• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Welp, at least they gave me a reason to not watch the team this year before they started. Not even surprised.

Holland has finally outstayed his welcome and he needs to go.

If you need me I'll be finding a tall bridge over some sharp rocks.

23 straight years? Not going to be a 24.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
At this point I wish Holland would have just retired like he said he was going to do when Lidstrom hung em up.

Next season is going to suck.

Plus I have to watch Kyle Fucking Quincey play in the top 4 for 2 more years.

Shoot me please someone shoot me

Just go to a Wings game and walk around outside after it's over.

As for the Holland thing, I've been calling for his ouster for three years now. It has been perfectly clear the guy can't operate in the salary cap era. He has no clue what he's doing without a blank checkbook and no salary cap. Most overrated front office in the league.

Cactus

Banned
It's pretty sad when Leafs fans measure a successful day by not ridiculously over paying for someone like the last few summers.
Yeah, pretty much. None of the moves Nonis made were terrible, but none really improve the team. If we had a competent GM, we'd probably be disappointed right now.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 5m
Told Rangers made minimal contact with Brian Boyle's reps prior to today.

WTF Sather? So you just decided "you know, I bet it would be a great idea to ditch Boyle because we can sign Tanner fucking Glass to a shitty contract" of your own volition?

I assume it has to do with Boyle saying he wanted a bigger on-ice role than what he had, but still, geez.

I wish people would stop reminding me of this. That man has a great eye for talent and he is loading up the Stars right now.

"Ludo Sad"

I kind of put salt in the wound on purpose today was not a good day. :(

Though to be fair, I don't think Detroit could have pulled of that Seguin trade. Though Loui Eriksson was the primary piece in that so...

zroid

Banned
Yeah, pretty much. None of the moves Nonis made were terrible, but none really improve the team. If we had a competent GM, we'd probably be disappointed right now.
Well I think Robidas will improve the team, assuming he stays healthy

Hard not to improve this team by adding D-men... oh wait, Roman Polak...

Awesome!

We are going into next season with the exact same fucking Top 6 on defense as last year.

Because last year's defense was so stellar. Holland just had to bring everyone back.

Great job resigning KFQ, now you have left no room for even one of the kids in GR to play his way onto the team in training camp.

Mentok

Banned

WTF Sather? So you just decided "you know, I bet it would be a great idea to ditch Boyle because we can sign Tanner fucking Glass to a shitty contract" of your own volition?

I assume it has to do with Boyle saying he wanted a bigger on-ice role than what he had, but still, geez.

Sather gonna Sather....seriously sucks. I wonder if he's freed up enough to secure all the RFAs?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Awesome!

We are going into next season with the exact same fucking Top 6 on defense as last year.

Because last year's defense was so stellar. Holland just had to bring everyone back.

Great job resigning KFQ, now you have left no room for even one of the kids in GR to play his way onto the team in training camp.

That's my favorite part of this.

yyzjohn

Banned

I wouldn't say they didn't get better. At least the bottom 6 will feature guys like Komarov/Frattin/Holland/Ashton as opposed to Orr and McLaren. That alone is an improvement. Robidas is better than Gleason and more playing time for Gardiner/Rielly can't be bad. About time they try to give some guys a look. Granberg on D as well I forgot. He'll be in the mix. I think Franson gets traded soon.

Exactly this. He was never signing here, so really what was the point of wasting time? Rangers could have offered him the world and he'd still have signed elsewhere because AV told him he'd only be a 4th liner here.

How important was JIm Nill to the redwings?

We are finding out right now.

Sure I was disappointed earlier by not signing anyone but I had hope that they would let the kids play their way onto the team in training camp.

Now I am angry and depressed because not only did Holland not make this team any better today he went out and actively made it worse by signing KFQ.

This is subtraction by addition at it's finest.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Sather gonna Sather....seriously sucks. I wonder if he's freed up enough to secure all the RFAs?

There's about $15m there, should likely be enough. Still have a couple of holes to plug, though, whether they come from within the org or without, so probably around $12-13m to play with for the RFAs. Sounds tight, but Kreider is almost certainly get a bridge deal that will keep his price tag down, and John Moore's contract shouldn't be all that huge. Sather will play hardball with Zuccarello, too, and keep him below what his real market value should be.

So I think they're fine in the cap department.

I don't see why we signed Winchester, rather have Hishon on the team. Street, Grevais and Redmond seem to be AHL sigings, but Winchester plays in the NHL.

McGinn-Duchene-MacKinnon
Landeskog-O'reilly-Iginla
Tanguay-Hishon-Briere
Talbot-Mitchell-Mcleod.

