• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Stet

Banned
b3WIQNT.png

Can't even get traded right.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Roy is done.

Dude's a ghost out there.

Legwand would be good.

I would overpay for legwand ($4 mil~)

It would solidify our third line for a while

Ott I think would just be too much. We already have 3 players that do pest role (kadri, komarov and Clarkson (more to ourselves but whatever))

I would overpay for legwand ($4 mil~)

It would solidify our third line for a while

Ott I think would just be too much. We already have 3 players that do pest role (kadri, komarov and Clarkson (more to ourselves but whatever))

Yeah, Ott is a black hole at this point of his career.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
We have room for Vrbata, Ott, Legwand? Our defense isn't stable yet either.

Likely have to shoot Franson, Orr, FML out of a rocket.

Leafs have $16.4 mil in cap

The idea is.. sign Gardiner , legwand and vrbata

That's like $12 million ($4 legwand, $3 Gardiner, $5 Vrbata)

Vrbata push Clarkson down to third line. We then have only Reimer and a 4th line scrub to fit into $4.5 mil... Easy. (That is if intend to keep Orr)

yyzjohn

Banned
Leafs have $16.4 mil in cap

The idea is.. sign Gardiner , legwand and vrbata

That's like $12 million ($4 legwand, $3 Gardiner, $5 Vrbata)

Vrbata push Clarkson down to third line. We then have only Reimer and a 4th line scrub to fit into $4.5 mil... Easy. (That is if intend to keep Orr)

Isles aren't at the cap floor yet. I have an idea, Clarkson to Isles to help them out, we'll take a 6th round pick. Done.

Osorio

I'd take Evander Kane but Lou doesn't like it when players have a sense of humor unless they've been a Devil their whole career.

Thoughts on yesterday:

• Buffalo got Meszaros, Moulson, and Gionta; some veteran talent for their young players. They still look like a lottery team. Strange that Moulson would go back to Buffalo.
  • Calgary got Engelland at $2.9M per (isn't he a bottom-pairing guy?), Raymond at $3.1M per (overpayment, but hometown guy will be motivated), and Hiller (solid veteran guy, 2 years is a good term too).
  • Chicago got Richards at 1 year, $2M. Crazy good deal and perfect for both sides; Hawks have flexibility for Kane/Toews extensions and Richards gets to play for a contender (though I think he could've held out for more).
  • Colorado got Iginla. A bit of a strange choice but I guess Iginla wanted term.
  • Dallas got Spezza and Hemsky. Can't help but compare the Spezza trade to the Kesler one despite the different circumstances but I think Vancouver got a better return than Ottawa did. Dallas only gave up one roster player and a 2nd rounder. The prospects may pan out though.
  • Detroit got... Quincey. My condolences, Wings-Age.
  • Edmonton got Pouliot and Fayne. I guess they got older, but 5 years for Pouliot after a 36 point year? Their defence should be better with Fayne, Nikitin, and Aulie.
  • Florida got Jokinen, Mitchell, Bolland, Thornton, and Montoya. Jokinen deal is good, the Mitchell term is short, but 5 years for Bolland? Their new owners aren't afraid to spend, that's for sure.
  • Minnesota got Vanek. No one should be surprised at this. Thought the term would be higher than 3 years though.
  • New Jersey got Cammalleri and Havlat. 5 years for Cammalleri seems a bit long.
  • Rangers got Boyle, which should help their PP.
  • Pittsburgh got Ehrhoff at $4M for 1 year, which is a steal. Their forward depth will be tested especially without Neal.
  • St. Louis got Stastny. Not sure if he's worth $7M, but the term is quite reasonable for the best UFA centre available.
  • Tampa got Stralman. Along with Garrison their defence looks a lot better, though a bit pricey (5 defencemen making at least $3.8M, not including Ohlund).
  • Toronto got Robidas, who's a solid veteran. Not sure if Polak is an upgrade on Gunnarson but at least their defence is different.
  • Washington paid a ton for Niskanen and Orpik. Green is entering his contract year so I wonder if they'll trade him at the deadline. They also have next to no cap space now.

As for Miller, I don't mind it. They got the best UFA goalie and 3 years from now they could easily go with a Lack/Demko tandem. Now they just need a scoring winger.

The West is still a bloodbath (Dallas, Chicago, and Anaheim got better) though. Maybe, if the Canucks aren't in contention at the deadline, they blow up the team and tank for McDavid. Maybe.

calder

I love EKANE a lot but I'd be ok with him getting moved as long as the return is good. And the return for a 30ish goal scoring power forward that young on a good contract should be pretty damn high.

