• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Higgins-Bonino-Jensen
Horvat-Matthias/Vey-Burrows
Kassian-Richardson/Vey-Hansen

? If Horvat or Jensen don't make the team, move the wingers up one line and slot in Sestito. Don't think Gaunce can crack the team, unless he's a better winger than Jensen or Horvat which I don't believe he is. A Comets first line of Horvat-Gaunce-Virtanen would be pretty balling too, though.

So damn happy with that Vrbata signing and contract. I'd have preferred Hiller over Miller, otherwise Benning did great things. I've had Vrbata in my fantasy leagues for 3 years straight and he puts up great numbers as a pure goal scorer.

Smiley90

We can't let ANY difference makers go to the East guys. Fucking none of them.

It's gonna be like this year where the West has to go through some very tough 7-game series and then obliterates whoever comes out of the East.

Only my money would be on Tampa to be that team in the East this year. West is a crapshoot to predict.

jaybeeze

Wow, we actully got Vrbata. Hope he does well here. Perfect contract, me thinks.

Probably will play with Sedins? Kinda don't mind him playing with Bonino, balance the skill on the top 6 a bit.

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen
Kassian - Bonino - Vrbata

If Jensen keeps improving and Kassian actually has someone who finishes in Vrbata, this could work out nicely.

Can Vey play wing? Does anyone know?

Yes. Pretty sure he's listed as a RW.

RC

Banned
So we aren't going to suck? Or just suck less?
It's probably the latter.

Like the signing. You're not so crazy after all Bennington.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm okay with passing on Vrbata at $5 M, Bergevin still has moves to make and can't handicap himself in case someone offer sheets Subban. Good deal for the Canucks though.

Only my money would be on Tampa to be that team in the East this year. West is a crapshoot to predict.
A lot of people said Ottawa would be one of the best Eastern teams last off season too. I still think Boston is at the top, Bishop will probably regress, but at least their defense is better now.

Parch

Making the playoffs in the powerhouse west isn`t going to be easy. This certainly helps the Canuck`s chances, but I`m not betting on it.

ZeroGravity

Lightning will make some noise next year but I still think they're too young to be a real contender yet. 2015-16 will probably be the year to really watch out for.

Vrbata instantly makes me feel a lot better about the Canucks.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Vrbata-Bonino-Kassian
Higgins-Vey-Hansen
Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett
Sestito

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Stanton-Weber
Sbisa

Miller
Lack

Canucks are strong in net and defense, assuming the Sedins and Burrows return to their normal success, then Vrbata makes an iffy looking 2nd line a lot better.

Red_Man

Tampa, Montreal, Pittsburgh, NYI, NJ, and even the Leafs all got better in the East.

Edit: ^^^ You still put Kassian on a 2nd line? Has he made that much progress?

Smiley90

Vrbata instantly makes me feel a lot better about the Canucks.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Vrbata-Bonino-Kassian
Higgins-Vey-Hansen
Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett
Sestito

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Tanev
Stanton-Weber
Sbisa

Miller
Lack

Canucks are strong in net and defense, assuming the Sedins and Burrows return to their normal success, then Vrbata makes an iffy looking 2nd line a lot better.

no. Also Vrbata is better than Burrows AND a RW, why the fuck would you put him on the second line AND the RW. Vrbata should start with the Sedins.

Tampa, Montreal, Pittsburgh, NYI, NJ, and even the Leafs all got better in the East.

no.

Socreges

Banned
User, you're the only one who said they're contenders now, no?

Damnit Nucks, you were supposed to be rebuilding.
If this isn't a playoff team come February, that could still be the plan. The best thing about the Miller and Vrbata contracts, in a way, is that they're short and attractive. We scored two big FAs without having to anchor ourselves to them. They can potentially be traded and get a decent return. That's at least one thing that I like about the new management so far - active but conservative.

Acid08

Banned
Is Thornton confirmed not moving?
He isn't budging on his NTC.

Hertl-Thornton-XXX
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels
Sheppard-Desjardins-Kennedy
(Scott, Brown, McGinn, Burish)

Vlasic-Burns
XXX-Braun
XXX-Demers

Niemi
Stalock

Irwin, Tennyson, Mueller, and Fedun will be fighting it out for those two LD spots. We have no one who should be playing with Thornton. Literal garbage, great fucking "rebuild" Doug.

