• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

RC

Banned
Over here they were called "The Lebanese" and all their cousins would "come n smash u bro".

Kids grow up so fast these days.

Haha, over here it was the Indians, wearing the Indian (the mislabeled kind) motorcycle jackets with that bright orange inside layer.

TUSR

Banned
Thread died. Look at this masterpiece from gaming side.

waluigi-and-rosalina-c2six.jpg

We got Tye McGinn for a 3rd rounder today. What's his deal Flyers fans? I don't know what the fuck DW is trying to do with today's moves.

Servicable callup who looked like he might've had promise 'til he got punched in the eye.

IIRC, hard worker but not a lot of skill. Before the hit, I'd've liked to see him get a long look being dressed over Rinaldo, but he wasn't in a state for the NHL for a while. Hopefully he's back on track for you guys.

"We listed the words with the biggest recognition gap between gender below, along with numbers in parenthesis showing the percentage of men who knew the word followed by the percentage of women.

Here are the words that men were most likely to recognize over women:

codec (88, 48)
solenoid (87, 54)
golem (89, 56)
mach (93, 63)
humvee (88, 58)
claymore (87, 58)
scimitar (86, 58)
kevlar (93, 65)
paladin (93, 66)
bolshevism (85, 60)
biped (86, 61)
dreadnought (90, 66)
And here are the words that women were most likely to know over men:

taffeta (48, 87)
tresses (61, 93)
bottlebrush (58, 89)
flouncy (55, 86)
mascarpone (60, 90)
decoupage (56, 86)
progesterone (63, 92)
wisteria (61, 89)
taupe (66, 93)
flouncing (67, 94)
peony (70, 96)
bodice (71, 96)"

... I recognize ALL male words but only 2 of the 12 female words (mascarpone and progesterone), damn. WHAT ARE ALL THESE WORDS I'VE NEVER HEARD BEFORE.

Didn't recognize solenoid or scimitar for male. Only recognized taupe and bodice on the other side but couldn't tell you their meaning. Wtf are these words

Edit: nvm, I did know the mesning of taupe and bodice upon double checking. Still, what the hell at the rest.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Has Holland been fired yet?
Mike Johnson was on Montreal radio yesterday and was saying how Detroit has become a place that players don't want to play for anymore, in part to how shitty Detroit is and the fact that the team has fallen off a bit. Can't blame Holland if players refuse to sign there.

Mike Johnson was on Montreal radio yesterday and was saying how Detroit has become a place that players don't want to play for anymore, in part to how shitty Detroit is and the fact that the team has fallen off a bit. Can't blame Holland if players refuse to sign there.

Doesn't seem to be stopping the Tigers from signing top players plus most players live in the suburbs of the city which are actually really nice places, the second part about falling off I can believe since management seems to be happy with just keeping the streak alive and being a bubble team. I mean both Alfie and Weiss signed here last year, 2 of the bigger FA's. The problem I have is that Holland is pulling off lateral moves and making terrible trades. Sure they pitched for players and came up empty, that's fine, what is making people angry is some of the stupid desperation moves he is making that just make no sense. Oh, can't get that right handed top 4 D man you want, let's overpay and resign Quincey who is left handed and a fringe second pairing guy instead of just letting the kids play which they claimed they would do if they couldn't get anyone. Let's trade for Legwand and give up a 2nd and one of our top center prospects and then play him on the 4th line. Oh, you told Cleary you would look after him and try to sign him again this year even though he sucked and was injured, another stupid move (even though he hasn't signed just yet).

Don't forget that it was best to keep the kids in Grand Rapids until they are overripe when a lot are ready to play in the big leagues. Heck, Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, and Telletubby wouldn't have even played this year if it wasn't for all of our injuries and they are the main reason we even made the stupid playoffs.

So yes we can blame Holland, we can blame the coaching staff and the management, maybe not for players signing elsewhere, but for doing stupid moves that do nothing to improve the team whatsoever. It's all going down hill and they seem to have no clue on how to fix it besides saying, "we like our team", or "getting our players back from injuring is the best trade deadline acquisition". I think most people would have been fine with not getting anyone (still disappointed, but not overly angry) until they said they want to bring back Cleary along with resigning a Dman who sucks and doesn't help the team to an overpayment (at least it is only 2 years, should have been 1) all the while we have Dmen in the AHL who are ready to play but now won't get a shot for a while because of this. Our prospect pool is stacked and ready, so let's start using them if we can't land that big fish we wanted in FA. /rant

Red_Man

I'm just repeating what Mike Johnson said, he specifically mentioned how when players go to Detroit to play during the season, they don't like what they see and drive through. Rest of the stuff is on management, sure.

