• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So if the Perds can't trade Del Zotto, they may just not qualify him and let him become a free agent.

Thanks for Kevin Klein, bros!

Heretic

We did. We got rid of Sbisa.

I kid.

Murray has been preaching a lot about the importance of a great D man. Winning the cup is nearly impossible without one. I hope we can, but who's available? And what would we need to give up?

Errorhoff and he's UFA!

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
- Will miss Sam Gagner (total pro, great offensive player, sick shootout moves, fights, untapped potential, awesome beard), but he had to be traded after last season's abysmal play (thanks again for the broken jaw FuckFaceKassian!)

- Hope Sam Gagner realizes his potential in Arizona; seems like a good fit.

- Teddy Purcell looks like a useful forward for the Oilers. I'm okay with this. Like Nikita Nikitin, he's relatively expensive but the term is short so there's not much risk. The greater risk is in the Oilers continuing to suck by not having enough NHL-calibre players like Purcell and Nikitin.

- Steve Yzerman TOTALLY has a handshake deal with a pending UFA. That's why he's clearing out salary. I wonder who? Ehrhoff? Niskanen? Vanek?

During the Season Ticket Holder Open House Murray made it seem like Robidouche was done :'(

GM of the Year said Robidas won't be brought back mainly because the recovery will take many months. Then if there's a need they will give him a call.

Just mentioning Robidas makes me sad. And mad at Garbutt

Ducks ever going to improve the D?

We improved by dumping Sbisa. I chuckled when Benning said he was a solid second pairing D man. Lolz.

Fowler - Reverend
Beauchemin - Lindholm
Allen - Vatanen
Fistric

If we could add a top 4 D man I would be happy but I've been happy with this group. Lindholm and Vatanen should be better with the experience they gained and Beauchemin hopefully gets back to being his old self. Came back too soon from ACL surgery

We did. We got rid of Sbisa.

I kid.

Lol. He's talented. Just lacks the IQ. And good for a penalty or two a game for hooking. Good hitter. Good skater. Good puck handler. He has the tools but didn't seem to put it together.

Socreges

Banned
Canucks org definitely doesn't want to do a full rebuild. They're trying to get younger while still remaining competitive (gotta keep those season ticket holders and corporate partners). They'd probably call it a mini-rebuild. I guess one advantage would be continuing to attract free agents which they can ultimately trade for youth. So long as they don't trade youth/picks for vets.

"We acquired players that we thought are going to have an impact on us winning next year," Benning said. "If it was going to be a rebuild then maybe we wouldn't have tried to fight so hard to get players that can come in and help our team win next year."

We improved by dumping Sbisa. I chuckled when Benning said he was a solid second pairing D man. Lolz.

Fowler - Reverend
Beauchemin - Lindholm
Allen - Vatanen
Fistric

If we could add a top 4 D man I would be happy but I've been happy with this group. Lindholm and Vatanen should be better with the experience they gained and Beauchemin hopefully gets back to being his old self. Came back too soon from ACL surgery

Lol. He's talented. Just lacks the IQ. And good for a penalty or two a game for hooking. Good hitter. Good skater. Good puck handler. He has the tools but didn't seem to put it together.
Technically he said Sbisa "could grow into" being Top 4. Which is very different. Probably wrong and possibly something he doesn't believe himself, but I can understand why he'd say that.

Lettuce be cereal. Sbisa could very well be a terrific addition for the Canucks with the current D corp they have.

A few stretch passes to a Sedin or Bones, baby, you got yourself a stew goin'.

Socreges

Banned
If Sbisa could wait one more season before flourishing into a wonderful top4 pairing dman, that'd be great. We've got a McDavid to concern ourselves with and no premature, over-achieving intervention from Sbisa or Bonino or Vey is allowed to disrupt that.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
If Sbisa could wait one more season before flourishing into a wonderful top4 pairing dman, that'd be great. We've got a McDavid to concern ourselves with and no premature, over-achieving intervention from Sbisa or Bonino or Vey is allowed to disrupt that.

Another reason not to sign Miller.

Sign Hiller & Ehrhoff, give Ehrhoff a season to re-develop the previous chemistry with Edler and all is well.

Then maybe trade Bieksa, Corrado, Sbisa or Stanton depending on how things go.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I remember when people were comparing Subban to Del Zotto during his last contract extension. Good times.

Lettuce be cereal. Sbisa could very well be a terrific addition for the Canucks with the current D corp they have.

A few stretch passes to a Sedin or Bones, baby, you got yourself a stew goin'.

He has the talent. And I keep forgetting that he's just 24. He started off well after the Pronger trade and kind of regressed. Last year was a lot of bad luck. He just came back from an injury and one of the first shifts he breaks his hand in a fight. Just didn't have room for him when we had the top 6 we had plus Fistric and for a little bit Robidas.

