• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Don't watch soccer at all but Budaj is going off on the Netherlands team on twitter right now.

Socreges

Banned
It was still a penalty though
What you mean to say is that it was still a foul. If he hadn't dived, he wouldn't have fallen, and nothing would have been called. That's how it always goes, especially in injury time, and one reason why diving has become so useful and embedded in the game.

Either way, my only point is that Robben is a massive turd. He was diving all game. He would be one of my favourite players if it weren't for the fact that he's always looking for an opportunity to fall.

Acid08

Banned
Man if we could just sign Vrbata and Ehrhoff we could be exactly where this team should have been after the deadline last year. But instead we're "rebuilding" and will probably pursue neither.

Samyy

What you mean to say is that it was still a foul. If he hadn't dived, he wouldn't have fallen, and nothing would have been called. That's how it always goes, especially in injury time, and one reason why diving has become so useful and embedded in the game.

Either way, my only point is that Robben is a massive turd. He was diving all game. He would be one of my favourite players if it weren't for the fact that he's always looking for an opportunity to fall.

The potential rewards are just too good. A penalty kick in soccer just feels like almost a free goal to me, and when it comes down to a World Cup, well I find it hard to blame them.

This shit is taught to players at a young age too, my little brothers coach was telling them to do it, and they were 13 year olds, its just a part of the sport now.

Its the same thing as embellishing and diving in hockey, its growing and its going to stay because every little advantage is super huge, especially in the playoffs.

I'm not saying its right, but its just a part of sports.

zroid

Banned
Embellishment sucks for the sport, but I don't really blame them assuming it's a legit call which they just want to make sure actually gets called. Outright diving is where it crosses the line for me.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So Dominic Moore is looking for 3 years at 1.6-1.85m, and the Rangers aren't paying that. Seems he's walking on Tuesday.

The Rangers are also looking into Devils Mark Fayne and Ryan Carter, Fayne as a Stralman replacement, Carter as a Moore replacement.

Samyy

So Dominic Moore is looking for 3 years at 1.6-1.85m, and the Rangers aren't paying that. Seems he's walking on Tuesday.

The Rangers are also looking into Devils Mark Fayne and Ryan Carter, Fayne as a Stralman replacement, Carter as a Moore replacement.

Seems like a great price for Moore, I had him pegged higher around 2.25m, wouldn't mind if the Leafs got him.
Moore and one of Stralman/Erhoff/Niskanen pls, preferably Stralman since I think he will be the cheapest.

Heretic

What a blow to Mexico. Parked the truck too soon. Doubt Robben even cares but he should be embarrassed after that dive.

Mexico got Portugal'd

Quick

Banned
Honestly, what purpose do these kinds of threads serve? Ridiculous.

Will be fun to see the total # of bans though.

Look at my self-righteous indignation/look at my disregard for social norms.

All it needs is someone to say "as a [specific self-classification], let me just say..."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
You'll get Boyle and like it.

At first I didn't think so but now that Ehrhoff is hitting the market Boyle's price will probably go down, although I guess the Rangers and Leafs are in the market for him.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
OH GOD

CAN WE SIGN EHRHOFF AGAIN PLEASE?

I went my Edler-Ehrhoff pairing back

I don't even care that we'll have too many D-men, Sbisa/Corrado can be 7th, I just want Ehrhoff back. Now we even have the cap space to afford him.

Merguson

Banned
Seems like a great price for Moore, I had him pegged higher around 2.25m, wouldn't mind if the Leafs got him.
Moore and one of Stralman/Erhoff/Niskanen pls, preferably Stralman since I think he will be the cheapest.

Asking the Leafs to sign these guys seems like the opposite of what Shanahan has been saying about free agency, lol. Well, except for Moore who would fill in a smaller role rather than the big roles.

Then again, who the heck knows.

pringles

OH GOD

CAN WE SIGN EHRHOFF AGAIN PLEASE?

I went my Edler-Ehrhoff pairing back

I don't even care that we'll have too many D-men, Sbisa/Corrado can be 7th, I just want Ehrhoff back. Now we even have the cap space to afford him.
No. Give us Edler and we'll reunite that pairing thank you very much.