Edit: According to Renaud Lavoie, Vrbata has a NTC of 8 teams he can accept a trade to.

When did goth/metal/hard rock become synonymous with emo? Real emo couldn't be further from that.

Because of the shitty 2007 metalcore trend hijacking the term and spawning a teen subculture from it.

It was horrible. Apparently if you like metal, you were an emo. It created a movement of metal fans who were so angry at the mid-2000s "emo" movement that they would stop at no amount of homophobic slurs and hypocritical vitriol to try and distance themselves from it. Becoming the exact same hypocrites they were angry against, and even sinking lower, while tarnishing the reputation of those who were loosely associated with them.

Because of the shitty 2007 metalcore trend hijacking the term and spawning a teen subculture from it.

It was horrible. Apparently if you like metal, you were an emo. It created a movement of metal fans who were so angry at the mid-2000s "emo" movement that they would stop at no amount of homophobic slurs and hypocritical vitriol to try and distance themselves from it. Becoming the exact same hypocrites they were angry against, and even sinking lower, while tarnishing the reputation of those who were loosely associated with them.

To be fair, mainstream metal has been pretty much garbage since Metallica put out reload. Korn, Slipknot, these were all just signposts on the way to lamesville.

You mean that whole 1998 'nu-metal' movement?

Yes, I agree.

Fortunately, there is a LOT of good music still coming out.

Oh absolutely. I was lucky that by that time I at least had enough friends into punk and hardcore that I had a legitimate place to go for some angry music.

I feel like Dashboard Confessional shares a significant portion of the blame.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Lego City Undercover ending. So good.

Yes! That final sequence absolutely blew me away, especially when I saw what was coming way down below. Amazing game. Anybody with a Wii U needs to play it.

I can't stand this fad. It makes legitimate sufferers of gluten intolerance look like hipsters.

When someone makes a big deal about how they won't eat something with gluten, I like to ask "what is gluten?" I have yet to get an answer. Not to say that people don't actually have celiac disease or gluten intolerance. Just most people don't.

You're a Ducks fan now to make things right. Teemu away jersey or home jersey? Wear it to wash away your sins.

vqXxkUX.jpg

No, no, no. Kaeptain will just Walder Frey us!

Cake Boss

Banned
What must have been increasingly clear to Spezza is that the Senators currently lack a coherent strategy that will ultimately lead to success — a reason to believe. On Tuesday, general manager Bryan Murray said the low-spending team will be competitive next season because it’ll be “hard-working.”

Except you don’t win on hard work alone. The best way to build a winner on the cheap, which is what Ottawa is trying to do, is to lose for a while and draft blue chip prospects who are forced to work for cheap, then find some undervalued pieces on the open market. The Senators can sell a rebuild or they can sell a big-spending winner now, but selling a lunch-pail crew that struggles to make the playoffs every year is a dead end. Fans want a winner, not the Toronto Maple Leafs without the money.

Dat ether by the Citizen this morning.

Refreshing to see a media outlet not sucking on Melnyks dick like the Sun and on an agenda to drive our skilled players out of town ( Hossa, Alfie, Giggles, Karlsson etc) while praising stupid useless turds like Philips, Neil, Greening, Kassian etc

Razorskin

----- ------
Oh, that just reminds me.

Fat people using those fucking machines because they're too lazy to walk. Like that's gonna help.

And yes, I know thyroid problems and fuck that shit, that's not that common and it's an even more common excuse. Obesity is not a goddamn disease, it's because they're fat and lazy.

... I shouldn't post when I'm angry, should I.

Check your thin privilege.

Red_Man

Seeing Ottawa implode after kicking our asses in the playoffs has been very therapeutic.

So that Hiller quote from earlier was a butcher. Here's the full Hiller quote...

