• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2013 |OT2| The Teemu Selanne Sweepstakes

calder

NFL paid $765 million settlement in their concussion lawsuit

Holy shit

Holy shit is right, my first thought was "if they settled for 3/4 of a billion what result were they worried about?" and sure enough ESPN's story told me:

Conservative estimates assessed the league's potential liability at more than $2 billion, a total that struck fear among owners and gave rise to Armageddon scenarios that threatened the existence of the league.

Now, for about a third of that conservative estimate, the league has settled the case before its dirty laundry was aired in court and without admitting any guilt.

Daaaamn. NHL's day of reckoning is coming too I bet.

except that's not true. LTTP was a good game. OOT/MM/etc/etc/etc was fucking vomit

gsd3D55.gif

fallout

Zelda discussions never end well.
Ha. So true.

except that's not true. LTTP was a good game. OOT/MM/etc/etc/etc was fucking vomit
I think my biggest issue with OoT was the field of nothing, but the dungeon design was fantastic. As for MM, it still bothers me that no other game has built on its formula of time travel (outside of maybe roguelikes?). Having such a fleshed out town with more to discover and resolve on each cycle was really satisfying. It really cleans up a lot of the pacing problems with story-driven video games, where things are stretched out over long periods with nothing happening.

As for etc. ... well, whatever. The strength of Zelda games are the dungeons and I really feel that they've only gotten better with time (although I haven't played a Zelda game since Spirit Tracks).

Erdrick

Nintendo's 2 "new" Zelda games.

One that looks like a mod for A Link To The Past, and quite ugly compared to the lost art of spritework than Nintendo has long since abandoned in favour of plygons. Another is an upscaled port of a Gamecube game that a lot of people hated due to the meandering aspect of the lovely Triforce hunt. Oh, and I can play in First Person? Wow.

Now, say one never played Wind Waker, I guess that would be a perfectly good way to play it. But I already have. Bundling a decade old game and modding a 2 decade old game is even worse. I wanted some new Zelda games. What I got were less than impressive.

It's not like Nintendo is incapable of making good Zelda games still. Skyward Sword was a lot of fun for me, and TP, while kind of boring and by the numbers, was still by no means, unplayable.

I'm clearly not in Nintendo's age market, but C'mon Nintendo... You can do so much better than this... (Or maybe they can't anymore? Who knows?)

P.S. Majora's Mask and Link's Awakening are the 2 best Zelda games ever.

P.P.S. So the Jets signed some kid who was WHL player of the year? That can't hurt, I guess.

Erdrick

I kind of agree with Dopey. While I wont say the game was "vomit", It sure underwhelmed me upon release. I was like:

-Why is everything so blurry?
-Why is the music terrible? (Where the hell was the main overworld theme?
-The world is so huge but why does it feel so empty?
-It's a retread of A Link To The Past with a new visual perspective. I was tiring of the same old thing at that point.
-I waited half a decade for THIS?

I was used to games on the PS and Saturn that had actual good music and graphics that were not like viewing life from a drunk person's standpoint. Going from FFVII and Metal Gear Solid to that? A huge step back, at least it felt like that for me.

Now, don't get me wrong, that was only my first real impression when I started the game. As the years went by, I really came to appreciate it aside from the flaws I felt it had.

-The dungeon design is superb.
-Always loved the water effects in Nintendo games. Zelda was no exception.
-The music did grow on me eventually, but man, most N64 games had such lousy sound. Compared to the SNES, I felt it was so underwhelming.
-I always like when games do day/night cycles, and this was the first Zelda one to use that mechanic.
-The time travel mechanic was a nice riff off of the whole Light/Dark thing from ALTTP

I was glad to see that Nintendo fixed a lot of my issues with the game with the superior Majora's Mask.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
From this we can conclude that it was sometime during the N64 era that Microsoft brainwashed Dopey. He has been their undercover agent ever since.

Fun fact: I became a playstation and PC fan after:

1) killer instinct 2 port (gold) was annihilated
2) Zelda was mauled
3) metroid became an ignored franchise
4) WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO TO STAR FOX

It was like they took all my favorite franchises and shit on them.

Then I saw a nifty ad (don't ask)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwhc8r54gxU

And was liek omg I want playstation

Acid08

Banned
A lot of the love for OoT depends on nostalgia at this point. I don't think OoT is the best Zelda but it accomplished a lot of amazing stuff when it came out. The open world, 3D dungeon designs, cinematic cutscenes. It was one of those games that was perfect at the time for a certain group of people. Erdrick is obviously a crotchety old fart so he wasn't impressed at the time because he was too used to his 2D Zelda.

FF7 is in a similar situation now. It changed everything the FF franchise would be going forward and was fucking revolutionary at the time. The old timers now look back on it as the beginning of the end whereas my generation sees it as one of the greatest games of all time. And hell, it's probably my favorite game ever. Then when I went back and played the 2D FF games I was still able to appreciate how amazing they are, same with the Zelda games. FF7 also holds up a lot better than OoT does imo, although the great 3DS remake kinda negates that.

