• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Giggzy

I thought you were better than this

:)

I grew up playing soccer and roller hockey

vDlIEf6.jpg

But quit and focused only on soccer. My family is from Spain, so it runs in my blood. The similarities of the two sports is why I love them so much. I will admit that hockey is much better for spectators, but soccer will always have that pull on me.

Fei

Leino gone. Will inevitably rip and blame the organization for his ineptitude. Sabres-GAF reaction should simply be

XTXx00K.gif

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I like baseball. And soccer. And the NFL.

The only sport that truly sucks and is unwatchable is basketball.

Every time the touch is a foul, rarely an instance of 60 seconds of play without a whistle followed by an inbounds or boring free throw. Coaches have 5+ timeouts to kill the flow of play. Its the only sport where you can foul the other team to your own team's advantage.

And the NBA has bullshit 'sign and trade' loophole contracts amongst other things that lead to zero parity and multiple below .500 teams in the playoffs.

Fuck basketball.

TUSR

Banned
I like baseball. And soccer. And the NFL.

The only sport that truly sucks and is unwatchable is basketball.

Every time the touch is a foul, rarely an instance of 60 seconds of play without a whistle followed by an inbounds or boring free throw. Coaches have 5+ timeouts to kill the flow of play. Its the only sport where you can foul the other team to your own team's advantage.

And the NBA has bullshit 'sign and trade' loophole contracts amongst other things that lead to zero parity and multiple below .500 teams in the playoffs.

Fuck basketball.

I watched a game a couple of weeks ago and apparently throwing the ball off the other team and it going out of play is a good thing.

Basketball has the worst meta of any sport I think.

RC

Banned
I use to be really into basketball during the dark days of hockey, otherwise known as the late 90's. Chicago Bulls yo.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The US game yesterday was bad. Hell, even Nigeria-Iran was more exciting and that was a 0-0 tie.

Spain-Netherlands was amazing to watch.

Brazil-Mexico starts in 5 minutes and promises to be a great game too, we'll see.

Socreges

Banned
All joking aside, I honestly must have by chance never seen a good or even decent game.
Well that could be part of it, but it's probably more a lack of familiarity which is always the greatest obstacle to anyone enjoying a sport. I at least appreciate that you're not insistent on '99% of the world loves a boring sport!' like so many.

- Community. When your friends and family are into a sport, it can be infectious. When your friends and family don't care for a sport, and even hold contempt for it, that's infectious too. It's actually part of the American heritage to hate on soccer and make it the butt of jokes.
- Tactics/strategy. I could link anyone interested to summaries of all 32 teams that lays out the tactics employed by each one. I've seen that to some Canadian/Americans the movement of the ball or of players seems straight-forward and purposeless and that's because they don't appreciate what's actually happening. To people who watch hockey casually/infrequently, all they see is the puck moving up and down the ice. They don't appreciate the overall battle of wits. Same thing.
- What they're doing with their feet. Anyone who's played soccer regularly as an adult (which, again, is most of the world) understands the complexity of using your feet to control a ball. The skill, athleticism, fitness, and intelligence required... while using the feet that you're also using to run. This means that there's high skill on display constantly, especially in the World Cup. The impression I get, though, is that many people unfamiliar with soccer experience dribbling, passing and shooting as if they might as well be using their hands. But it's much, much more complex.

Don't get me wrong. I don't expect many people to find Nigeria vs Iran very interesting. Just like none of us are all that entertained by New Jersey vs Edmonton.

/rant

Socreges

Banned
Basketball would be a good sport if they started each team out with 100 points and put 8 minutes on the clock
Close games in basketball are opportunities for great excitement, but they're neutered by the strategies. The last minute is reduced to fouls, free throws, timeouts, inbound passes and MAYBE an exciting buzzer beater. Sucks. I love playing it, though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Close games in basketball are opportunities for great excitement, but they're neutered by the strategies. The last minute is reduced to fouls, free throws, timeouts, inbound passes and MAYBE an exciting buzzer beater. Sucks. I love playing it, though.

The NBA needs to reduce it to 3 timeouts per team per half. The last minute of a game should not take 20 minutes real time to complete.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I hear you, Socreges. I personally find (American) football to be the most exciting sport behind hockey, which causes bafflement among most who hear me say it. It's all about the strategy. I'm just poking fun at soccer because I personally don't get it, and it's a shock to my system to go from overtime playoff hockey to a 1-0 blowout soccer match.

And about basketball, yeah, the bullshit with fouls and timeouts in the waning minutes of a close game absolutely kill the entire thing for me. People make fun of football with the "oh, two minutes left? That means there's an hour until the game is over," but that is actually true with basketball these days. The whole system should be patched out during the next update.