“There are always pros and cons on both things. I think I always said in Anaheim it would be nice if people would be a little more into hockey and then in the afternoon if you have a day off or whatever you’re kind of happy that no one cares what you’re doing. So I’m definitely excited to kind of like join a team where people and the city care more about it. I’m really excited about it. Sure, it’s probably going to be a little change and it’ll probably take me a couple of days to adjust that there are probably a few more people in the dressing room after practice and after games, but yeah, at the same time I’m really excited to be part of a team where the city really cares and the people are into it and people really know about hockey.”

Barely even close to what was being reported before, and you'd have to be an idiot to deny that Calgary is more into hockey than Anaheim.

Naturally you can tell who butchered the quote in the first place since it puts "Kings" in there

"We listed the words with the biggest recognition gap between gender below, along with numbers in parenthesis showing the percentage of men who knew the word followed by the percentage of women.

Here are the words that men were most likely to recognize over women:

codec (88, 48)
solenoid (87, 54)
golem (89, 56)
mach (93, 63)
humvee (88, 58)
claymore (87, 58)
scimitar (86, 58)
kevlar (93, 65)
paladin (93, 66)
bolshevism (85, 60)
biped (86, 61)
dreadnought (90, 66)
And here are the words that women were most likely to know over men:

taffeta (48, 87)
tresses (61, 93)
bottlebrush (58, 89)
flouncy (55, 86)
mascarpone (60, 90)
decoupage (56, 86)
progesterone (63, 92)
wisteria (61, 89)
taupe (66, 93)
flouncing (67, 94)
peony (70, 96)
bodice (71, 96)"

... I recognize ALL male words but only 2 of the 12 female words (mascarpone and progesterone), damn. WHAT ARE ALL THESE WORDS I'VE NEVER HEARD BEFORE.

I only don't know solenoid. On the other side, I know what mascarpone and poenys are, and i recognize bodice and tresses but I can't tell you what they mean.

Calamari41

41 > 38
So that Hiller quote from earlier was a butcher. Here's the full Hiller quote...

Barely even close to what was being reported before, and you'd have to be an idiot to deny that Calgary is more into hockey than Anaheim.

Naturally you can tell who butchered the quote in the first place since it puts "Kings" in there

So he never even mentioned the Kings? Hmm. I've always found the Kings obsession with the Ducks to be really interesting. Like, they just won the Cup... yet still we're what is on their minds apparently?

Razorskin

----- ------
Leafs signed Kontiola to a 1 year deal. He played with Komarov in Europe.
3rd line C

Leafs want to give Cherry a heart attack.

Why was the cap low this year? Did they not include the TV money yet?
Here's a good article on it:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ry-cap-got-set-at-69-million/article19387905/

It was a difference of only $2-million (U.S.), but it had NHL general managers fretting all the same as the league attempted to finalize the salary cap prior to the draft.

On one side, there was a host of big-market teams – such as the Boston Bruins and Philadelphia Flyers – feeling the pinch, arguing for a $70-million-plus ceiling to bail them out with a little extra room and free agency approaching.

On the other, the small-market clubs were more concerned about the salary floor, which rises in concert with the cap and has forced teams like Florida to spend unwisely in the past to simply be compliant.

But the biggest hurdle was getting the players to buy in and agree to a bigger number.

As strange as it sounds, the National Hockey League Players’ Association fought for a lower salary cap, wanting it to be tied to last season’s revenues, which ultimately came in at closer to $3.62-billion than the $3.7-billion that was rumoured during the Stanley Cup finals.

That lower revenue number would have meant a $68-million cap – a rise of only $3.7-million from last year – and it was that figure that had several GMs that expected it to exceed $70-million getting anxious.

The players’ biggest issue with a higher cap number comes back to escrow. Players lost nearly 10 per cent of their paycheques last season due to it and didn’t want to see that rise.

While raising the cap benefits the thin crop of players going to unrestricted free agency on Tuesday, it actually hurts all those with existing contracts, as the pool of money is redistributed each year based on revenues.

The behemoth new contract defenceman Matt Niskanen is expected to sign on July 1, for example, isn’t so much a dollar figure as a shifting share of league revenues, a percentage that would theoretically be higher if all the teams bidding for him had more to spend.

Ultimately, the NHL and the NHLPA had to come up with a compromise on the cap number. The league’s new collective agreement allows the two sides to factor in large new sources of revenue – like the 12-year, $5.2-billion TV deal they signed with Rogers that kicks in this fall – ahead of schedule when it comes to the cap calculation.