But everyone who wants him on their team... there are definitely downsides. He gets a lot of undeserved (imo) flack for shit but he DOES do stupid shit and he WILL annoy fans of his team. Glad to see his twitter joke generate zero actual outrage in Winnipeg, it was truly nothing. Most ppl on twitter trying to stir shit up about it seemed to be Flyers fans, curiously enough. ;)

Parch

Panic move by the Avalanche when they couldn't resign Statsny. They felt they needed a big name replacement, so they give Iginla a sweet retirement contract. I doubt there was any other team willing to give him 3 years.

Panic move by the Avalanche when they couldn't resign Statsny. They felt they needed a big name replacement, so they give Iginla a sweet retirement contract. I doubt there was any other team willing to give him 3 years.

Wouldn't call it a panic move since we'd been in contact with Iginla for awhile before he was signed. Not convinced it was a great move but I'm pretty sure Sakic doesn't do panic.

Too much old on one line.

Then throw Mac in the mix to balance it out, heh. I agree though, I've always thought Tanguay was really slow, I can only imagine him now. Fact is, those two really do have some good chemistry, I would be amazed if they were never iced on the same line.

Likely have to shoot Franson, Orr, FML out of a rocket.

It's not so bad.

Franson shouldn't be hard to move. I would think that the Leafs would be after picks for him.

Orr and McLaren can be buried in the AHL and their salaries won't count against the cap (I think).

Hopefully Nonis ignores McClement's texts. McClement should never be allowed near Carlyle ever again.

Not that I expect many to recognize him, but the Blues also signed Jori Lehtera yesterday in addition to Stastny. We've had his rights for years, but he was a holdout that never wanted to go through the usual AHL song and dance. Well rounded Center that has to adjust to the NHL, but he worked his way up the Finnish lines at the Olympics and was their 1C at Worlds.

Judging from interviews yesterday, Army and Hitch want to try him at 2C with Schwartz and Tarasenko. I'd say he easily has a higher ceiling than most of the FA Center pool this year if he can adjust quickly.

I don't really see the big deal with the Stastny $ either. It's a much better term than it could have been, he's more or less a ~6M AAV Center that managed an extra 1M or so on the market. Not unusual in the least, and it's already been confirmed that he had other serious offers for more money and longer term.

Samyy

Scout on Engvall:

Who Surprised?

Frölunda’s 6-foot-4 winger Pierre Engvall started the season slowly and in a minor role. Come April, he was the go to guy offensively and one of the most reliable forwards defensively for Frölunda’s U20 team. I’m still baffled by team Sweden brass’ decision to somehow leave him of the roster for the World Under-18 Championship.

Engvall is the perfect combination of speed, size, and skill. He is a smooth skater with a big reach who is very hard to contain when he gets up to speed, his powerful wrist shot makes him a constant threat on breakaway.

Although there are aspects of his game that needs work, there is no doubt in my mind that Engvall will be a valuable player NHL in the future. The question is, which will be the lucky team to call his name at the Wells Fargo Center?

A very intriguing pick, not much footage to find on him and other impression so hopefully we get a good look at what he can do at the prospect camp.

Also not surprised at all at what Spezza sold for. There were too many negative factors there for any team to pay the price for the Spezza of years past. 1 year left on contract, recent injury history, no 200ft game, his narrow list and control over the situation, ANA taking Kes, STL preferring and having moderate expectations of a Stastny signing, etc.

Holiday

Banned
I'm confused about what the Blues are going to do at wing. Armstrong is talking about playing Backes at RW and Berglund at LW, but he also said earlier that Jaskin would be on the team, and that Paajarvi would probably have more time as well. I don't understand signing Berglund to play him at wing and take up a forward slot that Jaskin, Paajarvi, or Rattie could have.

I'm confused about what the Blues are going to do at wing. Armstrong is talking about playing Backes at RW and Berglund at LW, but he also said earlier that Jaskin would be on the team, and that Paajarvi would probably have more time as well. I don't understand signing Berglund to play him at wing and take up a forward slot that Jaskin, Paajarvi, or Rattie could have.

We're going to be very close to the cap just resigning Sobi and Schwartz to lowball offers, so I have to imagine we move someone for futures.

Could be Leopold though, in which case Jaskin might start the year in the AHL.

There's also Steen's friend Lindstrom that we signed a little while back. We have a log jam at the bottom 6 and it feels great.

Top Bottom