• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2014 |OT| - O stands for Overhaul

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I hope we miss the playoffs this year, I hope that is what it takes to finally get some real change going for this team.

"We missed the playoffs. Obviously, we need some real change."

*Trades away all young talent*

I hope you're right about 3 on 3. I just have a feeling coaches like Babcock put 2 D-men out every time.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Let's say 3 on 3 play starts and Sidney Crosby flops like the fish out of water he is and draws a penalty. Do they get 2 mins of 3 on 2? Because if so, game over man.

That sounds less entertaining and less fair than a shootout.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I hope you're right about 3 on 3. I just have a feeling coaches like Babcock put 2 D-men out every time.
Even if coaches do this, there's too much space for it to be effective. You'll lose more often than not if you're doing that, unless you have a guy like Subban, Karlsson, OEL, etc, on who can drive the offense.

I can't wait to see Carlyle with a 3 on 3. Orr, McLaren and for the hell of it, Clarkson.

Don't worry, you have the offensive power house of Quincey to call upon should these changes make it to the NHL.

Red_Man

I can't wait to see Carlyle with a 3 on 3. Orr, McLaren and for the hell of it, Clarkson.
bms-don-cherry-5-march-2011.jpg

ShaneB

Love those AHL overtime rule changes. Hope they pan out to the NHL. ANYTHING to get rid of the shootout is a good thing. I imagine it's a case of finally seeing how playoff overtime can draw in fans, and bringing a little bit of that back to the regular season.

And yes, I've said many times, drop the loser point in any case. A team could magically go, 10-0-72, end up with 92 points and make the playoffs. Wacky.

Red_Man

I'm assuming Cleary has some photo evidence of Holland doing coke off a strippers ass. It's the only explanation.

Here's a suggestion Holland, why don't you give me one million bucks to play 10 games. Odds are I can do no worse than Dan Cleary, plus I can actually skate, something Cleary can no longer do!!!

This offseason really can't get any worse...

No wait, Holland will find a way to make it worse by trading away young talent or an old declining vet.

Edit:

Or not, guess the Summer of pain is over!!!

The Detroit Red Wings no longer are exploring the free-agent market for bargains, and trade talks have slowed down.

General manager Ken Holland anticipates a quiet summer.

The Red Wings are still hoping to acquire a top-four right-handed shooting defenseman through a trade. And they might sign right wing Daniel Alfredsson next month.

Other than that, their roster is set. They have 14 forwards, seven defensemen and two goaltenders (including restricted free agents Tomas Tatar and Danny DeKeyser) – the same players as last season.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This offseason really can't get any worse...

No wait, Holland will find a way to make it worse by trading away young talent or an old declining vet.

Edit:

Or not, guess the Summer of pain is over!!!

So they sign Alfredsson and then have 15 forwards.

Oh, and then give Mantha a "legitimate shot to make the team."

LOL

Samyy

It would be pretty amazing if Stamkos pulled a LeBron and left for Toronto when he's a UFA

Not going to happen.
This delusion that some fans have about Stamkos/Tavares is silly.

I just don't think there is a culture like that in hockey, a lot of these guys are very loyal compared to basketball players, seems like every big basketball player is always looking for a move.

Red_Man

Taking his talents to Mimico
:lol

Not going to happen.
This delusion that some fans have about Stamkos/Tavares is silly.

I just don't think there is a culture like that in hockey, a lot of these guys are very loyal compared to basketball players, seems like every big basketball player is always looking for a move.
I agree, but just entertaining the thought of it and the explosion that would result in Toronto and other places is incredibly amusing.

Samyy

My loins!

Also for actual hockey news on this joyous day of Lebronukah:

Leafs name Steve Spott and Peter Horachek as the assistant coaches.

Kave you're getting old, so late.

:lol

I agree, but just entertaining the thought of it and the explosion that would result in Toronto and other places is incredibly amusing.

I guess the closest comparable is Minnesota, all them Minny kids going home.

Socreges

Banned
Eventually a great Ontario player still in their prime not named Clarkson will sign for the Leafs. Eventually. And when that happens the years of rumours and fantasising will be justified: 'See, we were right all along!'

Quick

Banned
The only time we ever get the big hometown guys is when they're broken down and on the verge of retirement.

Rare cases being Bolland and Clarkson, and those worked out just fine.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
It would be pretty amazing if Stamkos pulled a LeBron and left for Toronto when he's a UFA

Toronto won't have any money left when they give Tavares the richest contract in NHL History, a key to the city, half ownership of the team, and finished copies of the last two Game of Thrones books in 2018.

Red_Man

I guess the closest comparable is Minnesota, all them Minny kids going home.
True, but none of those guys are on the same level as a Stamkos.

The only time we ever get the big hometown guys is when they're broken down and on the verge of retirement.
:(

Toronto won't have any money left when they give Tavares the richest contract in NHL History, a key to the city, half ownership of the team, and finished copies of the last two Game of Thrones books in 2018.
:lol :lol

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

What happened to you man? You used to be cool.

Merguson

Banned
Jason Spezza will be a Leaf once he hits free agency, I guarantee it.
All of this happens after his probable contract extension with the Stars expires.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
What happened to you man? You used to be cool.

Kave, pls. I'm just being realistic.

Hopefully he develops such a love for Brooklyn's fine array of hipster coffee and gourmet hot dog joints that he stays on for less than 10mil annually.

And hopefully by 2018 we have new ownership and a competent GM. I'm sad to hear nothing announced on the Barroway front, I had it from a pretty reliable source that the deal was all but done during the Cup Finals.

Top Bottom