Hell, Edler would already have been ours if some dude didn't tip off Vancouver before the draft.

Samyy

Asking the Leafs to sign these guys seems like the opposite of what Shanahan has been saying about free agency, lol. Well, except for Moore who would fill in a smaller role rather than the big roles.

Then again, who the heck knows.

The D-men are unlikely, but our bottom six is completely empty, we have no one signed so I think they will get one or two veterans for that role and Moore would be a good fit I think.

Right now its literally:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
_____ - _____ - ______
_____ - _____ - ______

So people are definitely getting signed for some of those spots, at least 2-3.
I'm willing to bet FML will occupy one of those 4th line spots lol :(

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I agree on the price. It's around where I expected him to be if not maybe even a little lower. It sounds like it's the term the Rangers don't like. It seems like they'd much rather sign him for 1-2 years.

Personally I don't see how that one year could possibly be worth ditching one of the more important role players of your conference championship team. You could always trade him if you need to open up a space for someone, and unless he has a severe falloff in the next 2 years, he should still have some decent value to him.

Smiley90

I hope to god Costa Rica wins this. I'm not letting Greece ruin another international tournament.

Merguson

Banned
The D-men are unlikely, but our bottom six is completely empty, we have no one signed so I think they will get one or two veterans for that role and Moore would be a good fit I think.

Right now its literally:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
_____ - _____ - ______
_____ - _____ - ______

So people are definitely getting signed for some of those spots, at least 2-3.
I'm willing to bet FML will occupy one of those 4th line spots lol :(

Holland, Ashton and D'Amigo in terms of internal promotions.

Based on reports, it really doesn't sound the Leafs are close to keeping any of their UFAs. Maybe Raymond or Bolland, or both. My guess.

With Nylander as a distant possibility, and some cheap UFA offers, we probably could eventually fill it out. I can't imagine they would want to just give these roles to the Marlies players. Let them work for it, etc.

Oh and McLaren and Orr as regulars for nightmare scenario.

Samyy

We know all these things Smiley, but I don't think we have the room to sign another top 6 F unless we flood our entire bottom 6 with Marlies players.

Smiley90

We know all these things Smiley, but I don't think we have the room to sign another top 6 F unless we flood our entire bottom 6 with Marlies players.

It feels weird to have cap space for once. I still can't believe so many bad Leafs players are so overpayed.... And so happy the Canucks got rid of some of the worst contracts for reasonably cheap. (Luongo, Garrison)

Samyy

It feels weird to have cap space for once. I still can't believe so many bad Leafs players are so overpayed.... And so happy the Canucks got rid of some of the worst contracts for reasonably cheap. (Luongo, Garrison)

Eh our cap situation isn't terrible, buying out Gleason would give us 18mil to spend this year.
Perhaps we could afford Statsny but I personally don't think hes going to be worth what he gets this year.

Smiley90

Eh our cap situation isn't terrible, buying out Gleason would give us 18mil to spend this year.
Perhaps we could afford Statsny but I personally don't think hes going to be worth what he gets this year.

Even Spezza would be better than Bozak, but he'd probably not get traded to the Leafs. So yah, Stastny maybe.

At least Nylander could potentially eclipse Bozak and play C, but that'll take a while.

Samyy

Even Spezza would be better than Bozak, but he'd probably not get traded to the Leafs. So yah, Stastny maybe.

At least Nylander could potentially eclipse Bozak and play C, but that'll take a while.

At this point I'm willing to be patient with the #1 centre spot because no one of that calibre worth the money is ever making it to FA or is being traded without massive overpayment.

As NY showed this year you don't need a #1C to atleast go on a run....

Tabris

Man I have no clue what the Canucks will look like come training camp.

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - ???
Kassian - ??? - Burrows
Hansen - Bonino - Higgins
Sessito - Matthias / Richardson - Dorsett

Bieksa - Hamhuis
Edler - Tanev?
Sbisa - Stanton
Corrado?

???
Lack

Smiley90

At this point I'm willing to be patient with the #1 centre spot because no one of that calibre worth the money is ever making it to FA or is being traded without massive overpayment.

