• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Buffalo needs to take their old captain back, take Gorges and Bourque with you too, thanks.

Fei

Sorry Leafs, I heard yesterday you have your top 6 defensemen filled. No room for Ehrhoff!

John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl 8m
But frankly, Tim Murray says, Christian Ehrhoff's desire to not be part of the Sabres and defenseman's inability to improve team are huge.

"Improve the team" lol, please. Well, Christian Ehrhoff really didn't turn our AHL-level Sabres into a playoff team, so he had to go.

I get that he wasn't a leader, and that he's not a 1D, but he's going to be a dynamite #2 or #3 defenseman for some team.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Thomas Vanek ($6.500m) / Ryan Getzlaf ($8.250m) / Corey Perry ($8.625m)
Matt Beleskey ($1.350m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Jarome Iginla ($5.000m)
Kyle Palmieri ($1.467m) / Andrew Cogliano ($3.000m) / Devante Smith-Pelly ($2.000m)
Emerson Etem ($0.870m) / Dominic Moore ($1.600m) / Jakob Silfverberg ($2.000m)
Patrick Maroon ($0.575m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Christian Ehrhoff ($4.000m) / Mark Fayne ($3.500m)
Cam Fowler ($4.000m) / Francois Beauchemin ($3.500m)
Hampus Lindholm ($0.894m) / Ben Lovejoy ($1.100m)
Mark Fistric ($1.267m) /
GOALTENDERS
Frederik Andersen ($1.150m)
John Gibson ($0.722m)
BUYOUTS
Sheldon Souray ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$1,150,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,519,167; BONUSES: $1,022,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,480,833

Hnnnngh

Red_Man

Another Buffalo writer said he didn't want to be there, and Murray isn't having any of that. Kind of seems similar to Bergevin situation where Tim is coming in and implementing his own culture for the team.

Edit: Ehrhoff is getting more then $4 M a year ^^ :lol :lol

Another Buffalo writer said he didn't want to be there, and Murray isn't having any of that. Kind of seems similar to Bergevin situation where Tim is coming in and implementing his own culture for the team.

Edit: Ehrhoff is getting more then $4 M a year ^^ :lol :lol

He hasn't been bought out yet so I can't change it :<

Fei

Yeah, pretty much everyone knew he wasn't happy that suddenly he was on a rebuilding team. I don't mind moving guys who don't want to be there.. but not for free when they have significant value.

There's only ONE scenario where that cap hit is $10M in 2020. If he retires at exactly 37. If it's 36, then it's $5M. If it's 38, it's $0. Really dumb for a guy who's always talking about "asset management."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I fully expect Holland to go hard after Ehrhoff.

Samyy

A Gleason buyout wouldn't be too bad for the Leafs, save 3 mil in cap this year, 2 next. Only 2 years of 1.3mil in wasted cap after that.

Do it Nonis!!!

Anyone else feel like Buffalo tanking is the most obvious tank in years? Hope the league makes sure they don't win the draft lottery next year.

Socreges

Banned
I would want the Canucks to sign Ehrhoff if I didn't also want the Canucks to tank.

Buffalo will out-tank the fuck out of everyone, but at least we could get good lottery odds.

Fei

But thankfully they aren't changing the number of picks being up for lottery in 2015. That's 2016. So I can sit back and enjoy every loss knowing that I'll be watching McDavid or Eichel in 2015-16. I'm not too picky there.

BTW, Buffalo owns NYI's and STL's first round picks. It's possible the rebalancing of odds won't reduce Buffalo's chances of winning the lottery depending on where they finish.

Edit: I really have no idea how this team will get 50 points next year.

Red_Man

Anyone else feel like Buffalo tanking is the most obvious tank in years? Hope the league makes sure they don't win the draft lottery next year.
As long as it's not Edmonton, who gives a shit. They're going to be complete garbage no matter what, why not do what you can to draft one of the most hyped prospects in a decade.

Socreges

Banned
But thankfully they aren't changing the number of picks being up for lottery in 2015. That's 2016. So I can sit back and enjoy every loss knowing that I'll be watching McDavid or Eichel in 2015-16. I'm not too picky there.