I just don't see a place for him. Hishon will be in Lake Erie again, though I wish he would stay up.

Plinko

Ansar Kahn said:
Wings also spoke with Tom Gilbert, but he had to make decision on Montreal offer (2 years, $2.8 million per) and they told him don't wait.

Screw you, Holland.

"Forget waiting on the cheaper, better option--we'll just overpay Quincey. Genius!"

Plinko

We are finding out right now.

Sure I was disappointed earlier by not signing anyone but I had hope that they would let the kids play their way onto the team in training camp.

Now I am angry and depressed because not only did Holland not make this team any better today he went out and actively made it worse by signing KFQ.

This is subtraction by addition at it's finest.

Think about this:

Wings now have 5 Dmen signed through 2016, with DeKeyser and Smith (who will both be re-signed) ending this year.

No room on the roster for ANY young guy until 16-17. I'd be furious.

We struck out fine, this is the chance to bring the kids up who are ready to make the leap and give a new look to the D. But no, instead he has to resign the one player no fan wants back and one that hurts us more than helps...

Screw you Holland, get your stupid signing of Cleary and Alfie done now so we can have the exact same team as last year and go absolutely no where once again. You are throwing this organization under a rug with the moves you are making, we can't even get our amazing prospects to play because you would rather fill that gap with sucky plug players, what a complete idiot.

Dang I'm beyond pissed right now, no, no, no, no, no, this is just beyond stupid on all levels. I really don't want to even think about the Wings or hockey right now because of his incompetence.

We struck out fine, this is the chance to bring the kids up who are ready to make the leap and give a new look to the D. But no, instead he has to resign the one player no fan wants back and one that hurts us more than helps...

Screw you Holland, get your stupid signing of Cleary and Alfie done now so we can have the exact same team as last year and go absolutely no where once again. You are throwing this organization under a rug with the moves you are making, we can't even get our amazing prospects to play because you would rather fill that gap with sucky plug players, what a complete idiot.

Dang I'm beyond pissed right now, no, no, no, no, no, this is just beyond stupid on all levels. I really don't want to even think about the Wings or hockey right now because of his incompetence.

If I were D and Z I'd announce I was retiring tomorrow afternoon.

ZeroGravity

Can it be October yet?

Palat - Stamkos - Johnson
Killorn - Filppula - Callahan
Connolly - Drouin - Kucherov
Brown - Boyle - Panik

Hedman - Stralman
Carle - Garrison
Brewer - Gudas
Barberio - Sustr

Bishop
Nabokov

ibmVsDAgfIEmBM.gif

Plinko

Can it be October yet?

Palat - Stamkos - Johnson
Killorn - Filppula - Callahan
Connolly - Drouin - Kucherov
Brown - Boyle - Panik

Hedman - Stralman
Carle - Garrison
Brewer - Gudas
Barberio - Sustr

Bishop
Nabokov

ibmVsDAgfIEmBM.gif

Man I wish we had a guy that talented connected with our team.

Wait, what? We did?

Just tuning in; how's WildGAF feeling about the Vanek signing?

I'm really intrigued by the Sabres moves today. SabresGAF, should I worry about our chances for #1 at the bottom next year?!

ZeroGravity

The reason he didn't sign with the Rangers is because he didn't want to play on the 4th line. Sounds like Tampa made him some assurances about his role on the team.
I'm sure he'll move up. I think they want to give Drouin a chance at center though, but he'll probably play most of the year at wing.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If we assume gardiner is getting about $3 mil

Then that leaves about $12 million for 4 players, which isn't that bad.

They still have a good amount of wiggle room.

Still hoping on kulemin and grabo returning ;)

Cactus

Banned
Well I think Robidas will improve the team, assuming he stays healthy

Hard not to improve this team by adding D-men... oh wait, Roman Polak...
Losing Gunnarsson still stings :-(
I wouldn't say they didn't get better. At least the bottom 6 will feature guys like Komarov/Frattin/Holland/Ashton as opposed to Orr and McLaren. That alone is an improvement. Robidas is better than Gleason and more playing time for Gardiner/Rielly can't be bad. About time they try to give some guys a look. Granberg on D as well I forgot. He'll be in the mix. I think Franson gets traded soon.

IMO

Holland > Bolland
Kulemin > Komarov
Gunnarsson > Polak
Robidas > Gleason
Raymond > Frattin

The bottom 6 is better, but we lost some offensive firepower. Hopefully Nonis can turn Franson into a decent second line forward.

Leafs' centres are potentially Bozak, Kadri, Holland and Abbott.

Nonis/Burke era rolls on without this f/o being able to sign a 1C. Remarkable.

Top Bottom