• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Acid08

Banned
Getting rid of Stuart made this day an A+ for the Sharks. Dude is fucking horrible, let the kids battle it out for the second and third pairing LD slots since DW doesn't seem to be looking to make a big trade for one.

While I don't think it's likely, I'd LOVE for the Sharks to sign Vrbata. Hertl-Jumbo-Vrbata would be an awesome line and we have plenty of cap space. Wingels, Demers, and Shep all need to be signed though.

Pretty much just cakeboss, you did miss the Wings mass suicide though. /typing this from death
gPBuAgl.gif

Tabris

So still some very open questions for Nucks:

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Jensen / Santorelli
Kassian - Borvat / Gaunce - Burrows
Higgins - Bonino - Hansen
Sesisto - Mathias / Richardson - Dorsett

Bieksa - Hamhuis
Edler - Tanev
Sbisa - Corrado
Stanton / Alberts or Weber

Miller
Lack

This is assuming Jensen and Borvat / Gaunce prove they are NHL ready which I don't think they are yet. Maybe Jensen. Not loving the top 6.

Quick

Banned
I got stoned and I feel better about it.

Brad Richards could have been had for $2 million? He'd be a pretty darn good third line center in Anaheim

Short-term deal, though. Probably looking to rebuild his stock. Chicago would make him look pretty good.

And he cashed in with the Rangers, too.

Finally got home to see everything from today.

I really like the Richards signing. Low cost/low risk move and a huuuuuuuuuuuuge improvement over Handzus. Also takes a lot of pressure off Teuvo so he's not immediately carrying a lot of responsibility. Just saw they re-signed Regin as well. He's played better than I thought he would and he isn't costing anything so it's nice to have him back. Hawks are over the cap again so hopefully Roszival is on his way out. Now it's just the waiting game to see what Toews/Kane end up signing for.

Really hope Teuvo starts the year up here. Regin is nice. Signing Smith, Morin and Raanta for under 3m combined and then getting Richards makes this a solid offseason. Would have preferred Stas, but whatever.

Hopefully Steeger and Rosi are gone. Get draft picks or something.

Marvie_3

Banned
Really hope Teuvo starts the year up here. Regin is nice. Signing Smith, Morin and Raanta for under 3m combined and then getting Richards makes this a solid offseason. Would have preferred Stas, but whatever.

Hopefully Steeger and Rosi are gone. Get draft picks or something.

Highly doubt it unless it blows everyone away during the training camp. My guess is that he spends a few months in Rockford before they ease him into the Hawks lineup.

Marvie_3

Banned
I'm just not sure how much help being in Rockford for a month or so will actually do for him. He isn't a middling prospect really.

He'll get more playing time in Rockford and it isn't going to hurt the Hawks at all. He's not taking a center spot away from Toews/Richards and he's not beating out Hossa/Kane/Sharp/Saad for any of the top 6 wing spots. Quenneville isn't going to play him on the 3rd over Bickell/Shaw/Versteeg(assuming he's still here) and it's pointless to have him on the 4th line. I'd rather see him playing on the top line in Rockford for a few months to make sure he's ready first. Once he's ready, then you can start to rotate him into the lineup.

This just makes me chuckle. Top 5 of our 6. Not sure who our 6th will be.. But my guess it will be Brett Ritchie.

Tyler Seguin - Drafted 2nd overall
Jason Spezza - Drafted 2nd overall
Val Nichushkin - Drafted 10th overall
Ales Hemsky - Drafted 13th overall
*record scratch*
Jamie Benn - Drafted 129th overall

TUSR

Banned
This just makes me chuckle.

Tyler Seguin - Drafted 2nd overall
Jason Spezza - Drafted 2nd overall
Val Nichushkin - Drafted 10th overall
Ales Hemsky - Drafted 13th overall
*record scratch*
Jamie Benn - Drafted 129th overall

Still blows my mind seeing Benn go that late, when he played for the Rockets here he absolutely tore the league to pieces.

My Winners and Losers

Winners: Dallas, St. Louis, Tampa Bay
Losers: Washington, Detroit, Ottawa

Jim Nill said that Dallas is still looking for a 3rd/4th liner.

We also need to sign our qualifying offers to Eakin, Roussel and Dillon yet we only have 8.6 million remaining.

I'm guessing we are going to ship off one of three people for a draft pick or something... Gonchar, Cole or Horcoff.

I'm betting it will be Gonchar or Cole. Then we will get someone like Legwand (I would like this) to fill in that 3rd/4th line option and sign Roussel, Dillon and Eakin in.

Our lines at the moment for the Stars look like this...

