• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT2| The Teemu Selanne Sweepstakes

yyzjohn

Banned
You guys are surprisingly supportive of Ryan. I'd be much more bitter.

Why would they be? It's not like Ryan left of his own free will as a free agent, he was traded. Not like he had much say in the move and the Ducks got back some promising young talent.

You guys are surprisingly supportive of Ryan. I'd be much more bitter.

They still have the cup win over us.

tumblr_l9i4abLVeD1qc073co1_400.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 15m

With Franson signing, last stalemate is with Derek Stepan. Word is deal is "getting closer," with two sides "grinding down" to final number.

Here's the thing. Stepan MUST be signed by Monday in order to be able to put Hagelin on LTIR. There is now an expiration date on the deal.

Because my math is terrible at 8am and that would leave no backup goalie so it'd be 4 lines of 2 + 1 extra (go away clarkson)

That and outside of moving the center to defense, it looks like the trap

Just allows for better D pinching as the center has to cover the pinch anyways...

No, I meant more in areas like the last minute of play or something.

6 on 5.

Put your best three D and two centres.

Osorio

Schneider making another start tonight. Marty has a family emergency in Montreal.

Jagr will be an extra tonight saying he hasn't had enough practice with his teammates to play. No shit. That's what pre-season is for.

Solo

8 players sent back to Hamilton. Tinordi and Bournival not among them.

My gut feeling is that Bournival is the last guy cut and Tinordi makes the team.

Merguson

Banned
So much for the Leafs being unable to sign both Kadri and Franson. Well, both are signed. Oh and we've got this Mason Raymond guy as well.

I figured Franson was a goner but I was wrong. Pretty much ready for the season, except for Clarkson and his 10-game suspension.

On the downside, we pretty much have the entire blueline to sign next year except for Gunnarsson and Liles.

So much for the Leafs being unable to sign both Kadri and Franson. Well, both are signed. Oh and we've got this Mason Raymond guy as well.

I figured Franson was a goner but I was wrong. Pretty much ready for the season, except for Clarkson and his 10-game suspension.

On the downside, we pretty much have the entire blueline to sign next year except for Gunnarsson and Liles.

I'd say top priority now is signing Kessel to a long term contract. I hope they get that done...I can't wait til the end of the season to see if he will be a Leaf or not.

LevelNth

Banned
I'd say top priority now is signing Kessel to a long term contract. I hope they get that done...I can't wait til the end of the season to see if he will be a Leaf or not.
Just give him 8 at 8 and be done with it Nonis!

Also, I strolled over to that Pension Plan Puppets or whichever site... wowza, those guys just straight up hate the leafs lol. Every single thing is a negative, Corsi this Corsi that, and also Grabovski is the greatest centre in the world.

What a depressing place.

yyzjohn

Banned

Also, I strolled over to that Pension Plan Puppets or whichever site... wowza, those guys just straight up hate the leafs lol. Every single thing is a negative, Corsi this Corsi that, and also Grabovski is the greatest centre in the world.

What a depressing place.

Yeah there's many idiots over there. They treat those advanced stats as if hockey is the same as baseball. Advanced stats in hockey aren't as easily applied as they are in baseball where it'a always a 1 on 1 situation of pitcher vs. batter. There are so many different factors in a free flowing game of hockey you can't just look at a corsi stat and dub a guy the best player in the league.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Yeah there's many idiots over there. They treat those advanced stats as if hockey is the same as baseball. Advanced stats in hockey aren't as easily applied as they are in baseball where it'a always a 1 on 1 situation of pitcher vs. batter. There are so many different factors in a free flowing game of hockey you can't just look at a corsi stat and dub a guy the best player in the league.

It's the one thing that really irks me about James Mirtle is how much he relies on corsi and those other advanced stats.

It's definitely the future where we'll be using this stuff to really understand how good a player is but it's still got a way to go.

Mirtle to me is definitely one of the few Leafs reporters I actually enjoy to read as other then pushing corsi he is very honest in his writings about the team.

Simmons and Feschuk though can rot for all I care.

Rattie, Jaskin, Andronov, Aucoin, Hakanpaa, Edmundson and Allen have been assigned to the Chicago Wolves

Allen will be back up before long I think. Cracknell will go through waivers Sunday.

Leopold back with Shattenkirk.

jaybeeze

Torts just confirmed Booth is playing tonight saying, "I'm dying to see him play." Aren't we fucking all.

Schroeder is out for 3 weeks, probably meaning whichever rookie has a strong game tonight will most likely stick with the club.

Excited for this game. Really the only preseason game that matters. And it's on TSN too, yay.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

What a depressing place.
???

You missed the hyperbolic WE ARE GOING TO HAVE THE HIGHEST SCORING D IN THE LEAGUE???

He basically says that losing Kosta and Komi will help wonders. Says that Kostka dragged Phaneuf's numbers down.

Maybe you caught them on a bad day, but they're usually optimism mixed with hype.

And Nonis made some boneheaded moves this off season. At least we can end the Kadri/Franson gong show and we can move forward.

Corsi has something like a 55% correlation to Win%. It's a useful stat for measuring puck possession, but that's about it.

I think almost all Stanley Cup Winners of the past 10+ years had very good possession numbers. I saw a real neat graph on it some time ago, can't find it now.

Teams that have the puck more than their opponent tend to win more often than not.

Obviously there's other factors like luck and a hot goalie in the other net but I think it's the closest stat that correlates to winning right now.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Torts just confirmed Booth is playing tonight saying, "I'm dying to see him play." Aren't we fucking all.

Schroeder is out for 3 weeks, probably meaning whichever rookie has a strong game tonight will most likely stick with the club.

Excited for this game. Really the only preseason game that matters. And it's on TSN too, yay.

Kind of hoping Torts tries Shinkaruk with the Sedins. My best hope/guess for the lineup though:

Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Higgins-Horvat-Shinkaruk
Santorelli-Richardson-Gaunce

Horvat&Shinkaruk have chemistry from Juniors you'd hope/think. Alternatively, switch Hansen and Shinkaruk.

Hard to believe that we have 4 rookies all with a decent shot at making the team, wow. (The 3 forwards and Corrado)

Corsi/Fenwick have been recorded over the past six years, and in that time period both Pittsburgh and Boston won with middling regular season possession numbers.

When you look at the one outlier who won the Stanley Cup, you also notice that there was a major change that occurred during that season which creates enough noise to skew the result. The 2009 Penguins are the only team to buck the odds as a non +.500 fenwick team, but their .499 was .549 under Dan Bylsma and has been no lower than .531 since.

Good possession teams tend to make the playoffs and go far it seems.

If you're a bad possession team you basically are hoping for a miracle run because the odds aren't in your favor that you will go far.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So Leafs-GAF I did say not to worry bout Franson and Kadri's contracts at the start of the offseason.

Bask in my glow!

Top Bottom