Socreges

Banned
MK8 is the shit, btw. So much goddamn fun. Probably the most fun I've had with a game in several years. Played some online races with the GF last night and we couldn't put it down.

Is there an NHL-GAF group set up yet?

Socreges

Banned
I'm going to go sit in the bathtub and cry. Will probably start cutting myself.

Between sobs you'll hear. "Why Kenny Holland WHY? Why do this to the team I have loved since I was a child?"
This is what our harassment of new people has done to lurkers. He pre-empted us:

Strong emotions for team - CHECK
Knows GM's name - CHECK
Uses nickname for GM - CHECK
Explicitly refers to lifelong status - CHECK

Calamari41

41 > 38
This is what our harassment of new people has done to lurkers. He pre-empted us:

Knows GM's name - CHECK

"Long time lurker, first time poster. First, allow me to present the tribunal with a picture of myself at age 12 posing with Stu Grimson in 1998, and also please accept this picture of myself with a Ruslan Salei autographed stick. May I now give my opinion?"

TUSR

Banned
MK8 is the shit, btw. So much goddamn fun. Probably the most fun I've had with a game in several years. Played some online races with the GF last night and we couldn't put it down.

i only play dating sims now, sorry

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Quick

Banned

Knows GM's name - CHECK

My poor Leafs. I gave a kidney to Harold Ballard, or Harry Bally. I've been a fan since 1900.

Quick

Banned
I didn't think anyone on NHL Gaf had a Wii U.

Aside from myself and Quick, it seems like you guys mostly just play Pokemon and JRPGs

I'd say Pokemon is my limit, but I don't know if I can finish it anymore if I had one of the games. JRPGs just don't click with me.

You have a PS4 right? What's your PSN ID?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Added.

Did you sign up for the BF Hardline beta?

Nah, tried to but the page never worked for me. I was enjoying Destiny though.

Mostly just playing the Show and gone back to Far Cry 3 lately. Though Gaf told me I'm a piece of shit for enjoying a bigoted "mighty whitey" game like Far Cry 3. I play on anyway.

Var

So after two days in Toronto, I want to move here. You just need to lower the price of everything and give me a free condo pls.

Quick

Banned
Nah, tried to but the page never worked for me. I was enjoying Destiny though.

Mostly just playing the Show and gone back to Far Cry 3 lately. Though Gaf told me I'm a piece of shit for enjoying a bigoted "mighty whitey" game like Far Cry 3. I play on anyway.

I got back to NHL 14 and a bit of COD Ghosts MP. I need to get back to Watch Dogs and Black Flag.

I haven't had time to really get into The Show, even on Vita.

So after two days in Toronto, I want to move here. You just need to lower the price of everything and give me a free condo pls.

Get in line. We all want free condos.

What have you done so far?

Var

Get in line. We all want free condos.

What have you done so far?

Mostly just walked around downtown. We went to Bellwood's brewery, Bar Hop, and Barvolo so far. I just got back from the Hockey Hall of Fame and we are going to Medieval Times later tonight. We are going to Chinatown tomorrow for lunch. I am pretty sure the entire city is under construction though.

edit: forgot about burger priest. Pretty good burgers. I think Fat Guys in Tulsa has them beat though.

Quick

Banned
Mostly just walked around downtown. We went to Bellwood's brewery, Bar Hop, and Barvolo so far. I just got back from the Hockey Hall of Fame and we are going to Medieval Times later tonight. We are going to Chinatown tomorrow for lunch. I am pretty sure the entire city is under construction though.

edit: forgot about burger priest. Pretty good burgers. I think Fat Guys in Tulsa has them beat though.

Load up on some bubble tea and dim sum.

Purely basing this on your avatar, but I assume you like anime. There's an anime store along Spadina called Anime Xrtreme that sells manga, movies, and toys. There's Silver Snail and the other comic stores along Yonge St. but Anime Xtreme is specific.

HHOF is cool. Only ever been there twice since everything is about the same anyway. Just the matter of seeing the authentic Cup on display rather than the replica.

Var

Load up on some bubble tea and dim sum.

Purely basing this on your avatar, but I assume you like anime. There's an anime store along Spadina called Anime Xrtreme that sells manga, movies, and toys. There's Silver Snail and the other comic stores along Yonge St. but Anime Xtreme is specific.

HHOF is cool. Only ever been there twice since everything is about the same anyway. Just the matter of seeing the authentic Cup on display rather than the replica.

Not much for anime but I love the Persona games. I will still try to stop by and check it out though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

MK8 is fantastic.

My username: Plinko

Top Bottom