Red_Man

Decent Vrbata contract, but in a way I'm glad the Habs didn't sign him for that.
I'm expecting Bergevin to move Pleks or DD for a winger. He had some quotes about how the youth took over last playoffs, and it's clear A.Gally needs to be at center now. Just needs to get Subban signed, and move a goalie and Moen. Also this Sekac guy could be a huge plus depending on how he turns out. Reporters have had some good things to say about him.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
User, you're the only one who said they're contenders now, no?

If this isn't a playoff team come February, that could still be the plan. The best thing about the Miller and Vrbata contracts, in a way, is that they're short and attractive. We scored two big FAs without having to anchor ourselves to them. They can potentially be traded and get a decent return. That's at least one thing that I like about the new management so far - active but conservative.

Good point, Vrbata would be a very attractive deadline acquisition either this year or next assuming his point totals hold up.

no. Also Vrbata is better than Burrows AND a RW, why the fuck would you put him on the second line AND the RW. Vrbata should start with the Sedins.
I just wanted to spread out the scoring. Burrows-Bonino-Kassian scares me a little in terms of offense. They can either be really good or really bad.

Yes. He scored 15 goals and 14 assists last season playing with two offensive deadweights in Booth and Richardson. If he plays with some skilled players this year, I think he can definitely hit 20 goals.

Samyy

If the Leafs got better its marginally.
What could make a difference is if we can get Legwand and if the kids are allowed to play (and are used by Carlyle)

Wow, the Canucks became contenders just like that!

6xtbs.png

Cactus

Banned
I hope Legwand decides to sign with the Leafs.

...then flip Reimer/Franson for a decent winger, sign a capable backup (please not Brodeur), and the team might not be terrible.

JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-???
Komarov-Legwand-Clarkson
Frattin-Holland-Ashton
Broll

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Rielly-Robidas
Polak-Granberg/Percy

Bernier
???

He isn't budging on his NTC.

Hertl-Thornton-XXX
Marleau-Couture-Nieto
Torres-Pavelski-Wingels
Sheppard-Desjardins-Kennedy
(Scott, Brown, McGinn, Burish)

Vlasic-Burns
XXX-Braun
XXX-Demers

Niemi
Stalock

Irwin, Tennyson, Mueller, and Fedun will be fighting it out for those two LD spots. We have no one who should be playing with Thornton. Literal garbage, great fucking "rebuild" Doug.

Jesus I don't even want to imagine the fucking hatred going on in that organization right now. Didn't DW call Thornton out not too long ago publicly?

Calamari41

41 > 38
Yeah the West is getting pretty stacked. I am willing to just award the Cup to the team that ends up with the best regular season record in the Western Conference. I am even willing to extend that to last year, awarding the Cup to whichever team that ended up being...

Smiley90

I just wanted to spread out the scoring. Burrows-Bonino-Kassian scares me a little in terms of offense. They can either be really good or really bad.

Yes. He scored 15 goals and 14 assists last season playing with two offensive deadweights in Booth and Richardson. If he plays with some skilled players this year, I think he can definitely hit 20 goals.

Get rid of Kassian on that line. Burrows can score, Bonino can score too, no? Then add a guy like Jensen or Horvat to that line out to prove themselves and you got yourself a decent second line. Kassian can wait in line behind the more talented guys.

Cactus

Banned
Polak plays on the right
Keep Reimer and flip Franson.
I'd prefer to keep him, but it sounds like he's ready to move on. I think Nonis is just posturing by stating that Reimer will be ready for camp; he probably wants to make sure the public nature of the situation doesn't negatively affect Reimer's trade value.

Acid08

Banned
6.1 million between Scott, Burish, Kennedy, and Brown. DW loves signing fucking shitty hockey players to fat contracts.

Get rid of Kassian on that line. Burrows can score, Bonino can score too, no? Then add a guy like Jensen or Horvat to that line out to prove themselves and you got yourself a decent second line. Kassian can wait in line behind the more talented guys.
Why would you rush guys like Jensen and Horvat into the top-six when you already have a guy who's ready to take the next step and is just waiting for an opportunity to play with skilled players.

There's no reason to put Jensen in Vancouver when he could be improving his game in Utica.

Smiley90

Why would you rush guys like Jensen and Horvat into the top-six when you already have a guy who's ready to take the next step and is just waiting for an opportunity to play with skilled players.

There's no reason to put Jensen in Vancouver when he could be improving his game in Utica.

I honestly think Horvat may be ready. Well see. If Vey plays wing I'd much rather see:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Higgins-Bonino-Burrows
Vey-Matthias-Kassian
Dorsett-Richardson-Hansen

Horvat can slot in at 2nd line wing or 3C if he's ready, Jensen either on the second or third line wing.

Top Bottom