As NY showed this year you don't need a #1C to atleast go on a run....

Yeah but they have Stepan, Richards and Brassard, all three of which are at least as good as Bozak... Richards at least potentially. So they have three 2nd line Centers, the Leafs have a 2nd and a 3rd.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Well let's see if the leafs can pull some magic in the next 2 days trade wise

We will be stuck paying Gardiner about 3 mil, still have no contract for franson and Phaneuf/Clarkson are just too much salary for too little

I don't mind dropping Phaneuf, Gleason and Franson for marlies/FA

Our bottom 6 is kinda fucked anyways... We don't have the forward depth to properly fill it so we do need to be very active, if we can purge those bad contracts we could probably make a fairly respectable team. Otherwise we will be forced to take the leftover players on the cheap.

We really only have one somewhat defensive forward at the moment and that's bozak...

So yeah... Leafs are kind of a mess again

Tabris

Now that I look at it, our bottom 6 is pretty darn good. It's just the top 6, we're missing a top 6 winger and a top 6 centre.

If we do sign Ryan Miller, I really hope it's on the cheap.

Smiley90

Man I have no clue what the Canucks will look like come training camp.

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - ???
Kassian - ??? - Burrows
Hansen - Bonino - Higgins
Sessito - Matthias / Richardson - Dorsett

Bieksa - Hamhuis
Edler - Tanev?
Sbisa - Stanton
Corrado?

???
Lack

Probably more like

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Bonino-Kassian
Horvat-Matthias-Hansen
Sestito-Richardson-Dorsett

D-lines you're probably right about. I still hope we sign Hiller, but that'd mean we might lose Markstrom to waivers... not sure. Sbisa/Stanton/Corrado could all be 7C, they're all young and might rotate through that spot to see who plays best.

EDIT: I also hope we resign Santorelli, not just in case Horvat doesn't make it out of camp.

yyzjohn

Banned
Well let's see if the leafs can pull some magic in the next 2 days trade wise

We will be stuck paying Gardiner about 3 mil, still have no contract for franson and Phaneuf/Clarkson are just too much salary for too little

I don't mind dropping Phaneuf, Gleason and Franson for marlies/FA

Our bottom 6 is kinda fucked anyways... We don't have the forward depth to properly fill it so we do need to be very active, if we can purge those bad contracts we could probably make a fairly respectable team. Otherwise we will be forced to take the leftover players on the cheap.

We really only have one somewhat defensive forward at the moment and that's bozak...

So yeah... Leafs are kind of a mess again

If only we picked Ho Sang we'd have the next generational talent.

Tabris

Toronto fans overhyping prospects again.

There's probably only one or two players out of this draft that will make an immediate and tangible impact. Sam Reinhart and Aaron Ekblad. And even the Ekblad I'm not so sure of.

Maybe a couple more, but I really doubt it will anyone in the bottom 25 of the draft.

Smiley90

Is Jordan Schroeder a bust? At least with Kassian, he can still play a grinder and energy role in bottom 6.

Schroeder isn't physical. He's... alright. He can make a sub-par 3C, which we have enough of.

Acid08

Banned
Rumors intensifying that Niemi is being shopped. Not sure why they'd want to trade him right now. Can't be much value there with the goalie market the way it is.

Tabris

Schroeder isn't physical. He's... alright. He can make a sub-par 3C, which we have enough of.

Didn't he have a couple games where he played with the twins and looked really good? Then one of the twins got injured? Of course, that's never a true sign because the twins can make anyone look good for a couple games.

Also above, did you mean Hiller or Miller? I'm curious which goalie we should get.

Smiley90

Didn't he have a couple games where he played with the twins and looked really good? Then one of the twins got injured? Of course, that's never a true sign because the twins can make anyone look good for a couple games.

Anyone can look good when they're playing with the Twins, yeah.

I like this new, more reasonable Tabris so far. Please stay.

So yah, sadly, Schroeder is more of a backup player.... and Santorelli is better than him.

And I mean Hiller. He'll be cheaper, will want a shorter contract and by the time that's done Lack/Markstrom can be starters. Miller will ask for too much/too long and we'll have a Luongo/Schneider situation again.

Top Bottom