He has the talent. And I keep forgetting that he's just 24. He started off well after the Pronger trade and kind of regressed. Last year was a lot of bad luck. He just came back from an injury and one of the first shifts he breaks his hand in a fight. Just didn't have room for him when we had the top 6 we had plus Fistric and for a little bit Robidas.

Oh wait, shit, the Pronger trade! He was the last piece of it! We now have nothing left from the Pronger trade!

Wait... Who did we get with Phillys first round pick?

Depending on which one of the kids make it to the big team, our roster SHOULD potentially look like this next season:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
F/A-Bonino-Kassian
Higgins-Horvat-Hansen
Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett
Sestito

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Sbisa-Stanton
Weber

FA Starter
Lack

Our farm team is going to look fucking awesome though.

Shinkaruk-Vey-Jensen
Fox-Gaunce-Grenier
Archibald-Lain-Friesen
Bullshit 4th line AHLers

Tommernes-Corrado
Andersson-Biega
McEneny-Blaine

Eriksson
Markstrom

Canuck's giant Russian prospect has good taste in women already:

10349742_534531653323249_1184675929_n.jpg

Red_Man

Bob McKenzie said:
TOR still hoping MTL D Josh Gorges will waive modified NTC to allow trade to TOR. If so, it's believed MTL would get roster player from TOR.
Doubt Gorges would waive to go to Toronto, and no idea what player they would give up. The Polak trade has me hopeful though.

Darren Dreger said:
Dan Boyle will have multiple offers tomorrow on a 2 yr deal. TB, Tor, Det, NYR and Mtl believed to be his top 5. #TSN
Huh. Not a fan of Boyle taking a spot away from Tinordi / Beaulieu.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Doubt Gorges would waive to go to Toronto, and no idea what player they would give up. The Polak trade has me hopeful though.

It's so weird seeing Toronto and Montreal talking trade.

It's also funny to see how much Toronto values intangibles over puck possession.

Red_Man

Apparently they had a trade lined up at the draft and Gorges was asked to waive but refused. Fuck you Gorges and your shitty ass leadership speeches. If we can move him, then I wouldn't mind bringing in Boyle as much.

Red_Man

Fuck Gorges, but fuck management even more for giving a plug a NMC.
He was one of our better, and most consistent defenseman when he was given that contract, far from a plug. His play has just been on the decline these past 18 months or so, and shows no sign of turning it around.

Kifimbo

He was one of our better, and most consistent defenseman when he was giving that contract, far from a plug. His play has just been on the decline these past 18 months or so, and shows no sign of turning it around.

I agree, he was a great second-pair defensman.

He was always a little slow, and now that he's getting older, and with all those shot blocks, his decline will likely be fast. Perfect time to trade him, while his value is still good.

Solo

His biggest asset was shot blocking, but now that everyone blocks like no tomorrow, there really is no need for a slow, small d-man with no offensive upside.

Red_Man

Gorges for Gleason
Gorges for Franson

Those are trades that would be acceptable to me.
It's definitely not Gleason. Bergevin is moving him because he's slow and not very mobile. Looks like it would be for Franson or Lupul.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Rangers are apparently in Dan Boyle "top 5" (TBL, DET, TOR, NYR, MTL).

Tampa Bay is also apparently interested in Dominic Moore.

The Rangers are already talking damage control and about how they have great scouts who have identified players to help fill holes in the roster, so expect most of the Rangers' UFAs to walk at this point.

Rangers are apparently in Dan Boyle "top 5" (TBL, DET, TOR, NYR, MTL).

Tampa Bay is also apparently interested in Dominic Moore.

The Rangers are already talking damage control and about how they have great scouts who have identified players to help fill holes in the roster, so expect most of the Rangers' UFAs to walk at this point.

I think that they think that Oscar Lindberg is ready for the 4th line center position. I think that losing Dom is going to cost them so much more in the long run.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I think that they think that Oscar Lindberg is ready for the 4th line center position. I think that losing Dom is going to cost them so much more in the long run.
Lindberg shouldn't be anywhere near a 4th line, but I think they believe this, too. I've heard they're expecting Lindberg, Fast, and Miller to be ready to take on bigger roles, and they think Kristo is getting closer to the NHL. None of these guys belong in a 4th line role, though. Dominic Moore should be a no-brainer signing, even for a three year term, so I'm not sure what Sather thinks he's doing here. Really kind of baffling.

Meanwhile, from Mats Zuccarello Aawesome via the Norwegian press:
The most important thing to me is how many years the contract is for, not necessarily how much the salary is. I want to be able to compete for the Stanley Cup every season and therefore will not necessarily push wages up to the maximum.
At least somebody's got the right attitude here.

Samyy

Is Dan Boyle really expected to get 5-6mil per year?
Also the Leafs aren't interested in Niskanen which I think is good considering how overpaid he is going to be by someone.

Top Bottom