• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Var

The issue for the Rangers will be managing to fit all their UFAs and RFAs. Most will be in for a good pay raise and I doubt they can keep them all, so if they do trade an RFA or two it could help (along with the rumoured buyout of Richards).

So I'm heavily contemplating selling my PS3 for a PS4....don't know if I should take the plunge now, or wait (especially since I want to play P5).

I would keep the PS3 to play P5 for now, and just sell the ps3 games you are done with. I can't see getting much money for the console really. It's still a decent steaming machine too.

Alucard

Banned
FRANCE. Here's a visual depiction of the current situation against Honduras:
DanielsonBlackElbowsFinish.gif

Acid08

Banned
I would keep the PS3 to play P5 for now, and just sell the ps3 games you are done with. I can't see getting much money for the console really. It's still a decent steaming machine too.
Pretty sure PS3 is still the best media machine of all the last and current gen consoles.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The issue for the Rangers will be managing to fit all their UFAs and RFAs. Most will be in for a good pay raise and I doubt they can keep them all, so if they do trade an RFA or two it could help (along with the rumoured buyout of Richards).

So I'm heavily contemplating selling my PS3 for a PS4....don't know if I should take the plunge now, or wait (especially since I want to play P5).

Buying out Richards, we will likely be able to afford everyone but maybe one or two of the important free agents, plus sign a significant signing from elsewhere in the league. Assuming no trades. It will be super tight, though, and a couple of guys will have to take less than they might make elsewhere in order to do it.

Pouliot's contract will still be under 2m, Zuccarello's will go way up but might be a little under market value as he wants to stay. Kreider gets a raise too, but maybe not as big as he probably deserves because Sather always plays hardball with new RFAs like him. I don't think John Moore gets a terribly huge raise. Brassard's contract will probably end up somewhere between the qualifying offer of 3.7 and 4m. I think Dominic Moore will almost certainly give a discount to stay with the Rangers.

I don't think we'll be able to afford Brian Boyle, who may have doubled his money with his playoff run. Anton Stralman is an interesting issue because he likely tripled his money in the playoffs (he and Boyle were both at $1.7m cap hits), but he is a righthanded defenseman, which we could really use and would be very difficult to replace any more affordably. So I guess the question is whether you have to make a deal somewhere to unload some payroll to afford him. And if so, who goes?

zroid

Banned
Pretty sure PS3 is still the best media machine of all the last and current gen consoles.

PS3 = best home media playback and streaming machine

WiiU = best web streaming machine

edit: based on what I hear, PS3 is still the best blu-ray player of the consoles too (has that awesome remote too. why the f doesn't PS4 support the remote? pretty stupid)

Mentok

Banned
Just get mario kart 8.

We need some NHL-GAF kart races.

The WiiU is a cool machine with some fun games, but I'm just not interested in it being my primary gaming console...and there's no way I can have two (hence why I may sell my ps3 with games and accessories and put that money towards a ps4)

Buying out Richards, we will likely be able to afford everyone but maybe one or two of the important free agents, plus sign a significant signing from elsewhere in the league. Assuming no trades. It will be super tight, though, and a couple of guys will have to take less than they might make elsewhere in order to do it. I just can't see everyone staying, so who goes will be interesting.

Pouliot's contract will still be under 2m, Zuccarello's will go way up but might be a little under market value as he wants to stay. Kreider gets a raise too, but maybe not as big as he probably deserves because Sather always plays hardball with new RFAs like him. I don't think John Moore gets a terribly huge raise. Brassard's contract will probably end up somewhere between the qualifying offer of 3.7 and 4m. I think Dominic Moore will almost certainly give a discount to stay with the Rangers.

I don't think we'll be able to afford Brian Boyle, who may have doubled his money with his playoff run. Anton Stralman is an interesting issue because he likely tripled his money in the playoffs (he and Boyle were both at $1.7m cap hits), but he is a righthanded defenseman, which we could really use and would be very difficult to replace any more affordably. So I guess the question is whether you have to make a deal somewhere to unload some payroll to afford him. And if so, who goes?