BTW, Buffalo owns NYI's and STL's first round picks. It's possible the rebalancing of odds won't reduce Buffalo's chances of winning the lottery depending on where they finish.

That would be more fair, though, that they'd get the pick as a consequence of having traded for first rounders, as opposed to getting it due to their deliberate tanking.

Free points for us, WHOOO!!!!!

Bittersweet to see Jovo not on the ice anymore. He's just not a NHLer anymore moreso mentally than physically. Still means a ton to the org and likely he'll get a job in the org. I just with it was a little more honorable. I'm sure they'll do some ceremony at the home opener considering all he's meant and done for the org.

Still remember him in the Philly series where he got Lindros off his game. 1st legit drafted talent. He made some serious bank over his career 72 million in earnings.

Curufinwe

I'm starting to think Hextall might be worse than Holmgren. First that laughably bad Hartnell for Umberger trade and now this? Florida wouldn't even take that deal if it was simply Philly giving them the 17th, Schenn and Vinny for free.

It's funny how five more years of Scott Hartnell falling over without being touched and taking terrible penalties became this huge asset as soon as he got traded.

And it wasn't Vinny + LSchenn.

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/...lyers_were_close_to_trading_to_no_1_pick.html

Ron Hextall admitted trying to trade up in the NHL Draft, which got underway Friday night at Wells Fargo Center.

Other than that, Hextall disclosed little.

Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon shared more.

Tallon admitted the Flyers made a big run at trading for first overall pick, which the Panthers held and used to draft defenseman Aaron Ekblad.

&#8220;We were close,&#8221; Tallon said. &#8220;(The Flyers) made a legitimate attempt. We had a number of conversations with Ron. They teased me. It was not an easy decision. They were willing. It was enticing.&#8221;

If the Flyers had completed the trade, they were expected to draft Ekblad, the top defense prospect in the draft.

The Fort Lauderdale Sun Sentinel reported that the Flyers offered centers Brayden Schenn and Vincent Lecavalier, but the Panthers said no because they wanted right wing Wayne Simmonds either added to the deal or instead of Schenn.

I would want the Canucks to sign Ehrhoff if I didn't also want the Canucks to tank.

Sadly I think Ehrhoff is getting paid again, so no way we would do it unless we want to burn a lot of our cap as a way to improve our tanking. I'd love to see him back too, though. Our D was fun until Gillis burned all of our picks and cap room in a fire.

Red_Man

Yep, they tried and failed the first time. Now they won't have to overpay him since he'll be getting paid for the next 14 years.
That's not how this works. He's the best D man in free agency by far now, he's getting paid.

It's funny how five more years of Scott Hartnell falling over without being touched and taking terrible penalties became this huge asset as soon as he got traded.

It's not that Hartnell is such an amazing player, it's that Umberger was probably going to get bought out. He was fucking atrocious last year.

Ah yeah, confirmed Wings will be going after Ehrhoff.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/06/red_wings_highly_interested_in.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Also already talked to the agents of Niskanen and Boyle.

So many old guys out there for Holland to sign. This offseason could be terrifying for Wings fans. He should have plenty of cap space to fill the retirement home cupboard for another run at a 2nd round playoff loss.

Not to be all Debbie downer there are a few FA's I'd love to see in a Wings sweater but man our GM loves giving out long term contracts to vets nearing social security and that scares the shit outta me. But we could make our D significantly better if we were to sign 2 of the FA out there.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So many old guys out there for Holland to sign. This offseason could be terrifying for Wings fans. He should have plenty of cap space to fill the retirement home cupboard for another run at a 2nd round playoff loss.

Not to be all Debbie downer there are a few FA's I'd love to see in a Wings sweater but man our GM loves giving out long term contracts to vets nearing social security and that scares the shit outta me. But we could make our D significantly better if we were to sign 2 of the FA out there.

As I said earlier, I am scared Jovanovski is the guy they end up with. Old. Ineffective. Perfect Holland guy.

calder

That World Cup thread, damn. Makes the Oly threads look like a dinner party of Oxford dons. Rough loss for Mexico though, holy shit.

Yeah Erhoff would make any team better. Pity the Jets have too many big D contracts already, he would be such a huge upgrade at LD for us, I bet he gets 5/30.

Top Bottom