Of that new money, there was roughly $100-million for next season alone that was above and beyond the previous Canadian TV contract.

Including all of that TV revenue growth would have boosted the cap $2-million to $70-million, which is what the league pushed for.

The NHLPA’s resistance, however, led to them including only half of the Rogers cash for 2014-15, which is how they settled on a $69-million cap and $51-million floor.

That’s good news for the free-agent class of 2015.

Factoring in all of the new revenue this weekend would have meant no sizable boost a year from now.

As it currently stands, the 2015-16 salary cap should now easily exceed $74-million.

Which means that whoever next year’s Niskanen is can be just as handsomely rewarded for making it to July 1.

So he never even mentioned the Kings? Hmm. I've always found the Kings obsession with the Ducks to be really interesting. Like, they just won the Cup... yet still we're what is on their minds apparently?

Too much hate in their hearts. Gotta let some of it vent every now and then. And by "then" I mean "every 20 seconds".

Oh, that just reminds me.

Fat people using those fucking machines because they're too lazy to walk. Like that's gonna help.

And yes, I know thyroid problems and fuck that shit, that's not that common and it's an even more common excuse. Obesity is not a goddamn disease, it's because they're fat and lazy.

... I shouldn't post when I'm angry, should I
Goddamn smells. You're not technically wrong, but a lot if people use food as a means to cope instead of (or in tandem with) booze or drugs. Being fat isn't a disease but commonly a symptom of something far worse that has gone uncared for. There's nothing you or anyone can say about them that they don't say to themselves constantly. That never gets to the core issue anyway, it just gives an excuse to isolate further and eat more.

As a former fatty I hold these truths to be self evident.

https://twitter.com/john_a_nguyen/status/484429880625332224

Yeah, it was out of context and Kings weren't mentioned he was speaking about the whole CA market.

Kings twitter retweeted the misquoted tweet and ran with it. Didn't check on the transcript or audio (interview with Calgary radio station). Interviewer was just trying to hype up the Canadian market.

https://twitter.com/john_a_nguyen/status/484429880625332224

Yeah, it was out of context and Kings weren't mentioned he was speaking about the whole CA market.

Kings twitter retweeted the misquoted tweet and ran with it. Didn't check on the transcript or audio (interview with Calgary radio station). Interviewer was just trying to hype up the Canadian market.

Anderson said something similar about the Avs and the fans here when he left to the Sens. It's hilarious because the dude got the biggest night and standing ovation of his career here. Kings weren't doing anything Hiller wasn't doing, trying to make themselves seem better than their surroundings.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Apparently the Wings are talking to Santorelli?

WHY? He's a center.

Apparently the Wings are talking to Santorelli?

WHY? He's a center.

Sign all the scraps!!!

He has had one good season and looking to cash in probably, oh and he went to Northern Michigan and is a right handed shot. To be honest, I would just use a kid or something.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is basically Holland panic mode.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Leafs sign kontiola

Looking at his numbers... they are all impressive... he always dominates international competitions.

Looking at footage... he is super skilled

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp5BwsR7uGU

Why the hell did he never become a blackhawk regular...

Heh apparently he lost his roster spot to bolland... he is back for REVENGE

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
So, the Isles have too many forwards at this point, have to be considering moving someone for another Dman. My best guess:

Nelson - Tavares- Okposo

Nielsen - Grabo - Kulemin

Lee - Strome - Grabner

Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

Call it a hunch, but I think theyre more likely to move Nielsen to the wing than Strome. And this leaves Josh Bailey as the odd man out.

Any one of Lee, Nielsen, Bailey could be moved I guess. Who's got a defensemen for me?
not Phaneuf

So, the Isles have too many forwards at this point, have to be considering moving someone for another Dman. My best guess:

Nelson - Tavares- Okposo

Nielsen - Grabo - Kulemin

Lee - Strome - Grabner

Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

Call it a hunch, but I think theyre more likely to move Nielsen to the wing than Strome. And this leaves Josh Bailey as the odd man out.

Any one of Lee, Nielsen, Bailey could be moved I guess. Who's got a defensemen for me?
not Phaneuf

kyle-quincey-495x316.jpg

Top Bottom