Oh yeah, I can see most of the players being re-signed. Boyle and Stralman will be the big question marks. They'll both attract a lot of attention.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I keep forgetting I have the Destiny alpha. I only played for like 20 minutes last night, not entirely sure what was going on. :D

Maybe I'll play a bit after Bosnia-Argentina.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'd predicted a tie. And it was. Until Ecuador decided the game was over with 30 secs left and stopped playing defense.

Amazing application of goal-line tech in the France/Honduras game just now. As close as it could get.

That was amazingly close.

And yeah, that goal was all on Behrami tackling the other guy AND then getting up after being tackled and the ref letting them play. THANK GOD that ref made the right call and thank god Behrami wasn't like 99% of soccer players and just stayed down.

Alucard

Banned
Soccer is a work, bros. So are all sports, for that matter. Really, everything is like wrestling.

Walking onto the pitch/court/field and listening to anthems = ring entrances
Celebrating and showing passion after a positive play = playing to the crowd to get a reaction
Bitching to the ref even when you know you were at fault = being a heel complaining to the ref
Faking an injury in soccer/hockey/etc. = selling in the ring
Pre and post-game interviews = promos

Wrestling is just the purest form of entertainment, bros. It just doesn't hide what it is.
1306144788_injured_soccer_player_pickup.gif
Funniest-Soccer-Dives-Gifs-10.gif

Merguson

Banned
Colorado filed a club-elected arbitration with Ryan O'Reilly.

Sounds like they're trying to reduce the $6.5 million they had to offer him to keep his rights.

If they didn't want to offer $6.5 million, option was long-term deal or club-elected arbitration (where other teams can still submit offer sheets).

Can you guys see O'Reilly staying long-term with the Avalanche? We've got the possibility of both parties failing to reach a consensus on a long-term deal twice.

EDIT: Winnipeg did the club-elected arbitration with Frolik but who cares right?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I wager the rangers will offer ROR $8 mil after buying out richards

I think we're counting on the Avs not being able to/wanting to afford both ROR and Stastny. The one they don't sign gets dat Richards money.

We've been connected to both in the past, and we may be losing 2 centers in Boyle and Richards, so we need to replenish there.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Apparently Nygren has talked to management about being traded if he can't make the team this year, as he refuses to go to Hamilton after he went on that little rant earlier in the season. I'd like to see him be able to crack the lineup, he has some amazing offensive potential.

Holy shit, Switzerland.

Ecuador thought they were going to escape with a draw, and then Switzerland was like...
DanielsonClaudioUppercut.gif

FRANCE. Here's a visual depiction of the current situation against Honduras:
DanielsonBlackElbowsFinish.gif
I can't stop thinking of Dastardly's amazingly accurate rant

Anton Stralman is an interesting issue because he likely tripled his money in the playoffs (he and Boyle were both at $1.7m cap hits), but he is a righthanded defenseman, which we could really use and would be very difficult to replace any more affordably. So I guess the question is whether you have to make a deal somewhere to unload some payroll to afford him. And if so, who goes?

If they think McIlrath is ready, then Klein moves up to play with Staal. But I'd love to keep him. I'd love to keep all these guys but we can't because we can't afford it and we need to get better.

As for Spezza, no thanks for that price, can't afford it.

Sather will go hard after Statsny because that's just what he does.

ROR? If Avs take him to arbitration then other teams can't offer sheet him I think, and there's also the fact that we wouldn't have the picks to do it.

Revenant

Also, I just got an Xbox One to keep my PS4 company, do we have a gamertag/psn name list for NHL-GAF? I think we need to get one of those going, expecially when Halo 2 Multiplayer goes back online and I collapse into a puddle of goo from muscular atrophy by never leaving my couch.

TrueGrime

Also, I just got an Xbox One to keep my PS4 company, do we have a gamertag/psn name list for NHL-GAF? I think we need to get one of those going, expecially when Halo 2 Multiplayer goes back online and I collapse into a puddle of goo from muscular atrophy by never leaving my couch.

I second this. I just have an Xbox One. Hope to find NHL's for 15 around and about.

Friends don't let friends play NHL 15 alone... :(

..or with randoms.

Avs haven't even started negotiating with ROR yet, I think the arbitration is just precautionary if they can't come to an agreement, he can still be offer sheeted with the new CBA.

Top Bottom