Jamie Benn - Tyler Seguin - ? Bret Ritchie ?
Val Nichushkin - Jason Spezza - Ales Hemsky
Antoine Roussel - Cody Eakin - Ryan Garbutt
Erik Cole - Shawn Horcoff - Rich Peverley/Colton Sceviour/Patrick Eaves

Daley - Goligoski
Dillon - Benn
Nemeth - Gonchar/Connauton

Lehtonen
Lindback/Campbell

EDIT: After typing this out... Holy shit we have depth...!

IdgMwlv.gif

Yes you should.

Just caught up on all the signings. I had a lot of bullshit to do today, I'm really glad I wasn't paying attention to any of this stuff, otherwise none of it would have gotten done. I'll definitely read the back pages tomorrow to see the laughter and tears (lol at Orpik)

How's Peverley doing nowadays anyway? There's a real heart character that a Leafs roster would want.

He was just at the NHL Awards. Said he is working out again and has a defib built into him now. (Robo Raptor Jesus)

He says he is aiming to come back and play but no one knows .. even himself. We will see. Stars have filled in nicely on the 3rd/4th line options for RW so I have a feeling they have plenty of contingency plans in place.

If Pevs doesn't come back, he will probably be offered a coaching/management gig with the Stars.

zroid

Banned
So with Frattin coming full circle, the Bernier trade looks a bit more like this:

Bernier + 7th = Scrivens + D'Amigo + 2nd

eehhh... I guess that's alright although I'd have preferred if it were a 3rd instead of a 2nd

I know it's hard to just give up what you love but man, he really shouldn't play unless he and his doctors are 100% certain. Some risks aren't worth taking.

what?

Where did I say he should play?

I was giving an update on what he is doing and how he is doing. Like I said, he is working out again and he wants to play. He even said that during the NHL Awards. I said that he doesn't even know if he is coming back. And I said that we have plenty of options on the 4th line in the RW position to fill in there if he isn't back.

Like I said, it is his choice and if he doesn't come back, he will be offered a coaching/management gig with the Stars. He has really embraced the whole family atmosphere with that team this past year.

EDIT: Oh nevermind, you are talking about HIS thoughts which is that he wants to come back. Yeah I get that idea. I think his situation compared to Fischer is way less severe which is why I think he believes he still has a chance. Still a scary situation.

what?

Where did I say he should play?

I was giving an update on what he is doing and how he is doing. Like I said, he is working out again and he wants to play. He even said that during the NHL Awards. I said that he doesn't even know if he is coming back. And I said that we have plenty of options on the 4th line in the RW position to fill in there if he isn't back.

Like I said, it is his choice and if he doesn't come back, he will be offered a coaching/management gig with the Stars. He has really embraced the whole family atmosphere with that team this past year.

I didn't say you did, man. Chill. I'm just commenting on the situation. I'd hate to see anything further happen to him.

I didn't say you did, man. Chill. I'm just commenting on the situation. I'd hate to see anything further happen to him.

Yeah I noticed. I edited above haha

EDIT: I just want to thank the Detroit Red Wings again for giving us Jim Nill. Thanks guys.

Whitney - Benn - Eriksson
Cole - Eakin - R. Smith/Chiasson

to

Benn - Seguin - Ritchie?
Nichushkin - Spezza - Hemsky

All in one year. Insanity.

Mentok

Banned
Yeah I noticed. I edited above haha

EDIT: I just want to thank the Detroit Red Wings again for giving us Jim Nill. Thanks guys.

Whitney - Benn - Eriksson
Cole - Eakin - R. Smith/Chiasson

to

Benn - Seguin - Ritchie?
Nichushkin - Spezza - Hemsky

All in one year. Insanity.

Seriously, Dallas went from an afterthought to a powerful team VERY quickly! It'll be interesting to see other star players taking 1 year deals to re-prove themselves like Richards and Erhoff did (looking at you Heatley). I think it's necessary to see if they still have any value.

Socreges

Banned
Dater talked to Iginla today, but instead of transcribing it he just uploaded audio and I do not want to listen to his stupid ass talk.

BrgEkiaCAAEjVGs.jpg

Feels weird.
Iginla's a whore now anyhow. Calgary, Pittsburgh, Boston, Colorado.... in under 2 years. You guys will adapt, as he's done, and start to cheer for him and eventually defend him against all.

I never really had a problem with Iginla despite what I may have said in the past, I just don't like Calgary (or any former NW teams, nor any Central teams). It is fucking weird to see him in Burgundy and Blue though.

But if Iginla thinks you have the best chance of winning a cup... Well... That says something.

Maybe of interested teams. We're certainly not that much better(if not worse because we lost Benoit and replaced him with Stuart) than we were last season. Also if we can't get O'Reilly and Barrie to come down to earth we're fucked probably.
A black man playing hockey in Denver?

That's hilarious.
I don't think there are any Habs fans here so there shouldn't be any blackface incidents.

edit: Also fucking Berra. Berra is our sole backup. Reto Calgaryman Berra. Former Flame Berra. Fuckface Berra.

Top Bottom