only got a couple new trailers. More important Pokemon Nintendo Direct in 30mins :p

Samyy

Yea Shuhei said Trenton has no idea whats going on with the game and confirmed it was actively in development, waiting for a good time to reveal. Im assuming next year E3 or TGS.

Once again, I thought MS had a great conference games wise and was much better than what Sony offered, it was that last 20 minutes though with the price and the no DRM speech that really made them a winner in most people's eyes. Still MS showed games and did a great job (much better than Sony) at it despite audio troubles for some, but they failed to clarify anything at all on DRM/Used Games and are feeling the heat once again because of a really stupid decision.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Smash Bros.

Their stream was atrocious, I missed most of the games they announced the first time through. I'm still hyped for the games now though, but they did absolutely nothing for the skeptics, and it boggles my mind they didn't do a price drop, but I guess they could be holding off until later. No way should they have the Wii U on shelves only $50 less than a PS4.

Acid08

Banned
No gameplay makes a gamer sad.

Basically, yeah. That's heavily personal preference, the same way I'd say MS had the better exclusives last gen and has the better exclusives announced for next gen.

Nothing new for 3DS and I think only Donkey Kong new for the Wii U... Wasn't Bayonetta already announced? Not sure.

3DS only got a couple new trailers. More important Pokemon Nintendo Direct in 30mins :p
Is the Pokemon conference being streamed?

Samyy

Im excited for the Order, not many people seem to be talking about it on GAF but Ready At Dawn is a pretty damn good studio.

Also monster hunting in Steampunk London sounds like a good time, I expect gameplay at Gamescom pls :(

Solo

The only games E3 got me hyped for were Witcher 3, Mirror's Edge 2, and, despite my better judgment, MGS5. Ugh.

Socreges

Banned
Yea Shuhei said Trenton has no idea whats going on with the game and confirmed it was actively in development, waiting for a good time to reveal. Im assuming next year E3 or TGS.
Bumped to PS4, I'd guess? Works for me.

Smash Bros.

Their stream was atrocious, I missed most of the games they announced the first time through. I'm still hyped for the games now though, but they did absolutely nothing for the skeptics, and it boggles my mind they didn't do a price drop, but I guess they could be holding off until later. No way should they have the Wii U on shelves only $50 less than a PS4.
They won't announce a holiday price drop until the Fall.

And did they actually show the 3DS Smash?

Mario 3D World will probably be great, but it just looks like the same old NSMB shit but on a different plane.

Acid08

Banned
Once again, I thought MS had a great conference games wise and was much better than what Sony offered, it was that last 20 minutes though with the price and the no DRM speech that really made them a winner in most people's eyes. Still MS showed games and did a great job (much better than Sony) at it despite audio troubles for some, but they failed to clarify anything at all on DRM/Used Games and are feeling the heat once again because of a really stupid decision.
What do you mean failed to clarifiy? They laid out their exact policies before E3.

Top Bottom