Anyway my top 3 Zelda games are LttP, Link's Awakening, and Wind Waker with Majora's Mask close behind.

Heretic

So many quotes... Here it goes!

Chiming in on this debate: the last good Zelda game was LTTP
WRONG

I've only ever played one Zelda game and that was Link's Awakening.
Easily in the Top 3 for me

Lol!

Is that the one with the giant egg on the cover of the game box? Because if it is, no spoilers! I JUST began playing the game using one of those Super Gameboy cartridges on the SNES.
It is and you're in for a treat! Great game.

I don't even...

This.

Dopey , you have made enemies on this day.
He has :(

Come at me bros
Don't make me, Dopey! I agree with a lot of similar thing with you... don't break that bond!

Dude OoT was a fantastic game. I really dont see how you can call it vomit. The world was so much fun to explore, there were so many different things to do in that game. That game was like a love letter to Zelda fans.
I agree

LttP2 should not exist. Give us more sprite based 2D games.
I agree about the 2D part. I'll give this LTTP2 a shot though.

This is the truth, right here.
I don't know what you quoted but I'll disagree just for the hell of it!

A lot of the love for OoT depends on nostalgia at this point. I don't think OoT is the best Zelda but it accomplished a lot of amazing stuff when it came out. The open world, 3D dungeon designs, cinematic cutscenes. It was one of those games that was perfect at the time for a certain group of people. Erdrick is obviously a crotchety old fart so he wasn't impressed at the time because he was too used to his 2D Zelda.

FF7 is in a similar situation now. It changed everything the FF franchise would be going forward and was fucking revolutionary at the time. The old timers now look back on it as the beginning of the end whereas my generation sees it as one of the greatest games of all time. And hell, it's probably my favorite game ever. Then when I went back and played the 2D FF games I was still able to appreciate how amazing they are, same with the Zelda games. FF7 also holds up a lot better than OoT does imo, although the great 3DS remake kinda negates that.

Anyway my top 3 Zelda games are LttP, Link's Awakening, and Wind Waker with Majora's Mask close behind.
OoT is an instant classic. Nostalgia or otherwise. It's a great game that I can play over and over and over again.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
EA's 20-11 rated players:

20. J. Tavares (NYI) – OVR 89

19. J. Thornton (SJS) – OVR 90

18. M. Gaborik (CBJ) – OVR 90

17. R. Nash (NYR) – OVR 90

16. C. Price (MTL) – OVR 90

15. A. Pietrangelo (STL) – OVR 90

14. H. Zetterberg (DET) – OVR 90

13. C. Giroux (PHI) – OVR 90

12. D. Keith (CHI) – OVR 90

11. H. Lundqvist (NYR) – OVR 91

Who's missing?

Tavares only at 20 is a bit surprising oO.

Obviously Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Stamkos, Datsyuk and Ovi are still missing.. who else? I'm missing 4. I'm a bit disappointed Kesler didn't even make the top50... and I don't think he's in the top10. Then to be fair, he DID have an injury-plagued year so he probably got notched down for that.

Price as the second-best goalie in the game... riiiiiiiiiight. Sure thing EA. (assuming no goalie has a higher rating than Lundqvist, which they really shouldn't have)

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER

Who's missing?

Obviously Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Stamkos, Datsyuk and Ovi are still missing.. who else? I'm missing 4. I'm a bit disappointed Kesler didn't even make the top50... and I don't think he's in the top10. Then to be fair, he DID have an injury-plagued year so he probably got notched down for that.

Price as the second-best goalie in the game... riiiiiiiiiight. Sure thing EA. (assuming no goalie has a higher rating than Lundqvist, which they really shouldn't have)

Kinda low for JT, but he's still breaking out. He'll be a mid 90's guy next year I bet.

That Price rating seems a smidge too high...

Avs should upgrade their jerseys next.

I agree, our logo and colors are fine, but our jersey is awful, though not nearly the worst as ESPN says. The apron stripes that a lot of the jerseys had when Reebok took over were mostly phased out by teams, except for us for some reason. They need to bring the mountain border back on the bottom, but not the arms as I think that made the jerseys look small and boxed in before. Something like this.
COL-Road.png

As opposed to this.
Colorado.png

Marvie_3

Banned
I agree, our logo and colors are fine, but our jersey is awful, though not nearly the worst as ESPN says. The apron stripes that a lot of the jerseys had when Reebok took over were mostly phased out by teams, except for us for some reason. They need to bring the mountain border back on the bottom, but not the arms as I think that made the jerseys look small and boxed in before. Something like this.

The alternates posted in that link would be awesome. Just get rid of the lettering and put the Avs logo on the front instead.

0618-danieldougherty-col2.png

Curufinwe

Same here.

I didn't like it and never bothered with any other Zelda.

My only Zelda was Phantom Hourglass on the DS which I played for a couple of hours and got bored of. I was a Master System/Amiga/Megadrive/PlayStation kid growing up so I never played most of the big Nintendo games.

Who's missing?

Weber, Quick, Rask and Chara?

Top Bottom